namvan

GeForce GT 710

56 posts in this topic

Hmm, seems you're experimenting with VirtualSMC rather than FakeSMC and using versions of Lilu + WEG that do not come from the usual Vit9696/acidanthera GitHub's repo where Lilu is up to v1.3.1 and WEG up to 1.2.6.

Where does your setup come from?

If you remove Lilu + WEG, you have to enable "inject nVidia" in your Clover config and possible add "nVidia Single" too.

Edited by Hervé

Advertisement
On 2/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, Hervé said:

Hmm, seems you're experimenting with VirtualSMC rather than FakeSMC and using versions of Lilu + WEG that do not come from the usual Vit9696/acidanthera GitHub's repo where Lilu is up to v1.3.1 and WEG up to 1.2.6.

Where does your setup come from?

If you remove Lilu + WEG, you have to enable "inject nVidia" in your Clover config and possible add "nVidia Single" too.

thank you a lot...I removed virtualsmc and put in clover only fakesmc and usbinjectall, also, I changed SMBIOS to iMac 13.3. Everything works fine now, no need to inject Nvidia, cause GT710 it's a OOB.

There is a general rule, never change things that work well, but only when necessary. There is a movie too about that, Whatever works.

Indeed, the 13.x definition makes difference

Sadly while the nVidia card (730 in my case) works OOB, all my USB3 ports no longer do (maybe I would need to redo the SSDTs again), so I find it easier to boot with lilu & whatevergreen loaded

That way everything works!

Edited by sebus

The GT 710 does work OOB and there indeed is no need to inject or whatsoever, however the card has some limitations and that is that it does NOT work under certain SMBIOSes unless you do a board-id whitelist which is taken care of by WhateverGreen. That's why you get the black screen if you remove it.

Hello everyone,

I bought a GT 710, which hasn't arrived yet, to install Mojave on an Ivy Bridge pc. It's an old pc and it has a VGA only monitor. Since VGA doesn't work on macos, I was wondering which adapter should I use to connect to the monitor from HDMI or DVI-D on the card. Is anyone using a setup like that and can comment on which adapter is good for this? Do adapters like HDMI->VGA work with this card on macos at all?

I'm planning to do the installation with another monitor that has HDMI, just in case.

Edited by solarized

Any VGA to DVI-D should do.

I don't have a VGA cable to test, but I did run one of my monitors on the VGA port before so it should work.

With the right NVCAP, you should be able get VGA directly out of your nVidia card. It works perfectly out of my GT730 in High Sierra and Mojave. It's VGA out of iGPU that's not supported.

This being said, if you wish to use an adapter, indeed opt for a DVI-to-VGA; they have always worked for me whilst I can't say the same for HDMI-to-VGA adapters.

Edited by Hervé

Thanks!

I'll try to enable VGA port on the card with the NVCAP method when it arrives. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a DVI-D to VGA adapter.

I though they were all Kepler. If it's not Kepler, I'll be stuck in High Sierra, right? The igpu is HD 2500, not supported at all, that's why I bought it.

If it's not Kepler, it may not be properly supported (or not at all) beyond El Capitan 10.11 like many other Fermi GF119 cards (eg: GT610).

On 6/23/2019 at 6:27 AM, solarized said:

I though they were all Kepler. If it's not Kepler, I'll be stuck in High Sierra, right? The igpu is HD 2500, not supported at all, that's why I bought it.

But

On 6/20/2019 at 12:35 AM, solarized said:

Hello everyone,

I bought a GT 710, which hasn't arrived yet,

You already tested it? If so OK.

It should arrive today or tomorrow. The model is MSi GT 710 1GD3H-LP, and according to TechPowerUp it's Kepler. I'll post the results as soon as I get to installing the os. If it turns out to be Fermi, I'll probably return it and look for a better supported, basic alternative.

The MSi GT 710 1GD3H-LP worked OOB on HDMI and DVI-D ports without doing any graphics injections in Clover and without using WhateverGreen. I did a vanilla install of the OS over HDMI. Booting with VGA gave a black screen, so I followed Hervé's NVCAP method, and it worked upon reboot.

To get the NVCAP, I opened the Terminal and typed in

$ ioreg -lw0 | grep NVCAP

and it returned

"NVCAP" = <050000000000ffffffff00000000000e00000000>

I then inserted this NVCAP into Clover Configurator -> Graphics -> NVCAP

I'm pleased with the results. The graphics work great, the animations are fluid and there are no artifacts, and all that without the need for an adapter or a new monitor. Now I've got a new (old) Ivy Hack. Thank you everyone for your helpful advice!

On 7/17/2016 at 3:37 PM, C.Frio said:

Hi

Another cheap card is the gt210 and gt 630..booth running el capitan..

Didn't tried the 630 with Sierra but the 210 is ok...

C.frio

GT 630 does not work properly with Mavericks or OS X, GT 640 does, up to El Capitan (or Sierra- didn't test it).

For High Sierra, I bought an ASUS GT 710 1GB silent, and it works OOB without any driver (and supports the new metal- framework)

Edited by tomaszo2

All Kepler-based GT710/GT720/GT730 (still) work OOB in Mojave and Catalina, yes.

Techpowerup site does not appear to list details for the GT-710-2GD3H-LP model you mentioned but the 1GB model GT-710-1GD3H-LP certainly is listed as a Kepler GK208 model. I understand that MSI no longer manufacture nVidia GT 700 Series cards so it'd be "old stock".

The MSI model you mentioned being of the cheapest and most basic DDR3 type, you may want to consider better models with DDR5 RAM which will be much faster. Example: Asus GT710-SL-2GD5 which is also single slot, low-profile, passive cooling for roughly the same price. Active cooling models also tend to run faster than their passive cooling counterparts which appear to be clocked down...

It depends on what you really seek (single slot, low profile, passive or active cooling, lowest price) but you can always look at those "best XXXX cards" blogs for guidance. Here, for instance, where you'll also see single slot, LP cards such as the Gigabyte GT730 2GB DDR5 (ref. GV-N730D5-2GL).

The GT730 DDR5 card is the best of those low-end GT 700 Series Kepler GK208 cards.

Gigabyte also offers many variants of the GT710/GT730 cards which includes the low profile, single slot, active cooling, 3 x outputs GT710 2GB DDR5 (ref. GV_N710D5-2GIL).

Of course, you should look at other brands such as EVGA, Asus, etc.

Edited by Hervé

Hi
I am updating my old hack (from Mavericks) to HighSierra 10.13.6 (17G65) and Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95) with an MSI GT710 1Gb and this works fine with HS but I got a black screen with Mojave.

My MB is a Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 with a i3-2105 (Sandy Bridge) with HD3000 and a single hard disk with HS and Mojave installed in 2 partitions, booting Clover 4920, SMBIOS 14.1, display is a Dell P2217H with DisplayPort and HDMI.

I first installed HS and Mojave using the HD3000 and both are running well using the Display Port cable (I used patched HD3000 driver from HS for Mojave).

Then I disable the IGP in the bios, installed the MSI GT710 and moved to HDMI cable (there is no DP on the MSI) :
* HS recognized the card and boot properly. It recognize the card as Model GK208B, Device ID 0x128B10DE
* Mojave starts and run (as the disk light flash some time) but no display : black screen to grey then no signal then black

The only change I made for the GT710 was to remove Inject Intel from config.plist

So what's wrong ? I though GT710 was OOB in HS and Mojave ? I do not know if Mojave load the right driver and/or if it fails to use the right port.

I found some posts saying there might have some problems with GT710/Mojave and made some tests : I tried to put lilu 1.3.8 and whatevergreen 1.3.3 in EFI/clover/kext/others, I tried to change system from 14.1 to 14.2 and 18.1 but not change

Any idea ?
How can I check what Mojave is loading as graphics driver and therefore find where is the problem ?
Why HS works really OOB and not Mojave ?

I have attached the config.plist I used for HS and the one for Mojave, main difference is the Model to 18.1 for Mojave, and the clover boot.log with a first boot with Mojave then HS.

Thanks

config gt710 hs.plist

config gt710 mojave.plist

debug.log.zip

Edited by pctmac

On 6/15/2019 at 11:07 PM, ricoc90 said:

The GT 710 does work OOB and there indeed is no need to inject or whatsoever, however the card has some limitations and that is that it does NOT work under certain SMBIOSes unless you do a board-id whitelist which is taken care of by WhateverGreen. That's why you get the black screen if you remove it.

I might have this issue (see above post).

Can you explain more in details what do you mean by "you do a board-id whitelist which is taken care of by WhateverGreen" ?

Does it means on a given SMBIOS, you need to whitelist the GT710 card ?

How this is done ?

Thanks

Edited by pctmac

On 11/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, pctmac said:

Hi
I am updating my old hack (from Mavericks) to HighSierra 10.13.6 (17G65) and Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95) with an MSI GT710 1Gb and this works fine with HS but I got a black screen with Mojave.

My MB is a Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 with a i3-2105 (Sandy Bridge) with HD3000 and a single hard disk with HS and Mojave installed in 2 partitions, booting Clover 4920, SMBIOS 14.1, display is a Dell P2217H with DisplayPort and HDMI.

I first installed HS and Mojave using the HD3000 and both are running well using the Display Port cable (I used patched HD3000 driver from HS for Mojave).

Then I disable the IGP in the bios, installed the MSI GT710 and moved to HDMI cable (there is no DP on the MSI) :
* HS recognized the card and boot properly. It recognize the card as Model GK208B, Device ID 0x128B10DE
* Mojave starts and run (as the disk light flash some time) but no display : black screen to grey then no signal then black

The only change I made for the GT710 was to remove Inject Intel from config.plist

So what's wrong ? I though GT710 was OOB in HS and Mojave ? I do not know if Mojave load the right driver and/or if it fails to use the right port.

I found some posts saying there might have some problems with GT710/Mojave and made some tests : I tried to put lilu 1.3.8 and whatevergreen 1.3.3 in EFI/clover/kext/others, I tried to change system from 14.1 to 14.2 and 18.1 but not change

Any idea ?
How can I check what Mojave is loading as graphics driver and therefore find where is the problem ?
Why HS works really OOB and not Mojave ?

I have attached the config.plist I used for HS and the one for Mojave, main difference is the Model to 18.1 for Mojave, and the clover boot.log with a first boot with Mojave then HS.

Thanks

config gt710 hs.plist

config gt710 mojave.plist

debug.log.zip

You made Board-ID=Mac-4B682C642B45593E

while for Nvidia you have to make

Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

it is white list.

8 hours ago, Slice said:

You made Board-ID=Mac-4B682C642B45593E

while for Nvidia you have to make

Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

it is white list.

So I put SMBIOS 14,2 in the config.plist which give this Board-ID : Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

But still the same : the display circle from black, lost signal (from the Dell display), then black, then white snow, and black again.

So apparently the GT710 seems to try to reach the display via HDMI ?

Edited by pctmac

Try with SMBIOS of iMac13,2 or its Board-id. That one works perfectly for my old C2D with a Kepler GT730 DDR5. I only had to inject an NVCAP to get VGA output working. DVI and HDMI wotked OOB.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:44 PM, Hervé said:

Try with SMBIOS of iMac13,2 or its Board-id. That one works perfectly for my old C2D with a Kepler GT730 DDR5. I only had to inject an NVCAP to get VGA output working. DVI and HDMI wotked OOB.

Some news.

I end up reinstalling Mojave and boot Clover 4920, a minimal config.plist and SMBIOS 13,2 and bingo, I works.

So apparently my initial install was corrupted.

Using HDMI (or DVI to HDMI) to my TV Sony KDL-32V2500 give me some overscan I was not able to fix (while it was the case when I was using the iGPU HD3000 under HS following this : https://ishan.co/external-monitor-underscan

So I had to move to VGA port and I am now using the native TV resolution 1366x768.