KNNSpeed

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

353 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Hey guys, almost done my 9560 but having issues getting the DW1560 to work.  Without it, I can't download my apps, use iMessage etc.  I've been at this a few days now and have reached an impasse.  

So the 1560 shows up and works fine under Windows 10.  Under MacOS 10.12.6 it doesn't see the WiFi, but bluetooth works fine.

I've downloaded what seems to be the latest FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext.   I used kext utility to install them to S/L/E (also tried CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER).  I've also added the entry into info.plist under kextstopatch:

</array>
<key>KernelXCPM</key>
<false/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>AirPortBrcm4360 - fcvo</string>
    <key>Disabled</key>
    <false/>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>gflSqgAAdSk=</data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>gflSqgAAZpA=</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Boot graphics glitch, 10.12.dp1 (credit denskop, RehabMan)</string>

I've rebuilt the cache and all that fun stuff, but still MacOS doesn't see the WiFi.  For now I have to use an external USB WiFi.  Does anyone have this DW1560 working under 10.12.6?  I'm stumped.  Maybe I've missed a step specific to my exact configuration or something..

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, almost done my 9560 but having issues getting the DW1560 to work.  Without it, I can't download my apps, use iMessage etc.  I've been at this a few days now and have reached an impasse.........  

Check my efi in post here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324366-dell-xps-15-9560-4k-touch-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-100-adobergb%E2%80%8B/page-13?do=findComment&comment=2518412

I'm using DW1560 just fine, make sure you have same kext and proper edits to your config. I noticed I don't have that kext firmware repo kext you have but instead have the firmware data one instead.

Thanks for your reply blazingsmokey. You seem to have all the four files listed in my previous post including "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext" (which I'm assuming is the one you said you don't have, but you do).  I did notice that you had AirportBrcmFixup.kext which I did not have.  Are you installing these files to CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER?  Regardless I tried that location and S/L/E with no luck (most cases I've seen people install to S/L/E).

Doing a web searches I have found common solutions to wifi not showing up are:

a) they forgot to add the kexttopatch entry to config.plist

B) they haven't rebuilt cache

I've done both. On (a) I'm assuming the entry goes below the array tag (see paste in my previous post above).

While trying to add the AirportBrcmFixup.kext that you had and rebuilding kext cache I got the error message:

"AirportBrcmFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found."

Researching this kext it says it's responsible for "An open source kernel extension providing a set of patches required for non-native Airport Broadcom Wi-Fi cards."

So maybe this is the cause?  I just have to figure out how to get the dependency issue solved.

Check my efi in post here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324366-dell-xps-15-9560-4k-touch-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-100-adobergb%E2%80%8B/page-13?do=findComment&comment=2518412

I'm using DW1560 just fine, make sure you have same kext and proper edits to your config. I noticed I don't have that kext firmware repo kext you have but instead have the firmware data one instead.

DW1830 doesn't use any kexts, as it is natively supported.

There are several posts early in this thread regarding the DW1560. Perhaps they may be of use.

As KNNSpeed said... Did you edit config.plist as described in the OP?

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

Alternatively, the DW1560 is a 2-antenna card like the Killer (max 5GHz wireless-AC speed is 867Mbps). It will need an extra patch. I think you need FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext in Clover/Kexts/Other (from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID) and this patch in the Clover/config.plist "KextsToPatch" section:
<dict>    <key>Comment</key>    <string>AirPortBrcm4360 - fcvo</string>    <key>Disabled</key>    <false/>    <key>Find</key>    <data>gflSqgAAdSk=</data>    <key>Name</key>    <string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>    <key>Replace</key>    <data>gflSqgAAZpA=</data></dict>
(Credit to feartech in the thread "[solved] BCM94352Z card help" at tonymacx86.com for spelling it out.)

So I managed to get it to work, thanks to all who tried to help.

Somehow I was missing lilu.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext which was necessary for MacOS to see the DW1560.

Comparing with Blazinsmokey's kexts (thanks brother) I noticed I was missing AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  While rebuilding the kextcache, terminal reported: "AirportBrcmFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found".  Researching further, it seemed like Lilu would be needed so I found it online and used kext wizard to install.  Rebuilding kextcache, the dependency error was gone which was a good sign.  Upon reboot, everything worked!  

Unfortunately my audio somehow got knocked out.  So close!

DW1830 doesn't use any kexts, as it is natively supported.

There are several posts early in this thread regarding the DW1560. Perhaps they may be of use.

It seems that throwing the new Lilu.kext enabled AirportBrcmFixup.kext but broke AppleALC.kext (and the audio).  For interest's sake I installed the AppleALC.kext and Verbstub.kext into SLE with the lilu.kext and this is what it said:

AppleALC.kext - no compatible dependency found for as.vit9696.Lilu

So the lilu.kext that enables the wifi, won't work with the audio.  Strange.

So I managed to get it to work, thanks to all who tried to help.

Somehow I was missing lilu.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext which was necessary for MacOS to see the DW1560.

Comparing with Blazinsmokey's kexts (thanks brother) I noticed I was missing AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  While rebuilding the kextcache, terminal reported: "AirportBrcmFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found".  Researching further, it seemed like Lilu would be needed so I found it online and used kext wizard to install.  Rebuilding kextcache, the dependency error was gone which was a good sign.  Upon reboot, everything worked!  

Unfortunately my audio somehow got knocked out.  So close!

It's been almost 2 months since I tried that.

As I remember well I never managed it to work.

The day after, luckily, I received the DW1560. Now I put the DW1830 in my XPS.

Well I would like to thank KNNSpeed and RehabMan and you for all the help. Finally succeeded to make nullethernet work!

Hereby I would write down some possible reasons which might have caused its previous mal-functioning:

- I used a USB WiFi dongle with model RT2870, which needs extra drivers and might caused conflicts: I changed to a usb-RJ45 adapter and it worked.

- Remember to add the newly injected aml file to ACPI-sortedOrder list

- I changed the order of ssdt-RMNE to an upper position in the list(maybe it does not matter)

Hopefully we can upgrade to high sierra directly with mac app store. Still waiting for more successful cases and instructions... :blush:

Well I would like to thank KNNSpeed and RehabMan and you for all the help. Finally succeeded to make nullethernet work!

Hereby I would write down some possible reasons which might have caused its previous mal-functioning:

- I used a USB WiFi dongle with model RT2870, which needs extra drivers and might caused conflicts: I changed to a usb-RJ45 adapter and it worked.

- Remember to add the newly injected aml file to ACPI-sortedOrder list

- I changed the order of ssdt-RMNE to an upper position in the list(maybe it does not matter)

Hopefully we can upgrade to high sierra directly with mac app store. Still waiting for more successful cases and instructions... :blush:

Happy for you don't wait for this check my guide =) :

http://www.insanelym...h-sierra-10132/

That worked KNNSpeed, thanks for all your efforts.  Thanks also to Blazinsmokey who helped me discover I was missing BcrmFirmwareRepo.Kext.

From my experience, in order to get the DW1560 to work requires the following kexts: FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext.   However, lilu.kext (version 1.1.4) included in this guide was too old to work with BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext.   Updating lilu.kext (to version 1.2.0) breaks the audio (included in this guide) and requires AppleALC.kext to be updated from 1.1.2 to 1.2.2.  Throwing these kexts in S/L/E and rebuilding caches in terminal will show if there are any dependency issues: 

sudo kextcache -i /

I just thought I would document this in case anyone else was having issues.  

Update AppleALC. The latest Lilu tends to need the latest version of everyhing that uses it.

Well the latest security update 2018-001 caused all kinds of KP on boot, but updating Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext seems to have gotten everything back up and running.

Perhaps it's time to look into updating to High Sierra...  :rolleyes:

These are Intel bugs, so they have to get addressed on HS either way. Unfortunately in its monopoly it appears Intel has been rather shamefully sloppy in their architecture...

There’s also the part where I have zero time to look into HS. Not particularly looking forward to having to debug it, either...

Hmm, my HDMI port no longer seems to work now...

Scratch that, updated all the FakePCIID kexts and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext too

This afternoon I booted up my Mac and noticed weird graphic artifacts plus my wifi and audio stopped working.

Thinking MacOS updated on it's own, I reinstalled as Jonny4911 described: Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, and CoreDisplayFixup.kext.  After updating caches everything was fine again.

However surprisingly, when I checked the App store program, it didn't list any completed MacOS updates so I'm not sure what happened.

I think I figured it out.  I had re-enabled SIP which I'm assuming stops the loading of unsigned kexts (the kexts for the audio, videodisplayfix, and wifi).  This time around I changed the CSR-active-config to partially enabled (0x3).

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Well the latest security update 2018-001 caused all kinds of KP on boot, but updating Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext seems to have gotten everything back up and running.

Perhaps it's time to look into updating to High Sierra...  :rolleyes:

Applied the security update and updated Lilu, CoreDisplayFixup, and NvidiaGraphicsFixup. Everything is working fine except that the Thunderbolt to Displayport and HDMI ports are no longer being detected.

(also before I updated, I was still having the issue where I was locked at 30hZ when using my 4K external monitor)

Hey guys, is anyone else experiencing intermittent crashes on boot after the clover boot screen?  It doesn't happen very often, but upon booting the laptop, it gets to the clover login screen, then spits out a ton of text and reboots itself.  The next boot is always fine. 

I remember reading someone else with the same problem, but heck if I can find where I read it.  It reboots itself so quickly that I don't have time to read what it's complaining about.  I haven't been able to determine any pattern which causes it either.

Would the preboot.log offer any info on this crash?

I updated from 12.4 to 12.6 and thought everything was working well until I tried my HDMI again and it stopped working.  Sigh.

Researched on another thread that nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext was responsible for HDMI out and that it might also be lilu dependent.  Updated to latest version of nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and it's working again.  Happy day!

I updated from 12.4 to 12.6 and thought everything was working well until I tried my HDMI again and it stopped working.  Sigh.

Researched on another thread that nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext was responsible for HDMI out and that it might also be lilu dependent.  Updated to latest version of nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and it's working again.  Happy day!

Updating the nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext causes MacOS screen brightness controls to become non-existent. The keyboard shortcuts stopped working, and there is no slider in display preferences.  

So I rolled back to the original nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext included in this guide which fixes the display brightness controls, but again, the HDMI out port stopped functioning.

This implies that the nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext included in this guide doesn't work with the HDMI port, but I recall testing it beforehand.    Can someone test their HDMI out and see if it works with the kext included in this guide?

If this kext is working for everyone else, I can only guess that my lilu update to get the DW1560 working has somehow broken the functionality of nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext causing the HDMI port to stop working.

Any insight to which version of this kext I should be using would be greatly appreciated.   :)

You don't really need NvidiaGraphicsFixup - you just need to patch AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (which is one of the features of NvidiaGraphicsFixup). I just use vit9696's patch for that (which is included in NvidiaGraphicsFixup):

Comment: Prevent AGDP from loading (credit: vit9696)
Name:    com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find:    ba050000 00
Replace: ba000000 00

Thanks for you reply.  Do you think patching it would correct the issue described?

Thanks for the tip RM, I patched in Clover Configurator, removed  NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext,  and now both the brightness control and HDMI out works.

You don't really need NvidiaGraphicsFixup - you just need to patch AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (which is one of the features of NvidiaGraphicsFixup). I just use vit9696's patch for that (which is included in NvidiaGraphicsFixup):

Comment: Prevent AGDP from loading (credit: vit9696)
Name:    com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find:    ba050000 00
Replace: ba000000 00

Looking for a better touchpad driver I came across this cypress one:

https://github.com/ulysse31/voodoops2controllercypress

It looks interesting as there is a Preferences Pane component for configuration.  Has anyone tried it for the 9560?  I did try to install it and remove any conflicting kexts but it causes crashes on boot for me.

It would be nice to find a smoother scrolling touchpad, or one that does pinch-to-zoom.

Does anyone has a problem with clover ? Because I'm having issue when I check "fast" during the boot process to boot on the latest volume I have broken clover icon.. And he never fast boot..