KNNSpeed

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

354 posts in this topic

I have a DW1560 as well but can't really test "full speed" but when I open Network Utility > Info it says Link Speed 289Mbit/s. Curious as what yours says.

IIRC, it was always connected at full speed but for some reason never performed at that until I disabled+enabled it.

Also link speed will also depend on your router's capability, settings, and signal quality.

I'm currently connected at full speed 867mbps (for the DW1560)

post-452355-0-67132300-1497964035_thumb.png

Advertisement

Hello Hello !

I decided to buy an Magic mouse lol because the trackpad is like... Horrible lol.

But recently I have seen that the mouse is lagging.. I put all the kext needed and don't understand why it's happening. 

I'm very close to my computer lol couple of centimeters.

If someone has already seen this..

(My bluetooth headset is cutting the music sometimes as well)

Thanks for your help guys !

Michael

IIRC, it was always connected at full speed but for some reason never performed at that until I disabled+enabled it.

Also link speed will also depend on your router's capability, settings, and signal quality.

I'm currently connected at full speed 867mbps (for the DW1560)

Thank you for sharing that screenshot. I am at full speed now thanks to looking at your network specs. I noticed your channel 100, 5Ghz, 80Mhz. Mine was 165, 5Ghz, 20Mhz. I scanned on my phone to see all the different WiFi networks and their channels, turns out I had new neighbors move in very recently and they set their router to use the same channel. I switched channels and bam 5zGhz, 80Mhz and 867Mbit/s now. Link speed in Network Utility now says 1Gbit now so that leaves me to believe it gives you actual network lan speeds. :)

post-1364638-0-60790800-1497988900_thumb.png

I have restarted 4-5 times and it always starts full speed now. Maybe something is wrong with your settings if no problems arise in other OS?

These are the patches I needed for the DW1560 and of course the appropriate kexts (FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext,BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext)

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360 - fcvo - enable WiFi oscillator (10.12)</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				gflSqgAAdSk=
				</data>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.12.x</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				gflSqgAAZpA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360 5Ghz #a country code (#a means global), allows 1.3Gbps/80mhz channels on 5GHz DW1830 (credit darkvoid, filequit)</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QYP8/3QsSA==
				</data>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.11,10.12</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				ZscGVVPrKw==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.11-BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot-lisai9093</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				4885ff7447488b07
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOBluetoothFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				41be0f000000eb44
				</data>
			</dict>

Thank you for sharing that screenshot. I am at full speed now thanks to looking at your network specs. I noticed your channel 100, 5Ghz, 80Mhz. Mine was 165, 5Ghz, 20Mhz. I scanned on my phone to see all the different WiFi networks and their channels, turns out I had new neighbors move in very recently and they set their router to use the same channel. I switched channels and bam 5zGhz, 80Mhz and 867Mbit/s now. Link speed in Network Utility now says 1Gbit now so that leaves me to believe it gives you actual network lan speeds. :)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-06-20 at 3.58.07 PM.png

I have restarted 4-5 times and it always starts full speed now. Maybe something is wrong with your settings if no problems arise in other OS?

No worries!

My kexts+patches aren't the problem (believe me I've checked)

It always connects at full speeds (the network stats say 865mbps etc.) , but if I start a network transfer or speedtest, it'll never reach full speeds (again only noticeable because I have a 200meg internet connection and 1gbit NAS on my network.) A simple script (simply toggles airport card twice on login) as as a workaround has sorted it, so I'm not too fussed to explore further. (I actually needed a similar script on my actual rMBP anyway, but that was for slightly different reasons)

Hello

That's the DW1560 Broadcoam from dell xps 15 2016

Had to hunt for it, but I've checked my Magic Mouse and it works perfectly fine with my DW1560.

Same goes for bluetooth audio.

Have you seated the antennae connections to your card properly? Do you experience this in any other OS (if you have any installed)

I've encountered a small issue.

I don't know if I solved it the right way or not.

So I managed to triple boot MacOS Sierra/Windows10/Linux-Elementary OS.

I first installed MacOS, then Windows and as last Linux.

The laptop wouldn't boot with Clover anymore, so I used the MacOS USB flash drive to boot and then installed Clover again on the MacOS partition.

I rebooted and the laptop still wouldn't go to Clover. When entering Bios, there wasn't any boot option for clover available (only Windows and Linux)

I then added a new boot record manually in Bios (path: /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi)

Now my laptop boots in Clover.

But is this the right way to do it? Or dit I do something wrong during de Clover installation?

e0B8QHm.jpg?1

hAUlV7w.jpg?1

Yes, that's the right way to do it. I've found the BIOS gets a little confused sometimes when you have a USB flashdrive plugged in that has an EFI partition (the "browse" button will read from the USB drive first for me), but in general that is all there is to it. No more mucking about with nasty MBR partition nonsense. :D

The issue you ran into is that OS installers don't really respect existing boot entries and whenever you install a new OS it tries to set itself as default.

Although, for future reference you don't need to totally reinstall Clover, you just need to manually add the boot entry.

Yes, that's the right way to do it. I've found the BIOS gets a little confused sometimes when you have a USB flashdrive plugged in that has an EFI partition, but in general that is all there is to it. No more mucking about with nasty MBR partition nonsense. :D

Thanks!

Idd, none of my USB drives that are only UEFI are recognised, so I figured out that I needed to add them manually.

I'm smarter than I thought! :D

Hi, I heard that the new version of OS X will have native support for 7th generation CPU. Should I wait for it? Will it work better then this present one?

Will it work better? Probably.

Will it be a huge difference? Doubt it.

It'll be a leaner set up, that I know already (definitely will need fewer kexts, Clover config will get slimmed a bit, and maybe fewer SSDTs?).

Just waiting on 10.12.6 now.

It'll be a leaner set up, that I know already (definitely will need fewer kexts, Clover config will get slimmed a bit, and maybe fewer SSDTs?).

Will be interesting to see if 10.12.6 adds native support for NVMe disks with 512 byte sectors like HS does.

Yes I guess I will just wait for it for now. Hopefully 10.12.6 will come out soon.

I've encountered a new problem...

Closing the lid will not make my laptop sleep.

Is there any way to fix this?

what do you get from:

log show --last "6h" --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

change "6h" to a reasonable time that would contain the issue (like if it happened 20 minutes ago, use "20m")

what do you get from:

log show --last "6h" --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

change "6h" to a reasonable time that would contain the issue (like if it happened 20 minutes ago, use "20m")

Strange, tested it again, and now it works, but bluetooth is not available anymore...

VIeZlQN.png?1

It sometime also happens with Wifi...

Output:

2017-06-28 22:13:14.312964+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) Wake reason: LID0
2017-06-28 22:13:14.312965+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) Wake reason: LID0

Sleep on lid close takes sometimes up to 30 seconds to fully go into sleep mode. It's like that on real Macs, too.

That bluetooth thing still happens? Darn. I thought using BrcmFirmwareData.kext in Clover/kexts/other fixed that (though I'm using DW1830). If you haven't restarted yet, does the camera show up in photo booth?

Sleep on lid close takes sometimes up to 30 seconds to fully go into sleep mode. It's like that on real Macs, too.

That bluetooth thing still happens? Darn. I thought using BrcmFirmwareData.kext in Clover/kexts/other fixed that (though I'm using DW1830). Does the camera show up in photo booth?

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Yesterday it didn't go to sleep. When I woke up this morning, laptop was still on with the lid closed and was overheating (lying on the sofa).

For Wifi/Bluetooth I'm using DW1560

Just checked photo boot and camera shows up.

Sounds like it might have woken up due to Power Nap or maintenance tasks and then couldn't go back to sleep. Make sure you didn't remove any SSDTs I've included, that all SSDTs are in SortedOrder in config.plist, and that you're on BIOS 1.3.3. I haven't had that happen to me in a long time (I have had a real Mac do it to me, though!). Double check your settings in Energy Preferences, like Wake for Network Access on AC power. Sometimes a rogue network event will trigger a wakeup if you don't know what's on your network, for example, though your problem also looks like the wifi card may not be 100% stable--which unfortunately isn't something I can do anything about if true.

Sounds like it might have woken up due to Power Nap or maintenance tasks and then couldn't go back to sleep. Make sure you didn't remove any SSDTs I've included, that all SSDTs are in SortedOrder in config.plist, and that you're on BIOS 1.3.3.

I'm in BIOS 1.3.3. That was the first thing I did when I received the laptop.

Going to verify SSDTs tonight when I'm home.

I haven't had that happen to me in a long time (I have had a real Mac do it to me, though!). Double check your settings in Energy Preferences, like Wake for Network Access on AC power. Sometimes a rogue network event will trigger a wakeup if you don't know what's on your network, for example, though your problem also looks like the wifi card may not be 100% stable--which unfortunately isn't something I can do anything about if true.

I already found my NIC unstable. I also damaged the antennas by installing the DW1560. The connectors on the NIC didn't seem completely round and I forced the antennas on it. :s Luckily I got to manage a free replacement from Dell.

Already contacted the seller from the DW1560 and I'll be getting a replacement.

Strange, tested it again, and now it works, but bluetooth is not available anymore...

VIeZlQN.png?1

I've had this issue with Bluetooth once too. (Although I rarely use sleep so if it's related to that, I won't really notice) WiFi seems fine to me.

Did a test on battery drain while laptop is asleep via closing the lid.

1080p model, I don't have the 4K screen but I thought this would be relevant as I also have a 97wHr battery and since it's asleep I don't think that really matters for this test.

Put my laptop to sleep for 24 hours. Fully charged, 100% down to 97% battery. Opened the lid and login screen came up right away and even had some notifications which I'm curious how or it just got them that fast. I have to say that's pretty good although I was hoping for 1-2% :rolleyes: . I haven't done this test in Windows so I'm not sure but that seems right.

I do not have powernap enabled while on battery. WiFi, Bluetooth both enabled. I charged it up to 100%, still plugged in booted up, logged in and then gave it a few minutes for everything to load and settle. I then closed the lid. That was my "scientific" testing method :lol:.

I've noticed that even with PowerNap disabled it'll still do some maintenance tasks (and that seems to involve connecting to the Internet, which downloads messages and things). I'm pretty sure real Macs do this, but since Apple removed all indicator lights from its laptops, it's hard to tell. I think PowerNap just makes it occur a lot more frequently (once an hour or so?).

I'm in BIOS 1.3.3. That was the first thing I did when I received the laptop.

Going to verify SSDTs tonight when I'm home.

I already found my NIC unstable. I also damaged the antennas by installing the DW1560. The connectors on the NIC didn't seem completely round and I forced the antennas on it. :s Luckily I got to manage a free replacement from Dell.

Already contacted the seller from the DW1560 and I'll be getting a replacement.

I finally found some time to have a look at my problem.

I download the clover folder again from the 1st post and copied it to my EFI folder. Just kept my own config.plist and added the kext for the DW1560 and know I don't loose the bluetooth connection anymore after sleep.

I think I may have merged the clover folders instead of overwriting them during the installation.

Still didn't send the NIC back, so gonna test if laptops goes back to sleep after waking up by itself while in sleep mode.

Unfortunately I ran into a new issue.

When I want to boot to MacOS (automatically after 5sec in clover), I get this annoying stop sign!

When rebooting in verbose mode, I get these messages:

4YLvgro.jpg?2

After 2-3 reboots in verbose mode it finally starts up. Very annoying...

Any solution for that?

Thanks!