Change RES Problems

tisi

10 posts in this topic

Hey everybody,

first of all big thanks to everyone here, some of you are doing an amazing job. But unfortunately i haven´t read anything that helps me:

I can´t change the Resolution in OSX, im stuck with 800x600 (quite ugly).The list of resolutions available is long, even my preferred 1280x1024, but when i switch my Monitor loses signal and i get a black screen. even worse, i can´t boot again. i have an Sapphire X1800GTO and installed the x1x000 patches on the JAS 10.4.7 ... Any ideas on this one? OSX runs great (and unbelievable fast`) on my machine, but 800x600 is quite unusable :-(

Ok thanks a lot. But unfortunately it has the same effect. I replaced the numbers with my Vendor ID, and as soon as i hit another resolution the screen goes off and im stuck again. Do i need a 10.4.5 Driver? How can i go back to 800x600 without reinstalling OSX. I would really love to use it, but this resolution thingy is freakin me out!

Thanks in advance

You will have to delete the preference files containing your settings:

Boot into single user mode (boot option -s after hitting F8)

At the command prompt, type:

mount -uw /
rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
rm -rf /Users/(your-user-name)/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*
rm -rf /Users/(your-user-name)/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.preference.displays*
reboot

is there a chance the ATI issue will be fixed soon?

Follow the Boris link in my signature. Posting #1 is a manual method to modify your files and posting #3 takes you to an installer. They work in slightly different ways and people have seen different results. There will be 2 installers for download. Use the older one. Also, it includes an uninstaller in case of trouble. Be sure to read the instructions in the installer itself (and maybe print them out) on how to recover if there are problems.

And does anyone know why my other SATA drives don´t appear in OSX on my gigabyte DS4 ?

OSX only supports Intel and VIA SATA controller chips. If you have a different controller, OSX doesn't have a driver for it. Also, if your other drives are formatted in NTFS, then OSX may not mount them. This can be overcome, but OSX can only read an NTFS drive, it cannot write to one.

Guys, amazing! I´m actually writing this from Safari :-) sweet 1280x1024... i had to disconnect my 2nd TFT to get the first one to work with the 3.2 Driver...Thanks again.

So next one will be sound :-) i´ll see if it works.

One issue remains: my other NTFS disks (i know - read only) are on the same intel SATA controller as my OSX disk...still not appearing? Also my 2nd Mac Drive has disappeared?

Thanks again!