wmchris

[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

1,534 posts in this topic

I can't boot anymore after the 10.12.6 update. As far as I can see everything is fine, but it won't boot. You can see the log file in the attached picture. I hope links are fine, here is a link to the picture because the uploaded one on the site is hardly readable. http://imgur.com/a/nuMfV

... 4K Display patch

​... again

... everytime a patch gets released ...

Advertisement

... 4K Display patch

​... again

Yeah, that is probably right, simpler problem than I thought... @the_voicer u can use CoreDisplayPatcher if u don't want to patch it at every update

... 4K Display patch

​... again

Yeah, that is probably right, simpler problem than I thought... @the_voicer u can use CoreDisplayPatcher if u don't want to patch it at every update

Thank you guys I managed to get inside the OS with setting the FakeID to 0x12345678. Totally forgot about the 4K patch. Sorry.

Regarding my final cut pro x problems, I'd like to try to utilize the discrete gpu again. I read that while it cannot be used for displays, it's power it being used for OpenCL and Metal - maybe this could enable FCPX again,

Is anybody using this machine for Final Cut Pro X?

How would I go about and re-enabling the batter draining Nvidia DGPU? Would I still need to rename GFX0 to IGPU in config.plist and just delete the SSDTs for diabling the dGPU?

Cheers

Regarding my final cut pro x problems, I'd like to try to utilize the discrete gpu again. I read that while it cannot be used for displays, it's power it being used for OpenCL and Metal - maybe this could enable FCPX again,

Is anybody using this machine for Final Cut Pro X?

How would I go about and re-enabling the batter draining Nvidia DGPU? Would I still need to rename GFX0 to IGPU in config.plist and just delete the SSDTs for diabling the dGPU?

Cheers

Did You try to encode some very low resolution video, something that cant overheat the dGPU? That way You can be sure if the overheating is causing the issue.

Did You try to encode some very low resolution video, something that cant overheat the dGPU? That way You can be sure if the overheating is causing the issue.

Yeah, I tried VGA content. Same result, this time even without filling up the VRAM completely. Heat levels are also ok according to HWMonitor and iStat Menus.

The system still crashed and I cannot find any log via Console.app helping me to nail down the problem.

I took the following steps to activate the dGPU and investigate, if it could help:

1. I deleted the SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml from Clover/ACPI/Patched and installed both NVIDIA Cuda and Web drivers. The dGPU is now seen, but of course not used for display purposes
  2. The dGPU is listed as supporting Metal
  3. The dGPU is not used AT ALL when rendering with FCP X and not available for benchmarking - so I cannot say that what I read previously regarding dGPU still being useful for OpenCL and Metal tasks is true
  4. GeekBench lists the NVIDIA dGPU as not available for Metal, in contrast to the System profiler. It might not be fully activated

I have no idea what to try next :(

EDIT: I created a thread, since this might be a bigger issue - or just faulty hardware on my side

off-topic:

Reading the 9560 guide, they have brightness on reboot fixed and a link to SD reader drivers for our 9550. Wouldn't both be someting for our machine? Especially the PCIE card reader :)

Yeah, I tried VGA content. Same result, this time even without filling up the VRAM completely. Heat levels are also ok according to HWMonitor and iStat Menus.

The system still crashed and I cannot find any log via Console.app helping me to nail down the problem.

I took the following steps to activate the dGPU and investigate, if it could help:

1. I deleted the SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml from Clover/ACPI/Patched and installed both NVIDIA Cuda and Web drivers. The dGPU is now seen, but of course not used for display purposes
  2. The dGPU is listed as supporting Metal
  3. The dGPU is not used AT ALL when rendering with FCP X and not available for benchmarking - so I cannot say that what I read previously regarding dGPU still being useful for OpenCL and Metal tasks is true
  4. GeekBench lists the NVIDIA dGPU as not available for Metal, in contrast to the System profiler. It might not be fully activated

I have no idea what to try next :(

EDIT: I created a thread, since this might be a bigger issue - or just faulty hardware on my side

off-topic:

Reading the 9560 guide, they have brightness on reboot fixed and a link to SD reader drivers for our 9550. Wouldn't both be someting for our machine? Especially the PCIE card reader :)

I am using Final Cut Pro long time and without any problem. Does your discrete video disable completely? (do you have in ioreg.log disabled dGPU?).

I am using Final Cut Pro long time and without any problem. Does your discrete video disable completely? (do you have in ioreg.log disabled dGPU?).

Yes, I attached two ioreg logs, one with NVIDIA dGPU activated and one without. The result is the same for both.

gymnae-ioreg.zip

I tried that now, too via deleting the Fake_PCIID for Intel kext. Same result. Also, I tried launching FCP in a low resolution mode and thought that would help, but not really. There's no real pattern to it, but the reboot happens

@Gymnae Can you share some video content (something resource-hungry like 4k is preferable)? I want to try on my setup

Sure, currently I'm travelling and will do so once I'm off mobile Internet and back to my DSL :)

The problem did appear also with simple VGA h.264 content, though. It's happening when the GPU is used, which happens when any effect, including color calibration, is applied.

@Gymnae, I think it's safe to assume that it's not Your hardware if You can play games on pc. Try same free game off of steam and see if it causes any problems. That will also stress Your GPU.

just wanted to give you guys an update. MY THUNDERBOLT 3 DEVICES are all working after replacing networkinterfaces.plist in my dell xps hackintosh with my original macbook pro's networkinterfaces.plis which is located library/preferences/systemconfiguration. 

all my drives my apollo thunderbolt soundcard my dock all showed up. 

it is amazing @wmchris

Gladly - and for now I still strongly assume it's something with my iGPU:

1. Use the latest FCP X - it's 10.3.4 as of this writing.  Start a project on your local SSD or USB disk, it doesn't matter

2. Import any 2k or 4k content - I can provide some 4k mavic pro drone footage I shot

3. Add any effect, because this triggers GPU usage: Like loading of LUT plugin to load in LUTs, for example mLUT OR add any other effects

4. If using a LUT plugin, load any LUT through the plugin and apply it to the 8bit footage you are editing, for example this one

5. Work for a while in FCP X - export and work

6. At a random moment it'll reboot to the Dell logo with reset of brightness - no crash log in console

Why do I assume it's the iGPU? I do get artifacts when playing Command & Conquer 3 with FullHD resolution, something that looks like an overclocked GPU or when it's getting too hot. I cannot get temp readings of the iGPU itself, but the temps of the CPU die are fine, during gaming and rendering. I ran a bunch of OpenCL, metal and GPU benchmarks without any problem both in Windows and MacOS

I checked the VRAM usage with iStat Menu and it reaches 100% when rendering FCPX content with effects applied. I also did an extensive RAM check and it passed. The hardware seems fine!

EDIT:

1. Found out any effect can trigger the crash, edited the text accordingly
  2. Hardware diagnosis could not find any hardware error

Hi Gymnae,

I have most probably bad news for you - just got one TV series episode into FCPX (latest version), video itself in mp4 with 1280x720 resolution. Applied few filters (color balance, camera recording effect) - and made export to Apple 4k profile. While that - continued working (visual studio in Win7 VM running inside of virtualbox, plus some local Xcode compilations, plus around 30-40 tabs in chrome, music playing in background from spotify etc.) - and everything looks fine.

Also, some time ago (few months maybe) i was playing Spore game with something like 1.5-2k resolution (don't remember exactly) - and i had no artifacts during play.

So, I assume, that maybe something with your MacOS or your setup or (maybe, there is some chance) with hardware

P.S. Could you try to run different benchmarks on you laptop that are using GPU - like cinebench, geekbench etc.?

Hi Gymnae,

I have most probably bad news for you - just got one TV series episode into FCPX (latest version), video itself in mp4 with 1280x720 resolution. Applied few filters (color balance, camera recording effect) - and made export to Apple 4k profile. While that - continued working (visual studio in Win7 VM running inside of virtualbox, plus some local Xcode compilations, plus around 30-40 tabs in chrome, music playing in background from spotify etc.) - and everything looks fine.

Also, some time ago (few months maybe) i was playing Spore game with something like 1.5-2k resolution (don't remember exactly) - and i had no artifacts during play.

So, I assume, that maybe something with your MacOS or your setup or (maybe, there is some chance) with hardware

P.S. Could you try to run different benchmarks on you laptop that are using GPU - like cinebench, geekbench etc.?

Geekbench runs fine, I will give cinebench a try. A 2.4k demo video is currently uploading, I will share the link in this post.

EDTI: Cinebench OpenGL and CPU tests ran without a problem

I've also installed Windows 10 on the machine and will run tests on the iGPU - deactivating the dGPU.

You've mentioned you are running another setup compared to wmchris' repo. Would you be able to share it? I'd like to see your Clover configuration, maybe there's a difference in the Clover folder. I do not want to believe that it's a Hardware problem.

Geekbench runs fine, I will give cinebench a try. A 2.4k demo video is currently uploading, I will share the link in this post.

EDTI: Cinebench OpenGL and CPU tests ran without a problem

I've also installed Windows 10 on the machine and will run tests on the iGPU - deactivating the dGPU.

You've mentioned you are running another setup compared to wmchris' repo. Would you be able to share it? I'd like to see your Clover configuration, maybe there's a difference in the Clover folder. I do not want to believe that it's a Hardware problem.

After Monday i'll try to get everything together and will share it for you

just wanted to give you guys an update. MY THUNDERBOLT 3 DEVICES are all working after replacing networkinterfaces.plist in my dell xps hackintosh with my original macbook pro's networkinterfaces.plis which is located library/preferences/systemconfiguration.

all my drives my apollo thunderbolt soundcard my dock all showed up.

it is amazing @wmchris

Can you share this file for us please?

TB doesnt work because everyone i know who could debug it doesnt own any TB enabled device ;-) so i doubt you'll get it to work on the XPS15.

all, thanks a lot for the amazing support here. I read somebody else mention on the thread (sorry tried looking but can't locate the post) that it should work if the device is plugged in before powering on/booting the machine .. .AND IT DOES!!

so the TB 16 dock works absolutely perfect when plugged in at boot (UHD display to external monitor, usb ports working). 

haven't tried the other ports yet (since i dont use many others on my usual setup). 

not working - audio on the monitor, although i recall that HDMI audio was working when directly plugged in (without the dock).

all, thanks a lot for the amazing support here. I read somebody else mention on the thread (sorry tried looking but can't locate the post) that it should work if the device is plugged in before powering on/booting the machine .. .AND IT DOES!!

so the TB 16 dock works absolutely perfect when plugged in at boot (UHD display to external monitor, usb ports working). 

haven't tried the other ports yet (since i dont use many others on my usual setup). 

not working - audio on the monitor, although i recall that HDMI audio was working when directly plugged in (without the dock).

Could you download IOJones app and save it's output in moment when you have booted with TB16 and it is working (and great if you have something plugged into it, like flash drive etc.). I have some ideas regarding thunderbolt, but i have no device to even collect some data from system to analyze.

Could you download IOJones app and save it's output in moment when you have booted with TB16 and it is working (and great if you have something plugged into it, like flash drive etc.). I have some ideas regarding thunderbolt, but i have no device to even collect some data from system to analyze.

hi goodwin_c, please find attached the output of the iojones app (sharing google drive link since it doesn't allow me to attach the file here)

devices connected to the docking station at the moment:

1. USB mouse and keyboard (via one Logitech universal receiver)

2. Display Port 34" widescreen display (3440 x 1440)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JNRaAYDLvCbzc4R21OcVk1R3c/view?usp=sharing

hi goodwin_c, please find attached the output of the iojones app (sharing google drive link since it doesn't allow me to attach the file here)

devices connected to the docking station at the moment:

1. USB mouse and keyboard (via one Logitech universal receiver)

2. Display Port 34" widescreen display (3440 x 1440)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JNRaAYDLvCbzc4R21OcVk1R3c/view?usp=sharing

hm, looks pretty interesting and little bit promising. let see if i can do anything with that. sad that i have no device to test