Hackintosh Newbie - Working System... Except Audio

5 posts in this topic

So I am a complete newbie, but just built my first Hackintosh. Everything works great... probably the fastest Mac I've ever owned! (and I've owned A TON of Macs)

I decided on a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 board w/Soundblaster Core Audio. I love the board and sound when running Windows 7, but cannot get audio working in El Capitan. 

I'm supposed to be using the Creative-CA0132 codec (already have the proper files) but am so new at this, am not a hacker or coder in any way, shape or form, have tried everything... apparently i need explicit directions on how to get my audio working... like I said, I've tried EVERYTHING. Also need to know the best app(s) for getting the proper codec installed and audio working. 

Haven't tried AppleHDA patcher, yet... but have tried everything else, I think. Couldn't figure out how to use AppleHDA patcher after downloading anyway.

Sorry for my "rookie-ness"... I definitely exhaust all avenues before asking for help. At this point, they're ALL exhausted. I'm sure if I can build a PC, get Windows 7 and 10 running correctly, install a second drive and get El Capitan running, I'm probably just missing something when it comes to missing audio on my El Capitan drive..

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks much!

Did you test VoodooHDA?

VoodooHDA 2.8.9    

Yes I did. It was the first thing I tried. Like I said, from what I'm to understand the ONLY thing that will work properly with the Soundblaster audio on my Gaming 7 board is the Creative-CA0132 codec.

Although, at this point I will try just about anything. How would I install the VooDooHDA 2.8.9 codec alone without screwing up the rest of my system that is running so well?

Thanks for your response, and all future responses.

You have a whole thread here covering your motherboard. VoodooHDA works according to them and they have AppleHDA fixes as well.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309729-gigabyte-z170x-gaming-7-success-hackintosh/

Yes... I am more familiar with that exact thread than any other on the topic at hand. I have tried following Andres ZeroCross' directions, but with no success. Hence, the reason I said "I must be missing something."

Also, the other respond-ee in this thread mentioned installing VoodooHDA, and Andres instructs to install Creative-CA0132 instead.

Nevertheless, I re-installed the VoodooHDA kext (what I used for audio when first setting up my Hackintosh) and what do you know... I NOW HAVE AUDIO! Pretty decent audio at that! :-D 

So thanks to you folks who responded... I'm glad I decided to try the reinstall of the Voodoo kext. Have no clue why it didn't work initially. 

Now, I'm having the "multiple instances of boot partitions, or in my case, drives" and after so many occurrences my system refuses to boot to the El Capitan drive. I know how to get it to boot again, but it's a pain doing the "cfg boot dump" procedure for multiple instances whenever this happens. So now I am searching for a permanent way too stop this from happening.

This Hackintosh thing is very cool, I have the fastest Mac ever, but what a pain in the rear it decides to be at times. Anyone know of a completely stable Hackintosh at this point... no problems after initial setup?

Anyway, thanks once again, folks. I appreciate any and all help.