KNNSpeed

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

354 posts in this topic

Something to do with the "slide" boot argument. I don't use it, so I don't know  too terribly much about it other than it finds an empty memory region to load something (boot.efi maybe?).  If slide=0 doesn't work, then you'll have to ask the 9550 guys about how to fix that.

Advertisement

NOTICE: The official AppleALC now contains layout-id 72. There's no more need to download the AppleALC.kext.zip file from this post.

NEW!

After several weeks of toiling (it's July already?!), here's a new audio solution for perfect working audio. I basically ported the linux driver and created a GUI popup menu to configure the combo jack (see screenshot).

Features:

• Fully working Combo Jack! (Heaphones, headset, AND line-in!)
  • New verb sending kext (no more need for CodecCommander on systems without EAPD troubles; VerbStub is simply a direct port of hda-verb for Linux)
  • Launchdaemon with Windows-like pop-up menu monitors the jack for insertion
  • Automatic OMTP (Nokia)/CTIA (iPhone) detection for headsets!
  • Fully commented sources

Notes:

• Line-in mode disables audio output. I haven't been able to re-enable the speakers when the jack is purely an input, but that's the only "issue"
  • Zero "no audio after sleep" issues so far
  • Make sure to turn off "Use ambient noise reduction" when using an input that isn't the internal Mic (unless you find that it helps)

How does it work?

Simple! Due to the way the Realtek codec is set up on this machine, the ComboJack program watches the jack and switches the codec selector (node 0x22) to the correct input after applying all the requisite processing coefficients and pin widgets. This means that Mac OS only sees a built-in mic, but behind the scenes it actually is connecting to the headset and line-in ports. This works because all input paths lead through selector node  0x22 and into capture node 0x09, and the OS only acknowledges the capture node.

How to install (uses modded AppleALC):

1. Disable SIP (I use 0x67 for CSRActiveConfig and 0xEE for booterconfig)
  2. Remove ALCPlugFix from /usr/bin (may need to kill with Activity Monitor first)
  3. Remove good.win.ALCPlugFix.plist from /Library/LaunchAgents (may need to launchctl unload first)
  4. Remove CodecCommander from Clover/kexts/Other (unless you need it, but it looks like the 9560 doesn't)
  5. Copy VerbStub.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  6. Copy AppleALC** to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  7. Change layout-id to 72 (in SSDT-Config -- 0x48 is hex)
  8. Run install.sh and read what it says
  9. Reboot (and enable SIP if you want)!

Download "ComboJack Installer.zip" and "AppleALC.kext.zip" for everything. The other zips are sources.

(Also included in "ComboJack Installer" is a folder containing the platform, layout, and pinconfigs used.)

**AppleALC now includes this layout (layout-id 72) in the official release.

ComboJack Installer.zip

post-1024628-0-65208600-1499361809_thumb.png

VerbStub Source.zip

Combo Jack Source.zip

AppleALC.kext.zip

@KNNSpeed

Hello. Did you try install HS?
i remember your brightness fix.

You used AL0 ssdt(now not remember name correctly) with fakesmc some keys(5) to fix brigtness save after reboot

In sierra, yes its no problem. But in HS, its not working. I wonder it whether you check or not.

Thanks in advance

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Something to do with the "slide" boot argument. I don't use it, so I don't know  too terribly much about it other than it finds an empty memory region to load something (boot.efi maybe?).  If slide=0 doesn't work, then you'll have to ask the 9550 guys about how to fix that.

That solved the error!

Rebooted several time, and I didn't get the stop sign anymore. :thumbsup_anim:

@KNNSpeed

Hello. Did you try install HS?

i remember your brightness fix in t***** *ite.

You used AL0 ssdt(now not remember name correctly) with fakesmc some keys(5) to fix brigtness save after reboot

In sierra, yes its no problem. But in HS, its not working. I wonder it whether you check or not.

Thanks in advance

Hello! 

I haven't installed HS yet--I'm going to wait until official release for that. However, I believe blayze® in this thread has been using HS for a while:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320016-dell-xps-15-9560-version-2017-compatibility-information/page-10

Unfortunately that's all I know about that.  :blush:

Thanks for this solution.

7. Change layout-id to 72 (in SSDT-Config -- 0x48 is hex)

Do you mean editting "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-Config.aml"?

SSDT≤èhackRMCFINTL [ÇL(RMCF_ADRL$HELPp
TYPE indicates type of the computer. 0: desktop, 1: laptop[1p
HIGH selects display type. 1: high resolution, 2: low resolution[1p
IGPI overrides ig-platform-id or snb-platform-id[1p
DPTS for laptops only. 1: enables/disables DGPU in _WAK/_PTS[1p
SHUT enables shutdown fix. 1: disables _PTS code when Arg0==5[1p
AUDL indicates audio layout-id for patched AppleHDA. Ones: no injection[1p
BKLT indicates the type of backlight control. 0: IntelBacklight, 1: AppleBacklight[1p
LMAX indicates max for IGPU PWM backlight. Ones: Use default, other values must match framebuffer[1TYPEHIGHIGPIDPTSSHUTAUDL
BKLTLMAXl

Hello!

I haven't installed HS yet--I'm going to wait until official release for that. However, I believe blayze® in this thread has been using HS for a while:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320016-dell-xps-15-9560-version-2017-compatibility-information/page-10

Unfortunately that's all I know about that. :blush:

Okay. no need to hurry. I just exprienced this issue in HS DP1 on xps 12 and report you.

Now i dont have xps12. Have a great day.

Thanks for this solution.

Do you mean editting "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-Config.aml"?

SSDT≤èhackRMCFINTL [ÇL(RMCF_ADRL$HELPpTYPE indicates type of the computer. 0: desktop, 1: laptop[1pHIGH selects display type. 1: high resolution, 2: low resolution[1pIGPI overrides ig-platform-id or snb-platform-id[1pDPTS for laptops only. 1: enables/disables DGPU in _WAK/_PTS[1pSHUT enables shutdown fix. 1: disables _PTS code when Arg0==5[1pAUDL indicates audio layout-id for patched AppleHDA. Ones: no injection[1pBKLT indicates the type of backlight control. 0: IntelBacklight, 1: AppleBacklight[1pLMAX indicates max for IGPU PWM backlight. Ones: Use default, other values must match framebuffer[1TYPEHIGHIGPIDPTSSHUTAUDLBKLTLMAXl
Correct file. Don't edit with a text editor, though. An easy way to do it is to open with MaciASL and change the value next to "AUDL" to 0x48 (which is 72 in hex), then save. You did it right if, in System Profiler -> Audio, click "Intel High Definition Audio" and see if it says "Audio ID: 72"

Can anyone confirm if they've managed to successfully complete KNNSpeed's tutorial with a Lite-On CX2 SSD? 

I'm finding conflicting information on whether this drive supports 4k sector sizes or not. According to some sources, it does not. Yet there is a thread on InsanelyMac where it seems people have gotten this Lite-On drive to work.  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-43

Also, over on Tonymacx86 someone successfully hacked a Dell XPS 13 with a Lite-On CX2. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9360-on-macos-sierra-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/page-16

Can someone clarify? Thanks!

NEW!

After several weeks of toiling (it's July already?!), here's a new audio solution for perfect working audio. I basically ported the linux driver and created a GUI popup menu to configure the combo jack (see screenshot).

~~~

Reporting in, just tested using my iPhone headset all good and working here. Can't test the line thing as I don't have the equipment for such.

Your solution is brilliant. Thanks for your efforts on your hack and all of ours.

Can anyone confirm if they've managed to successfully complete KNNSpeed's tutorial with a Lite-On CX2 SSD? 

I'm finding conflicting information on whether this drive supports 4k sector sizes or not. According to some sources, it does not. Yet there is a thread on InsanelyMac where it seems people have gotten this Lite-On drive to work.  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-43

Also, over on Tonymacx86 someone successfully hacked a Dell XPS 13 with a Lite-On CX2. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9360-on-macos-sierra-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/page-16

Can someone clarify? Thanks!

Where's the source that says it does not? Rehabman confirms in the first link you posted, it's the 3rd post. He's pretty damn knowledgable. Your second post the guy with the CX2 says "I'm not using HackrNVMeFamily.kext nor SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml." Those files are only necessary for 512 nvme drives. I think it should be crystal clear now that you do in fact have a 4K sector drive.

At any rate you could even if it's not 4K, I'm using a Samsung which is 512 and it works fine as long as you go and find a guide for that. Also I believe in high sierra or maybe even the next version of sierra we'll have native support for 512 nvme drives as well.

Correct file. Don't edit with a text editor, though. An easy way to do it is to open with MaciASL and change the value next to "AUDL" to 0x48 (which is 72 in hex), then save. You did it right if, in System Profiler -> Audio, click "Intel High Definition Audio" and see if it says "Audio ID: 72"

That's what I thought, just used the wrong hex editer :)

So after couple of hours, it seams the new audio driver seems to work, but the bluetooth and wifi issues returned... After waking from sleep bluetooth and/or wifi don't work anymore. (before it was only bluetooth) After a reboot, it takes my laptop sometimes 2-4 min to boot into MacOS and bluetooth and wifi are not available in that case. A reboot fixes the issue (it boots than fast again)

Strange behavior...

Use this in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

In the info.plist inside this kext, add the identifier of the kext you need to enable wifi in OSBundleLibraries, and change the version numbers of the other entries (that aren't Mac OS system entries) to match the version numbers of the kexts you have in that same folder. It might be the case that kexts that need to load early just aren't.

Details: https://github.com/PMheart/LiluFriend

If that doesn't work, boot in verbose mode and see if you can spot any errors. 

LiluFriend.kext.zip

Hi, I just installed Sierra successfully. But I got a problem. I think the font and content on Sierra is not as clear as those on Windows. When I try to get a screenshot, I notice that the screen is actually working at 1080P mode, not at 4K. Is it the possible reason? Or does MacOS actually does works in this way?

Where's the source that says it does not? Rehabman confirms in the first link you posted, it's the 3rd post. He's pretty damn knowledgable. Your second post the guy with the CX2 says "I'm not using HackrNVMeFamily.kext nor SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml." Those files are only necessary for 512 nvme drives. I think it should be crystal clear now that you do in fact have a 4K sector drive.

Don't remember the exact forums, but I've seen members say the Lite-On is incompatible. Also, wmchris says the drive won't work according to the link posted by KNNSpeed. https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/4k_sector.md

This is what has led to the confusion for me. I'm happy to hear that the Lite-On works though! Sorry, I'm new to all of this and still trying to make sense of everything.

That's HiDPI mode for you. Apple for whatever reason refuses to allow native resolution to work on their own super high-res laptop panels. If you want native, unscaled 4K, you need to use this:

https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM

I just tried it. But under 4K resolution, contents are not displayed properly, so I just go back with 1080P. Even though it is not as sharp as in Windows but it's good enough so I will just go with it now.

I found another weird issue. I replaced my Killer1535 with DW1560, but I found that when the network usage is just over a little bit heavy (e.g. open some new sites on Chrome or download a small software), my bluetooth mouse will lag and respond slowly. Sometimes the computer will automatically disconnect with the bluetooth mouse. I am not sure whether it is the problem with the DW1560 or the MacOS or even the mouse. Do you know what's the possible reason for this?

And hopefully finally, the gestures are not working!! All the gestures in "More Gestures" except for mission control are not working. To be mentioned, if I changed "Swipe between full-screen apps" and "App Expose" to four fingers, the trackpad works a little bit. For "Swipe between full-screen apps" it works, while for "App Expose", it is working like hiding the current app to the dock. Can you help me out? Thank you very much!!

I can't be much help about the DW1560, but the touchpad issues have been answered already. 

Use System preferences --> mouse, not system preferences -> trackpad.

&

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324366-dell-xps-15-9560-4k-touch-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-100-adobergb​/?p=2443242

(bottom half of my post)

It's also addressed in the very first post (post-install section, step 8).

I can't be much help about the DW1560, but the touchpad issues have been answered already. 

&

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324366-dell-xps-15-9560-4k-touch-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-100-adobergb​/?p=2443242

(bottom half of my post)

It's also addressed in the very first post (post-install section, step 8).

Yes I saw it. My problem is not about trackpad moving; it is about gestures. I think your second and third one is more related to that. But how do I "set the various gestures as "keyboard shortcuts" in SysPrefs"? How can I "maps these swipes to keyboard combos"?

Don't remember the exact forums, but I've seen members say the Lite-On is incompatible. Also, wmchris says the drive won't work according to the link posted by KNNSpeed. https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/4k_sector.md

This is what has led to the confusion for me. I'm happy to hear that the Lite-On works though! Sorry, I'm new to all of this and still trying to make sense of everything.

No need to be sorry. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, it's just all the links said to me that their was no confustion. I'd say try it the 4K method way first, if that fails then try the 512 method. Either way I'm pretty sure you'll be fine eventually and then can let people in the future know which method to use.

Yes I saw it. My problem is not about trackpad moving; it is about gestures. I think your second and third one is more related to that. But how do I "set the various gestures as "keyboard shortcuts" in SysPrefs"? How can I "maps these swipes to keyboard combos"?

I asked KNNSpeed this in another thread and he gave a great explanation here.

Thanks @blazinsmokey. I knew I had answered it more thoroughly somewhere.

In other news:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ALL 9560 OWNERS

Dell has released a BIOS update 1.3.4. It is incredibly important to update ASAP because it fixes a very serious Kaby Lake hyperthreading bug:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/skylake-kaby-lake-chips-have-a-crash-bug-with-hyperthreading-enabled/

I did a complete examination on the new BIOS today and it does not break or change anything that is getting patched, and it doesn't even require reapplying the HWP bios mod. I've updated the first post accordingly. Please use the new BIOS.

No need to be sorry. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, it's just all the links said to me that their was no confustion. I'd say try it the 4K method way first, if that fails then try the 512 method. Either way I'm pretty sure you'll be fine eventually and then can let people in the future know which method to use.

I asked KNNSpeed this in another thread and he gave a great explanation here.

Thanks. I somehow get it, but I am not sure whether my understanding is correct. For example, for the "Show Notification Center", which is in both keyboard shortcuts and trackpad gestures, I change the value of "Show Notification Center" in keyboard shortcuts to swipe left from right edge with two fingers (I mean instead of choosing keys on the keyboard, I change the value to the action on the trackpad). Is this what you are suggesting?

But for some gestures that are in trackpad gestures but not in keyboard shortcuts, I don't know how to map them to keyboard shortcuts. Because there's no way for me to map a value for them!

The last problem is "Pinch / Spread with thumb and three fingers" never worked. I tried to change the value of "show desktop" from F11 to "Spread with thumb and three fingers", but the computer did not recognizing the gesture on my trackpad.

I found another weird issue. I replaced my Killer1535 with DW1560, but I found that when the network usage is just over a little bit heavy (e.g. open some new sites on Chrome or download a small software), my bluetooth mouse will lag and respond slowly. Sometimes the computer will automatically disconnect with the bluetooth mouse. I am not sure whether it is the problem with the DW1560 or the MacOS or even the mouse. Do you know what's the possible reason for this?

To anyone who is interested in, I found the solution. This problem is due to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference in 2.4GHz. When I connect to a 5GHz Wi-Fi, problem solved. But in a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, both the Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth connection become very unstable.

Thanks. I somehow get it, but ......

But for some gestures that are in trackpad gestures but not in keyboard shortcuts, I don't know how to map them to keyboard shortcuts. Because there's no way for me to map a value for them!

First off the trackpad gestures options are limited and not ideal to use for how sycl adjusted voodoops2. I don't believe it works, haven't been able to figure out pinch to zoom in any capacity.

I had a hard time grasping it at first as well. I'll try my best to explain our trackpad situation.

So the 4 finger swipe up, shows desktop. F11 is also show desktop. The trackpad gesture is actually just inputting F11 or in our case FN+F11. Not the actual gesture. Another example is 3 finger swipe left and right is back and forth but it's actually just inputting cmd+[ and cmd+].

Now your thinking well what the hell are all these trackpad gestures linked to. If you go to the keyboard shortcuts and then Mission board, on one of the items like Mission Control, click the area to change one of the shortcuts to bring the text box that captures your keyboard strokes. Now instead of pressing any keys use the trackpad and whatever gesture. Viola, it'll show you the matching keystrokes.

In your example, not sure what you want done but in the keyboard shortcuts just select show notification center and swipe from the right side into the trackpad and it'll show ^+cmd+9. Viola now that trackpad gesture is linked to that action.