Trusted Computing for Mac OS X

Alessandro17

6 posts in this topic

No TPM for You! Next!

At the time of this writing (October 2006), the newest Apple computer models, such as the MacPro and the revised MacBook Pro, do not contain an onboard TPM. Theoretically, Apple could bring the TPM back, perhaps, if there were enough interest (after all, it is increasingly common to find TPMs in current notebook computers), but that's another story.

OH MY GOD!

THIS IS REALLY A GREAT, UNEXPECTED NEWS!

Apple is dropping TPM support in her latest Macintosh products!

What the hell is happening? What does Apple think?

Maybe she want to use only the "Tamper-resistent" code?

Or maybe she's planning something that we don't know?

Sherry Haibara

Excuse me for being skeptical, but when the first x86 dev systems came out, people were saying there was no TPM too; and then the Mac zealots said "ok it has a TPM, but it doesn't USE it." Both those statements were incorrect.

I'll believe this when I see high res pictures of a Macbook Pro or Mac Pro motherboard and don't find any TPM chip on it.

Excuse me for being skeptical, but when the first x86 dev systems came out, people were saying there was no TPM too; and then the Mac zealots said "ok it has a TPM, but it doesn't USE it." Both those statements were incorrect.

I'll believe this when I see high res pictures of a Macbook Pro or Mac Pro motherboard and don't find any TPM chip on it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pr...ge-1-First-Look

Have a look, I don't know what to look for.