What are the Phyiscal Limitations of OSX?

jordn

13 posts in this topic

Hey people,

Does anybody know the limitations of this version of OSX-x86? I undestand that you cannot update it using the internet for obvious reasons, but what is it 100% unable to do? or is it just like any other perfectly able operating system? :P

jordn

Hi Jordn,

No updates & DVD player not working.

Everything else seems to work on my PC.

It's possible that not every PPC compiled soft works, but I don't have tested so much.

For DVD's you can use VLC.

Greetz from germany

Hi Jordn,

No updates & DVD player not working.

Everything else seems to work on my PC.

It's possible that not every PPC compiled soft works, but I don't have tested so much.

For DVD's you can use VLC.

Greetz from germany

Well, some updates work, like iTunes, iPhoto, not via Software Update but downloaded directly from Apple site.

DVD player works in a very few because Graphic Card support.

Hey people,

Does anybody know the limitations of this version of OSX-x86? I undestand that you cannot update it using the internet for obvious reasons, but what is it 100% unable to do? or is it just like any other perfectly able operating system? :P

jordn

I've found very little that this version of OS X won't do. As I do not have a "blessed" graphics card, I don't get the "fancy" Quartz graphics Mac users enjoy - but I find the speed as good as my XP install - with a much superior interface. I've run just about every Mac sw package I can lay my hands on, and I'd say a good 98% work either completely or with minor fixes. My iTunes install works great, Photoshop, M$ Office, various Internet programs - all work quite well. My wishes:

1) Complete Support for ATI PCI cards

2) Better support for some sound cards (SB Live! for one)

Other than that, I use my MacOS X install about 99% of the time... If it weren't for some important data that I have in windoze, I'd reformat my HD and be done with M$...

I've run just about every Mac sw package I can lay my hands on, and I'd say a good 98% work either completely or with minor fixes. My iTunes install works great, Photoshop, M$ Office, various Internet programs - all work quite well.

Other than that, I use my MacOS X install about 99% of the time...

do downloaded applications or apple program CD's such as photoshop work, or do they have to be ported?

If it weren't for some important data that I have in windoze, I'd reformat my HD and be done with M$...

i know i certainly would, i think microsoft saw this coming and made themself ' revolution proof '... :P

No commercial DVD will play

No SSE CPU

Limited or no SIS or ATI chipset support

Barely two functioning wireless network (Broadcom/Airport) & Ralink

Handful of wired network card (some Intel, Realtek, sometimes works)

Really only one video card (Intel) supported fully (QE &CI)

Limited or no laptop support (PCMCIA-TI chipset only), (ACPI doesn't work)

No sound card other than AC97

No video capture card support

The list goes on...

OSX86 is a pretty face but it will almost always be beta software for most PCs that you are using.

do downloaded applications or apple program CD's such as photoshop work, or do they have to be ported?

The rule of thumb is this: if it runs on a G3, then it should run under Rosetta as well, but anything that doesn't work with Rosetta will be among the first to go native.

i know i certainly would, i think microsoft saw this coming and made themself ' revolution proof '... :P

Most of the downloads from apple and other mac software vendors have worked. Simply dl the normal Mac OS X version and install it. I've gotten acceptable speed from most apps, but then I'm not trying to master DVDs or anything either...

It is perfect or internet browsing, email,

listening music (no itunes, itunes takes too many resources and does not play oggs, try audion or mplayer).

Watching divX is fine.

Adium (chat)works great

I certainly think windows exploer is much usable tan finder, obviously explorer is ugly. I am using path finder explorer in OS X but it is slow, a much better finder.

For me I had only one issue installing mac...getting my AC97 to work. I downloaded a .zip file and viola!

It detects my sister's iPod via firewire....haven't tried usb yet.

And my built-in 9-1 card reader is working nicely. I'm extremely satisfied, this OS is a keeper. BUt I must keep Windows, (important files and compatibility reasons). I want to install this somewhere else...