FALLOFMAN

Ivy bridge power management preparation

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, basically I had to reinstall Sierra because I downloaded cpusensor gpusensor and acpisensor kexts, mounted the efi folder and put them in, when I restarted,  Sierra would just restart at the apple screen, I tried booting into Sierra with a usb stick, didn't work, so I had to do a full reinstall. Everything worked off the bat, didn't have to install any kexts, however, I'd like to

create an ssdt (where you extract your bios info, I believe thats what its called and whats needed for power/fan management)

Figure out a way to make the bios automatically adjust fan speeds and/or manually adjust speeds myself ( I assume I need kexts but not sure which ones or where to put them)

and ask you guys just to make sure if I'm not missing any kexts right now because when I started Sierra, everything worked in regards to audio, keyboards, mouse and screen

Thank you for your time

System

Motherboard: Asus p8v 77z-lx

cpu: intel i5 3570k ivy bridge 

Graphics: intel hd4000

psu: evga supernova 650 g2

ram: corsair vengeance 8 gig

HD: dedicated hd for OS X Sierra

Advertisement

Those sensor kexts usually are PlugIns of FakeSMC so you download them alongside the associated FakeSMC; they should all bear the same version. Mix versions and you may indeed experience trouble. I can recommend Kozlek's FakeSMC + PlugIns, they're 200% reliable.

Regarding Ivy Bridge CPU power management, it's done through the following arrangements:

1. select/activate Asus AICPUPM in Clover config (using Clover Configurator for instance). This is mandatory on laptops (with locked BIOS MSR register) but may not be required on desktops. If you get a kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, activate the patch. If not, nothing to do.
  2. generate your CPU specific power management SSDT using Pike R Alpha's ssdt generator script
  3. remove any NullCPUPowerManagement kext you may have installed
  4. if applicable, repair kexts permissions and rebuild your cache

Regarding fan management, indeed your BIOS should be able to handle that automatically, though it's possible to tune this through DSDT or SSDT patching on some computers. I'd leave it as is to begin with

Those sensor kexts usually are PlugIns of FakeSMC so you download them alongside the associated FakeSMC; they should all bear the same version. Mix versions and you may indeed experience trouble. I can recommend Kozlek's FakeSMC + PlugIns, they're 200% reliable.

Regarding Ivy Bridge CPU power management, it's done through the following arrangements:

1. select/activate Asus AICPUPM in Clover config (using Clover Configurator for instance). This is mandatory on laptops (with locked BIOS MSR register) but may not be required on desktops. If you get a kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, activate the patch. If not, nothing to do.
  2. generate your CPU specific power management SSDT using Pike R Alpha's ssdt generator script
  3. remove any NullCPUPowerManagement kext you may have installed
  4. if applicable, repair kexts permissions and rebuild your cache

Regarding fan management, indeed your BIOS should be able to handle that automatically, though it's possible to tune this through DSDT or SSDT patching on some computers. I'd leave it as is to begin with

Thanks a lot for the help! yeah I was thinking of leaving the fan how it is but even on idle its spinning at like 1200 rpm