nmano

[Guide] Mac OSX 10.12 and 10.13 with X99 Broadwell-E family and Haswell-E family

2,141 posts in this topic

Yes i mean bios

V4 cpu are supported only by newest bios

With many asus x99 motherboard you have the chance to update bios via flashback button, so you can flash bios also without have cpu or ram inserted very useful if your motherboard has an old bios that not support your cpu

Advertisement

SUR45wf.png

They're server components that Apple uses/markets for durability, rather than performance. Again, the performance for consumer use just isn't there (and shouldn't be the selling point). They're also cheap because they're not that desirable for most consumers (unless you're building a work horse or "upgrading" a Mac Pro). You're better off going with consumer grade components as there will be a stronger second-hand (used) market and you'll have more choices in terms of hardware compatibility. 

This is the reason why most people are hating on Apple at the moment. They keep using sub-par components that sacrifice performance and compatibility for stability and low-energy usage. In other words, don't expect a speedy system, instead expect a some-what slow (most consumer SOFTWARE isn't yet optimize for more than 4 cores), yet durable system.

Gigabyte tends to be the most compatible and easiest with Hackintosh's. 

I've just been using Asus motherboards since I've been building computers(10 years now). However, this will be the first year I've switched over to a Unix system, and as far as setting up a Mac OS has been, it's been a 3+ month battle. If I were to build another, with Mac OS in mind, I'd go for a Gigabyte board.ì

Do you think that Xeon has no performance???? I would like you to see performances i've now with my Xeon compared to my 5960X.....

Do you think that Xeon has no performance???? I would like you to see performances i've now with my Xeon compared to my 5960X.....

I'll simplify my answer:

Xeon => train

i7 => car

A Xeon can carry a lot of people, at a relatively quick speed, over long distances, and be incredibly reliable.

An i7 can carry some amount of people, at an extremely quick speed, over short-medium distances, and be relatively reliable.

In other words, more people are buying cars than buying trains. They only need to carry some amount of people over short distances with the advantage of faster speeds. Also, cars are more wide-spread/compatible than trains when it comes to finding parts.

I'll simplify my answer:

Xeon => train

i7 => car

A Xeon can carry a lot of people, at a relatively quick speed, over long distances, and be incredibly reliable.

An i7 can carry some amount of people, at an extremely quick speed, over short-medium distances, and be relatively reliable.

In other words, more people are buying cars than buying trains. They only need to carry some amount of people over short distances with the advantage of faster speeds. Also, cars are more wide-spread/compatible than trains when it comes to finding parts.

Smart way of simplyfling and explain it.

I've found some good offers about MSI and Gygabite. Do you think I should give preference one or other.

The BIOS quick update is equal on all of them if Have get it right.

Smart way of simplyfling and explain it.

I've found some good offers about MSI and Gygabite. Do you think I should give preference one or other.

The BIOS quick update is equal on all of them if Have get it right.

I don't normally reference TonyMac, but they put together a great list of components you MAY want to reference:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/december/2016

If you're going for the simplest/smoothest installation, find a guide on InsanelyMac for the board you're interested in and make sure it's already been supported (with SSDTs/DSDTs...etc).

I don't normally reference TonyMac, ...

If you're going for the simplest/smoothest installation, find a guide on InsanelyMac for the board you're interested in and make sure it's already been supported (with SSDTs/DSDTs...etc).

I was going to use and following this thread for having support on installation, considered the X99 platform choosed, maybe I was supposing wrong?

I was going to use and following this thread for having support on installation, considered the X99 platform choosed, maybe I was supposing wrong?

The SSDTs/DSDTs/Clover Patches generated will be specific to the user's set up. For example, Asus X99 Deluxe is different than Asus X99 Pro USB3.1, and that's different from Asus X99-E WS, and that's different from the Asus X99-A...and so on. Also, the user's components: Graphics card, harddrives, bluetooth devices, wifi devices, external components...and so on, will almost always be different. So... 

Just because it's the same manufacturer and same board model, doesn't mean everything will be 1 to 1.

For example: Fergarth and I share the same board, but not the specs. He generated a DSDT for his board to match his specs. I can not use his DSDT because it doesn't recognize my graphics card nor my wifi device. Instead, I have to alter my OS's kext's to get a video signal (ADGP Fix -- which breaks the OS after 10.12) and a wifi device patch (BroadCom Wifi patcher -- which isn't recognized as a patch in 10.12.1+) to be recognized.

it's possible to connect Apple TV to X99 system?

Hi guys

If anybody fix graphics issue GTX 970 10.12.2/10.12.3?

I'll simplify my answer:

Xeon => train

i7 => car

Of course you don't really know Xeon performances if you compare it to a "train" against 5960x....ok it's your thought i don't want to continue. My experience is real because i owned a 5960x and now i own a xeon...and that's all!

Finally i tested your DSDT and it works. Thanks my friend.

Hi guys

What's the problem with GTX970?

Hi guys

Looks like this is a wide-spread issue? Just doing a google search, I see that some Apple (non-hackintosh) users are experiencing black screens as well?

Hi, nmano

I think it's possible by RJ45 and enable Server connected in prefs Finder

Hi guys

Often the black screens with the nVidia card is due to the SMbios (MacPro6,1)

To remedy this problem, it is advisable to use  AGDPfix

post-1181448-0-92642100-1482822189_thumb.png

Hi, nmano

I think it's possible by RJ45 and enable Server connected in prefs Finder

Often the black screens with the nVidia card is due to the SMbios (MacPro6,1)

To remedy this problem, it is advisable to use  AGDPfix

Hello all btw great topic :thumbsup_anim:

GB WindForce and having for sleep&blank screen issues darkwake=0, slide=0, dart=0, npci=0x3000, nvda_drv=1.

With 10.12.2 you could have two different of black screen with Nvidia web driver

black screen with display without signal or black screen with display with signal

in second state you can try to wait some second and maybe your system starts correctly

In my case Sierra web driver can produce different behavior also considering different patch applied in config.plist

Also with patches not graphics related

so user have to experiment by himself because a working solution for me maybe do not work in other system

:-)

so user have to experiment by himself because a working solution for me maybe do not work in other system

:-)

This is often true

Sometimes you have to adapt !!

Friendly  :wink_anim:

Hi guys

Hi friend nmano, I have the GTX 960 connected through DP, but it should be the same thing.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers.

For macOS 10.12.2 (16C68)

https://images.nvidi...15.10.25f02.pkg

or macOS 10.12.2 (16C67)

http://www.nvidia.co...px/113889/en-us

They work well too in versions 12.3 Beta (16D12b) and 12.3 Beta (16D17a).

But you have to change the NVDAStartupWeb.kext Info.plist from 16C to 16D and the previous Web Driver 12.2 works perfectly with 12.3 Betas.

When I had Sierra 12.2 installed, with the MacAISL, I changed in DSDT all names GFX0 to GFX1 and I already did two updates after that without black screens and no need to apply patches to AppleGraphicsControl.kext or use nv_disable=1

I do not use any patches in config.plist (Kernel / KextToPatch) for graphics.​

In “Boot Arguments” I just only use this darkwake=0 npci=0x3000 and in “System Parameters” InjectSystemID NvidiaWeb.

This was what I did and in my case/on my hardware it turned out perfectly! (Thanks PMheart)

Open IORegistryExplorer and search for 'display' and then check your current name of your graphics card.

Rename to GFX1 by editing DSDT: Open MaciASL and use command+F, then search for the name you got. e.g. GFX0, PEG0... etc. Just followed what IORegistryExplorer shown. Replace it all with GFX1 via TextReplacement.

post-1313347-0-50260200-1482850768_thumb.png

post-1313347-0-55533500-1482850783_thumb.png

Hi friend nmano, I have the GTX 960 connected through DP, but it should be the same thing.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers.

For macOS 10.12.2 (16C68)

https://images.nvidi...15.10.25f02.pkg

or macOS 10.12.2 (16C67)

http://www.nvidia.co...px/113889/en-us

They work well too in versions 12.3 Beta (16D12b) and 12.3 Beta (16D17a).

But you have to change the NVDAStartupWeb.kext Info.plist from 16C to 16D and the previous Web Driver 12.2 works perfectly with 12.3 Betas.

When I had Sierra 12.2 installed, with the MacAISL, I changed in DSDT all names GFX0 to GFX1 and I already did two updates after that without black screens and no need to apply patches to AppleGraphicsControl.kext or use nv_disable=1

I do not use any patches in config.plist (Kernel / KextToPatch) for graphics.​

In “Boot Arguments” I just only use this darkwake=0 npci=0x3000 and in “System Parameters” InjectSystemID NvidiaWeb.

This was what I did and in my case/on my hardware it turned out perfectly! (Thanks PMheart)

Open IORegistryExplorer and search for 'display' and then check your current name of your graphics card.

Rename to GFX1 by editing DSDT: Open MaciASL and use command+F, then search for the name you got. e.g. GFX0, PEG0... etc. Just followed what IORegistryExplorer shown. Replace it all with GFX1 via TextReplacement.

I tested this driver 10.12.3 Its worked.

Thank you.

I'll simplify my answer:

Xeon => train

i7 => car

This is nonsense.

A CPU is a CPU. I suggest you compare real world performance and differences instead of these odd analogies.

Most people are fine with an i7 because they would not benefit very much from the extreme parallelization that comes with many cores. If use the CC suite, then an 6-core or an 8-core with a high frequency is a great choice. If you game, then a quad core is plenty.

However, if you use applications that can use all of the cores, then a Xeon is the only choice to get more than 10-cores and is often less expensive (with ES/QS) for the performance you get.  I have even purchased quad-core Xeons before because it was the cheapest route into hyper threading and was the same frequency as the equivalent i7. 

It's as simple as asking yourself:

1. Would I benefit from 10+ cores? If you don't know, ask.

2. Can I find a CPU that provides better performance for less money than the equivalent i7?

If the answer is yes to both, then get a Xeon. They work with the same motherboards in most cases, the same BIOS updates, and can use regular RAM. There is no need to mystify a Xeon. It is just a CPU.

GTX_Injector NVWEB.kext

Drop in EFI

No need to change 6D.

GTX_Injector NVWEB.kext.zip

GTX_Injector NVWEB.kext

Drop in EFI

No need to change 6D.

Still no video signal (HDMI). Do I need to rename the DSDT GFX to something other than GFX1?

This is nonsense.

A CPU is a CPU. I suggest you compare real world performance and differences instead of these odd analogies.

Most people are fine with an i7 because they would not benefit very much from the extreme parallelization that comes with many cores. If use the CC suite, then an 6-core or an 8-core with a high frequency is a great choice. If you game, then a quad core is plenty.

However, if you use applications that can use all of the cores, then a Xeon is the only choice to get more than 10-cores and is often less expensive (with ES/QS) for the performance you get.  I have even purchased quad-core Xeons before because it was the cheapest route into hyper threading and was the same frequency as the equivalent i7. 

It's as simple as asking yourself:

1. Would I benefit from 10+ cores? If you don't know, ask.

2. Can I find a CPU that provides better performance for less money than the equivalent i7?

If the answer is yes to both, then get a Xeon. They work with the same motherboards in most cases, the same BIOS updates, and can use regular RAM. There is no need to mystify a Xeon. It is just a CPU.

Same point I was making:

If you need a workstation (something to run reliably 24/7, serve a website API, render a large 3-D animation, do BUSINESS-LEVEL activities) go Xeon.

If you need something to browse the internet, play some games, run low-level apps (do CONSUMER-LEVEL activities), go I3-I7.

I don't see the need to buy a train, if my plan is to only transport 2-4 passengers from home to work and work to home, once per day (buying a 10-core CPU if you only plan on watching cat videos). I'd buy a car (4-6 core) instead (with price in mind).

Then you might be asking, what if I want Xeon 4 or 6 core!??!?!?! 

Then you'd ask yourself: What socket is it using and is there an upgrade path in the future? What parts do I have available/that are compatible? What limitations will I run in to (locked cores vs unlocked) if I plan on overclocking? And what would be the cost per GHz or cost per core? And is there a second-hand market for the processor I'm buying if I plan on parting it out to build another one in the future?

https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/xeon-vs-i7i5-whats-difference/

So which is best for you? That answer depends on what you’ll be using your new PC for and the pricepoint at which you feel most comfortable. If gaming or home and office tasks are more your style where GHz speed is more important than copious numbers of cores, or workstation applications on a budget where value is critical, the i7’s and i5’s should be your choice. If you’re into moderate to high-end workstation PC usage like CAD design, 4K video, and 3D rendering where the benefits of ECC RAM, more cache, and possible dual CPUs are advantageous, we heartily recommend Xeon.

Still no video signal (HDMI). Do I need to rename the DSDT GFX to something other than GFX1?

I am waiting for new driver.

May be I use Display wire not HDMI

I am currently trying more things.... and I would love to get some advice regarding the frequency vectors to use.

What would you guys recommend for my hardware?

Thanks, Mike