KNNSpeed

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

348 posts in this topic

Advertisement

can anyone boot into 10.13.4 beta with dell xps 9560?

I made the update till the 10.13.3 it boot but brightness key are broken and HDMI plugin cause reboot.. We have to wait for kext update for the 10.13.4 I think..

Looking for a better touchpad driver I came across this cypress one:

https://github.com/ulysse31/voodoops2controllercypress

It looks interesting as there is a Preferences Pane component for configuration.  Has anyone tried it for the 9560?  I did try to install it and remove any conflicting kexts but it causes crashes on boot for me.

It would be nice to find a smoother scrolling touchpad, or one that does pinch-to-zoom.

The issue as I understand it -- with the subpar touchpad/touchscreen performance -- isn't due to which PS2 driver is used, but due to the fact that PS2 has much less bandwidth available than I2C. The keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen all support I2C. The "correct" fix is adding a DSDT patch for the I2C pinning for the 9560. I tried to do this, but was only able to get the touchscreen working.

Would be super awesome is if someone could figure out the correct pinning for the touchpad/touchscreen...then this would be a non-issue and we wouldn't be fighting the bandwidth limitations of PS2.

Pinning for functional I2C touchscreen below:

DefinitionBlock("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "ITOC", 0x00000000)
{
    External(_SB.PCI0, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Device (GPI0)
        {
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
            {
                Return (0x0F)
            }
        }
    }
}

//EOF

Well, it's not just a bandwidth issue - neither VoodooPS2 nor VoodooI2C (currently) use the native multitouch engine. The 9560 does not have a I2C touchscreen (it is USB), so no pinning is needed. IIRC you only need a Windows patch (which you should already have) and the controller patch (no need for GPIO pinning).

Hey guys,

If anyone is looking for a docking solution, I bought the Dell WD15 and it works well with MacOS 12.6.  Single cable charging and data is a dream come true.  MacOS sees all the devices on the dock (including audio) and everything works.  The only issue is with the ethernet port.  For some reason MacOS will only grab a self-assigned IP although the device shows up fine.  I'm going to try to delete all the network plists and see if it comes alive.  It's not a big deal if I can't get it to work as the wifi works fine.

I also bought the Dell U3415 monitor which includes KVM switching.  The WD15 outputs HDMI and USB to the monitor and is met with similar ports from my gaming PC (which is also a hackintosh).   With the KVM switching you can have a single keyboard, mouse and other USB peripherals (I have an audio interface) shared between both computers and switch back and forth via the monitor.  It also supports different types of picture in picture and you can view the output of both computers at the same time.

On 2018/1/25 at 7:52 AM, Jonny4911 said:

Hmm, my HDMI port no longer seems to work now...

Scratch that, updated all the FakePCIID kexts and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext too

Thank you pal!:thumbsup_anim:

My bios version is 1.8.1  but when I go to disk ulitity ,in there doesn’t show the hard drive ……?? What would I do

y hard drive name is PC300 NVMe SK Hynix 1tb 

so pls help

10.13.4 update went smooth as usual.

Latest Clover, updated lilu including plugin kexts, FakePCIID_x kexts as well, not sure which were new or not.

I removed NvidiaGraphicsFixup and patched to stop AGDP from loading through Clover config as RacerMaster suggested to someone before, been meaning to do that.

Repaired permissions and rebuilt kext cache to fix brightness keys.

Headphone jack still worked fine (didn't have to reinstall any thing).

HDMI out including audio worked.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried thunderbolt with this build?  I've been using a WD15 dock fine via the USBC port although the WD15 is USB.   I'm on OSX 12.6.4.

Today I tried a couple thunderbolt audio interfaces (Focusrite Clarett, Universal Audio Apollo - both TB1 I believe) and they can't be seen by MacOS (either by the installed driver, or system info).  Of course, booting into Windows everything works fine.

The evidence leads me to believe that there's a kext I need, or something I need to patch in order to enable TB over MacOS.

Edited by Gorelander

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Gorelander said:

Has anyone tried thunderbolt with this build?  I've been using a WD15 dock fine via the USBC port although the WD15 is USB.   I'm on OSX 12.6.4.

Today I tried a couple thunderbolt audio interfaces (Focusrite Clarett, Universal Audio Apollo - both TB1 I believe) and they can't be seen by MacOS (either by the installed driver, or system info).  Of course, booting into Windows everything works fine.

The evidence leads me to believe that there's a kext I need, or something I need to patch in order to enable TB over MacOS.

Are you using Clover? This may seem silly, but are you hotplugging because you can't hotplug TB3. You must connect TB3 first, then boot computer.  Lastly, some users such as myself need to plugin TB3 at the Clover screen, not before or after.  Good luck!

Edited by djhuggy412

On 4/7/2018 at 9:12 AM, djhuggy412 said:

Are you using Clover? This may seem silly, but are you hotplugging because you can't hotplug TB3. You must connect TB3 first, then boot computer.  Lastly, some users such as myself need to plugin TB3 at the Clover screen, not before or after.  Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.  I am using clover, and not hot-plugging TB3.  As many have said you need to have it plugged in before you boot which I have tried, and I have also booted into Windows first to wake it up then boot into MacOS.   I haven't tried plugging in at the clover screen yet - will try next chance I get.

I have a feeling that I'm missing some sort of TB3 kext.  Does anyone know what I should have for kexts to enable TB3?

On 4/9/2018 at 1:12 PM, Gorelander said:

Thanks for your reply.  I am using clover, and not hot-plugging TB3.  As many have said you need to have it plugged in before you boot which I have tried, and I have also booted into Windows first to wake it up then boot into MacOS.   I haven't tried plugging in at the clover screen yet - will try next chance I get.

I have a feeling that I'm missing some sort of TB3 kext.  Does anyone know what I should have for kexts to enable TB3?

talk to @maleorderbride

Hey guys, I have a Toshiba 512GB SSD THNSN5512GPUK. Its already running the latest firmware but isn't getting picked up in Ubuntu. Has anyone had this problem before? BIOS settings are the original ones shipped with the 9560.

On 4/3/2018 at 2:10 AM, snttsntt said:

Is it possible to have an updated sourcecode of Combo Jack? Thanks in advance. 

There is no newer version than whatever I uploaded some pages back.

Hello guys !

I actually try to install mac os on my DELL XPS 15 9560, full HD.
(BIOS updated to 1.9.4, Full HD screen, 512Go integrated Toshiba full SSD and the basic Killer wifi card)

I followed some guide like this :

And I tryed to do some custom install by my self to boot up to installation.But Nothing is working…

I've configure the bios correctly and it boot up on clover. But clover didn't show me the usb key to boot up on installation…

I want to try your guide but i'm pretty scared to activate Intel SpeedShift… I've bought my PC just 6 mounth earlier and I've taken the extension waranty up to 2022.... I Don't want to brick my PC… it's very important to activate it ?

And if someone can help me to run the installer, it will very cool I've wrote a comment to explain my pb with a photo : 

@KNNSpeed  how much energy impact (in the energy tab from activity monitor) you get from watching a youtube video in safari ? today I had a real macbook pro 15 with kabylake cpu and max energy impact it got was 9% from the youtube process, while my xps 9560 4k is getting something like 40-50% energy impact while watching the same youtube video.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, abn6x said:

@KNNSpeed  how much energy impact (in the energy tab from activity monitor) you get from watching a youtube video in safari ? today I had a real macbook pro 15 with kabylake cpu and max energy impact it got was 9% from the youtube process, while my xps 9560 4k is getting something like 40-50% energy impact while watching the same youtube video.

I don't have the 4K model but I just ran a youtube video 720p and it hovered around 17 in the energy tab, on 10.13.5. Specs of the video you are watching? Or link?

19 hours ago, blazinsmokey said:

I don't have the 4K model but I just ran a youtube video 720p and it hovered around 17 in the energy tab, on 10.13.5. Specs of the video you are watching? Or link?

also a 720p video from EverythingApplePro "iphone 3g 10 years today"(or something like that)

On 2/25/2018 at 5:18 PM, lebish said:

The issue as I understand it -- with the subpar touchpad/touchscreen performance -- isn't due to which PS2 driver is used, but due to the fact that PS2 has much less bandwidth available than I2C. The keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen all support I2C. The "correct" fix is adding a DSDT patch for the I2C pinning for the 9560. I tried to do this, but was only able to get the touchscreen working.

Would be super awesome is if someone could figure out the correct pinning for the touchpad/touchscreen...then this would be a non-issue and we wouldn't be fighting the bandwidth limitations of PS2.

Pinning for functional I2C touchscreen below:

DefinitionBlock("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "ITOC", 0x00000000)
{
    External(_SB.PCI0, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Device (GPI0)
        {
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
            {
                Return (0x0F)
            }
        }
    }
}

//EOF

lebish, could you talk a bit further about this? Specifically, how exactly do we create the patch you mention, and what does it accomplish? Are you saying that we can have a fully functional touchscreen with gestures just like in Windows? 

So does this mean we can have VoodooPS2 (or KNNSpeed's kext) for the touchpad while simultaneously loading this patch for the touchscreen? Thanks for explaining!

Posted (edited)
On 9/20/2017 at 7:46 PM, KNNSpeed said:

Significantly improved the touchpad experience. It's very similar to the Apple Wireless Trackpad (v1) with this kext (I tweaked it as best I could), which in turn is pretty similar to the MBP's built-in trackpad.

Remove VoodooPS2Controller to use it (also remove the two voodoops2 scripts that had to be installed if using RehabMan's fork instead of the version in post #1). Also need to "unflip" Command and Alt if they were flipped, and restore all keyboard shortcuts to defaults. With this kext, only 3-finger swipe down, 4-finger swipe down, and "show notification center" via two-finger edge swipe (both from the right and left work) need to be configured as keyboard shortcuts, otherwise everything else works just like a real trackpad with the default shortcuts. I even got the dictionary feature to work with 3-finger click. No tapping is enabled at all, just FYI, since tapping was behaving rather weirdly.

Supposedly 4-finger and 5-finger pinch work, too, but I have them set to copy whatever 4-finger swipe down does (I'm using that for launchpad).

Tracking speed is changed by the Trackpad prefpane setting, not the mouse prefpane settings. Most of the trackpad settings don't work, or don't do what you'd think they would--just about all of the touchpad configuration is done in the kext's main info.plist (keyboard config is in the keyboard kext's info.plist in the plugin folder).

Credit EMlyDinEsH, especially for the awesome documentation of about 95% of the options. Highly recommend checking out the documentation at that link, e.g. to learn about the custom F13-F24 mapping.

EDIT: Some more differences: PrtScr is a shortcut for CMD+Shift+4 (screenshot), and no longer disables the touchpad. The search on F9 seems to be a second mute button for some reason, and I'm not totally sure what F7's and F8's special keys do, if anything.

ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext.zip

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but for some reason the PlayPause function requires me to hold Fn while pressing F5. None of the other media keys or special functions behave this way. I've tried remapping this in Karabiner but to no effect. To the best of my ability, I've tried following the documentation link you provided but I'm still unclear how to customize the keys based on the Dell layout. I'm attaching my Info.plist if anyone knows how to fix this.

EDIT: Never mind, I've fixed the F5 button. Apparently Fn Lock was reset in my BIOS (which, for some reason seems to be the one BIOS setting that doesn't seem to permanently stick...) However, the problem below still applies.

Also, a four finger swipe up arbitrarily seems to function as a Brightness Decrement. I also have tried remapping this in Keyboard Shortcuts but can't change this gesture to a different functionality. Additionally, there is odd behavior like "" marks appearing in text when I lightly swipe up with three fingers and other things like that. I don't see how to change this... Any ideas?  

Info.plist

Edited by TheBeev

Heads up if you guys are updating Lilu and AppleALC, AppleALC 1.3.0 doesn't seem to work for us right now, 1.2.8 however does and still works with Lilu 1.2.5. The other latest lilu plugins as of today seemed to work fine.