Help installing 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 on AMD64x2

Spyro

18 posts in this topic

Hey fellas.

I have problems installing JaS 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 osx86 in native mode. Everything went fine on VMWare but is of course slooow.

The problem is no matter what I try, I always receive an error, and system freezes when using the -v command...and a "you should reboot your system" when not using the command.

I tried like hell to find any info but I cannot find anything definitive to help me out.

Tried disabling USB support but got the same error. I'm trying to install on a SATA drive, one logical partition in FAT32 already there. The thing is I can't even reach teh installation screen.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated since I already tried different JaS releases but nothing works so far trying in native mode.

I know the installer didn't liked to have 2 CPUs on VMWare...it gave me some kind of error, not the same, but almost. Is there a way to disable one CPU during the native Darwing boot?

My sys specs are the following:

500w PSU

CASE IROCK

AMD64x2 3800+ (Windsor) socket AM2 90nm Voltage 1.3

MSI K9N Neo Motherboard nForce 550 chipset (AMI BIOS v1.4)

4Gb DDRII Corsair TWIN2x2048-6400 (800mhz)

Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooler.

Zalman NB47J NorthBridge Cooler.

Geforce 7600GS video card @ 450/450

2 x Samsung 710n TFT Monitors-

2 x SATAII WD 120gb and 2 x SATAII 160gb 7200rpm drives.

1 PIONEER DVD drive.

SB Audigy eX (kX drivers)

Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 audio interface.

Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

boot with cpus=1 or put the in your com.apple.boot.plist under kernel flags

<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>cpus=1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

com.apple.boot.plist is located in \Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration

Make sure you don't install with SSE3-support since that doesn't work with AMD X2-processors. And don't even think about installing to the SATA-drive since your mobo is based on Nforce4/5x0, if you get it to install you'll get lots and lots of read/write-errors because of incompatible SATA-driver.

Thanks, finally some useful information!

Ok, I'll get another HD just for that then.

How do I install without SSE3? do I have to change something on the installer, or there is a command for that before entering darwin?

Thanks again.

How do I install without SSE3? do I have to change something on the installer, or there is a command for that before entering darwin?

Just make sure to choose customized installation and make sure AMD and AMD SSE2-patches are installed (not default).

The problem is no matter what I try, I always receive an error, and system freezes when using the -v command...and a "you should reboot your system" when not using the command.

I tried like hell to find any info but I cannot find anything definitive to help me out.

The "problem" is that you never say what the "error" is so that others might give an intelligent suggestion.

I'm having this exact same problem when I try installing 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 on my Athlon 64 X2 4200+. Here's my shot of the screen:

dscn1806dt2.th.jpg

I tried booting with "cpus=1" and it simply hung at the "using 5242..." line.

Tried "cpus=2" just for laughs and it hung at the "Started CPU 01" line.

Any ideas?

FYI: my specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4200+

ASUS M2V motherboard

Will try installing on a PATA drive

GeForce 7800 GT

... etc.

Ugh, really? I tried that here and I thought it didn't work...

...I'll try it out again.

Edit: Not working here. It still stalls after saying "Started CPU 01." No disc or hard drive activity. Without -v it just stays at the Apple logo with the animated activity indicator.

Hmmm.... sad....on mine it worked straight.

Maybe you need another key command, but I'm really sure cpus=2 (and cpus=02) works, and you might need it as well.

BTW: I finished installing, and jeez it runs quite fast!! my boss has a dual motorola G5 2.1ghz each CPU I guess...but it runs much more slower...I guess my video card is helping too.

Two things...don't get internet...search function seems to be broken, and I got the stuttering problem so I'll search for that info I'm pretty sure there's another thread about it.

Good luck!!!!

Just bumping this.

I tried using a few other patched DVDs like Myz's 10.4.6 and I'm still getting hangs after inputting "cpus=2" - the line "Started CPU 01" is the last thing I see. Even if I leave it running for a long time, there's no progress. Any idea what could be causing the system to hang?

I actually have the opposite...if I don't type cpus=2 darwin stops at some point with a backtrace buffer message or something like that.

BTW: Seems like there's no way to add sound, ethernet and Nvidia Card working here....so it's kinda pointless to install OSX right now on an AMD (from my point of view, and on my own personal system)...and I also have the stuttering problem, and so far I didn't found a way to solve it.

I think, just for the sake of beeing a geek, is good to try and get OSX partly working on my machine...but I'm not going to use it at all right now. So, if you need OSX working, and need to do some jobs there you better wait for some release that better supports AMD and Nforce chips.

I actually have the opposite...if I don't type cpus=2 darwin stops at some point with a backtrace buffer message or something like that.

BTW: Seems like there's no way to add sound, ethernet and Nvidia Card working here....so it's kinda pointless to install OSX right now on an AMD (from my point of view, and on my own personal system)...and I also have the stuttering problem, and so far I didn't found a way to solve it.

I think, just for the sake of beeing a geek, is good to try and get OSX partly working on my machine...but I'm not going to use it at all right now. So, if you need OSX working, and need to do some jobs there you better wait for some release that better supports AMD and Nforce chips.

Well it all depends on what AMD platform you have. Most 754 and 939-systems work fine except for SATA.

Everything that has drivers works on my 939-board (all except SATA that is). However I tried running Halo UB on my system and it's running like I had an Radeon 8500 graphicscard so the optimization isn't to good.

Also the solution to the lagging is pretty simple, just disable cpu idling (which btw will make your cpu run much hotter while in OS X). Another solution is to wait for the finished 10.4.8 kernel modification which hopefully will avoid cpu clock errors which causes lagging.

Thanks bro.

Yes I've found lots of info about the stuttering issue...found things like a string called "cpuidle=0"...I'll see how it works.

Also found a solution for my audio card wich is a realtek high def one...model ALC883

Could install MacVidia also without problems this time so I'm running my monitors at 1280*1024

seems like I'll have this thing up and running in no time, Logic Audio is working perfectly fine here.

I just need net and SATA working so I can see my other drives...but it seems I'll need to wait for them for a bit I guess.