formatting a macbook.....and only installing XP

Nameless4ever

10 posts in this topic

sorry for the strange question but I bought my girlfriend a macbook and now she wants XP on it. The only real problem with the mac for her is the lack of an arabic localization so until that arrives she's sticking with windows. Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to format the HD and install windows directly then use bootcamp's driver cd?

Thanks in advance!!

well she already has a boot camp setup running....I sadly had too much confidence in that Mac OSX will sway her away so I've only set XP to 7GB....anyway I did update the firmware then so it should be okay, right? newer versions of Boot Camp don't require newer firmware, correct? Thanks again!!

I'm afraid it's not that simple. She's in a different state for college and they don't even have an Apple center there. It's a four-hour trip by airplane. That's why I need a confirmation in wether this will work or not. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to take the trip.

There shouldn't be any problems with the components since thery're all standard. I think the point of doupt is the EFI bios. If only I had a mac so I can walk her through it 8) I've been waiting for an excuse to go mac for a long time and I've been stopping myself since I just traded my tablet pc for a 2GHz dual core dell. Maybe I'll pick up the mini afterall.

Okay, enough day dreaming. please help!!

just install mac drive and you'll have full access to mac partition from XP.

7gb is more then enough for XP with all programs..

data storage will be on mac partition.

this is the easest way for you to go, because as i see you are not an advanced user.... and with other ways you'll find more questions in future...

p.s.

you are crazy man.

better try to learn english your GF... =))

i'm not very good in english too, but i have all components in english.. and i like it much more then my local language windoze, which i uninstall over a year ago.. .... ... .. . . .. . .. .

Yes as long as the MacBook has the latest firmware then you can install only XP and use the Bootcamp Drivers (I've done it a few times in testing). The machine can boot off an XP disc and when it asks where to install it to wipe the hard drive and create a new partition. The EFI is hardware based so you don't need to worry when wiping the EFI partition. Of course as always be aware you are erasing OSX off the machine and you'll have to erase windows to reinstall OSX down the road if you decide to.

Oh and to boot off the CD she will need to hold down the C button when turning on the PC. I'm not sure the macs auto boot off the CDs otherwise.

Ok, Airman. Any way to do this on an Intel iMac 17" (Gen1) using an XP Pro w/SP2 Retail Upgrade disk, various Generic OEM versions of Windows 98, XP, etc. and a Windows keyboard?

I do have an USB 2.0 Flash Drive, if necessary. Also a Mac-only Microsoft keyboard which has a hardware cd eject key (any way to get the XP Pro installer to recognise this key?).

See my other post dated 9 NOV, 2006 (PST).

----------------------

By the way, the XP install disk autoboots just fine if OS X and EFI partitions are not on HD. Vista RC2 OR XP will install this way. (Or for that matter, almost ANY Intel-based OS. Of course, the OS to be installed must have Apple compatible hardware drivers. The latest firmware updates make it possible for BIOS-based OSes to boot and install normall -- Automagically, I am sure. Ain't Apple great?)

Otherwise, she can use either your method, or the Apple Remote to set boot disk from Apple Boot Menu. To use Apple Remote, press Menu when boot music starts, hold until Apple Bootloader starts, then use left-right arrows to move between disks, then use "select" to select the desired disk.

I strongly advise she erase all Mac volumes on Disk before attempting to install Windows as exclusive OS. The disk must be clean as a whistle when starting Windows installer, especially if she is installing Vista.

The disk format type must NOT be "GPT", in order to install Windows.