Need some input on ASRock X99 WS - trying to boot to Sierra installer

ellnic

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my ASRock X99 WS board with an E5-2695v3 to boot the Sierra installer (made using 10.12.5 but have tried earlier versions of the app too). I'm not having much luck, so would appreciate some help. I get almost all the way through the boot process but get a reboot at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState.

Spec:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2695v3
Mobo: ASRock X99 WS (not the WS-E) spec here
GPU: Quadro 295 but have also tried an even older GT 9500
RAM: 32GB DDR4 ECC

This build was my old server hence the spec. The eventual aim is to drop in a better GPU to facilitate 4K displays and use it as a workstation for LR and PS and some 4K vid editing, but I need to know if I can get it working first.

What I've tried:

Varying boot arguments including disabling NV, web drivers etc

Varying settings in UEFI such as disabling C States, Serial Ports, Virtualisation etc.

Different system definitions (Mac Pro 6,1 and 5,1)

There have been plenty of success stories with the ASRock X99 Extreme 3's and 4's which I think only have a few small differences such as Intel Graphics and (I think) some have realtek Ethernet. The WS has no integrated graphics as they are assuming you're gonna drop a dedicated beast in for your applications. As such, I cannot fall back on Intel graphics. If the problem is one of the GPUs, I can get another, but I don't wanna grab one and then find it's the board.

I have attached my Clover folder, I'm not very experienced with Clover [i'm a legacy guy ;)] so I would appreciate any help.

I just picked up a similar board and a Xeon 2670 v3. I am picking everything up next week, and in the meantime I am pricing ram. The big difference is that I am going to run a GTX1080 card of some sort, as I am not sure it matters whether I run a quadro for what I do. Plus I want to see that new pascal driver in action. 

• Like 1

I love the Quadros, but I was also looking at one of the 1060's. I managed to get a little further, I can now see GUI... but I get a hang on either the grey screen (presumably just before the Installer actually appears) or on the screen with the Apple and the progress bar. The things that made the difference are all to do with the GPU, so I am pretty sure it's the issue. I might just bite the bullet and buy a 1060 or maybe even a 1050 to drop in and see if I get any further.

Oh, and just realised my clover folder didn't actually attach to my first post.. :rolleyes::blush:  Oh well, suppose it doesn't matter too much now... I'll attach later when I've tweaked again.

Also, I read in this thread that the E5 v3's don't need the NullCPU and do quite well, so feeling hopeful :)

@MaaseyRacer you'll be pleased to know that after much head scratching and thought, I am currently installing Sierra. It wasn't the GPU (although the 1050 I borrowed is installed now) but I reflashed the EFI (same version 3.30) and that seems to have done the trick.

EDIT: Almost there!

Whats working: GPU, USB3, Sleep (but it kicks the USB so it's disabled right  now), Ethernet (only one of them), Speedstep and CPU PM

What's not: Useful sleep (as mentioned above, it kicks USB and safe sleep USB causes a reboot), Audio (shown in sys prefs but doesn't seem to output), USB2

CPU PM: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/blob/Beta/README.md

I probably won't use sleep, but it would be nice to get it working. Same with USB2. I might ditch internal audio and use a Griffin iMic I have from yesteryear.