Switching between graphics cards

overflow1972

4 posts in this topic

Good morning,

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P with a working Sierra. I am now using the integrated Intel HD 530 as a graphic board under Windows 7 and OSX.

I'd like to buy a GTX1060 that is not supported yet under OSX. Since my motherboard's bios can save different working profiles,

I was thinking of preparing a first bios profile for Windows 7 where I disable the "Internal graphics".

In the second bios profile, for OSX, I would need to enable the "internal graphics" (Intel HD 530) and I would needed to disable the GTX1060. I think that the motherboard has not a function to disable the PCI-E x16 slot. The motherboard allows me just to :

IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display

This mean that I cannot disable the GTX1060. I can just put the IGFX as first display.

What do you think about that ?

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually did a similar setup this weekend. Basically using GTX 1060 for Windows 10 and Intel HD Graphics 530 for macOS Sierra.

How did I it was... I just connected my main monitor with 2 cables - one to the GTX 1060, and the other to integrated graphics. I also set the integrated graphics in BIOS to auto I think (or was it enabled? can't remember not check at the moment). I can't connect my other monitor, because all I have on the integrated card is a VGA and a DVI port.

Windows detected that setup as 3 monitors, but as soon as it installed the Intel drivers and I set the monitor to not display anything, the setup started working great. It still shows as if I had 3 monitors connected, but "the 3rd one" isn't used at all - the card doesn't even output to it. That makes my main monitor automatically switch between the HDMI connected to the GTX 1060 (Windows) and DVI connected to Intel HD 530 (macOS Sierra).

On the macOS side everything worked out of the box, other than the known Intel HD 530 issues (top-left corner glitches, 7 MB VRAM, wake problems - out of which I fixed the first two).

Much easier solution. My GTX 960 doesn't work in Mavericks so I use my 270X instead. Use nv_disable=1 so the system can boot and switch your monitor over to your supported GPU when you want OS X and vise versa. Use IGPU as First Graphics Init. My second display is always connected to my 270X and I just connect my primary display to my 960 when Windows and my 270X when Mac.