Jump to content
wmchris

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14.x Quick Installation

1,347 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hackedWifi said:

The only thing I did was to update my BIOS to the latest. Will I face any issues by using AllowFix with OsxAptioFix. Since this was the last resort as instructed on the tutorial?

only a bios update ;-). The .25 update was the main reason why we had this issue at first. before that noone needed any slide calculations to run OSX.

 

if it works, it works. but you can have problems with nvram and sometimes crashes on boot - but so far noone opened an issue when its running.

Edited by wmchris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, phaberest said:

It was an upgrade, but the only kexts I have in S/L/E are the ones of VoodooPS2Controller and the audio (backup and modified - about that it was weird to see that I didn't have to patch it again, audio worked OTB)

 

I leave you here the list of kexts, can you spot something I may have missed

audio is patched in a new way, so this could indeed interfere. but you didnt supply any debug information - just "the repo is not working". Please try a clean reinstall with the files from the repository - if this boots, then you can import your time machine backup (and hope it will not recover the reason why it didnt work in the first place)

 

Oh and make sure you use the MBP13,3 SMBIOS.

Edited by wmchris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wmchris said:

only a bios update ;-). The .25 update was the main reason why we had this issue at first. before that noone needed any slide calculations to run OSX.

 

if it works, it works. but you can have problems with nvram and sometimes crashes on boot - but so far noone opened an issue when its running.

I was reading into that and I am glad for the most part we don't need slide values anymore. I am on BIOS 1.8.0 and it works good for me for the most part although sometimes when powering on it might take a while/ sometimes bluetooth fails to load or keyboard fails to load. Shutting down and booting into it again fixes it for me anyway. An odd quirk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wmchris said:

Please try a clean reinstall with the files from the repository - if this boots, then you can import your time machine backup (and hope it will not recover the reason why it didnt work in the first place)

Thanks Chris, I'll go for a clean install this weekend and let you know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am having a problem with the newer 10.14 Github package, my upgraded 10.14 install works with the older one though. It looks like I'm getting a panic but I've no idea how to debug this, does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause?

IMG_20181004_213615.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rajveer86 said:

I too am having a problem with the newer 10.14 Github package, my upgraded 10.14 install works with the older one though. It looks like I'm getting a panic but I've no idea how to debug this, does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause?

see one line above the kernel panic - lilu is unable to apply the patch to the x86PlatformPlugin. Is it possible you have an old lilu.kext running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rajveer86 said:

It looks like I'm getting a panic but I've no idea how to debug this, does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause? 

It is exactly the same issue I am having when I try to boot from the new CLOVER folder.

I'm afraid there might be a problem with direct updates from 10.13, I'm going to a clean reinstall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, phaberest said:

It is exactly the same issue I am having when I try to boot from the new CLOVER folder.

I'm afraid there might be a problem with direct updates from 10.13, I'm going to a clean reinstall.

would be strange, i did the normal upgrade path on all machines. Please try to debug it, so we can fix it.

Just to make sure: you were able to boot into the installer, but you're not able to boot in the installed os?

 

EDIT:

@phaberest why do you still have the X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext in your /L/E?

Edited by wmchris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wmchris said:

see one line above the kernel panic - lilu is unable to apply the patch to the x86PlatformPlugin. Is it possible you have an old lilu.kext running?

 

I've had a recent one for a while now - before I upgraded to 10.14 I manually updated a number of kexts (specifically the ones from this post) so I had a newer version than from the 10.13 Github package, then I installed 10.14 and everything worked well. I'm currently trying to boot with the new 10.14 Github package which has an even newer Lilu.kext, the only thing that's different is my config.plist has a few custom Clover settings (my own slide, default volume and my own SMBIOS settings).

 

EDIT:

1 hour ago, wmchris said:

EDIT:

@phaberest why do you still have the X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext in your /L/E?

 

Oh wait, I also have it there, should I remove it?

 

EDIT 2:

 

Ok I removed it and it boots up now with the new package, brilliant! Thank you so much! I totally can't remember how that kext got there though, but you've saved me a lot of effort!

 

Just for my own curiosity and learning, why did we have to remove it? It looks like it injects unknown CPU information in to MacOS or something, so is 10.14 compatible with our CPUs by default?

Edited by Rajveer86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I got late to the party! Just completed the reinstall and everything works fine now. Thanks @wmchris, another gold!

Can't believe it was all about one kext, I totally missed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kext was from 10.13. it got replaced with another kext, which is not mandatory, too. 10.14 should be compatible with the cpu but some reported to have better battery life with the kext and they don’t do any harm... unless you try to patch the same file twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... there is an other System BIOS uptade package released on 5th october. Link

Strange because the version number is the same (1.8.0).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, alex.daoud said:

I've updated VoodooI2C to v2.1.2. This includes support for Mojave, fixes the hidd CPU usage issue people here reported, and also improves click detection.

 

First time messing with VoodooI2C. I've tried educating myself as much I can but a quick question, if I may. Did you have to mess around with DSDT and patch it, or did you install through the two lines of code inside the terminal? I had a look with the use of IORegistryExplorer and everything seems to be there, but the annoying problem of clicks not registering at times is still there... So I am trying to figure out if the patch is working and it's just not making much of a difference or have I stuffed something up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikoEl said:

 

First time messing with VoodooI2C. I've tried educating myself as much I can but a quick question, if I may. Did you have to mess around with DSDT and patch it, or did you install through the two lines of code inside the terminal? I had a look with the use of IORegistryExplorer and everything seems to be there, but the annoying problem of clicks not registering at times is still there... So I am trying to figure out if the patch is working and it's just not making much of a difference or have I stuffed something up...

Are you sure you're using v2.1.4 ? The clicking issue was fixed in that one. Patching shouldn't affect that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually right click is not working with Mojave on my xps 9550. I am using the rehabMan Voodo.kext. Anyone else having this issue. Right click works fine with a bluetooth mouse, but not with the trackpad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hackedWifi said:

Actually right click is not working with Mojave on my xps 9550. I am using the rehabMan Voodo.kext. Anyone else having this issue. Right click works fine with a bluetooth mouse, but not with the trackpad

https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/105#issuecomment-424909888

Quote

Sleep issues should be fixed in v2.1.4 . Right click with right corner and two fingers is broken for the moment due to scaling - same reason notification centre gesture is broken. A fix for this will come in a future release when we figure out the scaling issues.

Yeah it sucks that right click and 2 finger gestures are broken as otherwise the trackpad driver is flawless. I am still amazed how well it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After a few days on Mojave I can say that the CPU is rarely gets hotter than 45° C, that's amazing!

One weird thing is that on my first try to run 10.14 from the update, the time I had the kext interfering that was causing me issues and I ended up reinstalling, my monitors were working fine over USB (displaylink), now they're working with the workaround they found against an issue that is affecting the new macbook pro.


Can it be related to the DisplayFixUp?

I would wait for the release of the fix(displaylink is working on it), but I'm also curious 'cause this could be a fix for real macs as well

Edited by phaberest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything working flawless so far except you can't double tap to start selecting text (for copying and pasting something, for example).. you have to click then drag over text to select it. Any thoughts or fixes on this?

 

Edit: Nevermind this needs to be enabled in Accessibility>Mouse and Keyboard>Trackpad options

Edited by mr. baltazar
Found solution in system prefs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've moved to VoodooI2C with no problem (v2.1.4). I can feel the tracking is smooth but scrolling is still choppy. Maybe because the 4k screen?

And another question: - I've never had this feature but - while I scrolling I don't have the inertia effect (bounces if I reach the end). Is it normal or am I missing something?

 

btw thanks @alex.daoud for this amazing work! :thumbsup_anim:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, Mr.C said:

I've moved to VoodooI2C with no problem (v2.1.4). I can feel the tracking is smooth but scrolling is still choppy. Maybe because the 4k screen?

And another question: - I've never had this feature but - while I scrolling I don't have the inertia effect (bounces if I reach the end). Is it normal or am I missing something?

 

btw thanks @alex.daoud for this amazing work! :thumbsup_anim:

Not sure about choppy scrolling. I have the 4k 9550 and it works fine for me.

 

With regards to inertia scrolling, check the following setting: SysPrefs > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Scrolling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
On 10/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, Mr.C said:

I've moved to VoodooI2C with no problem (v2.1.4). I can feel the tracking is smooth but scrolling is still choppy. Maybe because the 4k screen?

And another question: - I've never had this feature but - while I scrolling I don't have the inertia effect (bounces if I reach the end). Is it normal or am I missing something?

 

btw thanks @alex.daoud for this amazing work! :thumbsup_anim:

 

21 hours ago, alex.daoud said:

Not sure about choppy scrolling. I have the 4k 9550 and it works fine for me.

 

With regards to inertia scrolling, check the following setting: SysPrefs > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Scrolling.

 

Same here, I'm on 1080p with i7 and it's more than fluffy. just perfect.. Thanks again @wmchris You're new repo also solved my FCP X problems and streaming lags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, shane87 said:

Same here, I'm on 1080p with i7 and it's more than fluffy. just perfect.. Thanks again @wmchris You're new repo also solved my FCP X problems and streaming lags

 

 

well.... the problem is in my side i guess.... when 14.1 come out I will do a clean install to solve my issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Nyggasek
      So. My laptop: Asus k55a I installed Mac OS X on the pendrive and now when I turn on the laptop and clicking esc bios it does not detect it. And now I have a question for you what settings I should set up to make everything good
    • By Teress
      Beginners Hackintosh tutorial how to create a macOS Mojave USB Installation Boot Flash Disk. Also works for High Sierra, Sierra and El Capitan. Make your own macOS Mojave boot disk. You can use it to install macOS Mojave, to repair your current installation or perform maintanace tasks.

      macOS Mojave is available for download at this AppStore link:
      https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12
      Apple Support's How to create a bootable installer for macOS:
      https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
      Clover Bootloader Download:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
       
       
    • By Teress
      In 5 minutes you get your sound on Hackintosh up and running. 100% working Vanilla, Easy & Fast Solution. Works with all systems and codecs. Hackintosh sound fix most easiest way.
       
      Supported Codecs:
      https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs
       
      Video tutorial:
       
       
    • By Discount_Mac
      Hello everyone,
       
      I was able to install macOS Sierra 10.12.6 a few months ago successfully with working audio, internet, etc.
       
      But now I want to upgrade to High Sierra and am not sure whether or not it will be compatible with my system. (Tried to do it using a High Sierra USB. Wouldn't boot into installer, showed "+++++++++++++" or something.)
       
      My specs are:
      Dell Optiplex 3010
      Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.40GHz (HD2500 Integrated Graphics)
      4GB of RAM
      NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 (Want to use this GPU, have an extra Radeon HD7470 somewhere that I can also use in this if needed)
      Conexant CX20641 Audio
      Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet
       
      So, can I upgrade to High Sierra? Please let me know.
       
      EDIT: I kept getting this error: (See attached image)
       
      Thanks
      -Discount_Mac

    • By raphcort
      Hi everyone,
      This is my first post here so I hope I respect all the rules of this holy land ! (Please don't slay the noob !)
      I need your wisdom to give me advice for the new money burning hackintosh I'm building. I already have one, but I never managed to get it stabble enough and it gave me many headaches. Also it wasn't nearly powerfull enough for a tue professional use. The new one will serve me for my work as a video and sound editor but also, cause work's not everything, to dual boot and game while thinking of slaying some random and disrespectfull diretor !
      As I'm not much of a hardcore geek, the idea is to have a stable build that will last for quite a while, and be open for future adjustments or upgrades. I wish it to be as silent as possible and I really do not care about RGB stuff.
      I have searched a lot and seen many different builds but none who satisfid all my criteria.
      But I really want to find all the best parts possible and so I come for your help.
       
      For now, here are the parts I've selected :
      CPU : Intel I9 7900X 3.3GHz
      CPU Cooling System : Noctua NH-U12S
      MOBO : Gigabyte GA-X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Pro or Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
      RAM : SKILL F4–3200 mémoire 32gtzr (I'll add 32 more as soon as I'll have the money)
      System Drive High Sierra : Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD 512 Go
      System Drive Windows 10 : SSD Crucial 250go (Not for too long though !)
      PSUs : Corsair HX1200i 80 PLUS Platinum, 1200 Watt
       
      I haven't figure out the GPU nor the case yet... So please tell me what you thing cause there are so many models out there... I was thinking maybe a MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X or the Radeon™ Pro WX 7100 Graphics which looks amazing for editing but not so great for hackintosh...
       
      Thanks a lot for your time and you help !
       
      Raph.
×