Babiloe

Needed 10.6.8 appleframebuffer.kext for gma950 in Lion

6 posts in this topic

I need 10.6.8 appleframebuffer to enable full qe ci in lion.

Before full qe in 10.6.0 with natit modified a2 kext

Symptom

Can't enable qe ci in x86_64 arch

In 32 bit arch i386 just white blank screen when started

Advertisement

There's no support for old GMA950 in 64bit kernel mode. Only in 32bit mode and up to Lion 10.7.5 (it's totally unsupported afterwards). GMA950 id 27ae is not natively supported and you need a full kext patch to support it. Is this the GMA950 model fitted to your computer?

Lion AppleIntelGMA950 + AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kexts natively support the following GMA ids:

• 8086:2582
  • 8086:2592
  • 8086:2772
  • 8086:27a2

If you have model 27ae, you'll have to patch the above kexts as follows:

1. Insert id 27ae to the Info.plist file of each kext (or replace, say, 27a2 by 27ae)
  2. Binary modify the kexts with a Hex editor app such as HexFiend or 0xED to replace all references to one of the natively supported GMA950 ids by 27ae. For example:
Find: 8680A227
Replace by: 8680AE27

repeating this for all 5 x instances.

You may consider the alternative of perl commands to do all this through Terminal app (and may find it easier):

perl -pi -e 's|\x86\x80\xA2\x27|\x86\x80\xAE\x27|g' AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer
perl -pi -e 's|\x86\x80\xA2\x27|\x86\x80\xAE\x27|g' AppleIntelGMA950.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMA950
perl -pi -e 's|27A28086|27AE8086|g' AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist
perl -pi -e 's|27A28086|27AE8086|g' AppleIntelGMA950.kext/Contents/Info.plist

NB: you'll need to run this having "cd" your way to the folder containing the kexts.

Whatever method you chose, apply it after copying (not moving) the original kexts from /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) to your desktop (also keep a backup as a precaution). Once you've modified your kexts, copy them back to /S/L/E, then repair permissions and rebuild your cache through the following Terminal commands:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /s*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

`

I would recommend you do this once you've updated to 10.7.5 and installed all security updates that may also re-install some kexts. Lion is no longer supported/updated by Apple, so once you've installed all updates that are offered to you, you'll be totally done.

Hmm, it's actually a bad idea, those kexts are buggy and break sleep. I strongly advise NOT to use those in SL or Lion.

I attach 27ae-patched kexts v7.4.1 of fully updated Lion 10.7.5.

AppleIntelGMA950.kext.zip AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip

Of course, white blank screen on startup may not be an issue of unsupported GMA950 model but more an issue of screen/EDID/graphics characteristics injection. Please post your specs:

• laptop/desktop ?
  • GMA950 PCI id ?
  • screen resolution ?

I had 27a2 gma950 in toshiba u205.

I read on 10.7.5 hcl wiki on dell laptop that I only need to use appleframebuffer from 10.6.8

Laptop

1280x800

So this is for your Toshiba u205? Dell models such as Latitude D430, D620 or D820 also had GMA950 27a2 and graphics work OOB with vanilla kexts as long + correct DSDT settings. A patched AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer was indeed used to fix a brightness issue. I attach it.

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip