Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra on HP 800 G1 USDT,SFF and Tower PC's

Donw35
430 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot :)

Everything is working great now.

Question:

If I was to add a supported Nvidia card instead of using the HD4600 - would I just need to install the Nvidia web driver?

Or is further changes needed in Config.plist or Kexts?

Again - great work and thank you for your time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks that works fine for my i3-4150 HD4400.  I upgraded my existing install from 10.10.5 to 10.13.4 - initially I panicked when Clover didn't find any bootable drives after upgrading but I just needed to install the driver for APFS (apfs.efi) and then it all worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, onastvar said:

Could anyone confirm if above guide is compatible for HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower PC?

Should be fine - I have it working on 800 G1 USDT and SFF - the tower uses pretty much the same motherboard as the SFF.  I also have it working on the HP ProDesk 400 G2 Tower PC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I now have OSX 10.14 Mojave running on my HP 800 G1 USDT.  I had a few issues during the installation.  I first updated Clover and the drivers to the latest version (including APFSLoader and AptioMemoryFix).  I then ran the Mojave installation which took about half an hour.  During the final step I get a Boot 0af error when booting - this was solved by taking out the SSD and re-installing Clover with the option to install on the EFI partition (then copy the config.plist and kexts from the old Clover install) - the drive was changed to APFS and this probably removed the previously working HFS+ boot.

I then had an issue where I would get the Apple logo and the bar would fill slowly to the right and then the screen went blank.  Running in verbose mode showed an issue with a timeout for AppleACPICPU.  I took the SSD out again and copied the latest kext files to the EFI partition - in particular there were new versions of FakeSMC, Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup.  With these changes it now boots into Mojave fine.

Sleep works fine but you will need to reapply the "pmset" fix in the opening post.

Edited by brookheather

Does anyone have a working configuration for the usb 3.0 ports on this machine? This is my first hackintosh and I'm not sure it's even configured properly. Normal USB ports seem to be working but nothing plugged into the blue ports show up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 10:21 AM, Donw35 said:

USB 3.0 working here.  Did you try all blue ports.  

Yes I tried all of them and they are working after a few changes in clover configurator. The device I was hooking up is a usb 3.0 enclosure with the drives configured in JBOD and no matter what I try it will NOT read in MacOS. Windows it reads fine so it must be the partition type it doesn't like. Oh well.

strange, how about trying a USB3.0 flash drive with FAT32 and see the speed that way.

Can you upload your EFI folder minus the serial number and themes ?

Edited by Donw35

• 2 weeks later...

Simple question: is it possible to get 4K / UHD resolution in MacOS on the HD 4600 and if so how?

My troubleshoot:

Spoiler

I got a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR with i7-4770 CPU and HD 4600 (no other GPU) with dual screen 19" 1280x1024 (PS-976D) and AOC 28" model U2879G6. Both connected as DP, the 19" monitor through a DVI adapter. The 28" monitor works great with the supplied config.plist in 1st post, but only at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz. Currently running HS 10.13.6 however had the same issue in 10.14.1 which is: I cannot get 4K / UHD resolution to work properly. Clover version: 4722 with UEFI. Lilu v1.2.8 + WhateverGreen v1.2.4

I'm not a hackintosh expert; bit of a n00b actually, but what I tried & tested thus far (collected through a diversity of suggestions at IM, TM, Reddit, Github):

• FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics + FakePCIID.kext  in kexts/Other as suggested in 2nd post of this forum thread  ... no 4K. Inject intel FakeID (instead of kexts); no 4K
  • Azul patch with hex fiend v2.8 + mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 (coredisplay patch v4) ... unlocks 4K resolution + 60Hz but with problems; Chrome browser shows up blank and the sidebar of Clover configurator becomes transparent and after clicking a few dozen times the right screen of clover shows up or starts blinking like crazy. Selecting any other common resolution including 1080p @ 60Hz with HiDPI gives same problems as 3840x1440. Also tried diversity of the other refresh rates like 21Hz / 24Hz / 25Hz / 30Hz through SwitchRes V4; same undesirable end result but at least 4K resolution works. Safari works flawlessly, disabling GPU acceleration in Chrome and it works too, Clover configuration problem stays. Applied HECI to IMEI patch in config.plist/ACPI which supposedly fixes the prior display problems; no change. Put CsmVideoDxe-64.efi in drivers64UEFI folder; no difference either.
  • rolled back the Azul and Mac-pixel-clock-patch to use -cdfon boot parameter with WhateverGreen which activates the CoreDisplayFixup? result: unable to select 4K.
  • same as prior with Azulpatch through Clover; 4K shows but only 30Hz and again the same display problems.
  • Gone through the whole https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/334899-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen/ thread and made necessary changes + applied config.plist/Devices properties frame-buffer patches (patch-enable, stolenmem, fbmem, unifiedmem) with latest precompiled binaries. Result: no 4K resolution showing up; even though VRAM has gone from 1536 to 2048MB.
  • Used kext installer through Clover which are not the latest versions from Github, but ... no difference; 4K not showing up in switchres.

What else can I try or what am I doing wrong? should I add more whatevergreen Framebuffer patches perhaps and suggestion for which ones? i.e. currently no using device-id and cursormem.

Or is it easier to just get a PCIe GPU? And if so, which one (pertaining the PSU limits); GTX 1050 ?

Edited by rhyker2u
troubleshoot clarifications

I have not been able to boot my HP 800 G1 USDT when connected to my Dell 4K monitor via DisplayPort - it will restart while booting.  If I boot with the DP cable disconnected and then connect the cable it will only display at 2560x1440@60Hz.

You can use a GTX1050 with High Sierra to display 4K but bear in mind there are no Nvidia web drivers for 10.14 Mojave.  If you want to use 10.14 then you would be better off with a supported AMD card.

• Thanks 1

Confirmed, 4k not working with my HP 800 G1 in Mac OS. Tested in with Windows 10 and I get 4k @ 60hz

My SMBIOS is 14,1 for this machine so that may be the problem, will need to choose a SMBIOS with 4k or 5k display.

• Thanks 1

Bummer :( Pertaining my Chrome issues in my troubleshoot above (the 'reveal hidden contents'-part); where I am able to get to 4K @ 60Hz (but with problems) in MacOS. There seems to be a workaround -- without disabling graphics acceleration -- by following these steps at a TM thread :blush:. Which begets the question why clover configurator still acts up after. Or is that because its based on the electron / chromium framework too?

Switching SMBIOS sounds complicated. Is it? Too bad Windows is so prone to malware issues these days. Okay, time to give a Linux flavour a spin for a short term solution as 4K is important to me for more screen estate.

@brookheather: which budget AMD GPU do you recommend for MacOS within the limits of HP 800 G1 Tower PSU specs? As the video cards I know about are no longer for sale in webshops. 

Edited by rhyker2u

There seems to be a workaround for that explained in this 5 minute video: 

Spoiler

Spoiler alert: ;) to get a SATA to 6-pin PCIe power converter for a couple of bucks. Currently am more concerned about how much more time & money I feel like putting into this spontaneous build that seemed like a viable budget Ryzentosh alternative. Might need to get a different PSU cause HP's 320W for the TWR model is not great when RX560-580 has a 60-180W power consumption and meant to add more internal SSD/HDDs. Technical realisation all very much possible, but might have purchased the wrong desktop computer for MacOS (to get 4K + phasing out my HP 2570P laptop for example). Going to weight some other hardware options 1st. Thanks so far for all the testing and guidance! 

Edited by rhyker2u
see page 3 :-p

I think the HP 800 G1 make good Hackintosh but I wouldn't spend allot of money on it, starting to get a little long in the tooth. My main system in the SIG, I get dual 4k @60hz using the RX 580

• Thanks 1

Its good indeed with a SFF/USDT model, but things get GREAT with the TWR model. To compare price-wise: a entire HP 800 G1 rig with i7-4470, 8-16GB RAM, HDD costs as much as an i7-6700K CPU (without anything else). You can call me crazy, but I rather upgrade the DDR3 RAM to 32GB, setup a RAID0 SSD (or maybe get a new M.2 PCIe) and get an used RX 570-580 and still save money compared to a newer and only marginely faster build. IF only ... and I think I've just found a solution for my HP's 320W power limitation which might still make my 'ultimate hackintosh build on a tight budget'-dream come true!

1. PSU replacement (for which a conversion connector is required; as HP doesn't use BTX power connector standards). Please watch these vids:

Spoiler

Time to order a "HP Elite 8100 8200 8300 PSU Adapter Pin Order Z220 Z230 ATX 24-pin to 6-pin AYA-24PF-6PM-HP" for less than $15 at Amazon or AliXpress. Prefer the DIY method (2nd video above); then a "4A XL6009E1 Adjustable DC-DC Step Up Boost"  takes care of the required ATX's 5V to HPs 12V for the standby signal. 

UPDATE 17-NOV; there are other solutions too!

2.  To power the RX GPU through a 2nd PSU, like paperclip mod on a left-over ATX PSU or the fanless DELL DA-2 external 220W PSU. RX570 under high load sometimes requires 220-240W. GPU biosmods for undervolting should take care of that problem (also for RX580 or the new RX590). Additional benefit of using a DA-2 is the HP case doesn't have to be modded with additional mounting holes to keep a replacement PSU in place. Neither get any PSU converters like in the prior option. Plus this option is also great for HP SFF users; only a PCIe riser is required.

3. with prior riser in mind and have a bigger hobby budget? Get a PCIe card with Thunderbolt and visit https://egpu.io for an overview of proper eGPU case examples. 

Got my mindset on door number 2 at the moment.  And apologies for going slightly off-topic. Will share some benchmarks when all is finished; to make up for it ;) Plus the bootpack too unless somebody else beats me to it.

Edited by rhyker2u
rewrote the whole post

• 3 weeks later...

Nice guide!

Just picked up some HP Elitedesk 800 G1 computers with i5 4590 cpu.

What is the best bios settings?

and is it possible to make a usb stick with Mojave and clover instead of installing Mojave on a harddrive on an real Mac? My MacBook Pro 2010 can not install Mojave..... 

Edited by sest1000