fantomas1

Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (UPDATE May 15, 2019)

1,060 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Has Nvidia fixed iBooks/Instruments problem yet?

If not, are there any methods how to disable Metal on Sierra temporarily?

Tested right now, main menu appears however when you click to any book that located in your library, fully transparent window shows up on top of all other windows, so not fixed at least for gtx 980.

So I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 - I have the gtx 970 with the 3 Display Ports.   Up until Public Beta 6 of 10.12.2, I could run 3 4k Displays .  I didn't get boot screen, but that's no big deal.   After Public Beta 6 I could only use 2 screens, now after the final release of 10.12.2 I can only run 1 screen.   If plug in another display the system locks up.  I haven't been able to find any logs on this.

I have not messed with the firmware on the GPU itself, I see others here having issues.  I'm wondering if I should investigate updating the firmware on it.  Or is this something else?  Ideas?

EDIT: Did some more fiddling.. and I was able to get back to plugging in 2 displays and it not choke, but the 3rd  connection will freeze it up.   I do have a supplemental power supply as well for this card.  I wonder if that is failing or not working? 

I'm also considering just sending the card off to MacVidCards and being done with it.

What you did to be able to plug a 2nd monitor?

What you did to be able to plug a 2nd monitor?

Reset my PRAM, installed the new driver from yesterday,  tried different combinations of display cables and ports and it was almost a moment of frustration I plugged a second in and it worked...  still if I add the 3rd it locks up.  Only way I run  3 right now is using the stock GT 120 card as well.  But I only get 1920x1080 (HiDPI though) @30hrz

Not fixed on GTX950 too 

:(

I need Instruments :-/

Not fixed on GTX950 too 

:(

I need Instruments :-/

Try to disable Metal according this instruction.

Edit GeForceWeb.kext Info.plist and delete words: "NVMTLDevice" and "GeForceMTLDriverWeb".

Before:
<key>MetalPluginClassName</key>
<string>NVMTLDevice</string>
<key>MetalPluginName</key>
<string>GeForceMTLDriverWeb</string>

After:
<string></string>
<string></string> 

Try to disable Metal according this instruction.

Edit GeForceWeb.kext Info.plist and delete words: "NVMTLDevice" and "GeForceMTLDriverWeb".

Before:
<string>NVMTLDevice</string>
<string>GeForceMTLDriverWeb</string>

After:
<string></string>
<string></string> 

Not worked :-/

I get a black screen now with the updated driver on 10.12.2.  After about 1 minute the black screen goes away and OSX finishes its loading fill bar and login screen shows up.  Not sure whats going on.  Definitly related to nvidia web driver.  If I disable osx loads up fine without any black screen for a minute.  

New driver... build 16C68  -  Nvidia Web Driver - 367.15.10.25f02

iBook, Instrument issues still not fixed. :-(

any body can help me? 

i'm using gt 630 and i try using web driver for 10.12.2 but my display blakc and like broken glass my display color. if i using os x default driver my vga memory only read 1GB.

Update on my multi-monitor issues

Nvidia Web Driver - 367.15.10.25f02   I noticed this new one today.  I decided to try it, went from being able to use 2 displays to only 1

Nvidia Web Driver - 367.15.10.25f01   I rolled back to this version and restored the ability to use at least two displays.   Still not able to use 3 like before.

One interesting note, is the Nvidia utility does not show the 367.15.10.25f02 version as being available.

Little bit off topic, but I wrote an email to nvidia, that I would like a christmas present: A driver for Pascal for Sierra

The address I wrote to is info@nvidia.com

:rofl:

Edit: It's just ONE file ( nvdagp100halweb.kext ) that would be required.

+ kernel additions + display settings + API refinements + Power Management + Firmware update + everything else that comes with a completely unknown architecture..

Seriously, ask yourself how well the one file idea is working out for the 970 in your sig.

hehe, i think pascal should not be THAT unknown, at least for nvidia, everything else is already there. at least I didn't have to make a firmware update to use a pascal card, YMMV.

And do you think that power management is really that complicated when they have already a perfectly working driver for win, linux, freebsd and whatnot?

But to give you one point about your post, yes, cuda should be upgraded aswell for a good working system.

BTW, the "+ kernel addition" I am talking about is called a .kext (=kernel extension) file, but hey, after all it's just a wish which i deposited.

No joking there is nothing there. The maxwell support is piggy backed on whats there from kepler and its not really even enough for 10.12 as it is. My 970 replaced a 770 and I can see directly on how its effected. You are thinking now 2 generations later it will be just a hal driver that adds support and its far more complicated than that.

why should Nvidia put much money (developer income) in dev of Gpu drivers of non existing nvidia Mac gpus if apple dont buy any pascal gpu or very less other nvidia gpus compared to the other market?

They will do nothing for "us" - hackintosh users. So we can only pray that apple will put more and newer nvidia gpus in their macs.

But i think the future for that isnt good - it can get even more bad (gpu support for nvidia > kepler) than now.

More off topic stuff, but as there is not happening very much right now at the "nvidia web driver update" front:

It would be very important for nvidia to keep the cuda market going strong. Lots of good programmers use a mac, if there would be a better support I can imaging a huge market for "external compute accelerators", PCIe to usbC connected boxes, where you can do deep learning and neural network stuff and easily connect VR gear.

OK, I admid this is just dreaming and is better be done with linux or windows. Maybe apple has lost it's innovative and creative forefront reputation after all?? :angel_not:

OK, I admid this is just dreaming and is better be done with linux or windows. Maybe apple has lost it's innovative and creative forefront reputation after all?? :angel_not:

Creative people and professionals just want a stable system that allows them to do what they need to do. Apple's annual "lets see what we can break this time" system updates aren't providing this. Or their increasingly "courageous" approach to hardware.

And the old argument of "well you don't have to upgrade" doesn't fly when you find out that in order to update or run program X that yes you do in fact have to upgrade.

For all that bitching, I'll still use macOS over Windows but it wasn't always this hard. I'm just glad I'm techy enough to be able to deal with it.

updated to new nvidia drivers on 970 on 10.12.2 and takes a good minute of black screen before login window shows. if I nv_disable the drivers it loads right away, so its something with the nvidia web driver. Any idea how to get logs of what is going on with nvidia web driver?

macOS 10.12.1 I have problem with NVIDIA Quadro 2000 Web-driver 

I did every thing right with the EDID but the driver still give me this problem that I can't explain in the attached pic 

post-1760055-0-10799400-1482766030_thumb.png