fantomas

Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (UPDATE Sept 27, 2019)

1,063 posts in this topic

But its still a unproper solution because of injection.

Absolutely doesn't matter as long as it is bug free and it just works.

I have not been able to check whether the kext works in High Sierra because Nvidia has not yet released Pascal Web Driver. So we'll see when it really stops working.

In fact, I find it far better solution of just placing a kext in Clover/kexts/other folder than running some script which doesn't work for 99% people.

I agree some of the blame lies on Nvidia and they should enable HDMI audio by themselves instead of us using any workarounds. But it is simply wrong to say that HDMI audio is not working on Pascal cards and pass the blame on Nvidia.

Advertisement

Hello. I am not what you would call an in depth computer modifier, but I have done some stuff.

This

10.12.6 Beta (16G16b)

Attached Files

was posted and since my current setup is ...

Mac Pro 5.1

12 GB RAM

4 internal HDs, lots of space

Radeon ATI 5770 (stock Gard) w/ 1GB DDR5 VRAM

OS 10.12.6 (current beta, impatiently waiting)

OS 10.13.1 (pub beta on a 2nd drive, was working OK, but...)

I wanted to extend the life of this beast, so I got an eVGA GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB DDR5 VRAM after a lot of checking and asking questions.

I know the best way is to flash it, but I do not have access to a PC to use the available NVFlash 5370 and I saw that WebDrivers were available. But alas, at that time I saw that they did not support any beta OSes.

Then today I was reading here and found the above.

I assume I can use it, but is there a best way to install it, since it is not part of an installer package? Since it is rated a kext, and similar NVDA kexts are in a System>Library>Extensions folder can it be dropped here? Do I need to do anything else but reboot?

Thanks.

Hello. I am not what you would call an in depth computer modifier, but I have done some stuff.

This

10.12.6 Beta (16G16b)

Attached Files

was posted and since my current setup is ...

Mac Pro 5.1

12 GB RAM

4 internal HDs, lots of space

Radeon ATI 5770 (stock Gard) w/ 1GB DDR5 VRAM

OS 10.12.6 (current beta, impatiently waiting)

OS 10.13.1 (pub beta on a 2nd drive, was working OK, but...)

I wanted to extend the life of this beast, so I got an eVGA GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB DDR5 VRAM after a lot of checking and asking questions.

I know the best way is to flash it, but I do not have access to a PC to use the available NVFlash 5370 and I saw that WebDrivers were available. But alas, at that time I saw that they did not support any beta OSes.

Then today I was reading here and found the above.

I assume I can use it, but is there a best way to install it, since it is not part of an installer package? Since it is rated a kext, and similar NVDA kexts are in a System>Library>Extensions folder can it be dropped here? Do I need to do anything else but reboot?

Thanks.

Not sure why you want to flash the GTX 1050 Ti bios… It is unnecessary IMO.

As for the kext, you should use this app : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia%C2%AE-webdriver-updaterapp/to manage install/updates of webdrivers.

And no, you can't just drop a kext (whatever it is) in S/L/E to install it. You need an utility such as Kext Wizard or Kext Utility to accomplish this task. Otherwise, the kext won't load because of incorrect owner/permissions.

Not sure why you want to flash the GTX 1050 Ti bios… It is unnecessary IMO.

As for the kext, you should use this app : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia%C2%AE-webdriver-updaterapp/to manage install/updates of webdrivers.

And no, you can't just drop a kext (whatever it is) in S/L/E to install it. You need an utility such as Kext Wizard or Kext Utility to accomplish this task. Otherwise, the kext won't load because of incorrect owner/permissions.

Flash thing, old stuff, just in case that I was aware. Thanks for that info, glad I should not need to do that.

Kext installer, just DL'd it, hopefully all will be OK.

Kind of figured you couldn't simply drop that kext in, initially reported "was not installed properly". On boot up this AM the usual waiting stuff was not on the screen, but yeah, GPU still not seen by the CUDA System Pref.

Again, thank you for the info 

OK, not trying to be a pest, but.

Ran the 'NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater' and it loaded OK, created the desktop folder and put the kext in it.

The initial window set on NVIDIA Info & Updates button, Driver Version Installed: 355.10.05.45f01and when I click on the Check NVIDIA Update button I get - 'no drivers found for build 16G24b' and a pop down menu list containing 9 build numbers. The list starts with 16A73 and ends with 16A323. From a listing of this type in the beta program usually the topmost one is the 'current' build.

Oh, in case it is important, in the top right it showed 'Internet connection OK'.

Not really certain if I am to chose one from this list or not.

Next button NVDAStatupWeb.kext.patch shows the 'Fake OS build version:' as the 16G16b which matches the kext mentioned above, the 10.12.6 beta kext provided. Then the check box (empty) for the 'patch after Installation' and then the Patch Immediately button.

The first time I simply clicked the Patch Immediately button and the folder got created and the kext put into it. then a beachball began, not stoping. Force quitting showed the Updater 'not responding'. So I force quit.

Tried again, this time I checked the Patch after Installation checkbox, same result. Beachballed, ended up force quitting.

The third section, NVEnabler.kext, does have all the information boxes filled.

Please note - I have both video cards installed, which should be OK as supposedly this can be done. I have gotten no error or warning messages about this. Nothing is connected to the eVGA GTX 1050 Ti as it is pointless to have a blank screen. All is working OK with the ATI Radeon 5770, both monitors are showing as they should, as I set them up in the past.

I can provide whatever else might be necessary.

Ok, let's say that we want to use the NVDAStartupWeb.kext with any version of Sierra.

Here's another way using terminal.app :

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist

Then go to the line that says (16G16b is just an example) :

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>16G16b</string>

Change it to :

<string>16G</string>

Save with CTRL + X then answer y and type Enter.

Lastly (this is important) :

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Reboot and you're done :).

Also, do NOT use NVEnabler.kext or Inject Nvidia in config.plist.

Ok, let's say that we want to use the NVDAStartupWeb.kext with any version of Sierra.

Here's another way using terminal.app :

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist

Then go to the line that says (16G16b is just an example) :

<string>16G16b</string>

Change it to :

<string>16G</string>

Save with CTRL + X then answer y and type Enter.

Lastly (this is important) :

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Reboot and you're done :).

Also, do NOT use NVEnabler.kext or Inject Nvidia in config.plist.

Did what you suggested, all went well, except...

The chown changes to the /System/Library/Extensions did not 'take'. Both stated they couldn't be done, printed the entire list of extensions on screen. The /Library/Extensions went OK.

After the reboot I ran the NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater and it showed 16G only in the 2nd button's screen. So I attempted the update, beachball.

Force quit. Reboot again after verifying the eVGA card was in properly and I didn't miss any power (none needed apparently for this card). Ran the NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater and this time I entered the rest of the current build, '24f'. Still beachballed.

I must be missing something here. It is possible it just will not work as the System Preference still says 'No GPU Detected'.

Ran some stuff to make certain nothing was messed up. All appears OK.

Did you try to disable mirroring options in menu bar? (Settings > Display > Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available)

Hi,

I just got round to checking and the mirroring checkbox was checked, but even after unchecking it it appears the random black blocks in the menu bar are still appearing. 

Anyone else any thoughts?

Hello, Could you tell me. why im getting this error: "Mac OS version is not compatible", when i try to install latest driver(same on 1 page here) on 10.12.5 fresh installed. I v e tried nv_disable=1/nvda_drv=1 NvidiaWeb=1. No results.

Specs:

gtx 1080

z270 

i7

@ polyzargone

OK, since I am wondering if we are talking about a native Mac vs a PC box running Mac OS (has happened before)

I have the Mac Pro (mid 2012) 5.1 Apple manufactured computer running OS 10.12.6 (beta 16G24b) with native Radeon 5770 1 GB video.

The System Profiler does not see anything but the 5770. So I am guessing the 1050 video card is not really directly compatible.

When I first got the card I had already installed the NVIDIA CUDA System Preference. I installed the card after removing the 5770. Powered Mac Pro on, nothing.

Had an older Radeon card from my older Mac Pro (1.1 2006) I put into the next PCIE slot up, computer booted, only the Radeon card seen.

Shut down, removed cards. Installed the 5770 in first slot, the 1050 into the second slot (an allowed configuration). Still only he 5770 was available.

Went through all the stuff here, thanks again.

Checked Apple's communities, verified that this Mac Pro can handle two 5770s or 5770 plus non-power needing cards. Has two 16x PCIE slots for video use.

-- So, I would love to provide what you ask for, but I need to know where it is as there is no CLOVER folder and the only hits I get for clover are in WoW Add Ons (lol).

OK, since I am wondering if we are talking about a native Mac vs a PC box running Mac OS (has happened before)

And happened again :lol: !

So I see now why it's not working. You have to disable SIP on a real Mac. You can check its status with this command (obviously, it will be set to enabled) :

csrutil status

Which should return :

MacBook-Air:~ polyzargone$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
MacBook-Air:~ polyzargone$

All you have to do is reboot on the Recovery HD partition and open terminal in Utilities then type :

csrutil disable

Now, you should be able to fix owners/permissions using Kext Wizard, Kext Utility or commands I posted above and that sould allow the modded NVDAStartupWeb.kext to load ;).

@ polyzargone

I have the Mac Pro (mid 2012) 5.1 Apple manufactured computer running OS 10.12.6 (beta 16G24b) with native Radeon 5770 1 GB video.

The System Profiler does not see anything but the 5770. So I am guessing the 1050 video card is not really directly compatible.

When I first got the card I had already installed the NVIDIA CUDA System Preference. I installed the card after removing the 5770. Powered Mac Pro on, nothing.

Had an older Radeon card from my older Mac Pro (1.1 2006) I put into the next PCIE slot up, computer booted, only the Radeon card seen.

Shut down, removed cards. Installed the 5770 in first slot, the 1050 into the second slot (an allowed configuration). Still only he 5770 was available.

Went through all the stuff here, thanks again.

Checked Apple's communities, verified that this Mac Pro can handle two 5770s or 5770 plus non-power needing cards. Has two 16x PCIE slots for video use.

-- So, I would love to provide what you ask for, but I need to know where it is as there is no CLOVER folder and the only hits I get for clover are in WoW Add Ons (lol).

@rickpusa - I think we're having similar issues, but I want to start from the beginning. I have an Apple Mac Pro 5,1 with the original GeForce CT 120 and a new EVGA GeForce 1050 Ti 4GB that I'm trying to get setup. I have both installed. Booting with the old card connected, I installed the latest Nvidia web drivers (378.05.05.15f01.pkg) and everything looks good. My system even recognizes the card as "Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti" in Slot 1, alongside the old card in Slot 2. But if I reboot with the Apple LED display connected via Displayport (with MDP adapter), or old Samsung 1080p monitor connected to HDMI, I see nothing, and it never displays anything, and next time I reboot with the cables connected back to the original old GPU, my machine goes into recovery mode. Uploading a few screenshots of my system to clarity.

This forum is mad complicated. Can somebody please tell me what I need to do to boot successfully with this new card? Disable SIP? 

Thank you!

There is no driver for 10.12.6 yet, right?

Just wanted to confirm so that I don't start updating until there is. :D Otherwise, it's gonna suck.

No, not yet, but I'm gonna give the patched version a try later and see how it performs.

No, not yet, but I'm gonna give the patched version a try later and see how it performs.

what patched version? I updated and forgot about the "matching os version" on the installer so.. replying to Arsradu, it sucks. no video working now, AGAIN.

what patched version? I updated and forgot about the "matching os version" on the installer so.. replying to Arsradu, it sucks. no video working now, AGAIN.

i feel for you, man. :) I'm still waiting for the official driver.

As for the "patched version", I'm assuming the guys are talking about the Nvidia Driver updater app from here.

Never used it for that, but for as far as I can understand, it has the ability to patch your current webdriver, so that it "thinks" it's for the correct OS build version. Give it a try. You've got nothing to lose. I don't think it can get worse than it already is. :))) Wouldn't wanna bet on THAT...but..you know, you can always try.

And if you fail, we're here to help. Or at least try.... :)

Exactly what @arsradi explained is correct.

You can take a look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325430-macos-sierra-10126-final-is-out/?p=2466409

i feel for you, man. :) I'm still waiting for the official driver.

As for the "patched version", I'm assuming the guys are talking about the Nvidia Driver updater app from here.

Never used it for that, but for as far as I can understand, it has the ability to patch your current webdriver, so that it "thinks" it's for the correct OS build version. Give it a try. You've got nothing to lose. I don't think it can get worse than it already is. :))) Wouldn't wanna bet on THAT...but..you know, you can always try.

And if you fail, we're here to help. Or at least try.... :)

Hey, I looked for that patched version and did that from a post on another forum that I won't ever say the name again haha.

But I'm now with the web drivers working :) so if you want to try. it works (at least on my hackintosh)

Thanks for the reply tho

Hey, I looked for that patched version and did that from a post on another forum that I won't ever say the name again haha.

But I'm now with the web drivers working :) so if you want to try. it works (at least on my hackintosh)

Thanks for the reply tho

You're welcome :) The forum which shall not be named is very well known in fact, by everyone. But yeah, these are the rules. :)

Glad you managed to fix it!

Two things...

1) today 10.12.6 non-beta was released. Appears stable from what I have been able to see so far.

2) After discussions elsewhere about the GTX 1050 Ti card I had (note, 'had') I decided that I would return it. That is done. Main reasoning was a second discussion with eVGA tech support which indicated that their version of the 1050, not that old per that person, uses uEFI, not EFI for boot loader.

3) Found a NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB board for a reasonable price, ordered that. It is listed as Mac ready. So I would guess problem solved.

I should know tomorrow, as that is when the card is to arrive.

But of note for what it is worth. The uEFI boot loader might work with a flashing, they were not certain since they do not test on Macs. If it were simply EFI then what @polyzargonne provided would have helped.

@raisinbraun I do hope you can get your 1050 Ti going. Maybe with the official release today of 10.12.6 Sierra the 'official' WebKit driver will work and then your card will display.

Just upgraded to 10.12.6, and the above ^ Nvidia WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01... was not the *smoothest* software update I've ever experienced... but it all seems ok and fine enough in the end. BTW Also reports are that 10.12.6 now accepts iMac 18,[1,2,3] hardware profile in SMBIOS wizard of Clover Configuratior... (though that is nothing to do with these NVIDIA drivers).

Anyhow I see above here some talk about retesting webkit? Sorry I don't know how to test for webkit. But I can say it seems now the @ Apple logo is correctly restored in the corner of Safari. Not anymore some strange or corrupted unicode glytph [] symbol :)... It will be nice to see if any other graphics glitches dont come back. Actually I can still see remains the black rectangle in menubar glitch. Which is still there. Not gone away yet. But its not appear too much, so is tolerable / not too bad.

Anyhow I was trying also to bench nvidia GPU very recently... but unfortunately all the benchmark tools I found were based on OpenGL and OpenCL entirely. BUT! Then I come across this list here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/list-of-mac-metal-games.2045606/

Which is supposed to be all metal games. Looks good to me! But unfortunately dont have any time yet to properly check any of them out myself. So it would be great (if any you guys want to try them out / already familiar with some games on this list?)...

THen we can find out properly which of these games are the best ones for benchmarking metal. And to re-test the situation for future NVIDIA webdriver updates. Maybe we can refine this list with our own notes and experiences. Or simply just re-order this list from best --> worst. [Purely in terms of just benchmarking for metal API performance, and find the ones that a most *easy* / fast to benchmark.]   :) 

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi all , I have a problem with my installation. I have a Asrock z87 extreme 6 motherboard with an i7 4770k and a gtx 1070 ,  have installed macOS Sierra 10.12.5 , all the necessary kext and the last Nvidia web driver ... but I have this problem and I can't resolve , I have search in google (with no result because I don't know what to search ahah) but I need your help. Thank you for the response

I have this problem in all System application , like Safari , iBooks , Xcode etc etc

http://it.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qzje2t&s=9#.WXUD2cZaYxw

Hi all , I have a problem with my installation. I have a Asrock z87 extreme 6 motherboard with an i7 4770k and a gtx 1070 ,  have installed macOS Sierra 10.12.5 , all the necessary kext and the last Nvidia web driver ... but I have this problem and I can't resolve , I have search in google (with no result because I don't know what to search ahah) but I need your help. Thank you for the response

I have this problem in all System application , like Safari , iBooks , Xcode etc etc

http://it.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qzje2t&s=9#.WXUD2cZaYxw

Well, at a first glance, I would say your GTX 1070 has some issues. Is this a new card?

Also, is this the first Hackintosh build using this card? Have you tried the same card with other builds? Does it occur with the default MacOS driver? Yes, you won't have acceleration. But I'm not sure that's relevant in this case. At least, it's worth trying.