wmchris

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

1,516 posts in this topic

Latest macOS 10.15 19A526h (Public Beta 4) is working without any new issue. Upgrading from Beta 3 was also very smooth and didn't require any change to what we already have on Github.

Advertisement
On 8/3/2019 at 12:06 AM, nabeelmoeen said:

hey, thats awesome news on the TB16.

on a road trip at the moment so haven’t had a chance to view the video but couldn’t resist asking.

any special handling/drivers to make it work?

i am on 10.14 using wmchris original guide and the tb16 doesn’t work hot pluggable

TB16 works out of the box. Nothing extra installed. Hot pluggable 100%

On 7/4/2019 at 9:53 PM, reece394 said:

Also @golimpio if you are up for it you could try OpenCore bootloader as well it got updated to 0.0.3 with fixes for our laptop such as the SMBIOS patch .Since you are on a beta of Catalina why not? It is far more lightweight than Clover and fixes a lot of issues that are caused by Clover itself. Something to consider anyway. When Catalina comes out fully I would recommend the switch to OpenCore from what I have observed it seems a far better fit for our modern computers vs Clover. 

did you  try opencore in our laptop? had any success so far?

may i ask why so much people request opencore, while clover is working perfectly fine and is stable?

OC is in version 0.0.3 - which should be early alpha. i would not trust my whole operating system based on an early alpha key element.

1 hour ago, Mr.C said:

New Dell XPS 15 9550 System BIOS released today:

Version: 1.11.2

Fixes & Enhancements:
Fixed the issue where the TPM option disappears from the BIOS setup menu intermittently.

Trying now....

Successfully booted into 10.14.6 without problem

Posted (edited)

I successfully setup my XPS 15 9550 yesterday (i7, 16gb ram, 1080p non touch). I can see the battery % but no estimated time left. Besides that I tried to "fix" the working audio to hopefully improve audio quality and while I am at it make the combo jack work and hdmi audio. Didn't test them before though. I ran the script for "SysCL prepatched AppleHDA" and deleted the SSDT-ALC298.aml. Then I also run the VerbStub by KNNSpeed script (and did nothing else) and rebooted. I said "Just install using the install.sh" so I thought that is it. Of course at the bottom it also says that I have to copy over the "VerbStub.kext" which I just now saw. One reboot later and still no audio. 

Were I even supposed to run both "fixes"? What should I do now to get working audio back? I have no idea what exactly these scripts do and how to undo both of them. Also while I am at it how can I disable the SD card reader from within Mac OS? I want it to still work in Windows.

edit: Currently the SD card is disabled in the BIOS but I am still fairly certain that I am losing battery life too fast compared to Windows.

edit2: I use 10.15 beta 1. I also saw the "keyboard_de_DE.keylayout" file on github and placed it where it is supposed to be. How do I select this profile? "Syscontrol: Keyboard" probably means in the keyboard settings? I wasn't able to find it though. Besides that my backlight works fine (maybe a tiny bit of flickering at the lowest setting) but I think the highest brightness is a bit lower than in Windows, I could be wrong though. Would using "PatchAppleBacklight_v2" give me any benefit?

Edited by karavus007

4 hours ago, wmchris said:

most, if not all of your questions are already answered in this thread.

Could you tell at what pages the sound stuff got discussed? I followed the guide and readme files as good as I could but reading 61 pages worth of discussion for a comment that potentially solves most of my questions seemed a bit much. I also asked on the hackintosh subreddit discord server but knowledge about a specific sound problem fix on a laptop isn't that common =P Either way thanks for your contribution to this, without the guide I wouldn't even be this far.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, karavus007 said:

Could you tell at what pages the sound stuff got discussed? I followed the guide and readme files as good as I could but reading 61 pages worth of discussion for a comment that potentially solves most of my questions seemed a bit much. I also asked on the hackintosh subreddit discord server but knowledge about a specific sound problem fix on a laptop isn't that common =P Either way thanks for your contribution to this, without the guide I wouldn't even be this far.

well i dont want to get through the 60 pages, either. if you want an easy setup without hassle and without reading hundred pages of forum threads - use windows.

EDIT: oh btw, read the 9560 tutorial and forum thread, closed tickets in github and the general tutorials for sound injection, too. Also i would suggest taking a look in the command files to understand, what happened when you just ran these and where something could've gone wrong.

Edited by wmchris

1 hour ago, wmchris said:

well i dont want to get through the 60 pages, either. if you want an easy setup without hassle and without reading hundred pages of forum threads - use windows.

EDIT: oh btw, read the 9560 tutorial and forum thread, closed tickets in github and the general tutorials for sound injection, too. Also i would suggest taking a look in the command files to understand, what happened when you just ran these and where something could've gone wrong.

Was I even supposed to use both scripts together or are they not compatible together? Also it would be great if you actually linked to the thread in your guide or in the readme files. I know it was mentioned in a readme but no link anywhere to it.

1 minute ago, karavus007 said:

Was I even supposed to use both scripts together or are they not compatible together? Also it would be great if you actually linked to the thread in your guide or in the readme files. I know it was mentioned in a readme but no link anywhere to it. 

using both will break your sound.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wmchris said:

using both will break your sound.

Ok now I know what I did wrong with the script in general. It didn't copy any files over because I didn't cd to the folder first before running the script. I checked everything and the combojack script literally reverses everything the other one does except the AppleHDA.kext itself. Restored from the .old file and even tried to get a new one, both didn't work. The script does everything except removing codeccomander from clover (tried with and without it), restoring SSDT-ALC298.aml (you had to manually remove it in the first place) and changing the SSDT config file layout ID from 48 to 72 (I even tried 11 which is normally used for the ALC3266).

I went over everything and undid everything AppleHDA_sysCL did and I am 99% certain that I did everything the ComboJack solution wants correctly. I have no idea why my audio is still not working D:

edit: Ok I kinda gave up and just reinstalled everything. Fresh OS, I ran the ComboJack script and after a reboot audio was still working :D the folders for Headphone.icns and l10n.json did not exist though so I just created them myself. While audio quality is great I do not get the pop up or whatever is supposed to happen to make the combojack actually work. Right now I can only get sound.

Edited by karavus007

On 8/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, wmchris said:

may i ask why so much people request opencore, while clover is working perfectly fine and is stable?

OC is in version 0.0.3 - which should be early alpha. i would not trust my whole operating system based on an early alpha key element.

I heard it's fast and more stable and written by good developers.Also clover is old and has lots of outdated patches that we dont neeed.I've booted up using OpenCore 0.0.4 version but the DSDT hotpatches are not working like Clover.Did you try it so far?

On 8/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, tiger511 said:

did you  try opencore in our laptop? had any success so far?

I tried, but I gave up, it was a lot of manual settings and I didn't have the time to finish it properly. I can't say if it works or not though, my guess is that there were some issues with my OC configuration and I'd have to do some more reading to actually learn to setup OC properly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now