Jump to content
wmchris

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14.x Quick Installation

1,407 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody,

 

does anybody can get 1000baseT speed (1GB) with the DA200 adapter?

 

doing ipconfig in terminal I gat:

....

en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=4<VLAN_MTU>
........
    nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
    status: active

 

can't get rid of autoselect in SP -> advanced -> hardware -> speed of the USB 10/100/1000 LAN

 

thanks, regards!

E

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
2 hours ago, e.fiocco said:

    nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
    status: active

 

because mine is working with 1gbit, i would just want to ask you, if it's possible, that something else is not working as it should (like switch/router/bridge, broken cable, interference, ...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

actually it was a broken cable, I can't believe it... :sick:

thank you wmchris!

Edited by e.fiocco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Mr.C said:

A little off: 

New XPS 15 9550 1.8.0 System BIOS released on 14th Aug. 
download link

 

 

 

Did you update? Do we need to change anything on clover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, phaberest said:

Did you update? Do we need to change anything on clover?

I updated, but I am still on 10.13.3

 

No other changes for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It seems that my Samsung 950 Pro died.

I did not change to 4k sector size and used Windows and MacOS in parallel. Problems began long ago, my Laptop was always a special snow flake when it came to low memory errors during startup, which others didn't have. Then Windows 10 started slowing down - the sttartup took up to 10 minutes without reason. I did a on-the-spot reinstall and Windows got back to speed, but MacOS didn't boot anymore: Black screen, white cursor top left after Clover. 

After updating to 1.7 and 1.8 things got weirder: Sometimes after POST, self diagnostics came up and stated no HDD was installed. But SATA, SATA-1 and M2 is active in BIOS. Sometimes, when re-seating the 950 Pro, it's recognzied again. So I strongly assume that either the drive is bye bye or something's wrong with the board. 

Luckily, I extended my warranty. DEEEEELLLLLL, COME HERE!

 

EDIT: Dell decided to send me a new SSD. My next step is to go a different route. Instead of re-installing MacOS directly on the SSD, I will install Linux as the main OS to act as a host to MacOS. MacOS is to run in an virtualized environment (QEMU and KVM) with hardware pass through.


I hope to achieve the following by this method:

  1. Rock solid base system
  2. Access to the SD-card reader
  3. Proper sleep of the guest OS via the host OS
  4. Parallel usage of Windows and MacOS
  5. Native hardware access for MacOS to hardware it can deal with
  6. Resilience when Clover or MacOS updates could cause trouble
Edited by Gymnae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2018 at 9:48 AM, Gymnae said:

It seems that my Samsung 950 Pro died.

I did not change to 4k sector size and used Windows and MacOS in parallel. Problems began long ago, my Laptop was always a special snow flake when it came to low memory errors during startup, which others didn't have. Then Windows 10 started slowing down - the sttartup took up to 10 minutes without reason. I did a on-the-spot reinstall and Windows got back to speed, but MacOS didn't boot anymore: Black screen, white cursor top left after Clover. 

After updating to 1.7 and 1.8 things got weirder: Sometimes after POST, self diagnostics came up and stated no HDD was installed. But SATA, SATA-1 and M2 is active in BIOS. Sometimes, when re-seating the 950 Pro, it's recognzied again. So I strongly assume that either the drive is bye bye or something's wrong with the board. 

Luckily, I extended my warranty. DEEEEELLLLLL, COME HERE!

 

EDIT: Dell decided to send me a new SSD. My next step is to go a different route. Instead of re-installing MacOS directly on the SSD, I will install Linux as the main OS to act as a host to MacOS. MacOS is to run in an virtualized environment (QEMU and KVM) with hardware pass through.


I hope to achieve the following by this method:

  1. Rock solid base system
  2. Access to the SD-card reader
  3. Proper sleep of the guest OS via the host OS
  4. Parallel usage of Windows and MacOS
  5. Native hardware access for MacOS to hardware it can deal with
  6. Resilience when Clover or MacOS updates could cause trouble

i would not suggest doing this. vm-mac with linux base will take a hell lot of memory, performance and power. also linux on the 9550 is not as smooth as osx. nvme-ssds are unstable, my ssd was broken, too. Has nothing to do with the os and will not improve by using another os. i think this will stress the nvme even more than native.

Edited by wmchris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, wmchris said:

i would not suggest doing this. vm-mac with linux base will take a hell lot of memory, performance and power. also linux on the 9550 is not as smooth as osx. nvme-ssds are unstable, my ssd was broken, too. Has nothing to do with the os and will not improve by using another os. i think this will stress the nvme even more than native.

 

You might be correct regarding installing Linux, I'm bumping into problems right from the start. 

But in regards to Performance, with KVM and PCIe passthrough and allocating dedicated ressources, it should be fine - once it runs.

 

I'll stil give it a go. Manjaro Linux, when running from USB, has native Support of the SD-Card reader, really good power management and is blazing fast. Besides my Hardware and install woes, I'm still optimistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gymnae said:

I'll stil give it a go. Manjaro Linux, when running from USB, has native Support of the SD-Card reader, really good power management and is blazing fast. Besides my Hardware and install woes, I'm still optimistic. 

1

I'm running Manjaro as my second distro, but it is giving me issues with the sleep and most of the times it doesn't shut down. I tried to fix that in the past but ended giving up, let me know if with the latest kernel the situation has improved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@phaberest @Gymnae I'm also interested in this setup as well (QEMU + KVM), even though I understand it might have some issues like the ones @wmchris have pointed out.

 

I'm wondering if this specific discussion should be moved to another topic, so we keep this one clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, golimpio said:

@phaberest @Gymnae I'm also interested in this setup as well (QEMU + KVM), even though I understand it might have some issues like the ones @wmchris have pointed out.

 

I'm wondering if this specific discussion should be moved to another topic, so we keep this one clean.

 

I agree, this doesn't belong here. You had a great idea, so I created a new Topic: 

Please, please contribute - let's make this a group project :)

 

In the meantime: I installed it correctly, the 4k sector alignment required some tinkering. Sleep, Optimus and shutdown work well so far. 

Edited by Gymnae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have 10.13.6 up and running. I accidentally installed that instead of 10.13.0/.1/.2...my bad. Where exactly do I get 10.13.0 from if the app store only points to the newest version? Anyways, i followed the tutorial and I have 10.13.6 up and running. Everything seems to be working, uhd, touchscreen, backlight, wifi, m.2, sound. I haven't tried the headphone jack yet. The only annoyance, and idk if it's just how its supposed to behave or not is that the keyboard backspaces really slowly, and scrolling is god awful, its really janky and just plain garbage and slow. Anyone know of any possible solutions? I followed every step. I guess the only thing I've confused about is when it says 'i recommend moving some of the kexts from the clover folder to /library'. Would that help? I also installed the voodoops2 kext already. 

Edited by holographic96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, holographic96 said:

So I have 10.13.6 up and running. I accidentally installed that instead of 10.13.0/.1/.2...my bad. Where exactly do I get 10.13.0 from if the app store only points to the newest version? Anyways, i followed the tutorial and I have 10.13.6 up and running. Everything seems to be working, uhd, touchscreen, backlight, wifi, m.2, sound. I haven't tried the headphone jack yet. The only annoyance, and idk if it's just how its supposed to behave or not is that the keyboard backspaces really slowly, and scrolling is god awful, its really janky and just plain garbage and slow. Anyone know of any possible solutions? I followed every step. I guess the only thing I've confused about is when it says 'i recommend moving some of the kexts from the clover folder to /library'. Would that help? I also installed the voodoops2 kext already. 

 

Why do you want to downgrade your system if everything works fine? It makes no sense for me.

Deleting text is slow for me too but it does not bother me.

 

The choppy scrolling issue depends on two things:

- our touchpad is not fully supported, there is a promising work called VoodooI2C but it is very unstable and buggy right now

- OS related, need to buy a "supported" mouse.  If you do some research you will find out that this is a common issue even on an "official" hardware. MacOS just doesn't like any mouse

Edited by Mr.C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 9:04 AM, Mr.C said:

Why do you want to downgrade your system if everything works fine? It makes no sense for me.

Well, actually I personally thought about doing it as well. 10.13.4 and up are not working with displaylink drivers (USB dock connected monitors can only clone the screen instead of extending it). Lucky I'm too lazy to format again. :/

 

BTW I too just updated to 10.13.6 (I was still using 10.12.6 before) and everything works except that I'm unable to use 4 fingers swipes on the touchpad, it keeps taking it as it was a 3 fingers swipe (that corresponds to ⌘ + directional). Did anyone have the same issue?

 

UPDATE
I also found out that the mic is lost after sleep, this is something I have had on previous versions as well but I was able to manage a workaround. I tried installing AppleHDA patches instead of AppleALC but none of them seems to work (I ended up loosing audio entirely). After sleep I loose the speakers audio which is restored after inserting and removing the audio jack, but it doesn't apply to the mic.

 

UPDATE 2
I'm trying to use VerbStub version but I get no audio. I checked AUDL value in SSDT-Config.aml and it seems like it is already set on 0x48 (72). I tried to inject it from clover as well, but I got no improvements. @Mr.C may I ask you if you had to do any additional step to get it to work? I followed the readme over and over but I must have done something wrong.

 

Attached my IOreg

phaberest_ioreg.ioreg

UPDATE 3
Audio working! Sorry guys, I had removed the AppleALC kext from clover (discovered it is necessary by reading https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/issues/47)
The right speaker doesn't output any sound but at least the left works and the mic seems to be working after sleep.

Edited by phaberest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 3:18 AM, phaberest said:

UPDATE 3
Audio working! Sorry guys, I had removed the AppleALC kext from clover (discovered it is necessary by reading https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/issues/47)
The right speaker doesn't output any sound but at least the left works and the mic seems to be working after sleep.

Edited 1 hour ago by phaberest

 

Well thats weird. Not so long ago I had no sound too. All I had to do to purge all the audio-related files and configurations (you can find them inside the installation scripts here: DellXPS15-9550-OSX/10.13/Post-Install/Additional Steps/Audio/ ) then I installed the VerbStub version manually (again, open the script). 

 

For the mic issue, I have no info, I disabled the mic in the BIOS settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mr.C said:

 

Well thats weird. Not so long ago I had no sound too. All I had to do to purge all the audio-related files and configurations (you can find them inside the installation scripts here: DellXPS15-9550-OSX/10.13/Post-Install/Additional Steps/Audio/ ) then I installed the VerbStub version manually (again, open the script). 

 

For the mic issue, I have no info, I disabled the mic in the BIOS settings

It seems like the internal speaker came back to life after a few reboots, it was most probably a kernel cache issue.

The trackpad is the only left problem to be solved. It is somehow laggy in the scroll and doesn't recognize more than three fingers... I'd give I2C a try.

The mic is working and I don't need to plug and unplug jack to get audio back after sleep, awesome!

Edited by phaberest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, phaberest said:

The trackpad is the only left problem to be solved. It is somehow laggy in the scroll and doesn't recognize more than three fingers... I'd give I2C a try.

 

Let me know if you find any solution for the trackpad. I2C is unreliable yet :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

 

Let me know if you find any solution for the trackpad. I2C is unreliable yet :( 

I just booted with the old kext we used before VoodooPS2Controller, ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext, it recognizes all the fingers but is slower and less sensible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm testing VoodooI2C and it is actually less unstable than what I expected. The multitouch gestures are all recognized even if four fingers swipes are mapped to ⌘ + Q and ⌘ + W and they can't be changed.


The double tap to right click is almost not working and the scroll is a bit laggy, as it is the palm recognition.

Anyway I'd overall consider it usable . I just installed VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext, while keeping VoodooPS2Controller.kext for the keyboard.

BTW I used it just for one day, maybe it's too soon to say if it's the case to keep it.

--- EDIT ---

Giving VoodooPS2Controller another run

Spoiler

I just found out how to get back the four fingers swipes on VoodooPS2Controller, it's just a plist setting to be changed!

 

From the folder containing the kext (in my case I needed to use sudo as mine was in S/L/E/


sudo vi VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(use nano or any other editor instead of vi if you are more comfortable with it)

 

You'll need to find (with the latest version available it's at line 273)


<key>TrackpadFourFingerGestures</key>
<false/>

and change it to


<key>TrackpadFourFingerGestures</key>
<true/>

then rebuild the kext cache, restart and you're done, four fingers swipes will be matched with ⌘ + ^ + direction. :hbd:

-- (sad) EDIT ---
Forget it. I didn't notice it stil gets four fingers as three fingers.

It seems like it is not implemented https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-15-3567-trackpad-issue.252682/#post-1751441 I wonder how it is that it used to work on 10.12.
I'm near to give up.

Edited by phaberest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Since I have this laptop myself, I thought I would let you guys know: I have just pushed v2.1 of VoodooI2C which replaces our custom multitouch engine with fully fledged native gestures. This means that your I2C trackpad will work almost identically to a Magic Trackpad 2 (save for force touch of course). Keep in mind that v2.1 doesn't support Mojave yet but I will push a new release to support it when it goes gold.

Note also that, thanks to experimental USB support on VoodooI2C, v2.1 supports the USB touchscreen on the XPS. As a result, we now have proper gestures on the touchscreen without purchasing touchbase's drivers.

Please make sure to read the "Supported Gestures" page for important information when using native gestures.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, alex.daoud said:
Since I have this laptop myself, I thought I would let you guys know: I have just pushed v2.1 of VoodooI2C which replaces our custom multitouch engine with fully fledged native gestures. This means that your I2C trackpad will work almost identically to a Magic Trackpad 2 (save for force touch of course). Keep in mind that v2.1 doesn't support Mojave yet but I will push a new release to support it when it goes gold.

Note also that, thanks to experimental USB support on VoodooI2C, v2.1 supports the USB touchscreen on the XPS. As a result, we now have proper gestures on the touchscreen without purchasing touchbase's drivers.

Please make sure to read the "Supported Gestures" page for important information when using native gestures.
 

 

That actually might make me ditch my attempt at MacOS in a Linux VM and re-create a proper MacOS Partition! Very very cool, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, alex.daoud said:
Since I have this laptop myself, I thought I would let you guys know: I have just pushed v2.1 of VoodooI2C which replaces our custom multitouch engine with fully fledged native gestures. This means that your I2C trackpad will work almost identically to a Magic Trackpad 2 (save for force touch of course). Keep in mind that v2.1 doesn't support Mojave yet but I will push a new release to support it when it goes gold.

Note also that, thanks to experimental USB support on VoodooI2C, v2.1 supports the USB touchscreen on the XPS. As a result, we now have proper gestures on the touchscreen without purchasing touchbase's drivers.

Please make sure to read the "Supported Gestures" page for important information when using native gestures.
 

 

Thank You for your hard work! I will try it as soon as possible! Many Thanks again!

:frantics:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 12:24 PM, alex.daoud said:
Since I have this laptop myself, I thought I would let you guys know: I have just pushed v2.1 of VoodooI2C which replaces our custom multitouch engine with fully fledged native gestures. This means that your I2C trackpad will work almost identically to a Magic Trackpad 2 (save for force touch of course). Keep in mind that v2.1 doesn't support Mojave yet but I will push a new release to support it when it goes gold.

Note also that, thanks to experimental USB support on VoodooI2C, v2.1 supports the USB touchscreen on the XPS. As a result, we now have proper gestures on the touchscreen without purchasing touchbase's drivers.

Please make sure to read the "Supported Gestures" page for important information when using native gestures.
 

Amazing work man, this is definitely a revolution, well done!

 

I just installed it and it works like a charm! Feels absolutely native!ely going to keep it!

--- EDIT AFTER 1 DAY OF USE --
It still have issues with palm detection, but works flawlessly for the rest. I'm definit

Edited by phaberest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Teress
      In this short tutorial I will show you how to monitor your GPU performance in macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave HACKINTOSH and absolutely FOR FREE !!!
       
    • By spec3
      hi,
       
      Is someone using ultrawide monitor 75hz whit hackintosh?
       
      I would like to buy LG 34UC99 (resolution 3440x1440 and freq: 75hz)
       
      will it work for you?
       
       
    • By BugsB
      SleepOnLowBattery (“SOLB”)
      by BugsB, based on a script by Toggi3 * + more code snippets from the www
       
      For those of us whose HackBook/ MacBook does not go to into power saving mode automatically on very low battery but just powers down coldly: “SOLB”, a small and low load footprint AppleScript based utility that checks the battery level every 2 minutes. You can choose between two versions, either with or without sound. Both display a notification in the top right of your screen.
       
      Between ≤10 and >8% battery charge:

       
      Between ≤8 and >5% battery charge:

       
      On ≤ 5% battery charge you will see a 10 seconds countdown dialog box in 1 second intervals:

       

       
      which you can cancel, or have your your *ac*Book be sent to sleep when down to 0.
       
      The version with sound uses the pleasant macOS US female voice Allison. If the lady is not installed, you can download "her" via System Preferences, Accessibility, Speech (pane tab should get opened by the install script), click onto the two arrows to the right of System Voice, Customize, English (Unites States) -- Female, activate Allison, OK (macOS downloads voices to /System/Library/Speech/Voices - Allison consumes 120 MB).
       
      If you want to see/ see and listen first, disconnect your Mac from its power supply and double click the “run Demo” file in either folder, with or without sound.
       
      The launcher is installed per user, so one user can use the script with and another user the script without sound.
       
      Run your desired install.command, with or without sound. The script should be active right away without restart.
       
      Regarding the sound version, you can also:
      - download any other English voice of your liking and edit the name inside the script at the very top
      - download any language voice and translate the text inside the script
      Edit with Apple Script Editor, save, install, reboot.
       
      Tested working in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Please feedback if this utility also works in Mojave.
       
      If you have ideas, experience bugs, etc., please contribute as precise, succinct, productive and friendly as possible. In case of a bug, always include your version of macOS for me or others to try and help. Thank you.
       
      ENJOY
       
      VERSION HISTORY:
      2018-11-10:
      1.0 (initial version)
       
      IDEAS TO IMPLEMENT IN FUTURE RELEASES:
      Have the sound version install script check if Allison is installed, and if not, offer to download and install it. Purely cosmetic: find a way to have the display notification in the top right of the screen not display the Script Editor icon but the one of the utility without turning the utility into an app but by maintaining a script to keep the load footprint low. This is currently neither possible with an Apple Script nor with an Apple Script Bundle file, only with the script compiled into an app. One possibility might be a Perl approach, if someone volunteers. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      * Thanks to Toggi3 for the base script:
      https://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110219013713667
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      THE CODE (of the version with sound):
      install.command:
       
      LaunchAgent SleepOnLowBatterySound.plist:
       
      Script SleepOnLowBatterySound.scpt:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      SleepOnLowBattery (SOLB) by BugsB v.1.0 (2018-11-10).zip
    • By RogerDodger93
      Salve a tutti ragazzi,
      Mi sono appena iscritto e innanzi tutto vorrei esprimere la mia gratitudine per l'aiuto offerto. Il mio problema come da titolo riguarda il mio Pavilion Power 15 più precisamente il modello cb015nl. Ho notato che c'era un altro topic su un modello simile ma immagino che anche se i modelli sono simili non è detto che siano compatibili quindi ne ho creato uno per il mio modello. Per arrivare al dunque, sono riuscito ad installare con successo Mojave 10.14 ma ho riscontrato diversi problemi una volta avviato l'OS. Quello che non riesco a far funzionare è l'indicatore della batteria, il power managment (Stop non funziona e la luminosità), la porta ethernet e credo che la scheda wifi sia incompatibile, le gesture del trackpad, e l'audio che con una scheda audio esterna funziona a meraviglia e l'ultimo grosso problema è che non riesco a far partire clover senza la usb di installazione, ho installato clover bootoader sull'hd dove ho mojave ma niente senza la usb mi parte il bootloader di hp/windows. Premetto che sono partito con una copia di mojave scaricata dall'appstore. Vi allego il report di HackInfo sperando che possa essere d'aiuto per il troubleshooting
      HackInfo_Report.zip
    • By spec3
      ciao, 
       
      ho un problema con un monitor Dell p2715q 4k, funziona bene a prima vista, ma quando lavoro su programmi piu' pesanti, ho qualche problemino , del tipo che su certe azioni risulta rallentato a livello grafico. Invece se ridimensionato il monitor alla risoluzione nativa (3840x2160), sembra che questo problema sparisca. In pratica ho problemi solo nelle dimensioni intermedie. sapete se si puo' fare qualcosa? Il problema credo sia dovuto al monitor e non alla scheda video, perche' su un monitor full hd non ho problemi di rallentamento. 
       
      Per ora sto usando solo Lilu e wahtervergreen , senza questi il monitor nemmeno si accende.
       
      Se avete idee sono bene accette, 
       
      Grazie!
       
×