Donw35

High Sierra or Mojave on HP 800 G1 USDT,SFF and tower PC's, 10.14

89 posts in this topic

I think the HP 800 G1 make good Hackintosh but I wouldn't spend allot of money on it, starting to get a little long in the tooth. My main system in the SIG, I get dual 4k @60hz using the RX 580

Advertisement

Its good indeed with a SFF/USDT model, but things get GREAT with the TWR model. To compare price-wise: a entire HP 800 G1 rig with i7-4470, 8-16GB RAM, HDD costs as much as an i7-6700K CPU (without anything else). You can call me crazy, but I rather upgrade the DDR3 RAM to 32GB, setup a RAID0 SSD (or maybe get a new M.2 PCIe) and get an used RX 570-580 and still save money compared to a newer and only marginely faster build. IF only ... and I think I've just found a solution for my HP's 320W power limitation which might still make my 'ultimate hackintosh build on a tight budget'-dream come true!

1. PSU replacement (for which a conversion connector is required; as HP doesn't use BTX power connector standards). Please watch these vids:

Spoiler

Time to order a "HP Elite 8100 8200 8300 PSU Adapter Pin Order Z220 Z230 ATX 24-pin to 6-pin AYA-24PF-6PM-HP" for less than $15 at Amazon or AliXpress. Prefer the DIY method (2nd video above); then a "4A XL6009E1 Adjustable DC-DC Step Up Boost"  takes care of the required ATX's 5V to HPs 12V for the standby signal. 

UPDATE 17-NOV; there are other solutions too!

2.  To power the RX GPU through a 2nd PSU, like paperclip mod on a left-over ATX PSU or the fanless DELL DA-2 external 220W PSU. RX570 under high load sometimes requires 220-240W. GPU biosmods for undervolting should take care of that problem (also for RX580 or the new RX590). Additional benefit of using a DA-2 is the HP case doesn't have to be modded with additional mounting holes to keep a replacement PSU in place. Neither get any PSU converters like in the prior option. Plus this option is also great for HP SFF users; only a PCIe riser is required.

3. with prior riser in mind and have a bigger hobby budget? Get a PCIe card with Thunderbolt and visit https://egpu.io for an overview of proper eGPU case examples. 

Got my mindset on door number 2 at the moment.  And apologies for going slightly off-topic. Will share some benchmarks when all is finished; to make up for it ;) Plus the bootpack too unless somebody else beats me to it.

Edited by rhyker2u
rewrote the whole post

Nice guide!

Just picked up some HP Elitedesk 800 G1 computers with i5 4590 cpu.

What is the best bios settings?

and is it possible to make a usb stick with Mojave and clover instead of installing Mojave on a harddrive on an real Mac? My MacBook Pro 2010 can not install Mojave..... 

Edited by sest1000

do an update to the bios and make sure SATA is set to AHCI, turn off network and USB wake up sleep.

there are guides how to make the installer using your current Mac Book.

Do you mean dosdude Mojave patcher?

Anyway my computer works very well now with High Sierra. Everything works including sleep. Thanks for the help and your file upload.

Thinking of upgrading the gpu. Is gt1030 the best one to go with?

I have a GT1050 for mine but until the Nvidia drivers come out I am using built in, wait on that one or stay on HS, in that case that card will work great.

I am using USBInjectAll.kext and have USB 3.0 working, note: only the the back USB 3.0 lower port is working, I have not built an SSDT for it.

from existing hackintosh: installed mojave to ssd using movaje patcher installer.. seemed to install correctly as a vanilla install.. installed clover 2.4 r4784 on ssd with settings on original page 1 post...was able to use clover configurator to mount the ssd mojave partition EFI and replaced the clover folder from.one from.the original post attachment.. when i boot to the ssd clover doesnt recognize the macosx mojave partition... when i use the clover from my original hackintoch build, it recognizes the mojave partition on ssd but cant boot it properly (circle with line through it).. any help or any clarification needed ill try to explain better.. thanks in advance for any help

Edited by theguy316

Hi Guys!

I have an Elitedesk 800 G1 with i5-4590, 4gb ram (to get it running) and 250GB SSD.

First timer, so no clue what i'm doing.

I can get into clover, but now what? I get 4 options, resulting in either a reboot to the clover startscreen or a white stop sign which forced me to power off the machine and restart.

What is this idiot doing wrong?

send the EFI folder and lets have a look

Hi there,

after following different guides i was able to install high sierra into my 800 G1 SFF with Nvidia 1050ti. directly to my harddrive without using real mac.

everything working great. except when computer wakes up from sleep most times it freezes.

Now i would like to update to mojave so i can get the night time mode. (easy on the eyes).

can i update from app store, or even just create a new usb installer and use my current efi folder from High sierra ?

Thanks guys for your knowledge.

you will need to create Mojave USB installer. Your Nvidia 1050ti will not work in Mojave though, you will need to use the built in video as I am doing.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, Donw35 said:

send the EFI folder and lets have a look

Hi Down 35!

Thanks for the quick response! I have neglected the Hackintosh project last week, so I haven't had the time to get back to you.

I Have zipped the EFI folder and attached it. Hope you can help me get this sorted out!

Many many thanks in advance!

EFI.zip

Give this one a try, I edited your config.plist and removed some files from drivers64 and drivers64UEFI

EFI.zip

8 minutes ago, Donw35 said:

Give this one a try, I edited your config.plist and removed some files from drivers64 and drivers64UEFI

EFI.zip

Hi Down35!

Again many thanks for the quick help! But:

When i power on the elitedesk it boots into clover giving me these options:

1: Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot

2: Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
3: Boot macOS from Untitled (disk name)
4: Boot recovery from Recovery

All options result in brief showing apple logo then reboot coming back to the exact same clover screen, or the before mentioned stop sign on choosing option 2

number 3 is is your OS and that is probably the one you want. we haven't looked at the bios yet..

do a apply defaults and exit, then get back into bios using F10 at startup

lets make setting or verify that the correct ones are selected

My BIOS version is 02.71

Storage tab - Storage Options - SATA Emulation = AHCI

Security - Master Boot Record Security = Disabled

report back after checking this

In the meantime i have updated the bios, reset default settings:

My BIOS version is now also 02.71

Storage tab - Storage Options - SATA Emulation = AHCI

Security - Master Boot Record Security = Disabled

Still nothing. Keeps rebooting into clover.

what version of Clover are you using, I am using 4813

do a custom install and make sure the following are checked

Clover for UEFI booting only

Install Clover in the ESP

Themes

UEFI Drivers - ApfsDriverLoader-64 and AptioMemoryFix-64

Install RC scripts on target volume

Optional RC scripts

Install Clover Preference Pane

On 12/26/2018 at 8:12 PM, theguy316 said:

from existing hackintosh: installed mojave to ssd using movaje patcher installer.. seemed to install correctly as a vanilla install.. installed clover 2.4 r4784 on ssd with settings on original page 1 post...was able to use clover configurator to mount the ssd mojave partition EFI and replaced the clover folder from.one from.the original post attachment.. when i boot to the ssd clover doesnt recognize the macosx mojave partition... when i use the clover from my original hackintoch build, it recognizes the mojave partition on ssd but cant boot it properly (circle with line through it).. any help or any clarification needed ill try to explain better.. thanks in advance for any help

same here last time I tried. @Donw35 saw mention of a different EFI zip on page 3. Is that working better than the 1 you included in the opening post or the same?

it had some un needed stuff in it and speed steep was not working.

okay ... let me rephrase my actual question: does the efi zip in your opening post always reflect the latest & greatest? 

1 hour ago, Donw35 said:

what version of Clover are you using, I am using 4813

do a custom install and make sure the following are checked

Clover for UEFI booting only

Install Clover in the ESP

Themes

UEFI Drivers - ApfsDriverLoader-64 and AptioMemoryFix-64

Install RC scripts on target volume

Optional RC scripts

Install Clover Preference Pane

It’s alive!!!

No clue what went wrong, but i got frustrated and decided to start from scratch. Did everything exactly the same (at least I think) but used the EFI you sent earlier!

I’m very gratefull for your assisance :-)

Now all i have to figure out is if i’ll add a better GPU (and if so, which GPU). Any recommendations?