[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

1) it’s not possible to choose anything in Beta 4 for HFS+

2) if I Install clover the drive is not bootable at all and also not visible without an HFS drive.

I do not know how you try it but yes it is possible to have HFS + and for APFS you need Drivers UEFI apfs.efi or apfs-64.efi for the Legacy Clover

You must put this drivers into drivers64UEFI or drivers64

Then why we talk about it? Try to install beta 4 then we can talk further.

Beta 3 was completely different but Beta 4 changed a lot!

I have Install BETA 1,2,3,4  HFS+ and APFS

I guess it depends on the media type HighSierra should be installed on. I use iMAC 13.2 SMBIOS and for testing purpose I installed HighSierra DP4 on a spinning disk and a SSD both were formatted as HFS+ the spinning disk stayed on HFS+ after installation and HighSierra runs fine on it but the SSD was converted to APFS during install without any further notice. I guess it really depends on the target media type and the SMBIOS does not have any influence on it. 

Sure but depending on the boot loader you use you need apfs.efi for Clover oder apfs.ffs for Oz otherwise APFS Volumes won't be detected. In case of Clover just put apfs.efi to drivers64UEFI or drivers64 depending on your Clover installation. Use UEFI flavour if installed for UEFI Motherboards or drivers64 if installed for legacy Motherboards.

At griven : Was it possible to you to boot High Sierra from the apfs drive?

If your trying to boot clover on a apfs drive you will need to install clover but it will install the files in the root on the drive/partition. You need to mount your EFI and copy the clover files into it and replace the config.plist with yours plus add kexts etc. I hope this helps.

Yes for a fresh install on an SSD for me with Beta 4 was apfs only no option to choose not to upgrade. iMac 17,1 smbios.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Unknown CPU Fixed

About this Mac unknown cpu error fixed.

Thius patched worked Haswell-E CPU and  Broadwell CPU

1-Enable in config xcpm_bootstrap_Broadwell or Haswell

2-Enable in config xcpm_cpuid_set_infoBroadwell or Haswell

3-FakeCPUID is Broadwell 0x040674

4.CPU Type is Broadwell 0x0a02

5-FakeCPUID is Haswell 0x0306F2

6.CPU Type is Haswell 0x0a01

XCPM Brodwell and Haswell.zip

post-413859-0-93605300-1501387320_thumb.png

1) it’s not possible to choose anything in Beta 4 for HFS+

2) if I Install clover the drive is not bootable at all and also not visible without an HFS drive.

I don't understand these questions. I've made a fresh install. And like others masOS, you can format a hard disk via disk utility (macOS journalized for example) and install Beta 4.

For Clover, you can copy clover from usb on EFI mounted partition or post-install it.

The installation is no different from the beta 3, you are talking about

LOL you can format what ever you want but Developer Beta 4 converts everything to APFS

On my config, since Beta 1, there is no convert automatically to Apfs during installation. For Beta 4, Apple say "HDD Macs only can't be converted" in this seed release.

Until first Beta,  macOS Installer  indicates the upgrade on some system: just deselect. LOL  Apple make change? Did you do Beta 4 clean install?

post-1110743-0-68753400-1501402670_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have tried to install High Sierra in HDD without changing anything in smbios (Configuration suggested by Clover) and the installation DP4 automatically changes APFS.
If you change Bios Version FF and FFM, the installation is done in HFS +.
I had to format HDD a few times without being aware of it, until I made the changes.

APFS
post-887245-0-57011700-1501407456_thumb.png

HFS+
post-887245-0-16479300-1501407500_thumb.png

Update from DP1 to DP4

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90

LOL you can format what ever you want but Developer Beta 4 converts everything to APFS

I'm on HFS+j too with DP4. 

You asked if it was possible and you got your answer. Multiple people are saying that it is.

You're also told how to make Clover to boot and how to install Clover on APFS.

Chris1111 even installed it on HFS+j to actually show you that it is possible. So, what more do you want?

If you're not able to install on HFS+j or to boot APFS, then maybe you should tell us how you are trying to do it so that we can help you, instead of questioning someone elses answers.

I installed High Sierra Beta 3 to APFS, but I am unable to install any version of Clover to the install drive. The installation does not complete.

Clover Packages not working in apfs volumes this is already discuss since the first day HS Beta

You need to do this manually for UEFI , Mounting the EFI Partition

• Like 1

Maybe creating a second partition and doing this:

How to hide a hard drive partition on your Mac
August 27, 2014

HardDriveIconX.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=Generally when you either partition your Mac’s boot drive, or attach a secondary drive to your Mac, then provided the partition’s formatting is compatible with OS X, you should see it mount and be available in the Finder. However, there may be times when you might wish to keep a partition hidden, either because you do not use it, or because it is not intended to be shown in the first place.

Some examples of this are the “EFI” or “Recovery HD” partitions on your boot drive, that support system functions but are not intended to be accessed directly; however, in some cases (especially in dual-boot environments) you might find these showing up. Of course, modifying the contents of these may destabilize your system or prevent some features from working properly, so you might want to prevent these from mounting.

If you have partitions showing on your Mac that you would like to hide, then you can do so, but will need to get under the hood with some Terminal commands. Don’t worry, the methods used here are entirely harmless and can easily be undone:

1. Get the partition’s UUID

VolumeUUID.png?resize=300%2C216&ssl=1

The volume’s UUID can be found and copied here in the Disk Utility info window (click image for larger view).

Open Disk Utility, where you should see the list of volumes (partitions) for each drive on your Mac. Select the drive you want to hide, and press Command-i to get information on it. Resize the info window that appears to reveal the entire Universal Unique Identifier (UUID) for the drive, and then select and copy the entire UUID.

The UUID can also be found in the Terminal by typing “diskutil info,” followed by a single space, and then dragging the desired hard drive to the Terminal window before pressing Enter. For instance, the following command will get info on a volume called “EFI”:

diskutil info /Volumes/EFI

You can then find “Volume UUID” in the output of this command to find the UUID needed to hide this partition.

2. Edit or create the “fstab” file

The “fstab” file is a hidden system file that is used to specify how partitions are handled in OS X, where you can have them mount at specific points other than the default, or mount only in read mode. We are going to use it to prevent the partition (identified by its UUID) from mounting.

To create or edit this file, open the Terminal and run the following command from an administrative account:

sudo pico /etc/fstab

This will open an editor, in which you will enter the syntax needed to hide the drive.

3. Add the fstab commands to hide the drive

Enter the following command, replacing the UUID consisting of zeros with the one you copied for your partition’s volume.

UUID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 none hfs rw,noauto

What this command does is specify the identifier (the UUID), then the mount point (none), followed by the format (hfs), and then options (read/write, and no auto mount). The keys here are that the mount point is set to none, which prevents the drive from mounting, and noauto, which prevents an attempt to automatically mount it.

fstabnomount.png?resize=625%2C286&ssl=1

The UUID specified (arrow) in the fstab file will be set to not mount automatically.

You can specify as many drives you want in the fstab file, by adding one per line. When finished, to save the file press Control-O (this writes out the file), and then press Control-X to exit the editor.

With the fstab file updated and saved, you can now reboot your system, and the specified drives should no longer automatically mount. Keep in mind that this will only pertain to the current operating system, so if you dual-boot your Mac and see these drives load in more than one OS X installation you use, then you will have to follow these instructions to edit the fstab file for each OS.

While this can be used for hiding system partitions like the Recovery HD and EFI, you can also hide any other partitions you might not want inadvertently modified. Just similarly add them to the fstab file, followed by rebooting and they should also hide.

Undoing the changes

If for some reason you no longer want a partition hidden, then simply edit the fstab file and remove the line that specifies the partition. If you have not used the fstab file for other purposes, then you can also simply delete it by running the following command in an administrative account, followed by restarting:

sudo rm /etc/fstab

Then install clover in that partition ( I think must be Fat32 ) and format the other partition as APFS.