Jump to content
MacPeet

[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

1,546 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, polyzargone said:

You can't just copy the entire EFI partition, you also need to install Clover in Legacy mode (boot0af or boot0ss) on it. Then, you can replace - not merge - the installed CLOVER folder with your own CLOVER folder.

Of course, you were right. Installed Clover, THEN copied over the EFI folder, and everything is working like a charm. Sorry to have been an idiot, and thanks for setting me straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Hello all, 

I need assistance in getting my GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 GV-N1030OC-2GI 2GB running. 

I've installed the latest Nvidia Web Driver and it's set to use Nvidia Graphic Driver but the video is choppy so I'm assuming its not running with acceleration.  It's only reporting 7mb of vram.

Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixUp are in my kext folder.  NvidiaWeb is set to true in clover.  Tried with and without nvda_drv=1.

Attached is my clover folder.  Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i3oVlwahKW4x1moiU3QkoKsHcUL3lhtS

 

@chris1111, I looked at your config file for the GT1030 but I'm wondering why you have a fake id set for ATI?  Using your DSDT, it causes a no signal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@9000RPM AFAIK you only need the WebDrivers, nothing more. Booting with nvda_drv=1 is obsolete, 

The fake id for ATI is for the 5450 and shouldn't affect your nvidia card as long as you don't inject ATI. 

Furthermore (not related to your question), you're using NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, but why? You're patching it in your config.plist already.
Same goes for RTC

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

@9000RPM AFAIK you only need the WebDrivers, nothing more. Booting with nvda_drv=1 is obsolete, 

The fake id for ATI is for the 5450 and shouldn't affect your nvidia card as long as you don't inject ATI. 

Furthermore (not related to your question), you're using NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, but why? You're patching it in your config.plist already.
Same goes for RTC

@ricoc90, I don't see a NullCPUPowermanagemnt.kext in my kext folder.  I do have "AppleIntelCPUM" checked in clover otherwise I get this error message and hangs there.j46Xyd7.jpg

It worked fine without this back in El Capitan.

 

9 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

 

 

4 hours ago, polyzargone said:

@polyzargone Thank you but using your DSDT, SSDT and config, I get a few errors.

1st. Your config doesn't have appleintelcpumanagement checked so I always get that error message.  see above image.
2nd.  Enabling appleintelcpumanagement solves the boot problem and using your DSDT, I see a line about the Nvidia web driver being loaded but after clover, I get a no signal.
3rd.  Using my original DSDT, I don't see Nvidia web driver being loaded the login screen loads but it's only 7mb of vram.

 

Also, not sure what else I need from your linked Clover folder but Drivers64UEFI folder is missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 9000RPM said:

1st. Your config doesn't have appleintelcpumanagement checked so I always get that error message.  see above image.
2nd.  Enabling appleintelcpumanagement solves the boot problem and using your DSDT, I see a line about the Nvidia web driver being loaded but after clover, I get a no signal.
3rd.  Using my original DSDT, I don't see Nvidia web driver being loaded the login screen loads but it's only 7mb of vram.

 

Also, not sure what else I need from your linked Clover folder but Drivers64UEFI folder is missing.

1st. Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't need AppleIntelCPUM in config.plist nor NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your CPU should have native support.

Anyway, if it works then use one of them or both.

2nd. 'No signal' probably mean that SMBios is wrong. Optiplex series used to work with iMac10,1 but it looks like that those who have NVIDIA GPUs has this problem. I guess using iMac12,2 or possibly iMac14,2 will solve the issue.

As for the missing Driver64UEFI folder, I'd say it's a recurrent mistake in every Optiplex 7xx/9xx I've seen so far since none of these models has a UEFI Bios. Therefore, the Drivers64UEFI folder is never used so it's not needed :P.

Edited by polyzargone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

1st. Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't need AppleIntelCPUM in config.plist nor NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your CPU should have native support.

Anyway, if it works then use one of them or both.

2nd. 'No signal' probably mean that SMBios is wrong. Optiplex series used to work with iMac10,1 but it looks like that those who have NVIDIA GPUs has this problem. I guess using iMac12,2 or possibly iMac14,2 will solve the issue.

As for the missing Driver64UEFI folder, I'd say it's a recurrent mistake in every Optiplex 7xx/9xx I've seen so far since none of these models has a UEFI Bios. Therefore, the Drivers64UEFI folder is never used so it's not needed :P.

 

I did read up on the pascal graphics card and others were saying to use the imac15 or imac17, but neither of those worked 

Another guide said to make sure "emuvariableuefi-64" was in the folder, so how do I get it if that folder is never used?

I might start with a fresh install of High Sierra and see what happens. I've put back 5770 for now. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would advise anyone using dual display on their hackintosh to NOT update to 10.13.4 as it breaks this feature!! I am using a GT710 nvidia card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not use NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext.

I do use AppleIntelCPUM option in Clover. 

Maybe not always needed with a compatible smbios, but I use it, or I get a panic.

According to WiKi Page...

AppleIntelCPUPM

<key>AppleIntelCPUPM</key>

<true/>

AsusAICPUPM key was renamed to AppleIntelCPUPM.

Some vendors, like ASUS, restrict the use of MSR register 0xE2 in their power management module to ReadOnly. On Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems the kext AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement will try to write to this register and cause a kernel panic. This patch will eliminate the kext's write operations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3-4-2018 at 3:28 PM, Deanor30 said:

I would advise anyone using dual display on their hackintosh to NOT update to 10.13.4 as it breaks this feature!! I am using a GT710 nvidia card.

I'm also using the GT 710 and dual monitor is working fine (DVI and HDMI), as it always did (currently running 10.13.5 beta)

r50OGTx.png

Edited by ricoc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

I'm also using the GT 710 and dual monitor is working fine (DVI and HDMI), as it always did (currently running 10.13.5 beta)

r50OGTx.png

can you confirm are you using MacOS generic drivers or Nvidia webdrivers??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deanor30 said:

can you confirm are you using MacOS generic drivers or Nvidia webdrivers??

macOS Default drivers indeed, but no issues with the WebDriver either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, ricoc90 said:

macOS Default drivers indeed, but no issues with the WebDriver either

Ricoc, Thanks for the update. I tested my monitors using DVI  & hdmi and you are correct, these do work. My original config was VGA & DVI and it does seem that the update does break VGA. When I tested my system using just one monitor through VGA my monitor is getting no signal!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Deanor30  VGA also should work, so the problem must be somewhere else.
I'm using a 17" VGA monitor on the Optiplex 755 (also GT 710, also High Sierra) without problems.

Spoiler

HumBYeH.png

 

Make sure that your VGA monitor has the correct resolution and enable duallink if you're on high resolution, or disable it if you're on low resolution.
Anyway, this conversation should be moved to the High Sierra thread :)

Edited by ricoc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, ricoc90 said:

macOS Default drivers indeed, but no issues with the WebDriver either

ricoc90, Can I ask what audio method you are using. Since I updated my audio has stopped working despite updating clover, lilu.kext & applealc.kext.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deanor30 said:

ricoc90, Can I ask what audio method you are using. Since I updated my audio has stopped working despite updating clover, lilu.kext & applealc.kext.

 


On which system? The codec for the 755 is not in the AppleALC release, you'll need the one from post #1

For the 760 you'll need to rollback AppleHDA.kext

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:


On which system? The codec for the 755 is not in the AppleALC release, you'll need the one from post #1

For the 760 you'll need to rollback AppleHDA.kext

definitely lots of rollBack for the Old Optiplex 755/760/780 ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

definitely lots of rollBack for the Old Optiplex 755/760/780 ^_^

Well, the 755 doesn't need any rollback. That is, if you don't use an AMD GPU of course.
The 755 doesn't need the AppleHDA rollback.

The 780 does need the AppleHDA rollback according to MacPeet and since the 760 shares the same codec I assume the 760 needs a rollback too

But indeed, it's getting pretty hard for these older machines to keep up on the newer macOS's :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ricoc90, Apologies, the issue is with the 760 so I need to roll back to the vanilla applehda.kext or use a modified one?? Also the layout of my DSDT file was edited for the Applealc.kext method so do I have to roll this back also? I am a bit of a novice on this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you need to replace your AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.13.3 (maybe the one from Sierra will work too?). Nothing more. Leave your DSDT as is, leave AppleALC as is.

10.13.3's AppleHDA.kext: AppleHDA.kext.zip

Install in /System/Library/Extensions/

But again: this conversation should actually be moved to the High Sierra thread :lol:

Edited by ricoc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update to my GT 1030 issue:

I moved the computer to my office and hooked it up to my 2 1080P monitors.  I decided to use the GT 1030 again so I re-installed the webdrivers, lilu.kext, and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext.  This time, I got it working on first boot.

The only thing different from before was that it was hooked up to a 4k TV in my bedroom.  I will try to hook it up to the 4k TV again and see if it still works.

But now I have no HDMI audio.  Haven't really looked into it yet. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9000RPM said:

Just an update to my GT 1030 issue:

I moved the computer to my office and hooked it up to my 2 1080P monitors.  I decided to use the GT 1030 again so I re-installed the webdrivers, lilu.kext, and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext.  This time, I got it working on first boot.

The only thing different from before was that it was hooked up to a 4k TV in my bedroom.  I will try to hook it up to the 4k TV again and see if it still works.

But now I have no HDMI audio.  Haven't really looked into it yet. 

Cheers

I  not use  nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext with the GT 1030 and yes HDMI has change in Beta 10.13.5, see AppleALC for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I  not use  nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext with the GT 1030 and yes HDMI has change in Beta 10.13.5, see AppleALC for this

Thanks for letting me know about the AppleALC...I'll look into it. 

I "fixed" my audio issue with a spare CSR 4.0 bluetooth dongle laying around and I was surprised it was a simple plug-n-play in Sierra. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By fusion71au
      This is a brief guide on how to create a vanilla El Capitan (also same process for Sierra) OS X Installer USB with an updated prelinked kernel containing FakeSMC.

      It is tailored for those users who want to understand the “nuts and bolts” of how to create an installer and also to help brush up on their terminal skills (rather than have one made for them with the numerous automated “tools” available or even Apple’s createinstallmedia) :
       
       
      Specifically, it is also a “Proof of Concept” which shows that installation is possible without even having to rely on boot loader kext injection.

      Prerequisites
      Existing Yosemite installation (or Mavericks - see post#4 for steps 7,8) “Install OS X El Capitan.app" downloaded to the Applications folder Pacifist FakeSMC.kext - Slice or Kozlek branch Bootloader - Clover or Chameleon 8GB or larger USB drive (16GB recommended), formatted HFS+ (MBR or GUID) named “Installer”  
      Procedure
      1.  Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
      2.  Open OS X terminal and type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line.
          The image restore and file copying may take a while to complete, and at the end of the process, the Installer volume is renamed to “OS X Base System"....
       
      sudo -s hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg  -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt -noverify rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System diskutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD exit 3.  Right click on the “OS X Base System” Volume and click “Get Info”
       

      4.  Click on the lock icon and untick “Ignore ownership on this volume”
       

      5.  Extract/Copy the El Capitan Kernels folder into /System/Library/ of the USB with Pacifist.  NB It is found in the "Essentials.pkg" in /System/Installation/Packages
       

      6.  Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel —> OG.prelinkedkernel
       

      7.  Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of the installer USB using Finder.
       

      8.  Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel…..
       
      sudo -s chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions kextcache -u /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System exit Any errors should be noted but the output below is normal e.g.


      9. Install your Bootloader targeting the OS X Base System volume
       
       
       
       
      10.  Boot your system with the USB without injected kexts into the OS X Installer GUI....
       
       
       
       
       
      Post Install
      The original prelinked kernel in a fresh install of El Capitan will also lack FakeSMC ie it will only be linked to Apple signed kexts.  In order to boot into El Capitan the first time around without boot loader kext injection, the PLK needs to be rebuilt for the El Capitan volume like we did for the installer:
       
      1.  Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
      2.  Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel for the El Capitan volume —> OG.prelinkedkernel
      3.  Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of El Capitan using Finder
      4.  Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel.  In this example, the El Capitan volume is named "El_Capitan" - change if you have named it something else...
      sudo -s chmod -R 755 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions touch /Volumes/El_Capitan/System/Library/Extensions kextcache -u /Volumes/El_Capitan exit 5. Install your Bootloader targeting the El Capitan volume.  This step is only necessary if you are installing El Capitan on a new drive without existing boot loader (not required if installing on a disk with existing boot loader beside Yosemite).
      6. Reboot your system without injected kexts into El Capitan!
       
       
      Other links
      The All-In-One Guide to Vanilla OS X for beginners
       
      Updates for Sierra and High Sierra   Custom Prelinkedkernel Generator Tool I have made a custom prelinkedkernel generator "PLK.tool" for Sierra + El Capitan.  Instructions:   1.  Download and extract the attached BaseSystem_PLK.tool.zip into your ~/Downloads folder.   2.  Copy any extra kexts necessary for booting your hack to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem/ExtraKexts (e.g. FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller), making sure SIP is disabled. 3.  Copy BaseSystem.dmg to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem  4.  Open terminal and run the following commands... cd ~/Downloads/BaseSystem chmod +x PLK.tool ./PLK.tool ---> supply your admin password ---> will place your new custom prelinkedkernel on the desktop.       macOS High Sierra bypass Firmware and MBR checks in post#13.
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_ElCap.zip
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Sierra.zip
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Mojave.zip (need to run in Mojave to avoid dependency errors)
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Catalina.zip
       
    • By ThatsMatt
      Salve, sono nuovo nel forum e mi serviva una mano nell'installazione dell' ultima versione di MacOs sul mio notebook HP Pavilion 15-ak112nl.
      Specifiche Tecniche: 
      CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2.60 / 3.50 GHz, 4 core, 6 MB CACHE L3). 
      Scheda Grafica: Intel HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4 GB DDR3.
      Hard Disk: 1 TB SATA 5400 rpm.
      Ram: 8 GB DDR3L-1600.
      Audio: altoparlanti stereo Bang & Olufsen PLAY. 
      Rete: LAN 10/100, WLAN 802.11b/g/n, bluetooth 4.0 (Miracast).
      Grazie in Anticipo a chi mi risponderà
    • By fantomas1
      First beta... macOS Catalina 10.15 beta (19A471t)  Release Notes!!!
       
      Useful information:
       
      macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg.zip (thanks to gengik84)
      Clover r4945 (thanks to Cyberdevs)
      Lilu_plugins (thanks to gengik84)
      Port Limit Patch (thanks to daliansky)
      older non metal nVidia and Intel cards (thanks to fusion71au)
      MBR installation on macOS Catalina (thanks to crazybirdy) - workaround!!!
    • By t0mmenhansen
      I havent used my hackintosh in a while. I wanted to boot to my mac drive. This error comes up when i try to boot. Ive tryed using explorer++ and update the lilu kext and whatevergreen kext, no luck yet. Any ideas?
       
      9700k
      16GB corsair
      1080 nvidia card
      z370-f mobo
      mac drive is an SSD from kingston
      Display port outpoot
       
    • By fantomas1
      Première bêta... macOS Catalina 10.15 beta (19A471t)
       
       
      anciennes carte graphiques Nvidia + Intel HD 3000
×