Lenovo W510 (Nehalem i7-820QM) with El Capitan

3 posts in this topic

I got a challenge to install El Capiton on Lenovo W510 Nehalem/Clarksfield i7-820QM. I did some googling but I couldn't find any ready to use solution, so I had to put together various pieces of puzzle. I'm not going to write the guide how to install Mac OS on PC. There are plenty of very good instructions available. I'm sharing some useful information and files, which you might need to install El Capiton on Lenovo W510.

I used Clover legacy mode, as this machine does not support UEFI.

Success and issues

Most of hardware functioning fine including:

• Sleep/Wake/Restart/Shut Down
  • USB3
  • Speedstep
  • Ethernet

Please note that USB3 is not shown under System Information, but when you insert the drives, etc those are working as normal.

Unable to use

• Built in GSM
  • Factory Bluetooth and Wifi, you need a USB dongle, or to replace the factory card with appropriate item.

There is no way to get factory wifi to work, So you have to use usb dongle or replace the factory wifi card.

Also I recommend to replace factory HDD with some SSD drive, which gives some extra speed to your Hack. Fast boot, apps are faster, etc.

Hardware

There are several configurations available of Lenovo W510. The main difference is the processor, which all are Nehalem Clarksfield processors. The comp I hacked, came with Intel® CoreTM i7-820QM processor. Additionally you may have the dock.

• CPU/Chipset
    • Intel® CoreTM i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, 1333MHz FSB, 45W)
    • Intel® CoreTM i7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 1333MHz FSB, 45W)
    • Intel® CoreTM i7-920XM Processor (2.0GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 1333MHz FSB, 55W)
  • Memory
    • Up to 16GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 Memory
  • Graphics
    • NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 880M (1GB DDR3)

post-317285-0-59530900-1468082751_thumb.jpg

BIOS Setup

Please keep in mind that you have to modify BIOS setting properly, otherwise you might have some issues or even fault to install Mac OS X on this machine. 

Press F2 at boot until you get into BIOS settings. 

• Config
    • Power - Test with works best for you, I used Maximum Performance
    • CPU
      • Multi-Processing - Enabled
      • Hyper Threading - Enabled
      • Virtualisation - All options disabled
    • AMT - Enabled
    • Serial ATA - AHCI
  • Security
    • Memory Protection - Enabled
  • Startup
    • Boot - Set USB HDD the first item, the HDD as second
    • Boot mode - Diagnostics

Preparation of USB installer

Make sure that you have properly prepared you USB dongle. Repartition it if needed, make sure that you use MBR!

To boot Mac OS X installer on this laptop  you need a patched DSDT file, some kexts and proper Clover configuration file. I'm not going to instruct you a lot about Please check attached files to copy needed items. You will find all those files in attachment below. I have uploaded the entire CLOVER folder, but examine the content of folder carefully and use only those items you actually need (kexts, themes, config.plist, DSDT). Do not replace you CLOVER folder!

Use Clover Configuration tool to update Clover/config.plist file. On SMBIOS generate a new serial number, SmUUID, Board Serial number. Also make sure you update on RT variables section the ROM and MLB section accordingly. Make sure that you don't change the comp model! It has to be MacBookPro6,1, otherwise you get serious troubles.

Do not use USB3 port for installation! Use USB2 port, otherwise you wouldn't be able to install properly.

Post-Installation Tasks

There are some tasks you have to complete to get your Lenovo W510 run properly. 

[will continue]

• Like 2

Thank You Man,

What are your Hardware SPECS like Soundcard? Does it work for you?

I have similar Nehalem CPU hardware like you (i7-820QM) but no USB3 whatsoever and I bought that laptop back in 2010 it still works fine as of today.

There's no UEFI for the laptop but I can setup Clover legacy boot, GPT and NO MBR, dual boot with Windows 7, now 10

Thank You Man,

What are your Hardware SPECS like Soundcard? Does it work for you?

I have similar Nehalem CPU hardware like you (i7-820QM) but no USB3 whatsoever and I bought that laptop back in 2010 it still works fine as of today.

There's no UEFI for the laptop but I can setup Clover legacy boot, GPT and NO MBR, dual boot with Windows 7, now 10

Below is the screenshot of DCPIManager

post-317285-0-59530900-1468082751.jpg