Jump to content

393 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

GC-Titan Ridge - Further Confirmations
 
In the meanwhile, I also successfully verified GC-Titan Ridge + ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe + SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml +TB HotPlug TB + TB USB-C HotPlug under macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
 
I also successfully verified the GC-Titan Ridge DisplayPort 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.4 HotPlug functionality 
 
image.png.494136e19ea7086c837c9b9bd37c23ed.png
 
image.png.c11dd9e0a754b89c19a642e2b4b2e2a0.png
 
as well as the Kanex Premium USB-C -> HDMI 4K Adapter and  Kanex Premium USB-C -> HDMI 4K Adapter HotPlug functionality.
 
image.png.23fddc9e2353435de5689d941e01f33b.png
 
image.thumb.png.634288dbcaf0059c0fff6b42d0f52a47.png
 
kgp.png.dc73ab39b1d9a5f7a794e1ea9aa8d900.png
 
Edited by KGP-iMacPro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Posted elsewhere, but provided here for the sense of completeness......

 

The IOREG file from my computer after re-installing the Titan Ridge TB card. Also included are some screen shots, and a copy of my config.plist (minus the stuff in SMBIOS), (all of which is provided elsewhere, but not on this post).


My motherboard hardware is virtually identical to yours. As I have a 7940x, some differences can be noted, but they are minor. My bios is the iMac Pro modded 1503. My TB configuration in the bios is identical to what you've posted on the first post here. My TB hardware is a GTC TB enabled external disk and the Apple OEM TB 3 to TB 2 cable. The TTR card and the Asus TB EX3 card were both installed in slot 16_3, and no settings in the bios were changed for either card. Also note that for the TTR card, I had all three cables connected (the additional power cables, the THB_C cable and the USB 2 cable).

Bottom line: Sadly, for me, the Hot Plug did NOT work in the macOS. To make sure it was not a hardware issue, I tried it in Windows. With the TB EX3 card in Windows numerous times, I disconnected the TB drive and reconnected it, and it worked. With the TTR card, I got sporadic results, it would connect, and then other times it wouldn't. Some times it would show the drive was connected when it was not.

But this is not about Windows. In macOS (and I am running 10.14.0), the TTR card was also erratic. It negatively affected my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 card, and it would start to spin wildly, until I applied the old usual fix of running an MP4 file in the background. If I didn't connect the TB drive before startup, it would not connect and mount at all. So, all in all, it had some negatives and it didn't seem to be any different than the Asus TB EX3 card in terms of loading and mounting my TB drive. In both cases, the appropriate .AML files were loaded for the cards.

Don't know what to say about this. I respect that for you, kgp, it worked. Maybe its a bios issue and I'm happy to send you a text file of mine, but I tend to think that it's the card itself that may be the issue. Some odd firmware revision or modification on the TTR cards we get in the US that you didn't get there. Not sure about that, of course.

I, as all of us who follow you, do appreciate all the hard work you have put in on this thread and the builds you've made possible. I do wish I had better results to report, but I can't. Too bad....

Edited by meaganmargaret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Posted elsewhere, but provided here for the sense of completeness......

 

The IOREG file from my computer after re-installing the Titan Ridge TB card. Also included are some screen shots, and a copy of my config.plist (minus the stuff in SMBIOS), (all of which is provided elsewhere, but not on this post).


My motherboard hardware is virtually identical to yours. As I have a 7940x, some differences can be noted, but they are minor. My bios is the iMac Pro modded 1503. My TB configuration in the bios is identical to what you've posted on the first post here. My TB hardware is a GTC TB enabled external disk and the Apple OEM TB 3 to TB 2 cable. The TTR card and the Asus TB EX3 card were both installed in slot 16_3, and no settings in the bios were changed for either card. Also note that for the TTR card, I had all three cables connected (the additional power cables, the THB_C cable and the USB 2 cable).

Bottom line: Sadly, for me, the Hot Plug did NOT work in the macOS. To make sure it was not a hardware issue, I tried it in Windows. With the TB EX3 card in Windows numerous times, I disconnected the TB drive and reconnected it, and it worked. With the TTR card, I got sporadic results, it would connect, and then other times it wouldn't. Some times it would show the drive was connected when it was not.

But this is not about Windows. In macOS (and I am running 10.14.0), the TTR card was also erratic. It negatively affected my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 card, and it would start to spin wildly, until I applied the old usual fix of running an MP4 file in the background. If I didn't connect the TB drive before startup, it would not connect and mount at all. So, all in all, it had some negatives and it didn't seem to be any different than the Asus TB EX3 card in terms of loading and mounting my TB drive. In both cases, the appropriate .AML files were loaded for the cards.

Don't know what to say about this. I respect that for you, kgp, it worked. Maybe its a bios issue and I'm happy to send you a text file of mine, but I tend to think that it's the card itself that may be the issue. Some odd firmware revision or modification on the TTR cards we get in the US that you didn't get there. Not sure about that, of course.

I, as all of us who follow you, do appreciate all the hard work you have put in on this thread and the builds you've made possible. I do wish I had better results to report, but I can't. Too bad....

 

Your TTR should work solid at least under Windows.. if it does not, you might have a severe problem to be fixed anyway.. Following recent news somewhere else, you now seem also to be the only one left (out of 3 people currently using the GC-Titan Ridge on their macOS systems) with non-functional TB HotPlug under macOS.  

 

Let me check your BIOS settings and EFI-Folder and come back to you in case I find something suspicious that prevents the proper function of the GC-Titan Ridge even under Windows. 

 

Yet we have to learn und understand the proper function and behaviour of our GC-Titan Ridge on our systems, which requires a lot of patience, positivism and experimenting.. :wink_anim:

 

Don't forget that we are kind of pioneers in this new endeavour and nothing works the first day without solving remains issues. :sorcerer:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as I've said elsewhere:

 

i think its appropriate to comment on your real experience with a given new peripheral. I see nothing wrong with you publishing your results, and I've said I believe them. An open discussion is really the only way to determine what the issues are with the card, if there are any. I just think I personally would prefer to wait a bit, but that should not affect anyone else's decision and I applaud your and their endeavors in this effort.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point and after reading issues with GC-Titan Ridge I will stay with my Asus TB EX3 :

- hot plug through USB_C connected in my screen works perfectly 

- hot plug on USB 3,1 type A works perfectly

( it's not a legend :) even if implementation of IOThunderboltController is not fully achieved on IOREG )

 

I may be buying an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 because it offers a second USB C port for my future LG 4K display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Loloflat6 said:

At this point and after reading issues with GC-Titan Ridge I will stay with my Asus TB EX3 :

- hot plug through USB_C connected in my screen works perfectly 

- hot plug on USB 3,1 type A works perfectly

( it's not a legend :) even if implementation of IOThunderboltController is not fully achieved on IOREG )

 

I may be buying an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 because it offers a second USB C port for my future LG 4K display.

 

That my GC-Titan Ridge also works flawless including TB HotPlug und USB-C HotPlug even with THB-C connected is also not a legend that I distributed for fun. Sad that some people are not able to set their things as required and moreover scare others with their comments.

 

Anyway, everybody's decision with what to go for..  :wink_anim:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

 

That my GC-Titan Ridge also works flawless including TB HotPlug und USB-C HotPlug even with THB-C connected is also not a legend that I distributed for fun. Sad that some people are not able to set their things as required and moreover scare others with their comments.

 

Anyway, everybody's decision with what to go for..  :wink_anim:

 

 

 

Humor is not excluded and you know that...:)

Yes of course I know that in your build it works flawless and I will wait for other perfect achievement on others builds. :yes:

Edited by Loloflat6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, I just can't seem to get hotplug to work.  I've made some progress with the SSDT - although, to be honest, I'm not real familiar with what I'm doing while editing it.  It came from a base I found, which I've attempted to modify to get it to work.

 

I've managed to get the Focusrite to show up under PCI devices, so I think that's a step in the right direction.  Just missing this last piece of the puzzle.   I do have the cable connected on my Alpine Ridge.  It doesn't seem to work well without it.

 

Anyone have any ideas on how to get hotplug working properly on this config?  Thanks!

Focusrite Discovered.png

IOJones.png

John’s iMac.iojones

SSDT-TB3.aml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Important Notification for all GC-Titan Ridge Users
 
Seems that it is pretty the same which TB BIOS settings you choose.
 
But there is one fundamental setting tough: 
 
Without "GPIO3 Force Pwr / ON"  the GC-Titan Ridge won't work !!
 
Below my actual TB BIOS settings:
 
TBT Root por Selector                               PCIE16_3
Thunderbolt USB Support                             Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support                            Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices)                   Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size                128
GPIO3 Force Pwr                                     ON
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr            200
Skip PCI OptionRom                                  Enabled
Security Level                                      SL0-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot                            32
Reserve P mem per phy slot                          32
Reserve IO per phy slot                             20
Delay before SX Exit                                300
GPIO Filter                                         Enabled
Enable CLK REQ                                      Disabled
Enable ASPM                                         Disabled
Enable LTR                                          Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved                                  65
Reserved Memory                                     386
Memory Alignment                                    26
Reserved PMemory                                    960
PMemory Alignment                                   28
Reserved I/O                                        0
Alpine Ridge XHCI WA                                Disabled

 

Everything works now flawless except wake from sleep with TB or USB-C devices connected. If I eject all TB and USB-C devices before sleep, the system will also wake from sleep without any issues. Subsequently I can once more hotplug all TB and USB-C devices. 
 
Thus, the remaining issue to be solved is to make the system wake from sleep with TB and USB-C devices connected.
 
In case that one plays with the TB BIOS settings and by chance selects a BIOS setting that drops the GC-Titan Ridge functionality under macOS, the GC-Titan Ridge must be once more reinitialised under Windows with correct BIOS settings before its further use under macOS! For the proper windows initialisation connect TB/USB-C devices to both TB3/USB-C ports of the adapter. 
 
EDIT and UPDATE: 
 
Further testing revealed that "GPIO3 Force Pwr / Off" is also valid but the GC-Titan Ridge must be reinitialised under Windows in this case. None of all possible TB BIOS settings seems to remove the Black Screen issue on wake with TB or USB-C devices connected.  
Edited by KGP-iMacPro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 11:36 PM, meaganmargaret said:

The drive works if I connect at boot (as it always has), but no hot plug.....:crazy:. Lets be clear about what I mean by hot plug: the ability to unmount a drive, physically disconnect it from the system and reconnect it at another time, and have it come up and mount or at least be mountable. Another version of what I call hot plug would be to connect the drive after booting and then have the drive up and mounted.  This is what I had when I owned a iMac (2012), and so in my view, that's what hot plug should mean.

This is better than what I experienced. Windows would only see the TB3 card from time to time and even more rarely see if something was attached to it or not.

 

However, with Tb3 disabled in the BIOS and THB_C disconnected, the card would always be recognised and showing what devices were connected, including hotplug working.

 

The attached devices however would be non functional.

 

Edit: macos would always see the TB3 card, as well as the XHCI interface, even with TB3 enabled in the BIOS and THB_C cable connected. However, none of the attached device would work either, and no hotplug 

Edited by jya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, my current setup is a Z370 Gaming 7 system running an GC-Alpine Ridge card, is it worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge? In addition, is it possible for me to gain hot plug functionality? I currently have to boot into windows 10 first with my devices already on, and then restart into OSX for any of my thunderbolt devices (specifically my UA Apollo Interface) to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, imgarrett said:

Hello, my current setup is a Z370 Gaming 7 system running an GC-Alpine Ridge card, is it worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge? In addition, is it possible for me to gain hot plug functionality? I currently have to boot into windows 10 first with my devices already on, and then restart into OSX for any of my thunderbolt devices (specifically my UA Apollo Interface) to work.

 

Guess you will have to figure this out by yourself. In my case (X299), it was definitely worth the upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

GC-Titan Ridge 40GB/S Intel Thunderbolt 3 Certified Add-in Card fully functional under macOS! 

 

GC-Titan Ridge working OoB under macOS 10.14 Mojave with SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml and SSDT-X99-TB3HP-TTR.aml :superman:

 

 

 

 

Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig and exact as KGP point out in earlier posts using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card.:graduated:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, obus said:

Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig and exact as KGP point out in earlier posts using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card.:graduated:

 

 

 

Cool, many thanks for this important confirmation!  :thumbsup_anim:

 

Let’s see if we are able to remove the last issue of a black screen on wake with TB or USB-C drives connected to the GC-Titan Ridge :wink_anim:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tony Arnold said:

Got my Titan Ridge AIO card and installed it without issue in an X299 system today. Works as described by @KGP-iMacPro (although for the first time, I can see the on-board USB-C interface with my LG 5K display connected).

 

:thumbsup_anim:.. also the LG 34WK95U-W works without issues? :drool:

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, no, I have the LG 5K Ultrafine (the dud that Apple sold when it retired the Cinema Displays). It works fine, so long as you don't disconnect and reconnect it. If you do that, the internal ThunderBolt hub in the monitor doesn't come back up and you lose brightness/volume controls, and the attached USB hubs. 

 

Same old, same old, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 1:39 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

  

Guess you will have to figure this out by yourself. In my case (X299), it was definitely worth the upgrade. 

upgrade? So were you on a z370 system before? also, is there not a hot plug not fix available to me then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, imgarrett said:

upgrade? So were you on a z370 system before? also, is there not a hot plug not fix available to me then?

 

well you asked  if it is worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge, right? I answered. I can only confirm the function of the GC-Titan Ridge for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. Whether or no it behaves the same way on z370 you will have to figure out yourself. You will be able to use SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml after adopting ACPI path and ACPI replacements inside the SSDT, if necessary. 

 

Clear enough? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 4:25 PM, imgarrett said:

Hello, my current setup is a Z370 Gaming 7 system running an GC-Alpine Ridge card, is it worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge? In addition, is it possible for me to gain hot plug functionality? I currently have to boot into windows 10 first with my devices already on, and then restart into OSX for any of my thunderbolt devices (specifically my UA Apollo Interface) to work.

 

I too was curious if my Z370 Gaming 7 would support the Titan Ridge card.   However, my understanding of it was that the z370 only supported the Alpine Ridge and not the Titan Ridge card, and that the x299 was required to support the Titan Ridge chipset?   Maybe I'm incorrect in this assumption?   I'm definitely curious to know if it works on this motherboard or not.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Haive_Music said:

 

I too was curious if my Z370 Gaming 7 would support the Titan Ridge card.   However, my understanding of it was that the z370 only supported the Alpine Ridge and not the Titan Ridge card, and that the x299 was required to support the Titan Ridge chipset?   Maybe I'm incorrect in this assumption?   I'm definitely curious to know if it works on this motherboard or not.

 

 

 

In fact the GC-Titan Ridge is also not supposed to be compatible with X299, following the compatibly statements of Gigabyte:

The GC-TITAN RIDGE is compatible with GIGABYTE motherboards of that include a Thunderbolt™ header on below:
Intel platform: H370/B360-series

* Supported status may vary depending on motherboard specifications.

But like the  GC-Alpine Ridge, it also seems to work with chipsets and and brands different than H370/B360 and Gigabyte. 

Thus you have to check yourself if the GC-Alpine Ridge would work with Z370 as it also works with X299. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

 

In fact the GC-Titan Ridge is also not supposed to be compatible with X299, following the compatibly statements of Gigabyte:


The GC-TITAN RIDGE is compatible with GIGABYTE motherboards of that include a Thunderbolt™ header on below:
Intel platform: H370/B360-series

* Supported status may vary depending on motherboard specifications.

But like the  GC-Alpine Ridge, it also seems to work with chipsets and and brands different than H370/B360 and Gigabyte. 

Thus you have to check yourself if the GC-Alpine Ridge would work with Z370 as it also works with X299. 

 

Hmmm... very interesting.  I didn't realize that (and, more-so, that I had my supported chipsets mixed up).   I very well may have to give this Titan Ridge card a shot on the Z370 and report back.  It would be nice to see if I can get hotplug working with it, since...so far, I've been unsuccessful in my attempts with the Z370 and the Alpine Ridge :(

 

* Edit - Just ordered up a Titan Ridge card to try.  Hopefully it works, fixes hotplug, and also works under Windows.  Will report back with further details when it comes.

Edited by Haive_Music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No dice on getting the Titan Ridge to work on my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard.  It isn't detected at all under Bios.

 

Sad.  I had high hopes to finally get hotplug working.  Really wish I could get it working on my Alpine Ridge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Haive_Music said:

No dice on getting the Titan Ridge to work on my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard.  It isn't detected at all under Bios.

 

Sad.  I had high hopes to finally get hotplug working.  Really wish I could get it working on my Alpine Ridge.

 

 

Did you install the attached drivers under windows and properly initialise the GC-Titan Ridge before configuring the BIOS?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Haive_Music said:

No dice on getting the Titan Ridge to work on my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard.  It isn't detected at all under Bios.

 

Sad.  I had high hopes to finally get hotplug working.  Really wish I could get it working on my Alpine Ridge.

 

Did you try with an Alpine Ridge card?

 

The Aorus Gaming 7 is the only motherboard I played with that gave me out of the box hotplug capabilities and full USB-C support (I tested with both the Asus TBEX3 and ASRock TB3 card). All I needed was the SSDT that added the two PCI properties.

 

So I'm surprised it wouldn't work for you.

 

4 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

 

Did you install the attached drivers under windows and properly initialise the GC-Titan Ridge before configuring the BIOS?  

The GB board doesn't show the thunderbolt option in the BIOS unless the card is plugged in and connected using the THB_C header.

I'm guessing the BIOS disable the Thunderbolt option with the Titan Ridge.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×