So I have an HP Envy Notebook (15t-q400) which features two Band & Olufsen speakers (tweeters) and one subwoofer - the audio codec used is the ALC290 (aka the ALC 3241). I'm running on Mojave. So far I've tried AppleALC with Lilu and have no luck - the audio plays through the headphones - although very poorly - but not the external speakers at all, and I've tried everything short of writing my own XML file for it. So I've decided to go for using the VoodooHDA kext.
While VoodooHDA sees my devices immediately, they are strangely configured, and I cannot use the subwoofer or even see it listed as a device. This is my main problem.
As I'm aware the proper configuration of the laptop is:
Three speakers - one left, one right, and one subwoofer module
One 3.5mm headphone jack
An internal microphone for the webcam (this is one I'm not sure about, I don't know if it is two separate microphones or one as there are two holes in the display chasis)
In my devices while using the default VoodooHDA kext, I have
Speaker (Analogue) - Type= Apple speaker port <--- only tweeters work
Headphones (Back Right) - Type= Headphone Port <--- this seems to work well
Microphone (Black Right) - Type: Microphone Port <---- this works a little, sounds like it's muffled, not from the webcam
Microphone (ATAPI) - Type: Microphone Port <--- this works well, is definitely the webcam microphone
Here is my Pin Config (with disabled devices not ignored as I think the subwoofer is one of those devices):
Here is my Pin Config for the photo above (disabled devices NOT ignored, fix not applied).
01371c00 01371d00 01371e00 01371f40 01871c10 01871d01 01871e17 01871f90 01a71c20 01a71d10 01a71ea1 01a71f04 01d71c2d 01d71d81 01d71e75 01d71f40 01271c30 01271d01 01271ea3 01271f99 01571c40 01571d10 01571e21 01571f04 01471cf0 01471d11 01471e11 01471f41 01671cf0 01671d11 01671e11 01671f41 01771cf0 01771d11 01771e11 01771f41 01971cf0 01971d11 01971e11 01971f41 01b71cf0 01b71d11 01b71e11 01b71f41 01e71cf0 01e71d11 01e71e11 01e71f41
Here is my Pin Config for the photo above (disabled devices ignored, fix not applied):
01871c10 01871d01 01871e17 01871f90 01a71c20 01a71d10 01a71ea1 01a71f04 01271c30 01271d01 01271ea3 01271f99 01571c40 01571d10 01571e21 01571f04
I have been attempting to add the subwoofer as a node in the Info.plist of VoodooHDA but can't seem to get it to work (and frankly I'm not sure which device it is!) . I've tried adding both NID 19 and 20 into my Info.plist file for VoodooHDA but neither have done any good. Am I supposed to add the NID and PinDefault to the Info.plist AFTER Pin Configurator's fix? I was under the impression this only helped with a patched AppleHDA which VoodooHDA overwrites.
Thanks for all the help, I hope I conveyed this clearly!
I've attached my codec dump as well.
I have decent sound and nice volume after installing apple.alc with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and then rebooting the machine, but after the next reboot is my max volume very low I can barely hear something from Spotify with max volume and on YouTube nothing.
I have already tryed it to reinstall the kext a few times but after the second reboot is my sound always gone ...
Someone any ideas ?
Hardware: i5 7500, Msi B250m pro vdh, currently using the GPU from the i5, (no Mojave driver for my 1050ti).
Hi guys i am a small developer, i really like to use my sound blaster cards on my machines and i love also coding, so when i find the source code for the kx audio driver on git hub and then Eugene, the creator of kx audio driver decided to no longer maintain the project, i decided to start working on a mod of this driver.
With my mod, created starting from the sources of the last version of kx audio driver, and also by using apple developer documentation for pci and audio drivers as reference, i am working to achieve 2 things mainly: get all the cards supported by the driver to work with all the recent versions os macOS and add support for other cards that are not officially supported by the driver that works or could, but needs to be more properly supported.
This driver is made to support cards based on the E-mu 10k1, 10k2 and similars (like what is used by audigy rx and audigy 4 cards).
Supported cards are:
- most of the sound blaster live!, live! 5.1 and live! 5.1 digital series
- sound blaster 512
- sound blaster 256
- other creative and e-mu sound cards based on the 10k1 chip (cards with the ES1370/ES1371/ES1372/ES1373 chips are not supported)
- sound blaster Audigy series (1 st gen)
- sound blaster Audigy 2 and audigy 2 zs series
- E-MU cards based on the 10k2 sound chip
- Some Audigy 4 cards (SB0610 only) and the audigy 4 pro
- Sound blaster Audigy RX (sb0155)
- other creative and e-mu cards based on the (10k2, 10k2,5 and CA10300 based cards)
NOT supported cards:
- Any ISA Sound card
- ES1370/ES1371/ES1372/ES1373 based sound cards
- CMI8738/CMI8788 based cards
- Any CA0106 based card and cards with similar architectures (like sound blaster live! 24 bit, sound blaster audigy SE SB0570, audigy LS and similars, but audigy SA is supported)
- Any sound blaster x-fi (some of them works on macOS using a modified version of voodoo hda)
- Any sound blaster recon3D
- Any sound blaster Z/ZS/ZX and similar series
- Any sound blaster AE5 series
In the time being the things i have modded or added with this mod are:
- increased the simple buffer frames number with different values for emu10k1 based cards and emu10k2 based cards (including recent audigy 4 and rx) to reduce and all the audio cracking issues and possibly fixing all of them on a lot of cards
- added a more proper support for the pci express sound blaster audigy rx (which basically is an audigy 4 with a pcie bridge chip)
- added more fancy names for the cards in the settings and other menus (so the name will be, for example, SB live! 5.1 SB0060 instead of kx SB0060 [e880] witch was shown in the original driver)
- added support to sample rate changing and added lots of sample rates (from 8 khz to 176,4 khz) to accomodate any possible usecase (note that 10k1 sound cards are limited up to 48khz sample rate, and 10k2 based cards are limited to 176,4 khz because of issues getting 192 khz to work, for now the driver goes up to 176,4 khz for such cards)
- added boot args to manage the driver:
Boot args to use with the kx audio driver mod:
-kx_disable or -kxdisable or -kxoff
This will prevent the driver from doing any initialization work, so the driver is basically disabled,
use it to boot your ssytem in case the driver is giving you issues and kernel panics while you are
trying to boot/using your system, so you are able to remove this driver or replace it with another
version of it or to do some truble shooting.
-kx_debug or -kxdebug or -kxspec
Will show more debug info about the card, mainly the i/o port address and the kind of bus that it uses
-kx_exp_deb or -kx_beta or -kxbeta
Will enable experimental and probably not working or unstable features like showing inputs for the card
or 192 khz sampling rate, use it only for testing and debug purposes, this may likely cause instability
and problems in the everyday usage! Use it at your own risk!
-kx_original or -kxoriginal
This will basically turn off almost all the mods of this mod, so the driver will come to work as it was
before modding it, this can be usefoul as a "safe mode" like feture to have a working driver in case of
problems with features of the mod, so using this means no crsking issues improvements, only 48 khz sample
rate and only features of the non-modded kx audio driver for mac os x
- created a script file to use with the driver for installing the driver and also to load/unload, update, repolace it and it's libraries.
What i'd like to implement but i don't know how to do:
- I'd like mainly to add a more proper support to the pci bridge chip of the audigy rx,
- have audio inputs working,
- fix the support when using more than one card, to get all the cards shown in the settings and other menus,
- have the gameport/midi port of older cards to be used in mac os as a midi in/out
If other developers would like to join and help me, you can, and also an hand from other people with testing and feedback will be nice.
link for the kext only (if you have clover put it in [your clover efi folder]/clover/kexts/[your macOS version]/ so it will not be deleted when updating macOS):
- download from the downloads section: kX Audio Driver Mod by ITzTravelInTime 1.01
- external download: https://dl.dropboxus...Driver.kext.zip
link for the installer pack (the best way to install it, but you have to reinstall it when you upgrade macOS, remeber to fix kext permitions and rebuild the kernelcache if you want to remove the kext from it's install directory without using the unistall feature of the provvided script):
- download: https://dl.dropboxus...aller pack.zip
Source code from Git Hub:
- github repo: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/kx-audio-driver
NOTE: Some system because of some problems with the HPET may need to use FixHPET in clover and to install the kext in /System/Library/Extensions or to do other kind of hpet mods to run the driver properly, but only on some systems, most systems should not require it