namvan

GeForce GT 710

56 posts in this topic

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Displays PrefPane should allow you to apply underscan for your TV.

Except that so far the underscan slider disappeared since latest release of High Sierra.

My own Sony KDL-xxxxx TV died a couple of months ago and I've not replaced it (yet), but do you mean this is gone and no longer available? Whatever the target resolution and/or TV mode (1080i/p, 720p, etc.) ?

Sony_TV_underscan.jpg.1970feb1e6f86601873ae9d97107cd2a.jpg

Edited by Hervé

On 12/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, Hervé said:

My own Sony KDL-xxxxx TV died a couple of months ago and I've not replaced it (yet), but do you mean this is gone and no longer available? Whatever the target resolution and/or TV mode (1080i/p, 720p, etc.) ?

Sony_TV_underscan.jpg.1970feb1e6f86601873ae9d97107cd2a.jpg

Yes, apparently since Sierra 10.12.4

It's really a shame : moving to VGA solved the screen size issue, but I lost the sound via HDMI and I have no sund input mon my TV... while my hack is used as an HTPC !

I really need to find a solution via HDMI.

What is strange is that on the GT710 I now have this oscn key and I am not able to tweak the resolution while I was on the HD3000 using the link in y previous post.

I have found almost NO infos on this oscn key

Edited by pctmac

@pctmac, maybe you ought to look at stuff like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7966665?

https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan

Basically, Google for "underscan slider missing", it looks like the underscan slider bar got dropped some time in High Sierra...

Slider bar may be gone in Display PrefPane but, apparently, it used to adjust the value of pscn parameter of your selected output display in /private/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics (or /var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics).

Default value is set to 10000 and:

• any value <10000 will underscan the picture on the display
  • any value >10000 will overscan the picture on the display

As detailed in the above thread, you'll have to go by trial and error, just as the defunct slider bar allowed to do, just much more easily.

NB: You'll probably have to change file/filesystem permissions to modify the file.

Edited by Hervé

On 12/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, Hervé said:

@pctmac, maybe you ought to look at stuff like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7966665?

https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan

Basically, Google for "underscan slider missing", it looks like the underscan slider bar got dropped some time in High Sierra...

Slider bar may be gone in Display PrefPane but, apparently, it used to adjust the value of pscn parameter of your selected output display in /private/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics (or /var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics).

Default value is set to 10000 and:

• any value <10000 will underscan the picture on the display
  • any value >10000 will overscan the picture on the display

As detailed in the above thread, you'll have to go by trial and error, just as the defunct slider bar allowed to do, just much more easily.

NB: You'll probably have to change file/filesystem permissions to modify the file.

Hervé

Thanks. I already found the site from ishan. It does work under HS when I am connecting my TV to the HDMI port of the MB using the HD3000. Changing the pscn value to less than 10000 allowed me to solve the overscan.

But when I switch to the GT710 (to get Mojave), I no longer get  a pscn key but instead the oscn key, that apparently is a 0/1 key (true/false) but I dit not succeed in solving the overscan anymore, even when trying to put oscn to 0 (false) and adding a pscn key value, which was not present initially, to less than 10000 .

Thus I am currently stuck as I dit not find any info on this oscn key.