Cyberdevs

[Guide] Install macOS Sierra 10.12.5 on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

519 posts in this topic

Thanks to the DriveDX Tool it informed me that the firmware of the SSDs were outated, so I updated that too now. Great tool!

POWER ON TIMEs:

MAC SSD: 5.489 h (7 Months, 18 Days)

WIN SSD: 7.535 (10 Months, 13 Days)

DATA HDD: 6.516 (9 Months, 1 Day)

Advertisement

Thanks to the DriveDX Tool it informed me that the firmware of the SSDs were outated, so I updated that too now. Great tool!

POWER ON TIMEs:

MAC SSD: 5.489 h (7 Months, 18 Days)

WIN SSD: 7.535 (10 Months, 13 Days)

DATA HDD: 6.516 (9 Months, 1 Day)

You're welcome :)

It is one of the best SMART monitoring softwares that I have found over the years. It's more accurate than the other ones.

The Power On Times are usual. There is also two built-in Self-Tests that you can run on your hard disks and it will check for the errors on your hard disk. (Short Self-test and Long Self-test)

if those tests fail there is a serious problem in your hard disks.

You can also run the Disk utility's First Aid on your HFS formatted volumes to check and repair the software related errors. DO NOT RUN FISRT AID on NTFS or FAT32 formatted hard disks.

​Thanks for letting us know... I suppose we can just put in our clover kexts folder like the others.

You're welcome :)

Actually the kext needs to be installed in the /Library/Extensions.

Hey guys, I've been trying to get my Z170-UD5-TH hack to have integrated and discreet graphics running at the same time (intel 530 as IGPU and 1080 ti as GFX0) :)

Everything's working great, quick sync is enabled however after the computer goes to sleep it takes over 20-30 seconds for wifi to turn back on. Its almost like my wifi card is disabled for that period of time.

The card is a natively supported BCM94360CD in a pci slot and works with almost no delay (5 seconds max) without the intel 530 igpu enabled (just the 1080 ti)

Does anyone know what could be causing this delay?

WiFi delay, sound problems and audio volume problems are generally related to SMC and nvram.

since we don't have a SMC chipset in our hacks the only thing that I can think of is the nvram and the FakeSMC so check that you have the latest FakeSMC and use these commands in terminal to clean the nvram, or just remove the nvram.plist if it's present in the EFI partition and see how it goes.

sudo nvram -c
sudo purge

Hi guys

I just found a fix for iBooks and the transparent window issue:

https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/releases

Install this kext as instructed and it will fix the issue.

Hello again cyberdevs,

I was about to try this Kext, however then I tested before to find the iBooks transparent window has already been fixed now. That is in the newest 10.12.6, with the newest .25. nvidia web driver. So it seems this kext is not needed [for that] anymore.

However readme on github does say 'makes nvidia the primary graphics'... So perhaps there can still be other graphics issues which this kext might be able to solve. Dont know...

Anyhow the only glitch i saw anymore is: black rectangle in the system tray (menubar). So if it solves other glitches then its still useful i guess? So I'm going to hang on to this one. But not going to apply yet until I first see something else to reproduce and test it with / without the kext.

Hello again cyberdevs,

I was about to try this Kext, however then I tested before to find the iBooks transparent window has already been fixed now. That is in the newest 10.12.6, with the newest .25. nvidia web driver. So it seems this kext is not needed [for that] anymore.

However readme on github does say 'makes nvidia the primary graphics'... So perhaps there can still be other graphics issues which this kext might be able to solve. Dont know...

Anyhow the only glitch i saw anymore is: black rectangle in the system tray (menubar). So if it solves other glitches then its still useful i guess? So I'm going to hang on to this one. But not going to apply yet until I first see something else to reproduce and test it with / without the kext.

I have the nVidia set as primary and running the latest updates for macOS and Web Driver but I still had the same problem with iBooks, I checked right after the updates but the problem was still there so I posted about the kext. I still have the rectangle glitches as well.

But if you don't need the kext anymore that's awesome :)

WiFi delay, sound problems and audio volume problems are generally related to SMC and nvram.

since we don't have a SMC chipset in our hacks the only thing that I can think of is the nvram and the FakeSMC so check that you have the latest FakeSMC and use these commands in terminal to clean the nvram, or just remove the nvram.plist if it's present in the EFI partition and see how it goes.

sudo nvram -c
sudo purge

Thankyou for the suggestion 

I just tried that but no luck the long delay is still there :/

Would you suggest downgrading to an older bios where nvram support was native?

Thankyou for the suggestion 

I just tried that but no luck the long delay is still there :/

Would you suggest downgrading to an older bios where nvram support was native?

As far as I know since f20, downgrading to previous versions is not supported since Gigabyte made it almost impossible, but if you can find a way to do so and If you don't want to use KabyLake cpus you can use f5 which had nvram support.

Guy, does anybody experiencing the buggy USB 3.0 speed with the new 10.12.6?

I also replaced the USBInjectAll.kext with the latest version 0.6.2 it's a little bit better but still not as good as before.

I tested two different USB disks and the results is the same, the USB 3.0 speed slows down after a few seconds.

So please let me know if you are experiencing the same.

As far as I know since f20, downgrading to previous versions is not supported since Gigabyte made it almost impossible, but if you can find a way to do so and If you don't want to use KabyLake cpus you can use f5 which had nvram support.

^^ This.

Aparrently... there is a way to downgrade the BIOS to before F20. But its not so nice and easy thing. Perhaps a little risky to brick the BIOS if you do it wrong. Or else maybe you can use a SOIC8 clip / spi hardware flasher. To bypass the QFlash restriction and manually reflash. Which is another more difficult / harder ways.

The other reason to go back is for bclk overclocking of locked skylake CPUs... which disables IGP at OS load time. But you can still on IGP graphics see the boot screen and enter the BIOS screens. I tested / tried this on Gaming 3.

Guy, does anybody experiencing the buggy USB 3.0 speed with the new 10.12.6?

I also replaced the USBInjectAll.kext with the latest version 0.6.2 it's a little bit better but still not as good as before.

I tested two different USB disks and the results is the same, the USB 3.0 speed slows down after a few seconds.

So please let me know if you are experiencing the same.

​Again thanks for letting us know! Because I didnt know this either. Using the same method here. But I'm talking to another guy here who has made DSDT for Gaming 3 with other USB3 method (not USBInjectAll.kext)... so I will try test / compare tomorrow also. (both kinds his way and mine).

remember: ​For testing USB 3 speeds, its...

dd if=/dev/rdiskX of=/dev/null bs=1m count=100

the device name in OS X must be the /dev/rdiskX one and not /dev/diskX OK guys!

@SavageAUS

Dude, we miss you here :)

Did you notice any drop in USB 3.0 Speed with macOS 10.12.6?

Awww how sweet lol. Sorry got a lot going on.

I actually havnt noticed a speed drop in .6 but I havnt tested it either. I create USB's with dd in terminal and the source is usually on my server, I havnt seen it take longer than previously but I'll run a speed test with my flair and see how I go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Awww how sweet lol. Sorry got a lot going on.

I actually havnt noticed a speed drop in .6 but I havnt tested it either. I create USB's with dd in terminal and the source is usually on my server, I havnt seen it take longer than previously but I'll run a speed test with my flair and see how I go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll appreciate it :)

I will also test the command that @dreamcat4 posted and see how it turns out.

I did some tests with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and the results were upsetting :(

Heres my test result on a fat32 partitioned 850 evo ssd, attached on:

usb 3.0 enclosure, on usb 3.0 header next to the 24-pin atx socket.

ga-z170x-g3:250_ id$ dd if=/dev/zero of=00 bs=1m count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes transferred in 0.388728 secs (269745328 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:250_ id$ dd if=/dev/zero of=00 bs=1m count=200
200+0 records in
200+0 records out
209715200 bytes transferred in 0.818502 secs (256218327 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:250_ id$ dd if=/dev/zero of=00 bs=1m count=300
300+0 records in
300+0 records out
314572800 bytes transferred in 1.317064 secs (238843966 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:250_ id$ dd if=/dev/zero of=00 bs=1m count=400
400+0 records in
400+0 records out
419430400 bytes transferred in 1.708555 secs (245488383 bytes/sec)

and heres the same tests repeated on the same disk as a raw block device (rdisk)

ga-z170x-g3:/ root# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes transferred in 0.445748 secs (235239720 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:/ root# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m count=200
200+0 records in
200+0 records out
209715200 bytes transferred in 0.887426 secs (236318484 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:/ root# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m count=300
300+0 records in
300+0 records out
314572800 bytes transferred in 1.331839 secs (236194342 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:/ root# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m count=400
400+0 records in
400+0 records out
419430400 bytes transferred in 1.775635 secs (236214312 bytes/sec)
ga-z170x-g3:/ root# 

And in BlackMagic Speed Test.app, it says "225.2 mb/sec write speed, 257.2 mb/sec read speed"

Which matches closely with the results from dd command line (225.27 mb/sec for the very last 400mb test here).

From memory (i had posted the result in another thread a long time ago). Compared to previous test before, and on this 10.12.6 update now, it seems no different for me cyberdevs.

If you are experiencing slower performance now, it might be something else. For example:

I had this other SSD here got overloaded too much, it had not enought time to do its garbage collection (to recover itself). And was temporarily in a slow performance mode. Some dude told me to write 000000 the whole drive, and just leave it plugged in idle (powered on system). My SSD came back to its normal performance.

@dreamcat4

Thanks for the info but can you please do me a favor and let the Blackmagic Disk Tester run for about 5 minutes with your USB disk selected as the target disk and choose the 5 GB file and see if the speed drops over time?

and here is my results with terminal command:

dd if=/dev/rdisk5 of=/dev/null bs=1m count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes transferred in 1.298610 secs (80746030 bytes/sec)
bash-3.2# dd if=/dev/rdisk5 of=/dev/null bs=1m count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes transferred in 1.294638 secs (80993766 bytes/sec)

I have to say that the problem I'm experiencing is of USB Flash Disk Drives. I haven't tested the external SSD Disks because I don't have one. :rofl:

At the begging the read/write speed is OK but after a few minutes the speed drops drastically.

Yeah... I was about to say: that is clearly a symptom of flash-based devices. If your speed initially starts looking OK, then that means the USB 3 bus speeds is fine. And can handle that bandwidth - all is OK with the USB 3 chipset performance.

Yeah... I was about to say: that is clearly a symptom of flash-based devices. If your speed initially starts looking OK, then that means the USB 3 bus speeds is fine. And can handle that bandwidth - all is OK with the USB 3 chipset performance.

Yup I zeroed out the flash disk and in few minutes the extended test will be done and then I'll check the disk again and if it's the same I just need to replace it ;)

Yup I zeroed out the flash disk and in few minutes the extended test will be done and then I'll check the disk again and if it's the same I just need to replace it ;)

post-1083558-0-32903100-1501571142_thumb.png

Thanks, but how long did you let the test run?

Around 5 minutes i think.

Running it again now, Read speeds stay nice and high, around 144 MB/S but yeah while watching write speeds do drop to around 30 MB/s and the lowest i saw was 28 but it stays around 40 alot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now