[HOW TO] VMWare to Native; detailed.

1 post in this topic

/* Disclaimer */

- Yeah, I know, yet another tutorial but most I read seem to miss some of the small things which I cover.

- This is how I did it and I now have EVERYTHING (Except CI/QE) working fast as hell.

- Thanks to SABR for the original VMware to Native HOWTO and thanks to rammjet, SABR and others who have helped me or who I took info from.

- There may be mistakes and I in no way guarantee that this will work and if you do damage your PC I am not at fault though the only thing that could remotely happen (It's impossible if you do what I say) is that you may ruin your XP partition so backup, backup, and backup

Sorry it took weeks, I wrote it when I said I would and than was incredibly busy with work, gf, etc so here it is and I'll edit the post and fix any mistakes and add details.

/* Your/my system */

Due to the GA-965P-S3 not being able to use a IDE DVD-Drive [without a convert or some other extra piece of hardware] the easiest way is to install via VMware.

This guide doesn't have anything specific to the GA-965P-S3 motherboard other than it is what I used it on as opposed to [painfully] finding a converter or waiting a few months for a SATA DVD Drive. So it should work on any system.

The complete specs for my system I did this on:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

2x512MB DDR2 667MHZ GEiL RAM in dual channel

GA-965P-S3 /w the F4 bios and also with the F6 bios

Asus Nvidia 7600GT 256MB PCI-X

200GB SATA HDD as disk 0 with XP

80GB SATA HDD as disk 1 to have OSX86

/* Setting up the partition */

1) I deleted every partition off the HDD I wanted to use (80GB SATA)

2) Went into run (Win key + R or Start Menu > Run), type: diskpart

3) Type: List disk

4) Type: Select disk x - x being the number of the disk you want to use and you can tell by the command in step 3

5) Type: create partition primary id=af size=x - x being the size of your hd, well, I used my whole HDD but you can try only part if you want

Don't touch the created partition in Partition Magic, Acronis or anything than just go into the installer.*

* If you do indeed only use part of the hard drive you can create another partition with the free space as FAT32 or whatever but make sure you use the steps above and create the partition that's going to be used for OSX first. I tried to split the hd so I could have a FAT32 partition as a middle-man between XP - OSX and I could install fine but I couldn't boot into OSX because the partition it was installed on was positioned badly, as in, it was Partition 1 on the HDD and the FAT32 partition were Partition 0.

/* Setting up VMware */

1) New Virtual Machine

2) Virtual machine configuration - Custom

3) Virtual machine format - New - Workstation 5

3) Guest operating system - Windows / Version - Windows NT

4) Virtual machine name - Anything / Location - Leave default or change to anything, just not the partition you'll be using to install OSX

5) Processors - Two. I chose 2 because my CPU is dual-core, if yours isn't go One.

6) Memory - I have 1GB so I went with 512MB to have decent performance while running it in VMWare but you can leave it on 256MB as you won't be in there long

7) Network connection - Either choose 'Do not..' or 'NAT.' I chose NAT and the net was working within the virtual machine but when I went into native it was no longer working but I was able to easily fix my LAN chipset anyway

8) I/O adapter types - BusLogic

9) Disk - Use a physical disk

11) Click Ok on the warning though make sure to read it

10) Device - Make sure you choose the right HDD ! Also, if you want to use an individual partition, choose that instead of "Use entire disk" though I have only slightly tested using an individual partition.

11) Disk file - Leave default or change to any name but don't remove the ".vmdk" part

12) Click on "Edit virtual machine settings"

13) Click on Hard Disk and go to Advanced (On the right) and change the Mode to Indepedent and choose Persistent

14) Click on CD-ROM and change the drop down box below "Use physical drive" to the drive with the OSX iso (Preferably a virtual drive like with Daemon Tools) and change the Virtual device node to IDE 0:1

/* Install OSX [via VMware] */

1) Click "Star this virtual machine."

2) Click on the black box (Where the virtual machine is being ran) and press Esc and choose to boot from the CD-ROM.

3) Once in the installer go to the menu bar at the top, hit Utilities and select Disk Utility

4) Select the hard drive (Not the partition) and look for Partition somewhere in the middle in the right [main] part of the window

5) Click on the partition and partition it as HFS (Journaled).

6) Close Disk Utility

7) On the next window (Or it may be the one after IIRC) click on "Customise" and choose ONLY the packages for your system as if you choose the wrong ones, you won't be able to boot into OSX

8) Finish installation

9) Close VMware

/* Setting up dual boot with XP [via Chain0 method] */

1) Copy chain0 (Right click > Save as and you may have to change the "Save as type" to "All files") to C:/

2) Right click on My Computer go to Properties, click on the Advanced tab than Settings under Startup and Recovery

3) Click edit and add in C:\chain0="Mac OS x86" to the bottom

4) Tick the box next to "Time to display list of operating systems." and change it to 5 seconds or whatever you want

5) Click ok + reboot

If everything goes well you should now have the ability to choose between XP and OSX, choose OSX and hope it doesn't explode. ;)

/* Extras */

There are 2 GA-965P-S3 threads with fixes for reboot, audio, etc.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7 jas

I will post the methods I used to fix my LAN, audio, restart & resolution to save you trudging through the other threads some time soon.