fantomas

[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,845 posts in this topic

Bit of a story for you, I too was getting stuck at OSInstall.mpkg error while trying to boot from USB but installing from .app worked fine. That was until yesterday when I wiped my laptop completely including EFI partition. So I thought I would have to install Sierra then upgrade to High Sierra, but no I created a fresh USB of HS (createinstallmedia method) and it booted and installed fine to my surprise. I'm not saying wipe your entire hdd but there must be some variables on a pc that already has either macOS and or Windows installed which prevents the HS installer installing from USB correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Usually Windows is the problem, as always.

Advertisement

Just out of curiosity I tried to install macOS High Sierra on an Apple iMac 14,3 with 2.5" HDD to see if the speed problem is hackintosh related or not. Here is the results:

macOS High Sierra is "PAINFULLY SLOW" on an Apple iMac 21.5, 14.3" with a mechanical HDD. Either APFS is not meant to be used on a conventional hard disk drive or it has some serous bugs!

I personally think that APFS is developed for SSD drives or flash storages.

I tried installing it on mechanical HDDs on my hackintoshes and the result was the same, So beeeeeeeping slow. It performs fine on USB 3.0 flash drive. (I used Sand Disk Ultra Flair 130 MB/s).

The first boot takes forever so I had to force reboot the iMac and after that there is no difference.

Just wanted to share my experiment with you guys.

Cheers

For anyone that runs into the endless "Begin Gfx firmware load process"... "Hash data from ME never returned", when attempting to use native KBL kexts with Kaby Lake integrated graphics...

You can add kernel flag "-disablegfxfirmware" to config.plist/Boot/Arguments to skip the firmware load code.

Probably same thing with 10.12.6 native KBL kexts, but I only tested on 10.13.dp1.

For anyone that runs into the endless "Begin Gfx firmware load process"... "Hash data from ME never returned", when attempting to use native KBL kexts with Kaby Lake integrated graphics...

You can add kernel flag "-disablegfxfirmware" to config.plist/Boot/Arguments to skip the firmware load code.

Probably same thing with 10.12.6 native KBL kexts, but I only tested on 10.13.dp1.

What do I need to do in order to run "native" kbl kexts? Like, what adjustments from the normal way of doing things with kext(like the ones you've made). I have Kaby Lake 7700HQ on dell xps 15.

What do I need to do in order to run "native" kbl kexts? Like, what adjustments from the normal way of doing things with kext(like the ones you've made). I have Kaby Lake 7700HQ on dell xps 15.

Typical setup:

- config.plist/Inject/Intel=true

- config.plist/ig-platform-id set to valid ig-platform-id for KabyLake.  My process was on a desktop, so I used 0x59120000.  Laptops would be different.

- config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0

- as mentioned, kernel flag -disablegfxfirmware (if you get the problem with firmware load)

- Lilu.kext + IntelGraphicsFixup.kext probably needed (latest versions)

- DVMT-prealloc set to 64mb or larger (or use patch ig-platform-id data as required for 32mb)

- no need for FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext, but if you install it in this scenario... it won't do anything (it doesn't load with native KBL device-id)

Extracted ig-platform-id values from AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext....

ig-platform-id values KBL 10.13.dp1

00 00 1E 59 
00 00 16 59
00 00 23 59
00 00 26 59
00 00 27 59
09 00 27 59
00 00 12 59
00 00 1B 59
01 00 1E 59
02 00 18 59
03 00 12 59
07 00 26 59
04 00 27 59
02 00 26 59
06 00 1B 59

patchable for DVMT-prealloc:

0x591b0000 01030303 00006002 00005001
0x59260007 00030303 00009003 00005001

Guys what about Thunderbolt in HighSierra are we still need first driver install from inside Windows or is it natively working like NVME drive?

Guys also there is link it shown SMBios Bios Version lists I can't find it could you please someone share this link for me?

Edit: No need I finally I found it.

https://app.box.com/notes/183416439163?s=hdyka2exm4ndrzyfz11mcdrocn9f7sz3

Just out of curiosity I tried to install macOS High Sierra on an Apple iMac 14,3 with 2.5" HDD to see if the speed problem is hackintosh related or not. Here is the results:

macOS High Sierra is "PAINFULLY SLOW" on an Apple iMac 21.5, 14.3" with a mechanical HDD. Either APFS is not meant to be used on a conventional hard disk drive or it has some serous bugs!

I personally think that APFS is developed for SSD drives or flash storages.

I tried installing it on mechanical HDDs on my hackintoshes and the result was the same, So beeeeeeeping slow. It performs fine on USB 3.0 flash drive. (I used Sand Disk Ultra Flair 130 MB/s).

The first boot takes forever so I had to force reboot the iMac and after that there is no difference.

Just wanted to share my experiment with you guys.

Cheers

For me High Sierra runs slow on HFS+j and APFS formatted SSDs (no difference between them when it comes to speed)...

It's even worse when I open up safari... then the complete system feels and acts like when it would if you don't have graphics acceleration. As long as I don't open Safari it's pretty slow, but usable.

10.12.6 runs very smooth

For me High Sierra runs slow on HFS+j and APFS formatted SSDs (no difference between them when it comes to speed)...

It's even worse when I open up safari... then the complete system feels and acts like when it would if you don't have graphics acceleration. As long as I don't open Safari it's pretty slow, but usable.

10.12.6 runs very smooth

i have no issues like that 

10.12.6 runs very smooth

On which computer you are running macOS High Sierra? What are the specs?

If you are referring to the Pentium III machine that you've posted a photo of the desktop in the "Show Your Desktop!" thread I must say, WOW man. ;)

But seriously I tested macOS High Sierra on 4 different computers two of which were genuine Apple computers one with SSD hard drives and the other one has a mechanical HDD and it was disaster. The other two computers are in my signature with SSD hard drives and with those computers macOS High Sierra works flawlessly except for the 1070 GPU that needs nVidia WeDriver so I just tested macOS High Sierra with the IntelHD 530 and also with the AMD Radeon 7790 it is as smooth as it could be.

Without graphic acceleration the whole experience is clouded and I can say for sure it's a bad experience with any version of a operating system macOS, Windows, Linux etc. But we all already know that don't we :)

HFS works fine on both HDD and SSD drives but AFPS only performs ok on SSD hard drives.

As a reference, albeit a low-specs one by today's standard, I run High Sierra perfectly Ok on my 2008 Dell Latitude D630. Its specs are as follows:

* Penryn Core2Duo T9500 CPU (2.5GHz, FSB800, 6Mo L2 cache)

* 4Go DDR2-800

* nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics

* Intel 965GM chipset

* ICH8-M I/O controller (SATA-II)

* Intel Series 330 SSD (no Trim enabled or boot slows down)

It's an old and obsolete girl but it keeps running fine even on those recent macOS versions.

Well that's really an old gal, which is surprising that performs well with the latest versions of macOS, even older Apple computers from 2008 to 2010 iMacs and MacBook Pros don't play nice with macOS Sierra.

They tend to get slow in the performance 

On which computer you are running macOS High Sierra? What are the specs?

If you are referring to the Pentium III machine that you've posted a photo of the desktop in the "Show Your Desktop!" thread I must say, WOW man. ;)

But seriously I tested macOS High Sierra on 4 different computers two of which were genuine Apple computers one with SSD hard drives and the other one has a mechanical HDD and it was disaster. The other two computers are in my signature with SSD hard drives and with those computers macOS High Sierra works flawlessly except for the 1070 GPU that needs nVidia WeDriver so I just tested macOS High Sierra with the IntelHD 530 and also with the AMD Radeon 7790 it is as smooth as it could be.

Without graphic acceleration the whole experience is clouded and I can say for sure it's a bad experience with any version of a operating system macOS, Windows, Linux etc. But we all already know that don't we :)

HFS works fine on both HDD and SSD drives but AFPS only performs ok on SSD hard drives.

Yeah, pretty awesome huh...?  :lol:

No, I have two High Sierra installations on my Dell Optiplex 755 (signature), one is on a hfs partition and one is on a seperate SSD formatted as APFS. They are both slow. I reinstalled High Sierra a couple of times in the past week, and every single install is slow.

In a couple of days (hopefully tomorrow) i'll get another Optiplex with a Sandy Bridge i5, we'll see how it runs on that  :)

on my xps 15 10.13 hs apfs is runnin smooth as butter on the internal nvme ssd. I feel like maybe some of you may be gettin bottlenecked, causing hiccups, by the usb on your external hard drive/ssd or by being on a hdd instead of a ssd.

@ricoc90

Good luck man! :)

I'm thinking about adding a new KabyLake to the family just for the tests and to see how macOS High Sierra will play along with the 7th generation of the Intel CPUs.

I also downloaded the macOS Sierra 10.12.5 update for new 2017 iMacs but I didn't have the time to dissect it yet to see what Apple has inside it.

here is the link for those whom are interested:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1921?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

on my xps 15 10.13 hs apfs is runnin smooth as butter on the internal nvme ssd. I feel like maybe some of you may be gettin bottlenecked, causing hiccups, by the usb on your external hard drive/ssd or by being on a hdd instead of a ssd.

You're right about the getting bottlenecked with the HDDs. All the HDD drives I tested so far were old SATA 3.0 GB/s drives and they are not good enough for benchmarks, I haven't tested the new macOS with a 6 GB/s HDD drive yet but I don't expect a miracle.

FYI, Installed High Sierra on an internal mechanical drive (runs at 5400 rpm :o) and I've noticed the following :

- Install is slow on APFS

- Boot is slow on APFS

- Looks like there's some indexation (Spotlight?) in the background that makes things really slow at first glance but it's getting better and faster after a while. Not as smooth as Sierra but still usable on a daily basis

my 2cts…

Keep in mind that this a just a DP1 guys ;) !

I had a devil of a time figuring out how to hide my Preboot and Recovery partitions for High Sierra.  All of my APFS partitions (the one I made and the ones made automatically) have virtually the same ID so when I was entering strings to hide, I ended up hiding all of the APFS partitions.  Here's what it looks like in my bootlog.  I have highlighted the portion of the IDs that distinguish one from another.  That is what needs to be entered in Clover to hide those partitions.

2:984 0:000 - [15]: Volume: PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(5,GPT,270EDB00-BC75-4E10-9F05-67A1D73DFAD3,0x198F21C8,0x42C88C0)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,8E801EBC600EC04891DBD317C11D5F54) -- THIS IS PREBOOT

2:984 0:000 - [16]: Volume: PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(5,GPT,270EDB00-BC75-4E10-9F05-67A1D73DFAD3,0x198F21C8,0x42C88C0)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,DC8B3533327ED232A0792F28E45CD0F0) -- THIS IS HIGH SIERRA OS
2:984 0:000 - [17]: Volume: PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(5,GPT,270EDB00-BC75-4E10-9F05-67A1D73DFAD3,0x198F21C8,0x42C88C0)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,4A079A1A0C66C8428B2515320AE989C9) -- THIS IS RECOVERY

Hopefully, this will save someone some time figuring this out.

@mnfesq

This will only works for you as volume UUID are unique to your system.

F10 at boot to take screenshoots and bdmesg in terminal to find UUIDs

Quite a bit old but should work the same :).

@mnfesq

This will only works for you as volume UUID are unique to your system.

F10 at boot to take screenshoots and bdmesg in terminal to find UUIDs

Quite a bit old but should work the same :).

Of course the exact IDs will be different for each user but the important thing here is that APFS creates 3 partitions with virtually identical IDs except for the last string of numbers.  The point is that those numbers are what need to be added to Clover because any other portion of the ID will hide all 3 partitions.  I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

Oh, and you can get your bootlog using Clover Configurator and it will save it to a text file.  In my case, however, I have 19 partitions listed on the 3 hard drives I have on my computer.  Most of those partitions are created automatically and do not need to be listed in Clover.  It's not always easy to identify which partitions are the ones to hide.

Don't use these flags, exclude all strings in config.plist concerning Intel graphics, don't set any ig-platform-id and then the system set graphics properties by default and this works.

As well other good settings is 0x193b0000 for my motherboard.

Thanks man

add 0x193b0000 and login to 10.13 beta

Regards

Just tried daisy chaining monitors. DP 1.2 still doesn't work. A bit of a shame.

On the plus side I plugged in my R9 390x and it worked oob. nothing ticked at all, it's coming up 0x67b01002 with 44 compute units :)

Still needs the helper card or an igpu of course.

Luxmark is coming in way higher than the other computer with the R9 Nano - 28250 vs 20100, whereas the other benchmarks such as CB are slower.  Leading me to believe that Luxmark is using the 7970 helper card to help.

post-1564334-0-05352700-1497947768_thumb.pngpost-1564334-0-08641400-1497948008_thumb.png

Same for hd4600

Hey Winston, could you please share with the strings you use to let it work?

As a reference, albeit a low-specs one by today's standard, I run High Sierra perfectly Ok on my 2008 Dell Latitude D630. Its specs are as follows:

* Penryn Core2Duo T9500 CPU (2.5GHz, FSB800, 6Mo L2 cache)

* 4Go DDR2-800

* nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics

* Intel 965GM chipset

* ICH8-M I/O controller (SATA-II)

* Intel Series 330 SSD (no Trim enabled or boot slows down)

It's an old and obsolete girl but it keeps running fine even on those recent macOS versions.

Does your Nvidia Quadro work properly? Can you switch res and  graphics acceleration? If yes how did you achieved it? (My Nvidia Quadro works only safe booting)

Thank you

Everything works perfectly, graphics work OOB. The nVidia specs are injected in DSDT. It's the same DSDT since Snow Leopard, albeit the renaming of EHCx USB controllers to EH0x since El Capitan. Since Sierra, I've just switched from MBP5,1 SMBIOS to MBP7,1 to avoid the "unsupported platform" error message.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2017/post-851564-0-70950000-1496876221.png

There are many models of nVidia Quadro cards. Which is yours? What's your platform?