F8 dual boot USB problem

iMäcen

2 posts in this topic

When I have my keyboard connected through USB, nothing happens when I hit the F8 key when Darwin loads. If I plug the keyboard to the PS/2 connector F8 works.

Is there a solution for this? I have legacy USB support disabled as OS X can't boot with it enabled.

It's a bit annoying to have to plug the keyboard to the PS/2 everytime I want to boot Windows.

At that point in the boot process, no USB drivers are loaded yet. USB is being handled by your BIOS. If there are any other USB settings in BIOS, you can try them.

If the problem is that the USB keyboard works, but not the F8 key, then you can get around that by having the Darwin bootloader display its selection menu without having to hit F8.

Setting the timeout parameter will force the Darwin (OSX) bootloader to appear so that you can choose OSX or Windows to boot.

Boot into OSX.

Edit the boot.plist file at "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and add the following:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist