GeForce GT 710

namvan

48 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Indeed, the 13.x definition makes difference

Sadly while the nVidia card (730 in my case) works OOB, all my USB3 ports no longer do (maybe I would need to redo the SSDTs again), so I find it easier to boot with lilu & whatevergreen loaded

That way everything works!

Edited by sebus

Guest ricoc90

The GT 710 does work OOB and there indeed is no need to inject or whatsoever, however the card has some limitations and that is that it does NOT work under certain SMBIOSes unless you do a board-id whitelist which is taken care of by WhateverGreen. That's why you get the black screen if you remove it.

Hello everyone,

I bought a GT 710, which hasn't arrived yet, to install Mojave on an Ivy Bridge pc. It's an old pc and it has a VGA only monitor. Since VGA doesn't work on macos, I was wondering which adapter should I use to connect to the monitor from HDMI or DVI-D on the card. Is anyone using a setup like that and can comment on which adapter is good for this? Do adapters like HDMI->VGA work with this card on macos at all?

I'm planning to do the installation with another monitor that has HDMI, just in case.

Edited by solarized

Guest ricoc90

Any VGA to DVI-D should do.

I don't have a VGA cable to test, but I did run one of my monitors on the VGA port before so it should work.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:27 AM, solarized said:

I though they were all Kepler. If it's not Kepler, I'll be stuck in High Sierra, right? The igpu is HD 2500, not supported at all, that's why I bought it.

But

On 6/20/2019 at 12:35 AM, solarized said:

Hello everyone,

I bought a GT 710, which hasn't arrived yet,

You already tested it? If so OK.

It should arrive today or tomorrow. The model is MSi GT 710 1GD3H-LP, and according to TechPowerUp it's Kepler. I'll post the results as soon as I get to installing the os. If it turns out to be Fermi, I'll probably return it and look for a better supported, basic alternative.

The MSi GT 710 1GD3H-LP worked OOB on HDMI and DVI-D ports without doing any graphics injections in Clover and without using WhateverGreen. I did a vanilla install of the OS over HDMI. Booting with VGA gave a black screen, so I followed Hervé's NVCAP method, and it worked upon reboot.

To get the NVCAP, I opened the Terminal and typed in

$ ioreg -lw0 | grep NVCAP

and it returned

"NVCAP" = <050000000000ffffffff00000000000e00000000>

I then inserted this NVCAP into Clover Configurator -> Graphics -> NVCAP

I'm pleased with the results. The graphics work great, the animations are fluid and there are no artifacts, and all that without the need for an adapter or a new monitor. Now I've got a new (old) Ivy Hack. Thank you everyone for your helpful advice!

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2016 at 3:37 PM, C.Frio said:

Hi

Another cheap card is the gt210 and gt 630..booth running el capitan..

Didn't tried the 630 with Sierra but the 210 is ok...

C.frio

GT 630 does not work properly with Mavericks or OS X, GT 640 does, up to El Capitan (or Sierra- didn't test it).

For High Sierra, I bought an ASUS GT 710 1GB silent, and it works OOB without any driver (and supports the new metal- framework)

Edited by tomaszo2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi
I am updating my old hack (from Mavericks) to HighSierra 10.13.6 (17G65) and Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95) with an MSI GT710 1Gb and this works fine with HS but I got a black screen with Mojave.

My MB is a Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 with a i3-2105 (Sandy Bridge) with HD3000 and a single hard disk with HS and Mojave installed in 2 partitions, booting Clover 4920, SMBIOS 14.1, display is a Dell P2217H with DisplayPort and HDMI.

I first installed HS and Mojave using the HD3000 and both are running well using the Display Port cable (I used patched HD3000 driver from HS for Mojave).

Then I disable the IGP in the bios, installed the MSI GT710 and moved to HDMI cable (there is no DP on the MSI) :
* HS recognized the card and boot properly. It recognize the card as Model GK208B, Device ID 0x128B10DE
* Mojave starts and run (as the disk light flash some time) but no display : black screen to grey then no signal then black

The only change I made for the GT710 was to remove Inject Intel from config.plist

So what's wrong ? I though GT710 was OOB in HS and Mojave ? I do not know if Mojave load the right driver and/or if it fails to use the right port.

I found some posts saying there might have some problems with GT710/Mojave and made some tests : I tried to put lilu 1.3.8 and whatevergreen 1.3.3 in EFI/clover/kext/others, I tried to change system from 14.1 to 14.2 and 18.1 but not change

Any idea ?
How can I check what Mojave is loading as graphics driver and therefore find where is the problem ?
Why HS works really OOB and not Mojave ?

I have attached the config.plist I used for HS and the one for Mojave, main difference is the Model to 18.1 for Mojave, and the clover boot.log with a first boot with Mojave then HS.

Thanks

config gt710 hs.plist

config gt710 mojave.plist

debug.log.zip

Edited by pctmac

On 6/15/2019 at 11:07 PM, ricoc90 said:

The GT 710 does work OOB and there indeed is no need to inject or whatsoever, however the card has some limitations and that is that it does NOT work under certain SMBIOSes unless you do a board-id whitelist which is taken care of by WhateverGreen. That's why you get the black screen if you remove it.

I might have this issue (see above post).

Can you explain more in details what do you mean by "you do a board-id whitelist which is taken care of by WhateverGreen" ?

Does it means on a given SMBIOS, you need to whitelist the GT710 card ?

How this is done ?

Thanks

Edited by pctmac

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, pctmac said:

Hi
I am updating my old hack (from Mavericks) to HighSierra 10.13.6 (17G65) and Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95) with an MSI GT710 1Gb and this works fine with HS but I got a black screen with Mojave.

My MB is a Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 with a i3-2105 (Sandy Bridge) with HD3000 and a single hard disk with HS and Mojave installed in 2 partitions, booting Clover 4920, SMBIOS 14.1, display is a Dell P2217H with DisplayPort and HDMI.

I first installed HS and Mojave using the HD3000 and both are running well using the Display Port cable (I used patched HD3000 driver from HS for Mojave).

Then I disable the IGP in the bios, installed the MSI GT710 and moved to HDMI cable (there is no DP on the MSI) :
* HS recognized the card and boot properly. It recognize the card as Model GK208B, Device ID 0x128B10DE
* Mojave starts and run (as the disk light flash some time) but no display : black screen to grey then no signal then black

The only change I made for the GT710 was to remove Inject Intel from config.plist

So what's wrong ? I though GT710 was OOB in HS and Mojave ? I do not know if Mojave load the right driver and/or if it fails to use the right port.

I found some posts saying there might have some problems with GT710/Mojave and made some tests : I tried to put lilu 1.3.8 and whatevergreen 1.3.3 in EFI/clover/kext/others, I tried to change system from 14.1 to 14.2 and 18.1 but not change

Any idea ?
How can I check what Mojave is loading as graphics driver and therefore find where is the problem ?
Why HS works really OOB and not Mojave ?

I have attached the config.plist I used for HS and the one for Mojave, main difference is the Model to 18.1 for Mojave, and the clover boot.log with a first boot with Mojave then HS.

Thanks

config gt710 hs.plist

config gt710 mojave.plist

debug.log.zip

You made Board-ID=Mac-4B682C642B45593E

while for Nvidia you have to make

Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

it is white list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slice said:

You made Board-ID=Mac-4B682C642B45593E

while for Nvidia you have to make

Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

it is white list.

So I put SMBIOS 14,2 in the config.plist which give this Board-ID : Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

But still the same : the display circle from black, lost signal (from the Dell display), then black, then white snow, and black again.

So apparently the GT710 seems to try to reach the display via HDMI ?

Edited by pctmac

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 5:44 PM, Hervé said:

Try with SMBIOS of iMac13,2 or its Board-id. That one works perfectly for my old C2D with a Kepler GT730 DDR5. I only had to inject an NVCAP to get VGA output working. DVI and HDMI wotked OOB.

Some news.

I end up reinstalling Mojave and boot Clover 4920, a minimal config.plist and SMBIOS 13,2 and bingo, I works.

So apparently my initial install was corrupted.

Using HDMI (or DVI to HDMI) to my TV Sony KDL-32V2500 give me some overscan I was not able to fix (while it was the case when I was using the iGPU HD3000 under HS following this : https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan

So I had to move to VGA port and I am now using the native TV resolution 1366x768.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, Hervé said:

My own Sony KDL-xxxxx TV died a couple of months ago and I've not replaced it (yet), but do you mean this is gone and no longer available? Whatever the target resolution and/or TV mode (1080i/p, 720p, etc.) ?

Sony_TV_underscan.jpg.1970feb1e6f86601873ae9d97107cd2a.jpg

Yes, apparently since Sierra 10.12.4

It's really a shame : moving to VGA solved the screen size issue, but I lost the sound via HDMI and I have no sund input mon my TV... while my hack is used as an HTPC !

I really need to find a solution via HDMI.

What is strange is that on the GT710 I now have this oscn key and I am not able to tweak the resolution while I was on the HD3000 using the link in y previous post.

I have found almost NO infos on this oscn key

Edited by pctmac

On 12/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, Hervé said:

@pctmac, maybe you ought to look at stuff like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7966665?

https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan

Basically, Google for "underscan slider missing", it looks like the underscan slider bar got dropped some time in High Sierra...

Slider bar may be gone in Display PrefPane but, apparently, it used to adjust the value of pscn parameter of your selected output display in /private/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics (or /var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics).

Default value is set to 10000 and:

• any value <10000 will underscan the picture on the display
  • any value >10000 will overscan the picture on the display

As detailed in the above thread, you'll have to go by trial and error, just as the defunct slider bar allowed to do, just much more easily.

NB: You'll probably have to change file/filesystem permissions to modify the file.

Hervé

Thanks. I already found the site from ishan. It does work under HS when I am connecting my TV to the HDMI port of the MB using the HD3000. Changing the pscn value to less than 10000 allowed me to solve the overscan.

But when I switch to the GT710 (to get Mojave), I no longer get  a pscn key but instead the oscn key, that apparently is a 0/1 key (true/false) but I dit not succeed in solving the overscan anymore, even when trying to put oscn to 0 (false) and adding a pscn key value, which was not present initially, to less than 10000 .

Thus I am currently stuck as I dit not find any info on this oscn key.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 11:19 PM, BEINGRATUL said:

I want to ask whether GT 710 DDR5 version works OOB in Catalina or not?

See the table

Снимок экрана 2020-07-27 в 20.43.53.png

If GK208 then it will work in Catalina.

If GF119 then it will not work in system higher then ElCapitan.