PikerAlphas NVMe patch with Hynix M.2 SSDs

Krim404

22 posts in this topic

Many people having problems with the Hynix M.2 SSDs delivered in the newer Dell Notebooks. Especially the SK hynix SC215 M.2 2242

These are incompatible with PikerAlphas NVMe Patch (NVMeHackr).

Sadly i dont own a Hynix SSD and cant check on my own, so i wanted to ask if someone with such a device and much spare time would be interested in testing modified patches.

But before anyone with such an SSD just yells "hell yea i'm in": dont forget - it's possible that everything on the SSD will be deleted, it will take some time, many many reboots and i dont know if my idea is working at all.

I have the Hynix NVMe as well (PC300 512GB).  I can be another data point after the initial debugging (I don't have the time to reinstall Windows 10 and my apps right now so I can't help from the start). 

Please keep this thread updated.

it seems like it's only this particular ssd from hynix thats not working. other hynix drives work. i need more in detail informations, but these are not obtainable by remote :(

still waiting for someone who has the small 32GB version and is willing to sell it to me. i dont have enough money lying around to pay >100$ for a bigger device just for debugging purpose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to the help by okotaroo and a suggestion by sys_cl we got the hynix drive working!

<key>Comment</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily Pike R. Alpha Hynix SSD patch</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>9sEQD4UcAQAA</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IONVMeFamily</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>9sECD4UcAQAA</data>
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya, any chance you can get the Plextor PX-512M8PeG to work as well? Plextor seems cursed compared to the Samsung drives. I'm not sure if it's a matter of "adding support", or that the Samsung drives natively come closer to Apple hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, any chance you can get the Plextor PX-512M8PeG to work as well? Plextor seems cursed compared to the Samsung drives. I'm not sure if it's a matter of "adding support", or that the Samsung drives natively come closer to Apple hardware.

Plextor M8Pe worked perfectly now at 10.11.6 & 10.12.x:

Post# 974

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-49

• 2 months later...

I have the Hynix PC300 and it isnt seen in 10.2.5. I have another nvme and that is seen ok after running the NVMe RehabMan script and creating a new kext. To get the Hynix to work do I just add this to my Clover config and keep the Hacked kext or reinstall the old ionvmefamily kext? Or something else? Thanks

thanks to the help by okotaroo and a suggestion by sys_cl we got the hynix drive working!

<key>Comment</key>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>

Ok Cheers... I don’t mind not using the other nvme card as it is only 128gb... the hynix is 1Tb. So just remove all traces of the hacker script and reinstall ionvmefamily... rebuild caches and that should be fine... I hope.

After booting into Windows I could see the drive so I knew the drive was suable

I followed the instructions from a previous link and created a Ubuntu Live 16.10 USB stick... however it didn’t seem to like i7700K so I then created a Ubuntu Live 17 USB and this time I was able to issue the following commands:

sudo apt-get install smartmontools
sudo apt-get install nvme-cli

sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

the result was odd...

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt Data Metadt Rel_Perf
0  –   512    0   2

1 - 4096 0 1

It supports 4k yet neither where marked as active. It was a brand new drive.

So I then ran

nvme format -l 1 /dev/nvme0

This successfully formatted the drive and changed it to an active 4k nvme drive.

Rebooted to 10.12.5 and was asked to initialise the drive and now I have a working nvme drive with no patched kexts!

Big thanks to WMChris!

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2017 at 10:16 AM, wmchris said:

<key>Comment</key>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Replace</key>

Hello! First of all, thanks for your work... It's nice to see the huge community helping.

Next step I want is to apologize for my noob state, but... how or where may I change this? I wanna try to grow and learn in this community but everything I read is that is assumpted we know C++, programming and a lot of stuff that "normal" people don't know...

Edit: Investigating I found something like that text using clover configurator and the text mode... And add it under "Kext to patch" but nothing changes... My Hynix PC300 still disapeared... :/

Thanks for everything ^^

Edited by Depink

22 hours ago, Depink said:

Hello! First of all, thanks for your work... It's nice to see the huge community helping.

Next step I want is to apologize for my noob state, but... how or where may I change this? I wanna try to grow and learn in this community but everything I read is that is assumpted we know C++, programming and a lot of stuff that "normal" people don't know...

Edit: Investigating I found something like that text using clover configurator and the text mode... And add it under "Kext to patch" but nothing changes... My Hynix PC300 still disapeared... :/

Thanks for everything ^^

yes, we assume that you can at least read the information by yourself and inform yourself on how to add these patches.

Managing a hackintosh is not for the normal guy, this is for the enthusiasts. it is not mainstream, it is unstable, you can loose all your data, you only get very cryptic messages and you have to fix most of it on your own. If you cannot even get it to work, you would also not be able to debug it in case something went wrong and would always rely on the help of others.

The patch above is one of the most common things in the hackintosh world, a clover configuration element. It is not suitable to be set with clover configurator. I suggest you read the documentation of clover to learn how to add it to your enviroment.

If you want a working enviroment without the hassle of learning a programming language, you should consider paying for a mac and its support.

Edited by wmchris
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm facing one particular issue, i have an alienware 15r4 gync, model with gtx1070 and 2 name suds. One is samsung 981 and the other is sk hynix pc300.

samsung has windows on it and I'm using one of the partitions of skhynix pc300 where i have High Sierra. Now whenever i copy files from the samsung drive to skhynix (mac os drive) i get a kernel panic. I have already tried to add the rehab man patches in config.plist and also have the hackernvme.kext in the EFI folder. Attaching the debug files below. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have been trying to fix this for a long long time and its not working out at all.

Thanks!

debug_13201.zip

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 1:34 AM, wmchris said:

as i dont own this drive, i cannot give support. sorry.

btw: this is heavily outdated and should not be used anymore.

What's heavily outdated? The hynix pc300??

Edited by Razz

• 4 years later...