[GUIDE] HP Z800 Hackintosh macOS Sierra 10.12.1

SBC-Studios

81 posts in this topic

No hokus pokus - No magic  :) 

I am basically making this more current and simplifying it for people with HP Z800 wanting to run Sierra. With a bit more detail on the BIOS settings

All credit really goes to: chatdeau, Rockey12 and ZoroZZ for helping out and creating the first topic on the HP Z series found here

I am not sure who to credit for the kexts but a big THANK YOU to whoever you are!

The HP Z series is very powerful and affordable computers which I simply think is a brilliant Hackintosh solution. 

MY HW Specification :

HP Z800  with BIOS version : 3.60

CPU: x2 6-core X5690

RAM: 32 GB

GFX:  ATI HD5870

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

What you need.

A HP Z800/600 (obviously)

A working computer running Mac OS X

- A 8gb or higher USB 2.0 key

- Mac OS X Sierra app

- Latest CLOVER 

- The Attached Kexts

Step one – BIOS Update

Update your BIOS to the latest (currently it is 3.60 Rev.A 14 Apr 2016)

Download there

The easiest way is to run the flash tool on a Windows installation.

Step two – BIOS settings

Setup the BIOS settings with the following settings. Please keep in mind that there might be option you can turn on or off depending on your need but this is just what worked for me.

Storage > Storage Options

-               Removal Media Boot = Enable

-               Legacy Diskette Write = Enable

-               SATA Emulation = RAID+AHCI

Security > System Security

-               Data Execution Prevention = Enable

-               Virtualization (VTx) = Disable

-               Virtualization (VT-d2) = Disable

-               AES Instruction = Enable

Security > Device Security (Everything to “Device Available” except these)

-               Serial port = Hidden

-               Internal USB = Hidden

-               SAS Controller = Hidden

-               Legacy Diskette = Hidden

-               Embedded Security = Hidden

Power > OS Power Management

-               Runtime Power Man = Enable

-               MWAIT-Aware OS = Enable

-               Idle Power savings = Extended

-               ACPI S3 Hard Disk = Disable

-               ACPI S3 PS2 Mouse = Enable

-               USB Wake = Disable

-               Unique Sleep State = Disable

Power > Hardware Power Management

-               SATA Power Manage = Enable

-               Intel Turbo Boost = Enable

-               Enhanced Intel Turbo Boost = Enable

-               EUP Compliance = Enable

Advanced > Processor

-               Hyper-Threading = Enable

-               Active Cores = All Cores

-               Limited CPUID = Disable

Advanced > Chipset/Memory

-               PCI SERR# Generation = Disable

-               PCI VGA Palette Snooping = Disable

-               Enhanced Memory Performance = Enable

Advanced > Device Options

-               Num Lock = Off

-               S5 Wake on LAN = Enable

-               Multi-Processor = Enable

-               Internal Speaker = Disable

-               Monitor Tracking = Disable

-               NIC PXE = Disable

-               SATA RAID Option ROM = Enable

Step tree – Create the USB

Download the Mac OS Sierra installer app from the Appstore on a working computer running Mac

Run Disk Utility and format the USB key as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map.

I just named the USB Key Untitled as standard

Then open terminal and run this command to create the USB key

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Please note that this part of the command “/Volumes/Untitled” is the path to the USB key and if you have named it anything else than “Untitled” you will have to edit it with the name of your USB key.

Once the command is done you have to install Clover which can be downloaded here

Run the clover pkg and remember to “Change Install Location” to your usb.

Then choose costumize and choose the following:

- Bootloader

- Install boot0af in MBR

- CloverEFI

- CloverEFI 64-bits SATA 

Once Clover is installed you will need to add the following Kexts (attached below) to the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 folder on your USB Key.

- AHCIPortInjector_v1.0.0_Micky1979.kext

- FakeSMC_v6.16.1372_netkas.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector_v1.0.0_Micky1979.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement_v1.0.0d2_tgwbd.kext

Step four – Boot to Installation

Insert the USB key and start the computer. At the HP screen choose F9 to choose boot option. Then select USB drive

When you are at the CLOVER screen you can choose options and in the boot arguments you should write use the –v bootflag to be able to see what is going on in case there is any errors.

In my case I am using a ATI 5870 GPU and I don’t need to do anything as the ATI 5xxx series is supported but Mac OS X by default.

If you have an Nvidia card you need to add  the nv_disable=1 boot argument to avoid a black screen.

Now run the installer as you would with any Mac and at the install screen you shall rund Disk Utility and format the drive you want to use as we did previously with the USB key. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map.

The installer will reboot the computer and when It starts again you need to hit F9 again select the USB key but this time at the Clover screen You need to choose your newly created Hard drive.

The Installer will continue after this and boot one last time before booting in to the new system.

Please note that you need to boot from the USB and choose the hard drive each time at the Clover screen.

Step five – Make the OS bootable

Once you are running your new OS you will need to install clover to that drive like we did previously on the USB key.

Run the clover pkg and remember to “Change Install Location” to your hard drive.

Then choose costumize and choose the following:

- Bootloader

- Install boot0af in MBR

- CloverEFI

- CloverEFI 64-bits SATA 

Once Clover is installed you will need to add these following Kexts found here to the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 folder on you’re the OS X hard drive.

If you have an Nvidia GPU you will need to install the web driver which is found here

And use the nvda_drv=1 boot flag at the clover screen. You will need to add this to the config.plist ether manually or with clover configurator to avoid typing it in all the time.

Enjoy your new powerful hackintosh.

HP Z800 kexts Sierra.zip

• Like 4

post-555472-0-17360100-1482798122_thumb.jpg ATI HD5870  ATI HD5770  macOS 10.12.1 

if you just want to use internet these 2 ATI Cards can give you very good result the only problem is that  they are not supporting 4K

framebuffer patch for 

Sapphire HD 5770 1gb

ATIConnectorsData===000000400000071000000000000120404020000000004000000140000000071000000000000011201040

0000000000200001400000000710000000000000000060300000000000800000002000000710000000000002205050100000000

ATIConnectorsPatch===000400000403000000010000000000001204010200000000040000001402000000010000000000000002020400000000040000001402000000010000000000000000030300000000000800000402000000710000000000002205040100000000

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: SLT2

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Displays:

PL4071UH:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Television: Yes

Acer P243W:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: ===========

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

post-555472-0-84115100-1482799677_thumb.png

Yes the ATI cards are very good and what I use, as I am not on the 4K vibe yet.

In regards to your NVIDIA Quadro 2000 card:

It should work flawlessly with the web driver.

Did you use nvda_drv=1 to boot?

And which PCI slot is your card in on the mobo?

Mine is in number 2 from the top.

• Like 1

i have very good working system the only problem i have is the USB port are not working

Hub (Root Hub Simulation Simulation) @ 0x3d000000 with 7 ports
    Port 1:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 2:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 3:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 4:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 5:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 6:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 7:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
Hub (Root Hub Simulation Simulation) @ 0xfd000000 with 7 ports
    Port 1:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 2:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 3:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 4:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 5:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 6:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 7:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
Hub (IOUSBHostDevice) @ 0xfd400000 with 7 ports
    Port 1:  Status: 0x0100  Change: 0x0000
        STATUS(change): POWER FullSpeed 
    Port 2:  Status: 0x0303  Change: 0x0000  Apple Keyboard
        STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE POWER LowSpeed 
    Port 3:  Status: 0x0100  Change: 0x0000
    Port 4:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 
    Port 5:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 
    Port 6:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 
    Port 7:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 

USB Prober.zip

How to Install

It is important that you follow these instructions as it is not a good idea to have two different ApplePS2Controller.kexts under different names. Originally the Voodoo code was packaged as ApplePS2Controller.kext as it was based on code originally from Apple. Newer versions, including this one, are called VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

In addition, as of version 1.7.4, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext is integrated into VoodooPS2Controller.kext, and you must remove it.

So here are the instructions: (/System/Library/Extensions is abbreviated to /S/L/E)

• remove /S/L/E/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (note: this is only for version 1.7.4 or greater)
    sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  •  
  • remove /S/L/E/ApplePS2Controller.kext
    sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
  •  
  • For versions 1.8.0, 1.8.1, and 1.8.2, ProBook users not using kozlek's branch of FakeSMC may wish to copy the ProBook specific Info.plist files (you are encouraged to use RehabMan's branch of kozlek's FakeSMC, such that this is not necessary). Assuming your current working directory is where you extracted the distribution archive:
    cp ./ProBook/Trackpad-Info.plist ./Release/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  • cp ./ProBook/Keyboard-Info.plist ./Release/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  •  
  • install VoodooPS2Controller.kext using your favorite Kext installer (Kext Wizard) (note: for versions prior to 1.7.4, you must install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext as well)
  • starting with version 1.7.8, install the VoodooPS2Daemon
    sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons
  • sudo cp VoodooPS2Daemon /usr/bin
  •  
  • optional: rebuild permissions and kernel cache
  • reboot

please don't forget to give the credits

RehabMan-Voodoo-2016-1208.zip

I performed a direct update from El Capitan to MacOS Sierra.

Steps

1) Backup your main drive just in case.

2) Update to latest Clover boot loader.

3) back up your added Kexts in /s/l/e and store them in a folder on your desktop

4) download Sierra from app store.

5) begin update and let reboot.

6) at reboot I shut down the computer and replaced the graphics card with the "Zotac Nvidia GT 710" as I was using a "GT 610" and is not supported in Sierra.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=zotac+710&N=-1&isNodeId=1

7) Power on computer and complete upgrade.

8) You are done. Add additional kexts to /s/l/e if needed however I did not have to as all my added kexts where not removed by upgrade.

First thoughts, Personally I like El Capitan better on this HP z800.

post-1743799-0-06174000-1483413987_thumb.jpeg

Hello all,

Just loaded 10.12.2 on one of my Z800s.

I'd like to note that the only BIOS setting I had to change from Default was:

Security > Device Security

-               Legacy Diskette = Hidden

Without this change, I got a kernel panic very early in the startup process.  A reference to FDC (floppy disk controller) was the clue.

Bests,
--jeff

I also have disabled

Security > Device Security

Serial port = hidden

Security device = hidden

I had to enable 

Virtualization (VTx)

Virtualization (VT-d2)

Otherwise my computer would reboot at clover

I also disabled  NIC - Wake on lan ( which would cause computer to immediately wake up from sleep mode. )

Hello, thanks for the guide. I love the functionality on my computer, but I am having the same problem as @corei3cpu with the computer not waking up from sleep.

I have an nVidia GTX 950 (I actually had two in SLI mode but for troubleshooting purposes took one out) and a Z600 tower. I'm using the nVidia web driver. When the computer goes to sleep it wakes up but the screen does not come back on. I have it connected via DVI though I am looking for an HDMI cable to test with that. I am certain the computer is waking up because I can hear the drives clicking on and the CPU fans come to life. I can type commands but I don't know any that would help.

I have tried removing the kext NullCPUPowerManagement_v1.0.0d2_tgwbd.kext by simply removing from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 however that didn't seem to cause any change.

I have searched the Internet and it seems a lot of people have some variant of issue. There are so many different discussions on how to solve the issue that I struggle to figure out which is relevant to my configuration. (I'm very new to setting up MacOS on a non Apple computer)

Any tips on how I can troubleshoot my issues? I am going to enable SSH mode so that I can connect to it from another computer to do further diagnosis.

Any help greatly appreciated!

NVIDIA TIP:

If you have a newer nVidia card you can get it to work by installing the correct nVidia Web driver, then opening Clover Configurator, going to System Parameters and checking Nvidia Web. Without this setting sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Apparently the nvidia_drv=1 has no effect. 

post-1936568-0-27004100-1483632170_thumb.png

• Like 2

I am really not sure about the Nvidia cards. I personally use ATI cards that I know is compatible and works OOB.

OK, I've found another thread that shed some insight. It may be that I also have a problem with my USB ports and that could be the root issue. So I'll take it one problem at a time.

I will say that I'm tempted to get an easier to use card. Performance wise, the GTX 950 is perfect, and the price is good. Is there an ATI that supports OpenCL (Creative Cloud) that would be comparable to the 950 I have in price and performance and has better OOB support? I think the RX 460 is comparable but I don't know that it works OOB. I'm not as familiar with the ATI cards. 

Either way, I'm going to plug along and I'll share the results here as I make progress.

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for the guide. I love the functionality on my computer, but I am having the same problem as @corei3cpu with the computer not waking up from sleep.

I have an nVidia GTX 950 (I actually had two in SLI mode but for troubleshooting purposes took one out) and a Z600 tower. I'm using the nVidia web driver. When the computer goes to sleep it wakes up but the screen does not come back on. I have it connected via DVI though I am looking for an HDMI cable to test with that. I am certain the computer is waking up because I can hear the drives clicking on and the CPU fans come to life. I can type commands but I don't know any that would help.

I have tried removing the kext NullCPUPowerManagement_v1.0.0d2_tgwbd.kext by simply removing from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 however that didn't seem to cause any change.

I have searched the Internet and it seems a lot of people have some variant of issue. There are so many different discussions on how to solve the issue that I struggle to figure out which is relevant to my configuration. (I'm very new to setting up MacOS on a non Apple computer)

Any tips on how I can troubleshoot my issues? I am going to enable SSH mode so that I can connect to it from another computer to do further diagnosis.

Any help greatly appreciated!

NVIDIA TIP:

If you have a newer nVidia card you can get it to work by installing the correct nVidia Web driver, then opening Clover Configurator, going to System Parameters and checking Nvidia Web. Without this setting sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Apparently the nvidia_drv=1 has no effect. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.06.52 AM.png

My z800 is running Dual Boot MacOs Sierra / Win-10 and runs fine. Everything works. I have no problems with Sleep/Wake it works fine.

I think it runs better with OS-X than with MS-Windows-10. At least all the apps work in OS-X. Windows-10 has app problems.

I did have a problem when I tried to use NullCPUPowerManagement_v1.0.0d2_tgwbd.kext  so I removed it.

Use "DPCImanager app" to add and remove kexts.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dpcimanager/

After you add or remove a kexts you need to rebuild the cache. Use DPCImanager to do this.

Here is a list of the Kexts I am using.

On the Boot drive EFI folder

In /EFI/Clover/Kexts/

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext

AHCIportinjector.kext

FakeSMC.kexts

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

On boot drive in /System/library/extentions/
LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext
AHCIportinjector.kext
FakeSMC.kexts

Download my Install config and files I used for install below. Should work for HP z800, z600, z400. See Link

https://www.dropbox...._Files.zip?dl=0

For Xeon CPU's use VoodooTSCsync.kext for your appropriate CPU. Place kexts in your Install USB only ( /EFI/Clover/Kext/ ).

https://www.tonymacx...ories/kexts.11/

My Build is basically the same as a 2012 12-core Mac Pro only a PC version:
HP z800 ( dual xeon x5670 hex core, total of 12-cores, 24-threads )
Memory - 48gb DDR3 ECC
CPU Liquid cooled
Hard drives - (4) 2tb and 3tb. storage drives
SSD - (2) 120gb. 2.5"
Graphics - Nvidia GT 610 El Capitan ( For MacOS Sierra you will need an Nvidia GT 630, 710, or 730 or Higher ).
Wifi-ac / bluetooth  - Apple Broadcom  bcm94360cd PCIE with adapter. ( ebay purchase ).
Audio - Creative labs Audigy 2zs or Behringer UCA202 USB audio device. ( 7.2 Surround sound. )
LG DVD-RW and Bluray burner
Dual displays ( 32-inch and 50-inch TV . 1080p ).
HP PS2 and USB keyboard and mouse.
Webcams - Logitech 610 and HP 310
Speakers - Klipsch and Yamaha AV reciever 7.2

See my Build here:
  • Like 2

Here's my update. After I read the instructions here and another thread I ran out of time. I also consequently found out that if I put my computer to sleep with the apple menu then I can wake it up without problem. I set the power management to only put the screen and hard drive to sleep, not to go into full sleep mode. Now when I'll be away from it for a while I put it to sleep and it wakes up fine.

As it stands, 2-3 of my USB ports are not functioning and some of my ports may not be working at full speed. In theory my screen will not wake up after the computer puts itself to sleep, but I've mitigated this problem.

Therefore, for now, I'll get by as it is.

• Like 1

USB ports are not functioning and some of my ports may not be working at full speed

Hub (Root Hub Simulation Simulation) @ 0x3d000000 with 7 ports
    Port 1:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 2:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 3:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 4:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 5:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 6:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 7:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
Hub (Root Hub Simulation Simulation) @ 0xfd000000 with 7 ports
    Port 1:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 2:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 3:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 4:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 5:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 6:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
    Port 7:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe00002c2 
Hub (IOUSBHostDevice) @ 0xfd400000 with 7 ports
    Port 1:  Status: 0x0100  Change: 0x0000
    Port 2:  Status: 0x0303  Change: 0x0000  Apple Keyboard
        STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE POWER LowSpeed 
    Port 3:  Status: 0x0100  Change: 0x0000
    Port 4:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 
    Port 5:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 
    Port 6:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 
    Port 7:  (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f 

this problem is related to the USB HUB each usb hub has 7 port we have to find out the right port to the right connector
i'm helpless i don t know who can help us to fix it

post-555472-0-68558900-1484086274_thumb.png

NVIDIA TIP:

Yup, works great for me on z600 with a Quadro 4000.  Anyone else following this thread working with a Quadro 4000, this is the second one I've had in a hackintosh and they always seems to underperform their native windows benchmarks or the comparable mac version of the card.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Any Idea why I don't see the hard disc I want to partition in step #4?

Those instructions are not entirely correct.

In bios make these changes:

-               Data Execution Prevention = Enable

-               Virtualization (VTx) = Enable

-               Virtualization (VT-d2) = Enable

-               AES Instruction = Enable

-               Serial port = Hidden

-               Internal USB = Enable

-               SAS Controller = Enable

-               Embedded Security = Enable

NIC wake on lan = Hidden/Disable

I have connected my boot drives to the Sata controller.

I have connected my Storage drives( hard drive caddies ) to the SAS controller

Check you Sata cables and make sure they are connected to the correct controller.

You can switch the sata cables around on the motherboard to fix this.

post-1743799-0-62850700-1485929707_thumb.jpg

Those instructions are not entirely correct.

In bios make these changes:

-               Data Execution Prevention = Enable

-               Virtualization (VTx) = Enable

-               Virtualization (VT-d2) = Enable

-               AES Instruction = Enable

-               Serial port = Hidden

-               Internal USB = Enable

-               SAS Controller = Enable

-               Embedded Security = Enable

NIC wake on lan = Hidden/Disable

I have connected my boot drives to the Sata controller.

I have connected my Storage drives( hard drive caddies ) to the SAS controller

Check you Sata cables and make sure they are connected to the correct controller.

You can switch the sata cables around on the motherboard to fix this.

Thanks. Will try this out.

So I finally got my HP Z800 working with Mac OS installed (thanks to @corei3cpu) but I have problem with my video. I have Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB but Mac OS only detect 5MB and display setting 1280x1024 though I have 1080p 27-inch monitor connected.

Any idea how to fix my display settings?

post-1965542-0-08594700-1486188396_thumb.jpg

post-1965542-0-69526300-1486188406_thumb.jpg