Titan from Nov 4 is even better!

6 posts in this topic

Hi!

Omni has posted a new version of Titan where you can set the FBOFFSET manually in a plist. But even better, he also provided EDID strings to force the recognition of your monitor.

I was having problems with monitor detection on DVI port. Sometimes I got the loginwindow after 10-15 seconds but others I only got a black screen. The problem in my case was that the monitor seems not to be detected properly. But if I also connected the Analog cable it would let me in the dark for 15 seconds but the loginwindow would appear on the analog input in the end.

By looking at ioreg output I could see that the DVI port was port B so I looked at the EDID strings from my monitor ($ioreg -l | grep EDID) and stuffed them inside the Info.plist in Titan.kext. You need to have a very large terminal window to be able to get the complete line. Remember that it should end with '>'. Only the numbers you get from the ioreg command should go into the where the NNNN's are. For instance: <data>NNNNNN</data>.

Guess what? My DVI port works great and I only have a black image for 1 or 2 seconds. But I still have problems when I cold boot the machine. All is well if I boot XP first.

Fernando

PS. I hope someone understands what I am saying. Its quite late and I'm off to bed.

The new features are that you can manually set the FBOFFSET and provide the monitor detection strings for each of the ports.

It didn't give me anything better, except the startup times because of the display being immediatelly detected.

However, I jumped into conclusions in my previous post. I still have the black screen on DVI when I cold boot the machine into OSX. If I boot windows first then all is ok.

Fernando

Nov.4's boot time is same as nov.1 for me. Nov.2 gave about 10 seconds black screen. With Nov.4 its only a few blinks and its all set, chipset model is recognized with nov.4 also. I added my laptop's screen to EDID1, left FBOFFSET as 0.

7800mu8.th.jpg

Nov.4's boot time is same as nov.1 for me. Nov.2 gave about 10 seconds black screen. With Nov.4 its only a few blinks and its all set, chipset model is recognized with nov.4 also. I added my laptop's screen to EDID1, left FBOFFSET as 0.

Ok, it seems that the FBOFFSET changes the output that the card will try to use. In your case it seems that the laptop is connected to port2 and the FBOFFSET should be 0. When you used the Nov 2nd release, since it was set to use the 0x20000 offset, the drivers are perhaps timing out on the wrong until they switch to the correct one.

Can you try putting the EDID string on EDID0 instead of EDID1 to see if it makes any difference? One other thing, could you post the contents of /var/log/system.log where it detectes the displays? Search for lines with NV.

I am having problems to make my laptop work but I am still stuck on 10.4.7 since it uses SSE2...

Fernando

The latest Titan even works better for my now-almost-perfect system :P

The black screen boot delay is way down to 2-3 sec!! :blink:

I haven't even done anything to the kext.

I just pop the kext in, did the permission routine and no more 15 sec delay, danm!

It's getting better and better, and I guess I owe np_ and omni a big one.

Thanks guys, you're the best. :)