fantomas

Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Jan 29, 2020)

2,091 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

@antuanet,

STEP BY STEP:

1.) When a New OS Release comes out - WAIT for New Web Driver to Release

[1-A.) Sometimes it helps to DL the New Driver, that's why MOST of us Post Links

to the New Driver Release.  (NOTE: I've had my Mac Pro 5,1 - Daedalus' NVIDIA Web Driver Manager

FREEZE and state it CANNOT connect to the Web to DL New Driver.) In an emergency, one can then

use the Downloaded Driver to Install from.]

2.) Update MacOS to New Security Update

3.) On Login AFTER Successful OS Update, NVIDIA Web Driver Manager WILL PROMPT

you to Update the NVIDIA Web Driver.

4.) Upon successful Install of New Web Driver, you will be Prompted to Reboot one

final time.

NOTE:  DO NOT FORCE Install a New Driver onto an OLDER MacOS!  IT DOESN'T WORK!

(SEE YOUR Warning Msg.)

NOTE 2:  DO NOT FORCE Older Drivers onto a Newer MacOS.  (Been done by many.

Especially using the faulty 387.10.10.15.15.108 Driver.  HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED!)

TimeLord04

Hello.

Thanks for your answer but I done all of that and still not working.

As you can see already on the attached photos I sent you on the previews message.

So what we do now ?.

Advertisement
6 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

UPDATE MacOS BEFORE Updating the DAMNED DRIVER!  You've been TOLD THIS BEFORE!

Update MacOS to Security Update 2020-001 - (17G11023) - THEN FOLLOW the Directions IN NVIDIA Web Driver Updater!

[EDIT:]  TO CHECK YOUR OS  --->  GO TO "About This Mac"  --->  On "Version 10.13.6" Text, Left Click with your Mouse ONCE and it will EXPAND to

show you YOUR CURRENT VERSION NUMBER.  The WARNING MSG CLEARLY STATES YOU ARE NOT ON (17G11023)!

[EDIT2:]  I ALSO HIGHLY recommend that you Check The Box and have the NVIDIA Web Driver Manager placed onto the Apple Menu Bar.

This helps to easily identify if the Web Driver is Running or NOT.  (See new Menu Bar Pic that I've Uploaded.)

TimeLord04

MacOS Version - (17G11023).png

NVIDIA Driver Manager.png

Menu Bar.png

NVIDIA Driver Manager.png

Thanks.

I did upgrade and down load the latest Security Drive for my system and I could install the latest NVIDIA driver ...134 but after installed and re-start my computer I go to AE CC2018 and my GPU still not supported..

Really do not know what can be.

Thanks.

@antuanet,

Looking back a couple of Posts to see if I missed something, and I find that

your GT-750m IS NOT even being listed as a coprocessor!

It looks to have been 'Disabled', ONLY your Integrated Iris Pro GPU is showing.

Something has happened to your GT-750m.

TimeLord04

GT-750m Disabled.png

@antuanet,

This was BEFORE you Installed the Web Drivers:

[EDIT:]

I think @Hervé is right in that NOT ONLY do you NOT need the Web Drivers

for your GT-750m, BUT IN FACT they are causing GREAT HARM to what you want

to accomplish with your System.

Installing the CUDA Driver, (418.163), is one thing, BUT the Web Drivers are truly

designed for Maxwell and Pascal Cards ONLY.  Your Card is no later than Kepler and

is NORMALLY controlled by Driver 355.11.10.10.40.102 BUILT IN to MacOS.

IF it were my System, at this point I'd HIGHLY consider Uninstalling the Web Drivers.

TimeLord04

Pre 387.10.10.10.40.133 Driver.png

Edited by TimeLord04

I am on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G10021) , I haven't done the latest update cause using the Check Now button on nVidia Driver Manager, it tells me there is no update available as my web driver 133 is the newest. I saw that 134 is the newest, just wonder if it is safe to update the security patch 2020-001 or not ? My graphic card is GTX-1080.

55 minutes ago, RaymondK said:

I am on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G10021) , I haven't done the latest update cause using the Check Now button on nVidia Driver Manager, it tells me there is no update available as my web driver 133 is the newest. I saw that 134 is the newest, just wonder if it is safe to update the security patch 2020-001 or not ? My graphic card is GTX-1080.

YES! It is NOW quite safe, (with the Release of the ".134" Driver), to Update to 2020-001 Security Update - (17G11023).

You may wish to DL the Driver and have a direct copy for emergency use.  However; as always, after Updating the OS,

the NVIDIA Driver Manager WILL Prompt you to Update to ".134".

I ALSO suggest that you GO BACK several Posts to my "Step By Step" Instructions!

I laid everything out for @antuanet, specifically, BUT these "Step By Step"

Instructions go for EVERYONE!

You should also create your Signature and put in your System Specs for more specific

assistance.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Details.

20 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

YES! It is NOW quite safe, (with the Release of the ".134" Driver), to Update to 2020-001 Security Update - (17G11023).

You may wish to DL the Driver and have a direct copy for emergency use.  However; as always, after Updating the OS,

Thanks TimeLord04. Already updated. NP.

5 hours ago, RaymondK said:

Thanks TimeLord04. Already updated. NP.

You're welcome.  I see you've Updated your Signature, thank you.

Your Signature helps all of us to help you better, now and in the

future.  :)

TimeLord04

The past two web driver revisions (133 and 134) have slowed my work process to a halt. I am using ArchiCAD 23 and Twinmotion 2019 and this has become unusable due to the constant lag and redraw rates. Prior to that everything was nice and speedy.

I also just updated my config to power the GTX 780 with a Powerlink connected to two SATA ports on the logic board into one of the 8-pin connectors, and a mini 6-pin to 8-pin cable for the other using the normal video card power connector on the logic board. So, I figure that my power is all set at this point, but I'm not sure how to resolve this insane lag.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, TimeLord04 said:

I ALSO suggest that you GO BACK several Posts to my "Step By Step" Instructions!

I laid everything out for @antuanet, specifically, BUT these "Step By Step"

Instructions go for EVERYONE!

You should also create your Signature and put in your System Specs for more specific

assistance.

TimeLord04

Hello!

i have just updated to 17G11023 (which as you stated is safe now, since I had issues with the version before) and my GTX 1080, while everything updated well, has no acceleration, which is a huge bummer and I can‘t do any work (I’m not doing any work now, but I’d like to have it running anyways)

any fixes you know out of your mind?

system : x5650@4GHz, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, Asus P6x58D-E, iMac 18,3, clover 5103

2 hours ago, kamii said:

Hello!

i have just updated to 17G11023 (which as you stated is safe now, since I had issues with the version before) and my GTX 1080, while everything updated well, has no acceleration, which is a huge bummer and I can‘t do any work (I’m not doing any work now, but I’d like to have it running anyways)

any fixes you know out of your mind?

system : x5650@4GHz, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, Asus P6x58D-E, iMac 18,3, clover 5103

Acceleration ONLY comes through the Web Driver.  IF you've followed

the instructions and Updated the Web Driver to ".134" all should be fine.

Review what you've done, and make sure that the Web Driver is Updated.

TimeLord04

6 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

Acceleration ONLY comes through the Web Driver.  IF you've followed

the instructions and Updated the Web Driver to ".134" all should be fine.

Review what you've done, and make sure that the Web Driver is Updated.

TimeLord04

I‘m aware of that, followed the instructions (which are straight forward, I don’t understand who would do otherwise), the drivers are installed from what I can tell (pref. pane is working etc.) and web drivers are selected, yet there‘s no acceleration (my GPU is detected and shows up with all of its VRAM in "about my Mac“)

16 hours ago, kamii said:

I‘m aware of that, followed the instructions (which are straight forward, I don’t understand who would do otherwise), the drivers are installed from what I can tell (pref. pane is working etc.) and web drivers are selected, yet there‘s no acceleration (my GPU is detected and shows up with all of its VRAM in "about my Mac“)

I've been waiting for someone with more Web Driver knowledge than I to chime in.  HOWEVER:

As I understand the Web Driver, (as it's been since inception), is that IF your FULL amount of

VRAM IS being listed, (for my GTX-1070 it is 8GB GDDR5 VRAM), that Acceleration is also being

implemented...  ONE CANNOT HAPPEN WITHOUT THE OTHER, as described to me early on in my

Hackintosh learning curve from 2016 in El Capitan.  So, IF one ONLY sees "7MB" of VRAM, then

NO Acceleration is happening through the Web Driver.  IF; HOWEVER, your FULL VRAM, (for me,

8GB), then Acceleration IS happening.

IF I'm wrong on this, I'd GLADLY like to hear from @fantomas, @Hervé, @chris1111, or someone else

with more Web Driver knowledge than I.

(.png of Hackintosh-Andromeda "About This Mac" showing 8GB of VRAM WITH Acceleration...)

TimeLord04

Hackintosh-Andromeda WITH Acceleration.png

Although it tends to be generally the case, having the right of VRAM displayed in "About this Mac" does not necessarily translates into full graphics acceleration being in place.

Items to check in order to verify graphics acceleration include:

• Finder's bar translucency
  • Supported Features in DVDPlayer app
  • Smoothness and speed of LaunchPad

7 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

I've been waiting for someone with more Web Driver knowledge than I to chime in.  HOWEVER:

As I understand the Web Driver, (as it's been since inception), is that IF your FULL amount of

VRAM IS being listed, (for my GTX-1070 it is 8GB GDDR5 VRAM), that Acceleration is also being

implemented...  ONE CANNOT HAPPEN WITHOUT THE OTHER, as described to me early on in my

Hackintosh learning curve from 2016 in El Capitan.  So, IF one ONLY sees "7MB" of VRAM, then

NO Acceleration is happening through the Web Driver.  IF; HOWEVER, your FULL VRAM, (for me,

8GB), then Acceleration IS happening.

IF I'm wrong on this, I'd GLADLY like to hear from @fantomas, @Hervé, @chris1111, or someone else

with more Web Driver knowledge than I.

(.png of Hackintosh-Andromeda "About This Mac" showing 8GB of VRAM WITH Acceleration...)

TimeLord04

Hackintosh-Andromeda WITH Acceleration.png

It’s displaying the whole 8GB of VRAM in the "about my Mac“ section, proper name, brand, everything, yet I don’t have acceleration 

3 hours ago, Hervé said:

Although it tends to be generally the case, having the right of VRAM displayed in "About this Mac" does not necessarily translates into full graphics acceleration being in place.

Items to check in order to verify graphics acceleration include:

• Finder's bar translucency
  • Supported Features in DVDPlayer app
  • Smoothness and speed of LaunchPad

All of those are not how they should be, I always check the menu bar translucency, moving of finder windows on the desktop and opening the Launchpad, which all of those are laggy (just like no driver at all tbf) yet the driver is installed (tried the Benjamin-dowell script, Nvidia installer itself and insanelymac‘s Nvidia driver program), my 1080 is being shown in About my Mac, system report and I can fully access the driver panel with all its settings 

would love any help, thanks x

Does the Web Driver load? If you boot with Clover, did you tick/set Web Driver box in CC or boot with nvda_drv=1?

Why don't you post a zipped copy of your Clover EFI folder? If you cache add-on kexts from /S/L/E or /L/E, please specify which.

Edited by Hervé

17 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Does the Web Driver load? If you boot with Clover, did you tick/set Web Driver box in CC or boot with nvda_drv=1?

Why don't you post a zipped copy of your Clover EFI folder? If you cache add-on kexts from /S/L/E or /L/E, please specify which.

I have NvidiaWeb ticked in CC, nvda_drv=1 is also on (tried both by themselves and still didn‘t work)

I will upload my EFI as soon as I get home, which should be in 20 minutes 

edit : forgot to say that in the menubar in the Nvidia panel it‘s showing the Web driver ticked (I’d assume it‘s loading it then)

Edited by kamii

here is my CLOVER.zip and a screenshot of my 'About my Mac', the Nvidia Driver Panel and the system report of my 1080, hope you see something I don't which is giving me issues.

It's a mess of useless kext stuff but everything works besides the acceleration

hope you find something (or someone else)

thanks @Hervé

CLOVER.zip

screenshot osx.png

Looking at your setup, your issue is not Web Driver related per sé but more of an incorrect Clover config/kexts arrangement. So thanks for taking your issue elsewhere and opening a separate thread in the relevant and appropriate section.

47 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Looking at your setup, your issue is not Web Driver related per sé but more of an incorrect Clover config/kexts arrangement. So thanks for taking your issue elsewhere and opening a separate thread in the relevant and appropriate section.

thank you for the starting point of it being clover related, guess i'll see if i can get some help in another thread on here, hopefully it'll get figured out

thanks !

Finally got this working.  I'm not sure why, but updating web drivers is a huge pain in the ass for me.  I have to disable SIP (remove the key in Opencore config.plist), Clear/Clean NVRAM, install the drivers, reboot, reenable SIP, and enable the web drivers from the menu icon. 

Anything else gives me a black screen and/or the "Default macOS graphics driver" [nice lowercase m there].

I'm not sure they're even making any changes at this point other than updating Info.plist to match the build of MacOS.  I suppose I could diff the binaries but meh.

@caro.ok

In my opinion, NVIDIA no longer supports CUDA on MacOS

On 3/3/2020 at 12:56 AM, caro.ok said:

Hey, i would be glad if anyone could help me why the nvidia driver is not working :(

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.44.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.44.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.45.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.45.23.png

3-10-2020 at 2:15 PM - PDT

@caro.ok,

It seems, from what you've posted, that whatever NVIDIA GPU that you have

is NOT being seen by your System.  In the Pics. provided, the Intel UHD-630

is being displayed as your Primary GPU for your Display.

Can you see if Switching the Video Card to the NVIDIA GPU, from within MacOS,

will bring up the Specs of the NVIDIA GPU in "About This Mac"?  I'm NOT sure

where in the Preferences Section this is done, but I've seen this mentioned in

other Threads.

TimeLord04

@pitrysha,

CUDA Driver 418.163 is the LAST CUDA Driver for MacOS AND works JUST FINE

in High Sierra.

TimeLord04