KNNSpeed

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

354 posts in this topic

Sooner than expected, I received my Dell XPS 15 today.  :D

Luckily it came with the Toshiba 512GB NVME SSD.

I adapted all the BIOS settings, and now want to apple wmchris' 4K patch.

Unfortunately it doesn't work.

At the command sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0, I'm getting the error: "Unable to detect device type. Please specify device type with the -d option".

When I check my drives in terminal, I get following output:

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 477 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 5AE160B4-72C3-4579-8628-0DEE1E81AB66

Device           Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1    2048     923647    921600   450M Windows recovery environment
/dev/nvme0n1p2  923648    1128447    204800   100M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p3 1128448    1161215     32768    16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/nvme0n1p4 1161216 1000214527 999053312 476.4G Microsoft basic data

Disk /dev/sda: 7.5 GiB, 8053063680 bytes, 15728640 sectors
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x20ac7dda

Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1       3224498923 3657370039  432871117 206.4G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2       3272020941 5225480974 1953460034 931.5G 16 Hidden FAT16
/dev/sda3                0          0          0     0B 6f unknown
/dev/sda4         50200576  974536369  924335794 440.8G  0 Empty

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

Firmware of the drive was updated (got message it was already on latest firmware)

Anyone knows a solution?

J-J

Advertisement

Sooner than expected, I received my Dell XPS 15 today.  :D

Luckily it came with the Toshiba 512GB NVME SSD.

I adapted all the BIOS settings, and now want to apple wmchris' 4K patch.

Unfortunately it doesn't work.

At the command sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0, I'm getting the error: "Unable to detect device type. Please specify device type with the -d option".

When I check my drives in terminal, I get following output:

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 477 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 5AE160B4-72C3-4579-8628-0DEE1E81AB66

Device           Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1    2048     923647    921600   450M Windows recovery environment
/dev/nvme0n1p2  923648    1128447    204800   100M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p3 1128448    1161215     32768    16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/nvme0n1p4 1161216 1000214527 999053312 476.4G Microsoft basic data

Disk /dev/sda: 7.5 GiB, 8053063680 bytes, 15728640 sectors
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x20ac7dda

Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1       3224498923 3657370039  432871117 206.4G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2       3272020941 5225480974 1953460034 931.5G 16 Hidden FAT16
/dev/sda3                0          0          0     0B 6f unknown
/dev/sda4         50200576  974536369  924335794 440.8G  0 Empty

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

Firmware of the drive was updated (got message it was already on latest firmware)

Anyone knows a solution?

J-J

you used the wrong identifier. It's not nvme0 on your system, its obviously nvme0n1 (nvme controller 0, namespace 1)

you used the wrong identifier. It's not nvme0 on your system, its obviously nvme0n1 (nvme controller 0, namespace 1)

:drool: Stupid me! I'll try that :w00t:  

EDIT:

That also doesn't work...

mint@mint ~ $ sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1
smartctl 6.5 2016-01-24 r4214 [x86_64-linux-4.4.0-53-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/nvme0n1: Unable to detect device type
Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Oh, I ran into this issue. The version of smartmontools you're using is too old. I had to download and compile from source.

You could try "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt install smartmontools" and see if it updates it. The important thing is that you see the listing that states whether or not your drive supports 4k. If you can't get that far, stop (that's why I put a warning on the first page).

Oh, I ran into this issue. The version of smartmontools you're using is too old. I had to download and compile from source.

Sorry, but how do I do that?

I found this site: http://www.panticz.de/compile-smartmontools

Compile smartmontools

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/panticz/scripts/master/compile.smartmontools.sh -O - | bash -

#!/bin/bash

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential

# download

wget http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/smartmontools/smartmontools/6.2/smartmontools-6.2.tar.gz -P /tmp/

# extract

tar xzf /tmp/smartmontools-*.tar.gz -C /tmp/

cd /tmp/smartmontools-*

# compile

./configure

make

# install

sudo make install

check smartctl version

smartctl -V

Links

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/files/smartmontools/ - sorce code download

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#Installprecompiledpackage

Is that the way to do it?

You could try "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt install smartmontools" and see if it updates it. The important thing is that you see the listing that states whether or not your drive supports 4k. If you can't get that far, stop (that's why I put a warning on the first page).

Getting this output, so I can't update this way.

mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt install smartmontools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
smartmontools is already the newest version (6.4+svn4214-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 352 not upgraded.

I've  got the Toshiba XG4 512GB, so it's the same model as you have (but smaller size)

See my edit to the previous post.

https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download

I suppose you mean this part: "Install latest unreleased code from SVN repository"

I'm getting stuk at:

mint@mint ~/smartmontools $ ./configure

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p

checking for gawk... gawk

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking whether make supports nested variables... yes

checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no

checking for g++... no

checking for c++... no

checking for gpp... no

checking for aCC... no

checking for CC... no

checking for cxx... no

checking for cc++... no

checking for cl.exe... no

checking for FCC... no

checking for KCC... no

checking for RCC... no

checking for xlC_r... no

checking for xlC... no

checking whether the C++ compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/home/mint/smartmontools':

configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details

--> log-file attached

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not so experienced with all those command.

config.log.zip

You don't have a C++ compiler. You need to install g++.

Idd :) I just found it out.

Google is your friend :D

1st boot and I got in MacOS!

Problem now is I can't install clover to my SSD.

Getting these errors:

sUP8Mlz.png?1

ddf1hFQ.png?1

In this post I found it was related to SIP or the EFI partition that's not partitioned correctly.

I first tried to disabled SIP on boot: bootflags rootless=0 and kext-dev-mode=1 (from this post) also checked no_sip in clover at boot.

This didn't work.

Does this mean I have to format my drive again and reinstall MacOS? I followed all previous steps very precisely.

No, that's not how you disable SIP anymore.

in config.plist, set booterconfig to 0x28 and CSRactiveconfig to 0x67 (and undo the stuff you added to the plist)

These are the values that change SIP (and some other things that can be seen in one of my posts on the first page) now.

Good job so far, btw.

That did it!

I'm up and running now.

Got a small issue regarding appstore/icloud/imessage/facetime login. I think it's related to SerialNumber/BoardSerialNumber/smUUID.

I'm getting this error in the App Store:

q7VHZiJ.png?1

I tried these steps again = step 6 (source)

1. Open Clover Configurator and mount your EFI partition.
  2. Import your config.plist
  3. Navigate to the SMBIOS settings. Click on the magical wand.
  4. Choosing a mac to fake can be tricky, but commonly used desktop builds are: MacPro3,1 and iMac15,1. Shake the Week of manufacture and unit number.
  5. Copy the serial number that you just created and go to https://checkcoverage.apple.com Enter serial number and enter the code. If the checker comes back with “We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again.” or something similiar, you are golden! However, if it comes up with purchase date and coverage, you need to shake the two variables in step 4.
  6. Assuming you have an invalid SN, copy that and paste it into “Board Serial Number” Now, while still in the same text box (with caps locks on) type 5 random letters and numbers.
  7. Open terminal and paste “uuidgen" (Without quotation marks), then hit enter.
  8. Copy the results of the terminal command you ran and paste it in the "SmUUID" field in the SMBIOS settings.
  9. Save/export your config.plist
  10. Open terminal once again and run the following list of commands on at a time:
    • cd ~/Library/Caches/
    • rm -R com.apple.Messages*
    • rm -R com.apple.imfoundation*
    • cd ~/Library/Preferences/
    • rm com.apple.iChat*
    • rm com.apple.imagent*
    • rm com.apple.imessage*
    • rm com.apple.imservice*
    • rm -R ~/Library/Messages/
  11. Optional: Open up Disk Utility, select your OSX partition, and rebuild the permissions. Reboot when this is completed. (Sometimes this is needed and others it is not.)
  12. Open iMessage and sign in! Bingo, you are now a step ahead of most other hackintoshers.
  13. If this does not work a simple mistake is having your primary network setup wrong. You can check this by opening up System Profiler, clicking on either Ethernet or Wifi and making sure that your internet network is listed as en0. If it is not, reset your network preferences by going to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and deleting "NetworkInterfaces.plist" and "preferences.plist".

This doesn't solve the issue... I also can't access appleid.apple.com neither to create app specific passwords. (blank page)

Is this related to my wifi connection? The DW1560 didn't arrive yet, so I using an USB Wifi dongle that I had lying around (used it on an older laptop)

That did it!

I'm up and running now.

Got a small issue regarding appstore/icloud/imessage/facetime login. I think it's related to SerialNumber/BoardSerialNumber/smUUID.

I'm getting this error in the App Store:

q7VHZiJ.png?1

I tried these steps again = step 6 (source)

This doesn't solve the issue... I also can't access appleid.apple.com neither to create app specific passwords. (blank page)

Is this related to my wifi connection? The DW1560 didn't arrive yet, so I using an USB Wifi dongle that I had lying around (used it on an older laptop)

There has to be a network interface named en0, if you do not have a pluggable  ethernet then use the nullethernet kext to create a virtual  ethernet port.

There has to be a network interface named en0, if you do not have a pluggable  ethernet then use the nullethernet kext to create a virtual  ethernet port.

Idd, also found that was the issue.

Thing is I can't get it to work.

I took these step:

1. Downloaded NullEthernet.kext from rehabman. (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-null-ethernet/downloads/RehabMan-NullEthernet-2016-1220.zip)
  2. Installed it with Kext Wizard (to /System/Library/Extensions)
  3. Copied ssdt-rmne.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and renamed to ssdt-1.aml
  4. Rebooted
  5. Deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration
  6. Rebooted

Doesn't change anything...

If I were you I'd just wait for the wi-fi card, install it, delete everything out of Network Preferences, hit apply, and reboot. Then your wi-fi card will be en0 like on a real MBP (you can check with ifconfig when you're done). Don't bother with NullEthernet.

If you choose to go down the null ethernet route, you also need to remember to add SSDT-RMNE to config.plist (there's a sortedorder section that only loads the listed SSDTs, which in my release folder is all the ones I included) or else it won't load.

I will, I'm expecting the card on Friday or Monday.

I've now managed to install Windows 10 on a second partition. (need it for Visual Studio)

I can load both, MacOS and Windows from Clover.

The only thing I can't get to manage is to let Clover remember the last booted OS?

What do I need to change?

<dict>
	<key>Arguments</key>
	<string>dart=0 darkwake=1</string>
	<key>Debug</key>
	<false/>
	<key>DefaultVolume</key>
	<string>LastBootedVolume</string>
	<key>Legacy</key>
	<string>LegacyBiosDefault</string>
	<key>NeverHibernate</key>
	<true/>
	<key>Secure</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<integer>5</integer>
	<key>XMPDetection</key>
	<false/>
</dict>

That I'm not sure. I'd have expected "DefaultVolume" -> 'LastBootedVolume" to do it, but maybe Clover has since deprecated (or broken) that?

That I'm not sure. I'd have expected "DefaultVolume" -> 'LastBootedVolume" to do it, but maybe Clover has since deprecated (or broken) that?

Updating the BIOS to 1.3.3 stopped LastBootedVolume working on Clover for me.  :(

Even before that, it was a little sketchy as to when it would update the last booted volume. (But at least it remembered one.)

Just want to chime in here saying everything is working using your guide :) Aside from using the iGPU due to nvidia optimus this is a great Mac Backup to my 2016 15" Touchbar MacBook Pro.

I also got it to dual boot Windows 10 / OSX Flawlessly.

I would say the only odd issue is the wifi. I got the Dell 1850 card and transfers are sometimes super slow but it shows connected. I'm guessing this is for not installing the 3rd antenna array?

Glad to hear it!

Yeah, the card expects to have 3-antennas to switch/multiplex/maintain signal, so only using 2 is very likely to result in stability and transfer issues. One such thing that happens, for example, is the card tries to query the 3rd antenna, but can't get a lock on the signal that it can read with the other two, so you get a situation where cycles are wasted trying to establish a signal with the 3rd antenna that it won't be able to connect with (=performace hit). Another thing that happens is that the card might be able to pick up a weak signal with the 3rd antenna, but compared to the other two stronger signals it's pretty noisy and data that goes to that antenna gets lost (=stability/reliability issues). There are more things that occur, but without getting too technical those are two big ones.

If you only plan on using the two antennas, you should probably get a DW1560. But if you want 1.3Gbps AC Wi-Fi and more reliable performance even in poorer conditions adding a 3rd antenna is hugely recommended. It's been pretty darn solid for me.

Glad to hear it!

Yeah, the card expects to have 3-antennas to switch/multiplex/maintain signal, so only using 2 is very likely to result in stability and transfer issues. One such thing that happens, for example, is the card tries to query the 3rd antenna, but can't get a lock on the signal that it can read with the other two, so you get a situation where cycles are wasted trying to establish a signal with the 3rd antenna that it won't be able to connect with (=performace hit). Another thing that happens is that the card might be able to pick up a weak signal with the 3rd antenna, but compared to the other two stronger signals it's pretty noisy and data that goes to that antenna gets lost (=stability/reliability issues). There are more things that occur, but without getting too technical those are two big ones.

If you only plan on using the two antennas, you should probably get a DW1560. But if you want 1.3Gbps AC Wi-Fi and more reliable performance even in poorer conditions adding a 3rd antenna is hugely recommended. It's been pretty darn solid for me.

I just bought a DW1560 on eBay. I don't feel too entirely comfortable disassembling the display to install the third antenna. Hopfully that'll fix the spotty wifi issue.

I just bought a DW1560 on eBay. I don't feel too entirely comfortable disassembling the display to install the third antenna. Hopfully that'll fix the spotty wifi issue.

No need to install a 3:rd antenna since the DW1560 only uses 2 antennas, same as the killernic card!

It's a direct swap.

Something to note, with my DW1560 on Mac I have to disable/enable WiFi if I reboot to get full speeds. Although depending on your internet connection speed you might not notice, I have 200meg, something under 50 probably won't notice. (Don't have to do this on Ubuntu or Windows)

I've just setup a script that does it for me at login.

Something to note, with my DW1560 on Mac I have to disable/enable WiFi if I reboot to get full speeds. Although depending on your internet connection speed you might not notice, I have 200meg, something under 50 probably won't notice. (Don't have to do this on Ubuntu or Windows)

I've just setup a script that does it for me at login.

I have a DW1560 as well but can't really test "full speed" but when I open Network Utility > Info it says Link Speed 289Mbit/s. Curious as what yours says.