Ryzen Kernel

twf1985

10 posts in this topic

I've been trying to follow the progress on the current Ryzen kernel being developed by Bronya and Co, and I keep seeing people say that it's "not working" for FX processors.

This is very, very confusing to me. The two architectures are so different from one another, why would anyone expect the same kernel to work on them both? I surprised some people are having success at all, given things like the SenseMI tech, so it seems to me that trying to get one kernel to work on non-Ryzen systems is counterproductive.

I have a feeling I'm just not understanding something basic, and rather than post (again) in the development thread, I hoped someone would take pity on me and answer here. Thank you in advance for reading/replying.

Well maybe people are confused since the Legacy Kernel supported multiple AMD architectures, as well as Pentium ones. On the other hand, perhaps these people are just testing because science.

• Like 1

Okay, I can appreciate both of those perspectives.. Yet, it sounds as if Bronya is making adjustments to the kernel as he goes along to account for the FX processors.

Wouldn't it be better to get the kernel fully optimized for Ryzen, and then make allowances/adjustments for legacy CPUs?

The wheel is not reinvented every time and the designer modifies something here and there so that it will be compatible with the new challenges.
The same happens with the kernel. a good coder is interested in modifying this modification with one kernel (as far as possible) for the most popular CPUs on the market.

Shouldn't the AMD project be forked in two at this point? I get what you're saying, but Ryzen is a totally new architecture.

For years, AMD didn't make any major advancements, so I can see why Hackintosh kernel developers would have followed what you're saying. We're past that now with Ryzen, so there should be a pre-Ryzen AMD kernel and a post-Ryzen kernel. They shouldn't be one in the same. That's asking WAY too much of people like Bronya, and it will invariably impact user experience on both ends of the spectrum.

Which is exactly what we're seeing now, with users of chips like the A10 or the FX-6300 reporting issues with the kernel that Bronya seemed to be developing for Ryzen.

Which is why I am so confused.

• Like 2

Shouldn't the AMD project be forked in two at this point? I get what you're saying, but Ryzen is a totally new architecture.

For years, AMD didn't make any major advancements, so I can see why Hackintosh kernel developers would have followed what you're saying. We're past that now with Ryzen, so there should be a pre-Ryzen AMD kernel and a post-Ryzen kernel. They shouldn't be one in the same. That's asking WAY too much of people like Bronya, and it will invariably impact user experience on both ends of the spectrum.

Which is exactly what we're seeing now, with users of chips like the A10 or the FX-6300 reporting issues with the kernel that Bronya seemed to be developing for Ryzen.

Which is why I am so confused.

You are very sincerely invited to make changes, to built a special kernel only for ryzen cpus and we would support you, If it is possible for us to help

You are very sincerely invited to make changes, to built a special kernel only for ryzen cpus and we would support you, If it is possible for us to help

Had a feeling you might say something like that..

For my purposes, I would only want to install macOS inside a virtual machine. What are the steps to take what people are using now and convert it into something people can install in something like VMWare?

EDIT: I don't mean specifically (although I wouldn't mind that) what steps, more a general, "You would need to a, b, and then c" kind of a thing. I don't even know why there has to be a special build for VM-installs, but that has been my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I have a 2011 Macbook Pro running Yosemite (I tried all instances of OS X since, and Yosemite was the last OS X I liked using, I'm hoping since it's pretty old it'll have more support to run it on my current setup) and I love it to death. The only problem with it is the GPU issue. I've had to replace it two times already and since the extended warranty is gone and I'm in the middle of university, I have no cash to buy a new Macbook Pro. (Jesus, it's 2.5k for the 'decent' model?!) 

Beginning of this year my home server was dying so I opted to go full out (on my budget) and get a Dell R710 server with dual x5650 CPU's and 64GB of ram. I run ESXi 6.0 on it to house all my VM's for experimenting. I also bought a ThinkPad x220 as a small little laptop to carry around rather than my Macbook. It's working out beautifully with Linux and Windows, but I still miss OS X. It's the little things that I love about using OS X as a daily driver.

That being said, I bought my x220 knowing it could be turned into a hackintosh, so that's one of my plans, I want to dual (triple?) boot into OS X on my x220. 

After a bit of searching, apparently there's a way to run OS X on my server running ESXi 6.0 so I want to run an instance of OS X on my server. I already have a VPN running to punch through my school's firewalls. I want to be able to remote into the OSX VM from anywhere with an internet connection. I won't need much resources on a laptop anymore!

Hey there, I have a 2011 Macbook Pro running Yosemite (I tried all instances of OS X since, and Yosemite was the last OS X I liked using, I'm hoping since it's pretty old it'll have more support to run it on my current setup) and I love it to death. The only problem with it is the GPU issue. I've had to replace it two times already and since the extended warranty is gone and I'm in the middle of university, I have no cash to buy a new Macbook Pro. (Jesus, it's 2.5k for the 'decent' model?!) 

Beginning of this year my home server was dying so I opted to go full out (on my budget) and get a Dell R710 server with dual x5650 CPU's and 64GB of ram. I run ESXi 6.0 on it to house all my VM's for experimenting. I also bought a ThinkPad x220 as a small little laptop to carry around rather than my Macbook. It's working out beautifully with Linux and Windows, but I still miss OS X. It's the little things that I love about using OS X as a daily driver.

That being said, I bought my x220 knowing it could be turned into a hackintosh, so that's one of my plans, I want to dual (triple?) boot into OS X on my x220. 

After a bit of searching, apparently there's a way to run OS X on my server running ESXi 6.0 so I want to run an instance of OS X on my server. I already have a VPN running to punch through my school's firewalls. I want to be able to remote into the OSX VM from anywhere with an internet connection. I won't need much resources on a laptop anymore!

Sorry, but u are here in a wrong thread with their concern, here we discussed only the core question whether should build only one Kernel for all CPUs ( also Intel+AMD (FX and older AMD CPUs and AMD Ryzen CPUs) or it is better to build for each CPU a own kernel, and no more or less.