Mork vom Ork

Patch for using NVMe under macOS Sierra is ready.

1,356 posts in this topic

Advertisement

I am attempting to use an OWC Aura Pro X SSD NVMe (Silicon Motion pci126f,2260) on a a PCIe adapter in a MacPro1,1 running MacOS 10.11.6 (15G22010). I built the kext in patch_nvme adding the devid to the script and using the spoof; installed it disabling SIP and modifying the attributes (correctly I think): sudo chmod -R 755 and sudo chown -R root:wheel.

Unfortunately System Information/Hardware/PCI shows that the NVM Express Controller device is present but that the driver is not installed.

Can someone walk me through the troubleshooting to determine why the kext will not load? Thanks.

Edited by vicsandr

I am running Sierra on a Mac Pro 5,1 with an NVMe boot volume.  I have been using this patch for both the 2018-005 and 2018-006 security updates.  Based on the previous comment from InsanelyMac Legend I thought I'd just try running the 2019-001 security update.  As expected, my Mac Pro 5,1 crashed on startup.  I then booted from a different volume, and deleted the newly created "IONVMeFamily.kext".  I rebooted from my NVMe volume, and it worked OK.  So it seems that it is OK to just run the 2019-001 security update, and then boot from a different volume and delete the IONVMeFamily.kext file.  Sierra 10.12.6 with the 2019-001 security update seems to work OK with the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6_sec2018-006.kext file once the IONVMeFamily.kext is deleted.

Hi,

I updated my original post about the Plextor/LiteOn/Hynix patch with a new Find/Replace pattern, as the underlying code seems to be changing in the upcoming 10.14.4 (judging by the betas).

The new pattern is backwards compatible with older OSX versions, so I recommend everyone using this patch to change it with the new variant, in order not to lose booting ability when the 10.14.4 update arrives.