Triple Boots

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have 3 ssd in my computer, Sierra 10.12.5, Windows7, and Ubuntu 16.04.  I use latest Clover.  I was able to have Clover show Mac and Windows7 but I do not know how to have Clover show Ubuntu.  Please help me,

Attached hope it help.

2vxm90y.jpg

21evyp4.jpg

34q1tzs.jpg

Can't help with Clover, but I was able to use GRUB 2 to select OS to boot, by adding Sierra menu entry as chainloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can't help with Clover, but I was able to use GRUB 2 to select OS to boot, by adding Sierra menu entry as chainloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kneize.

Please show me how to do it GRUB 2.

Here is my screenshot but MacOS did not show and I do not know how to add Sierra

2w3474z.jpg

Thanks Kneize.

Please show me how to do it GRUB 2.

Here is my screenshot but MacOS did not show and I do not know how to add Sierra

2w3474z.jpg

Hey. Quick manual.

1. Get grub customizer through Terminal

sudo apt install grub-customizer

2. run app, you should see something similar to this:

KBdi3Cx.png

3. Determine your EFI installation partition.

4. run blkid command on it

blkid /dev/sdd1

Output should be similar to this one:

/dev/sdd1: LABEL="EFI" UUID="67E3-17ED" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="e89296b3-b99c-4718-801b-5467f7884083"

5. Copy UUID

6. Add new entry in grub customizer

7. Replace UUID and copy options like on screenshot

jKCkh7E.jpg

Double-check path to *.efi file

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 67E3-17ED

chainloader (${root})/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

That's all. Good luck.

P.S. It's a bit late in my local time, I'll try to answer your questions, if any, tomorrow. 

When doing the command as you mention, mine show as

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="EFI" UUID="67E3-17ED" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="e9659aea-0631-4d6e-94c7-890575c57a84"

After, adding UUID to Grub Customize (see picture below) then on terminal, I type

sudo update-grub

I didn't see Mac when doing the update-grub.

Then I reboot.  It show Mac on the screen but when clicking on it, it shows

error: no such device: 67E3-17ED.

error: file '/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI' not found.

Press any key to continue..

28tmhj.jpg

1zlbrth.jpg

2yl4snp.jpg

rvg6kp.jpg

After reboot and when selecting Mac, this is what it shows.

xmikg4.jpg

Sata connection in MB

P1 = Samsung 1TB (Windows)

P2 = Samsung 500Gb (MacOS)

P4 = Crucial 275Gb (Ubuntu)

I didn't see Mac when doing the update-grub.

Hello again. A bit strange, but if entry is available so it worked properly. Also, grub customizer by itself updates grub config. And I have no idea why it doesn't work. After a bit of searching, I thing you could try to edit Sierra entry with 

menuentry "macOS Sierra (Clover)" {
    insmod hfsplus
    search --set=root --file /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
    chainloader /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
}

This method above worked for genuine macs with Ubuntu on board. Probably nothing more that I can do now. It's strange to me that UUID of EFI partition is same as mine. And still not working.

Hello again. A bit strange, but if entry is available so it worked properly. Also, grub customizer by itself updates grub config. And I have no idea why it doesn't work. After a bit of searching, I thing you could try to edit Sierra entry with 

insmod hfsplus
}

This method above worked for genuine macs with Ubuntu on board. Probably nothing more that I can do now. It's strange to me that UUID of EFI partition is same as mine. And still not working.

Thank you for guiding me.  I will try after work. 

So, replace this

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 67E3-17ED

chainloader (${root})/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

With this

insmod hfsplus

}

One thing I see in Grub Customize was, if I drop down "Type" and select "Chainloader", I saw all my drive.  Selecting EFI from chainloader still not working.

I will try to fresh install Ubuntu and Mac again.  Maybe I did something wrong in Mac because I notice when I update clover to latest , my Windows disappear from Clover menu selection.

Guest ricoc90

Try something like this. Just make sure the root is correct (harddisk number, partition number)

insmod hfsplus
set root=(hdX,Y)
multiboot /boot
}

If you are using the GUID partition table:

insmod hfsplus
insmod part_gpt
set root=(hdX,gptY)
multiboot /boot
}

That's how I did it when I was dual-booting macOS and Linux Mint. 

Hi,

I try use Chainloader from selected menu (see pic) and still Ubuntu wasn't able to boot MacOSx.

How do I get the harddisk number and partition number in Ubuntu terminal for MacOSx hdd?

How do I get number for (hdX,Y) or (hdX,gptY)?

2199iyq.jpg

insmod hfsplus
search
--set=root --file /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
chainloader
/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
}

Above quote also not working.

Guest ricoc90

Based on your picture I'd say it's 1,1.

So then it'd be 

insmod hfsplus
insmod part_gpt
set root=(hd1,gpt1)
multiboot /boot
}

Assuming that your boot file is in your EFI partition. But that's a matter of trying

When you say, "Assuming that your boot file is in your EFI partition".  On MacOS terminal, when I do "diskutil list"  Sometime I saw EFI in disk0s1 and sometime it's listed as disk1s1.  I'm not sure why it changes.  Is this normal?

Maybe there's something wrong with either my bios setting or Clover Bootloader selection.

My Bios setup: everything else default
Enabled C3,C6,C1E, C Package, xHCI & EHCI Hand-off
Disabled Intel Virt Tech
Enabled AHCI, PCIe
In Boot submenu, I enabled both UEFi & Legacy

When I did a clean Sierra installation, these are my selection for Clover bootloader.

- install as ESP

- boot0af in MBR

- CloverEFI 64bit SATA

- Driver64UEFI  --> OsxAptioFixDrv64 and --> PartitionDxe64

In Windows 7, when I run msinfo32, my bios didn't tell me if it's UEFI or Legacy under Bios Mode. Weird was there's no Bios Mode.  Anyway, I have no problem showing Windows 7 in Ubuntu.

Guest ricoc90

Yeah, It might change depending on your boot order.

Based on your picture, your OS X's EFI partition is on sdb1,
which would translate to hd1,1
sda1 would be hd0,1 et cetera.

insmod part_gpt
  set root=(hd1,gpt1)
  multiboot /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
}

You need to point Grub2 to Clover's bootfile.

It say hd1,gpt1 not found.

I check my bios by going to C:\Windows\Panther and setupact.log show as BIOS = Legacy.  Just odd that "msinfo32" does not show my bios mode.  My board is both Legacy and UEFI.  After google, I think a few bios setting was incorrect. I suppose to disable secure boot, windows feature should be "Other OS" and a few other I need to review in Bios setting.

I will do clean install all 3 drive again using UEFI method. I will report back when I done.  Thank you very much for taking the time to guide me.

Nice. All UEFI?

Yes. All UEFI.

Using Rufus as GPT partition scheme and FAT32 for both Windows and Ubuntu.  For Windows, after Rufus created bootable usb, make sure you copy all files from \efi\microsoft\boot to \efi\boot

• 2 years later...

I know that this is an old thread, but I am in a very similar situation, and I was trying to find a way to boot all three OSes. I tried the above suggestions and none worked. Seems that grub can find BOOTX64.efi file, but doesn't boot because of "Invalid signature error", which seems that has to do with the secure boot. I also tried to add linux entry in clover, but after a lot of tries  with different info I found, I never managed to make Clover see this entry.

So, after I found a nice tutorial here about EasyBCD, I managed to have a way to boot to all three from grub. Using that tutorial I created an entry to Clover in windows' s bootloader menu and after I updated grub, I can boot to Clover and MacOS from windows bootloader, which run when I select the "Windows" entry in grub menu.

This is the only way I found, so far, to have access to all 3 OSes.

So, I post it here in case that is helpful for someone in a similar situation.