tluck

[GUIDE] Lenovo T460/T470 macOS with Clover

1,040 posts in this topic

Well to start, my x1 carbon 4th gen runs with the same EFI folder from T460 but x1 carbon's performance lags especially when accessing Apps. I could clone my T460 SSD and run it on my x1 and apply the necessary patches there once I finish copying the partitions. 

Advertisement
On 1/3/2019 at 7:52 PM, nijhawank said:

My backlight adjustment is working but not all brightness levels are present before the sleep (just between 70 - 100%). After the sleep cycle, all brightness levels are present.

From the WEG documentation...

• igfxcflbklt=1 boot argument (and enable-cfl-backlight-fix property) to enable CFL backlight patch
  • applbkl=0 boot argument to disable AppleBacklight.kext patches for IGPU

Isn't the boot flag (igfxcflbklt and related property in config.plist) only for Coffylake? T460 is Skylake and I assume that applbkl=0 boot entry controls for everything other than coffylake and I assume that by default WEG applies the backlight patches and applblk=0 is only needed to disable backlight patches?

Is the understanding correct?

Hello,

I don't have any brightness controls under 10.13.6, do you know how to fix it ?

1 hour ago, aleixsr said:

Hello,

I don't have any brightness controls under 10.13.6, do you know how to fix it ?

I never tried 10.13.6 (directly Mojave) but I guess that should not make any difference.

Assuming standard knowledge of doing things in hackintosh...

Use the latest Lilu, WhateverGreen (put in /Library/Extensions). Take SSDT-PNLF.aml (put in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched) from Rahabman's AppleBacklightFixup package.

Your DSDT must not have any brightness fix. 

If you have coffelake cpu, then use the config parameters in clover config.

the more recent Whatevergreen replaces AppleBacklightInjector.

- you need to make sure the _UID in SSDT-PNLF.aml is set to 16 (0x10) vs 10 (0xA)

- remove AppleBacklightInjector.kext

- remove levels patch in config.plist  - so it wont change level range for 0-1000

Edited by tluck

Well to start, my x1 carbon 4th gen runs with the same EFI folder from T460 but x1 carbon's performance lags especially when accessing Apps. I could clone my T460 SSD and run it on my x1 and apply the necessary patches there once I finish copying the partitions. -------------Edit.  

Forgot to add that my x1 carbon is running but with no audio. I used the same clover files from my T460. I recompiled the screen brightness kext and that's working fine. Where's the repo with the files you're talking about?

@Blaggah this thread guide refers to this file repo: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T460-Clover

- cloning your macOS HD is a great approach. i just did that very thing for my 2 systems to get them in sync.

each system has is own folder for their specific config files, ACPI, kexts - CLOVER/OEM/<board_id>/... 

- so everything works on the X1 but the audio? what is the audio codec? AppleALC supports so many codecs now but the config.plist file may be setting an invalid layout.

23 hours ago, tluck said:

the more recent Whatevergreen replaces AppleBacklightInjector.   Ok, I updated Whatevergreen v1.2.6 and Lilu v1.3.1

- you need to make sure the _UID in SSDT-PNLF.aml is set to 16 (0x10) vs 10 (0xA) .  I used your zip file that is OK, nothing changed

- remove AppleBacklightInjector.kext . Done in /Library/Extensions and in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

- remove levels patch in config.plist  - so it wont change level range for 0-1000 I don't know how to do it

Hi, I marked in bold what I did to make brightness control work, thank you very much.

Now my issue is that when I try to sleep computer it reboots, do you know what can I check?

Thank you.

Edited by aleixsr

sorry. i just updated the zip (now) to have the latest files. so maybe you should pull it down again. 

@blaggah - is your audio CX11852 - (lhttps://www.cnet.com/products/thinkpad-x1-carbon-4th-generation/)

not sure AppleALC support this codec, but you can use the general VoodooHDA to get audio.

Edited by tluck

7 hours ago, tluck said:

@Blaggah this thread guide refers to this file repo: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T460-Clover

- cloning your macOS HD is a great approach. i just did that very thing for my 2 systems to get them in sync.

each system has is own folder for their specific config files, ACPI, kexts - CLOVER/OEM/<board_id>/... 

- so everything works on the X1 but the audio? what is the audio codec? AppleALC supports so many codecs now but the config.plist file may be setting an invalid layout.

Thanks tluck, i took your advice and i managed to run patched the dsdt on my x1 and i deleted all the other ssdt in patched folder. I don't know what codec it is, but im assuming it's the same for the T470. Because it uses the same layout id as my x1 carbon 4th gen. Now the lappy doesn't seem to lag.. Now my audio is working but screen brightness doesn't seem to be working anymore. I only have DSDT.aml in patched folder now.. Do i need the PLNF ssdt in there as well?  Because it was working prior to removing the files and patched dsdt.

@tluck I did just that and now i have screen brightness working again and my X1 Carbon doesn't feel sluggish at all.  I'm so glad i got this thing working.  Thank you for all the help m8.. One quick question though, the x1 has a password where it needs to be typed on cold boot, i tried disabling it but it doesn't work. 

----------Edited.. I downloaded the latest kext from Rehabman and it's working properly now.  I must say that my X1 Carbon is now a success.. Thanks guys..

Edited by Blaggah

10 hours ago, aleixsr said:

Hello,

using High Sierra I got a reboot when I try to enter sleep mode, what can I check?

Thank you.

Huge thanks for the guide first of all. It allowed me to have a fully working install of Sierra on my T460s. 

I upgraded to High Sierra then Mojave which both mostly worked. Right now I'm dealing with the same issues as quoted - sleep and shutdown just reboot the machine. I also have an issue with the trackpad - if I track my finger slowly across the trackpad it works ok. But quicker movements aren't recognized. So, swiping quickly across the trackpad to get from one side of the screen to the other only move the cursor a small bit.

Also for some reason bluetooth isn't recognized. Wifi is.  

All the above issues weren't issues in Sierra. Just in High Sierra and Mojave

*EDIT*

Tried Clover 4844 and 4849, tried with release 01.17.2019 and 10.12.2018, tried 4 different USB drives, used ACPI files from my laptop/BIOS and the ones included in the releases

Edited by osmac

1 hour ago, osmac said:

Huge thanks for the guide first of all. It allowed me to have a fully working install of Sierra on my T460s. 

I upgraded to High Sierra then Mojave which both mostly worked. Right now I'm dealing with the same issues as quoted - sleep and shutdown just reboot the machine. I also have an issue with the trackpad - if I track my finger slowly across the trackpad it works ok. But quicker movements aren't recognized. So, swiping quickly across the trackpad to get from one side of the screen to the other only move the cursor a small bit.

Also for some reason bluetooth isn't recognized. Wifi is.  

All the above issues weren't issues in Sierra. Just in High Sierra and Mojave

*EDIT*

Tried Clover 4844 and 4849, tried with release 01.17.2019 and 10.12.2018, tried 4 different USB drives, used ACPI files from my laptop/BIOS and the ones included in the releases

Hello, 

bluetooth is working ok for me (i'm using High Sierra), you can't see your bluetooth device?

Did you upgraded High Sierra to Mojave using App Store and using same EFI folder? 

On 1/18/2019 at 2:33 PM, Blaggah said:

@tluck I did just that and now i have screen brightness working again and my X1 Carbon doesn't feel sluggish at all.  I'm so glad i got this thing working.  Thank you for all the help m8.. One quick question though, the x1 has a password where it needs to be typed on cold boot, i tried disabling it but it doesn't work. 

----------Edited.. I downloaded the latest kext from Rehabman and it's working properly now.  I must say that my X1 Carbon is now a success.. Thanks guys..

@Blaggah can you please share your EFI folder? I've a friend with X1 Carbon also. Thank you.

Edited by aleixsr

17 minutes ago, aleixsr said:

Hello, 

bluetooth is working ok for me (i'm using High Sierra), you can't see your bluetooth device?

Did you upgraded High Sierra to Mojave using App Store and using same EFI folder? 

Tried with same EFI folder that I used with Sierra, and using the folder from a fresh install. There's no bluetooth option in System Preferences or in Network. It's strange since it worked fine in Sierra. If I use Time Machine to go back to Sierra everything is perfect. Honestly I only upgraded so I could get the latest version of Xcode. I'm not a dev but I'd like to be one day

I could attach whatever files anyone would need that might help me narrow down the issues

sorry i can't be of more help on T460 upgrades.

reboot on sleep could a problem with USB? but looking in the system log may help understand what is not right?

i cant recall if there is a need to patch to allow more than 15 usb ports or not. 

if so, they are not in the config for High Sierra or Mojave - same for any BRCM patches. 

Maybe if someone has a working T460 on HS or Mojave they can share their EFI and I will retrofit the patches to the repo.

@osmac - what is your BT device? meaning do you have a replacement Broadcom for example?

On 1/23/2019 at 3:39 AM, aleixsr said:

@Blaggah can you please share your EFI folder? I've a friend with X1 Carbon also. Thank you.

I'll send you the EFI folder sometime this weekend. I'm out of town and don't have my X1 Carbon with me. It's 99% stable, just have issues with battery indication not syncing properly sometimes. Other than that, it's rock solid.
@aleixsr here's the clover from my x1 carbon.. I only have the DSDT and plnf.ssdt inside patched folder as they are the only ones i need for my machine. if you friend's x1 is the same as mine, he could use the same dsdt or else i'd recommend patching one himself for his machine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X1 Carbon 4thGen CLOVER.zip

Edited by Blaggah

On 1/23/2019 at 8:26 PM, tluck said:

sorry i can't be of more help on T460 upgrades.

reboot on sleep could a problem with USB? but looking in the system log may help understand what is not right?

i cant recall if there is a need to patch to allow more than 15 usb ports or not. 

if so, they are not in the config for High Sierra or Mojave - same for any BRCM patches. 

Maybe if someone has a working T460 on HS or Mojave they can share their EFI and I will retrofit the patches to the repo.

@osmac - what is your BT device? meaning do you have a replacement Broadcom for example?

Hello here it is:

- EFI folder

- backtrace.log kernel panic when trying to sleep

Thank you!

EFI.zip

backtrace.log

@aleixsr

darn. thought i did this already - but i just cleaned up the clean/wake scripts to remove the kextunload - this is not needed.

in fact you can decide if you need to totally remove the /etc/rc.sleep /etc/rc.wake scripts.

but for now just remove the kextunload/kextload lines in these files: /etc/rc.sleep /etc/rc.wake

Hi all,

Been following this thread closely and managed to get my t470s system on 10.14.3 quite easily with the files from 1st post and a few edits for my system.

Items still having issue on

- battery percentage not reading correctly. Shows in menu bar ok but false read (0%)

- Screen brightness 

- backlight

Tried to do some patching myself but totally borked machine :) pays to do incremental back ups.

Attached problem reporting files - may I ask those in the know with more knowledge than myself to take a look an offer any advice / point in the right direction? t470s is a solid machine and believe only a bit of fine tuning is required.

debug_1146.zip

Many thanks

Edited by Dan_Marshall

On 1/24/2019 at 10:41 PM, tluck said:

@aleixsr

darn. thought i did this already - but i just cleaned up the clean/wake scripts to remove the kextunload - this is not needed.

in fact you can decide if you need to totally remove the /etc/rc.sleep /etc/rc.wake scripts.

but for now just remove the kextunload/kextload lines in these files: /etc/rc.sleep /etc/rc.wake

Yeah, it is now working fine!

Thank you very much.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:00 AM, Blaggah said:

Thanks tluck, i took your advice and i managed to run patched the dsdt on my x1 and i deleted all the other ssdt in patched folder. I don't know what codec it is, but im assuming it's the same for the T470. Because it uses the same layout id as my x1 carbon 4th gen. Now the lappy doesn't seem to lag.. Now my audio is working but screen brightness doesn't seem to be working anymore. I only have DSDT.aml in patched folder now.. Do i need the PLNF ssdt in there as well?  Because it was working prior to removing the files and patched dsdt.

Hi Blaggah, I have a question for you but first: hats off to you tluck, for setting all of this up and persisting to help all us mortals without even having the hardware available anymore!

So, the question, Blaggah: I also have a X1C4 and have everything working quite nicely but in terms of audio all I have is speakers and headphone working proper. Microphone does not work, neither internally nor externally. Can you please confirm that your statement 'audio is working' also covers the microphone? I have tried the EFI you posted and with that, on my machine, audio only works for output.

Apart from the audio, everything is very smooth. The X1 is a very nice machine; I triple boot it from the NVMe SSD (MacOS, Win10, Ubuntu). The looks on people's faces...

7 hours ago, DrDude said:

Hi Blaggah, I have a question for you but first: hats off to you tluck, for setting all of this up and persisting to help all us mortals without even having the hardware available anymore!

So, the question, Blaggah: I also have a X1C4 and have everything working quite nicely but in terms of audio all I have is speakers and headphone working proper. Microphone does not work, neither internally nor externally. Can you please confirm that your statement 'audio is working' also covers the microphone? I have tried the EFI you posted and with that, on my machine, audio only works for output.

Apart from the audio, everything is very smooth. The X1 is a very nice machine; I triple boot it from the NVMe SSD (MacOS, Win10, Ubuntu). The looks on people's faces...

I can confirm that on my T470, audio in, from built in mic, and from a USB headset work fine. I have done a number of internation WebEX meetings with zero issues. 

I am injecting 11, 

<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <integer>11</integer>
        </dict>

Cheers,

Scott.

Thanks kolodzieski! Unfortunately us X1C4 owners have a very exotic audio chip, a CX20753/4, not a ALC3268 like in a T470. Only layout id 3 and 21 is supported, with 21 for some exotic LG laptop.

That said, I have made the most peculiar progress. I picked up my rusty programming skills and compiled AppleALC myself. As a starting point I have simply copied the layout 3 configuration files to another layout id (I picked 77) and added that to AppleALC and my config. I figured I'd fiddle with the copy to try to get the mic working. Surprise, surprise: it works without any fiddling. I wish I understood, but I totally don't. I have some learning to do ;-)