[GUIDE] Installing macOS on ASUS K501L

86 posts in this topic

Note: I'm about to update this guide & installation pack to v2.0. This will take a few days, so stay tuned.  ^_^

rlZ46HQm.png

For the Vietnamese guide, please visit HERE.

About the supported models

Perhaps you don't know, but in my old (and now deprecated) guide posted at OSX.VN, I received a lot of questions like "Is this guide applicable to my ABC laptop?" or "Can you help me installing OS X on XYZ laptop?". For me I consider those questions are annoying, as I think they should know the fact that a guide for one model cannot be applied in the same way to another model; it should be adapted. So here in my new guide, I have to state that this guide is designed for ASUS K501LX, and can be applied in a very similar way to K501LB but not for other laptops. Therefore users with other models should only take this guide as reference only. Here below is my table of support degree:

cx7C54Zh.png

Before posting your question, you should check whether your model is supported in this table, and should include the hardware specification in your question's content or signature. I won't answer any question in the form of "Is this guide applicable to my ABC laptop?" (you should answer it yourself). Any 'asking for help' questions whose hardware specification is not included in the content or in signature will also be ignored.

I hope you will agree and follow the above advices, so that the topic will be kept from unrelated and meaningless questions. Actually I consider myself to be open to questions and feedbacks, it's just that any question posted here should be related to the topic IMO.

Contents

References
Manual update sources
Acknowledgement
I. Hardware specification and current working status
II. Preinstallation
III. Installation
IV. Postinstallation
V. Conclusion
A-1. Postinstall optimization
A-2. How to patch DSDT For ASUS K501LX
A-3. How to generate proper serials for use in SMBIOS
A-4. Information about patching AppleHDA
FAQ

References

This guide, as well as my actual installation progress, are referred to the following sources (maybe I forgot to list some of the sources, but these are the main ones):
Note: Here I will not include the link to the sources but only titles and authors, as some of the sources may violate our forum rules.

• RehabMan:
    • [Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover
    • [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs
    • [Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops
    • [Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops
    • [Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions
    • [Guide] Intel IGPU HDMI/DP audio (Sandy/Ivy/Haswell/Broadwell)
  • EMlyDinEsH:
    • Details about the Smart Touchpad driver Features
    • Details about the Enhanced Keyboard for Smart Touchpad driver
    • Complete AppleHDA Patching Guide
  • Clover Development Team:
    • Clover Wiki/Configuration
    • Clover v.2 Instructions
  • Đinh Hải Nguyên:
    • [Guide] AIO Guides For Hackintosh
  • Bùi Minh Bình:
    • TẠO USB CÀI ĐẶT OS X (GUIDE FOR NEWBIE PHẦN 2) — UPDATE
  • Nguyễn Minh Khôi:
    • Hướng dẫn hoàn thiện máy Asus đã cài xong OS X
  • Machanical:
    • [Guide] Asus ZenBook UX303LA (Broadwell Edition)
  • Mirone:
    • Guide to patch AppleHDA for your codec
  • Austere.J:
    • [Guide] Intel HD Graphics 5500 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
  • jaymonkey:
    • How to fix iMessage
  • holyfield, Pike R. Alpha and many others:
    • Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board)
  • Hervé:
    • Performance tuning with FakeSMC & SMBIOS plist
  • Zoltankr:
    • AR9280 ATHR: Unknown locale: xx - EEPROM Mod
  • thePSGuy, Pike. R. Alpha:
    • Incompatibility with Broadwell SMBIOS, works with Haswell on 5500U
  • Other:
    • SMBIOS Broadwell

Manual update sources

The latest version of the kexts and some of the tools used in this guide can be found here, if you want to update them by yourself instead of waiting for my updates:

Acknowledgement

The work of getting El Capitan run smoothly on my laptop with nearly all the hardware recognized could not be done without the help and contributions of many people. Here in this guide, I would like to thank:
  • The authors of the guides and posts that I referred to. Those useful documents made the OS X installation process become easier and helped me to optimize OS X after install.
  • The authors of Clover Bootloader and all the kexts and tools used in this guide. A lot of works have been made to the development of these kexts and tools, and the benefits that they bring are undeniable.
  • Sơn Huỳnh for answering some of my questions during the error-fixing progress after installation.
  • RehabMan for helping me solve the black screen issue after wake and suggesting the methods to deal with some problems such as disabling discrete graphics card and USB 3.0 on El Capitan. His collection of tiny SSDT samples also helped me to implement the 'hotpatch' method in this guide.
  • Mirone for his various AppleHDA patch samples for Realtek ALC233 codec, which helped me to correctly patch AppleHDA for my codec.

and the others that I forgot to mention.

• Like 2

I. Hardware specification and current working status

1. General information

There are several versions of K501LX model selling on the market, each has differences in:

• CPU: i7 - 5500U, i5 - 5200U or i3-5010U (all of them have the same integrated GPU of Intel HD 5500).
  • HDD: 500GB to 1TB.
  • SSD: Yes/No (M.2 2280).
  • WiFi: Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n or Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

I will try to support all of them in my guide. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Detailed specification and current working status

CPU

• Model: Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.4GHz (TurboBoost 3.0 GHz).
    • Speedstep recognized with all P-States.
    • CPU/iGPU can be throttled down to 800MHz/600MHz at idle.
  • Method:
    • Use SSDT.aml generated by Pike R. Alpha’s ssdtPRGen.sh script.
    • Install X86PlatformPlugin_K501LX.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement_K501LX.kext to reduce idle frequencies of CPU and iGPU.

Integrated GPU

• Model: Intel HD Graphics 5500.
    • Worked with QE/CI, no display problem.
    • Native HDMI output.
  • Method:
    • Change Pre-DVMT Allocated to 64/128MB in BIOS settings.
    • Inject ig-platform-id = 0x16260006 in config.plist or DSDT.

Discrete GPU

• Model: nVidia GeForce GTX 950M.
  • Status: nVidia Optimus is not supported by OS X so I disabled the nVidia card.
  • Method: Patch DSDT to disable nVidia card.

Monitor

• Model: LCD 15.6" @ 1920x1080, eDP connection.
    • Worked at native resolution, brightness adjustable.
    • Supported HiDPI and Splendid Color Profile.
  • Method:
    • Install IntelBacklight.kext + patch DSDT to enable brightness adjustment.
    • Use SwitchResX if you want to switch to 1280x720 HiDPI resolution.
    • Extract proper color profile for your monitor from Splendid Utility.

Hard Drives

• Model:
    • Seagate HDD 500GB 5400rpm.
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO M2 256GB installed.
  • Method: Patch IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext on-the-fly in config.plist to enable TRIM.

LAN

• Model: Realtek RTL8111 Gigabit Ethernet.
  • Method: Install RealtekRTL8111.kext.

Wi-Fi

• Model:
    • Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 (bundled).
    • Dell Wireless DW1702 - chip Atheros AR9285 (replacement).
  • Status: The bundled one did not work. The replaced one worked.
  • Method (for Dell DW1702):
    • Install AtherosARPT.kext to inject supported device IDs.
    • Modify the card’s ROM to fix ‘ATHR: Unknown Locale 60’ warning.

Bluetooth

• Model: Dell Wireless DW1702 - bluetooth chip Atheros AR3011 (replacement).
  • Method:
    • Natively recognized by OS X.
    • Install BTFirmwareUploader.kext to load firmware at boot.

Webcam

• Model: USB2.0 VGA UVC Webcam.
  • Method:
    • Natively recognized by OS X.
    • Install CustomPeripheral.kext to fake device information into FaceTime HD Camera.

Card Reader

• Model: Realtek USB2.0 SD Card Reader.
  • Method: Routing USB2.0 ports to EHCI controller may help (not tested yet).

Audio

• Model:
    • Realtek ALC233.
    • Intel HDMI Audio.
    • Speaker, headphone and internal mic worked.
    • External mic (through combo jack) did not work.
    • HDMI audio worked.
  • Method:
    • Realtek ALC233:
      • Install AppleHDARealtekALC233.kext.
      • Inject layout-id = 3 in config.plist or DSDT.
      • Patch AppleHDA.kext on-the-fly in config.plist.
    • Intel HDMI Audio:
      • Inject layout-id = 3, hda-gfx = onboard-1 in HDAU and IGPU.
      • Patch AppleIntelBDWFramebuffer.kext on-the-fly in config.plist to correct the connector type to HDMI.
    • Install CodecCommander.kext to reenable audio after sleep.

USB

• Model: Intel 9 Series USB (2x USB 3.0 ports + 2x USB 2.0 ports).
    • All the ports worked at full speed.
    • Instant wake issue was solved.
  • Method:
    • Add DSDT patch in config.plist to rename EHCx to EH0x.
    • Inject USB properties in config.plist
    • Patch DSDT to fix instant wake problem.

Battery

• Model: 48Wh Li-Ion 3 Cells (4 - 6 hours usage).
  • Status: Battery information and status recognized correctly.
  • Method: Install ACPIBatteryManager.kext + patch DSDT.

Touchpad

• Model: ELAN Touchpad with ASUS Smart Gesture.
  • Method: Install ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext.

Keyboard

• Model: Full-size keyboard with ASUS-style function keys, backlit included.
    • Worked, all function keys recognized.
    • Support 16-level backlit brightness.
  • Method: Install ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext + AsusNBFnKeys.kext + patch DSDT.

Sleep/Wake

• Status: Worked (with a moderate delay to enter sleep mode).

iMessage/FaceTime

• Method: Use SerialGen.py script to generate your own system serial + board serial for SMBIOS.

II. Preinstallation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFU7KiVF--c&list=PL28WpAHlndGCSJ5lkX_AajKctCqoSnidU&index=1

1. Requirements

• A working Mac or Hackintosh.
  • Install OS X El Capitan.app downloaded from App Store.
  • Installation pack for ASUS K501LX (download HERE).
  • Tools to support the installation process (download HERE):
    • EFI Mounter v3
    • IORegistryExplorer v2.1
    • KCPM Utility Pro v5.1
    • MaciASL v1.31-RM
    • Property List Editor v3.1
  • An USB flash drive with capacity of 8GB or higher.
    • Recommendation: an USB 3.0 flash drive with capacity of 16 GB.
  • BIOS updated to the latest version.
    • You can visit the product’s website to download BIOS updates.
    • At the time of writing, the latest BIOS version for K501LX model is 206.

2. How to make the installation USB
Step 1: Unzip the installation pack on your Desktop.
Step 2: Erase your USB with Disk Utility.

• Remember to set Scheme as GUID Partition Map and Name as install_osx before clicking Erase.

Step 3: Open Terminal and run this command to extract the Mac OS X setup to your USB (password required):

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_osx --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

The time createinstallmedia will take depends on your flash drive speed, which is usually 5 – 15 minutes.
Step 4:

• Open EFI Mounter, then mount the EFI partition on your USB.
  • Copy the EFI folder in the installation pack to the mounted EFI partition.
  • Copy the following files in the installation pack to their appropriate paths in the EFI partition:

bYZF0x6l.png

Step 5:

• Browse into /EFI/CLOVER/ folder, then open your config.plist with a plist editor (e.g: XCode or PlistEditPro).
    • You can also use Property List Editor.app included in my installation package.
  • Follow Appendix A-3 to generate your own system serial + board serial, then apply it into SMBIOS section in your config.plist.
    • Although the Mac model of choice in this guide is MacBookPro12,1, I still include the script to generate serials for MacBookAir7,2 model. It is still unknown whether which model will give better performance, though I guess it should be MacBookPro12,1.

Finally, save your config.plist, and now your installation USB is ready for use. :D

III. Installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAw8eusrZI&list=PL28WpAHlndGCSJ5lkX_AajKctCqoSnidU&index=2

Step 1:

• Restart your computer, then enter BIOS settings.
  • Browse into Advanced -> Graphics Configuration section.
  • Change DVMT Pre-Allocated to be 64MB or 128MB (mine is 128MB).
  • Save your BIOS settings and restart.

Step 2:

• Press ESC multiple times to show the boot device list.
  • Select the UEFI entry corresponding with your installation USB to start Clover Bootloader.

Step 3:

• Select and boot Mac OS X setup on your installation USB. It is recommended to boot in verbose mode so that you can get the boot log if any error happened.
  • If no error happened, your computer would successfully go through the boot process, and OS X Utilities window would appear.

Step 4:

• Open Disk Utility and partition your hard drive.
    • The Mac OS X partition should be at least 40 GB.
    • If you already installed Windows before and left a FAT32 partition for OS X installation, then just erase that partition to OS X Extended (Journaled).
    • If you used Windows Setup to partition your hard drive, then the EFI partition size would be 100MB, and would cause error when erasing your OS X partition with Disk Utility. This problem could be fixed by using a live Linux USB with GParted to resize your EFI partition to more than 210MB.
    • If the current partition scheme of your hard drive is MBR, then you will have to convert it to GPT. However, this could make your Windows partition unbootable. The simplest (and also the dumbest) way would be to backup your data to an external drive, then completely erase and repartition your hard drive.
  • When you finish partitioning your hard drive, close Disk Utility to go back to OS X Utilities window.

Step 5:

• Open Install OS X.
  • Click Continue -> Agree.
  • Select the destination partition, then click Install.
  • Wait for the installer to complete Phase 1, then it will automatically restart your computer.
    • Although the installer will display About a second remaining, but you may have to wait 5 – 10 minutes actually, so please be patient. 

Step 6:

• Perform Step 2 and Step 3 to boot into your installation USB.
  • The OS X Installer window will appear and continue Phase 2 to install Mac OS X to your partition. Upon completion, your computer will automatically restart.

Step 7:

• Perform Step 2 to start Clover Bootloader. However, select and boot into your OS X partition instead of the installation USB.
  • After booting successfully, the wizard to set up a new Mac will appear.

Step 8:

• Follow the instructions to set up Mac OS X on your Hackintosh and create your account. It is recommended to set up a local account instead of using your Apple ID.
  • After completing the process, the interface of OS X El Capitan will appear.

Mac OS X is so beautiful, right? But it’s not done yet.  ;)

IV. Postinstallation

mqdefault.jpg

Click on the image to watch the video. Sorry for the limitation of 2 videos per post.   :(

Step 1:

• Open EFI Mounter, then mount the EFI partition on your installation USB
  • Copy the EFI folder inside the partition to your Desktop.
  • Eject the EFI partition of your USB, then mount the EFI partition on your hard drive.
  • Copy the EFI folder on your Desktop to that partition.

Step 2:

• Open the Kexts folder in your installation pack.
  • Install all the kexts provided to /Library/Extensions (not /System/Library/Extensions) with KCPM Utility Pro, except CustomPeripheral.kext.
    • CustomPeripheral.kext should be installed later, as it requires Info.plist modification.
  • The kext cache will be rebuilt at the time when you restart your computer, but as this process may take a long time, you may want to rebuild the cache by yourself. If so, open Terminal and run the following command:
    sudo kextcache -u / -v 6
    It may take about 5 - 10 minutes for the kext cache to be rebuilt.

Step 3:

• Restart your computer, then enter BIOS settings.
  • Browse into Boot tab, then select Add New Boot Option to create a new UEFI boot entry.
    • Select Add boot option, then set the name of the new entry to anything you want (e.g: Clover Bootloader).
    • Select Path for boot option, then set the path of the new entry to [EFI partition on your hard drive]:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI.
    • Select Create to create your new Clover boot entry.
  • Set the Boot Option #1 to be the newly created entry.
  • Save your BIOS settings and restart your computer.

Step 4: If you setup the Clover boot entry correctly, Clover Bootloader on your hard drive will automatically start. Select and boot into your OS X partition.
If no error occurred then congratulation, you have just finished installing OS X El Capitan on your laptop. You can open config.plist to configure your boot preference (e.g: changing boot timeout, creating custom entries, etc.).  :D

V. Conclusion

So you’ve successfully installed El Capitan on your ASUS K501LX laptop, and the process wasn’t too complicated, was it? That was thanks to the preconfigured kexts, tools and patched ACPI tables, which made the installation process become much easier. For me, to get El Capitan run smoothly on my laptop, as well as to write this guide, I had to do a lot of works by myself, including installing OS X, configuring the kexts, patching DSDT, patching AppleHDA, etc. That was a pretty hard experience but also full of fun, and I believe that you will get a lot of useful knowledge about hardware, software, operating system, etc. during the installation progress and after that. ASUS K501LX is a beautiful laptop, and after installing Mac OS X it looks even more splendid that could surpass the MacBook Pro or MacBook Air (of course it cannot match the performance and stability of those from Apple).

This guide was made with the purpose to share my knowledge and experiences, as well as to help newbie to install OS X on current laptop models. Its content can be used as a reference source when setting up OS X on other models with similar hardware configuration. This guide was completely written by me, and its content, together with the installation package, are the common properties of the Hackintosh community and are freely provided. The only requirement is to credit my name and link to the original post whenever you share or quote the content of this guide, as well as the provided installation package. If you found this guide useful, please leave a like or thank below the post.

Although I have already checked the content of the guide, as well as the installation package before releasing, mistakes are hard to be avoided. Besides that, this guide is still incomplete, as some of the hardware or functions are not fully recognized or tested yet. Therefore, I’m looking forward to receiving feedbacks and comments from all of you so that I could make the guide better and better. I’ll try my best to update the guide and the installation package until I stop researching on Hackintosh or switch to another computer.

Wish you successfully install OS X on your PC and make it a perfect Hackintosh.

Le Cao Nguyen
  • Like 3

A-1. Postinstall optimization

1. Generate SSDT.aml for your CPU
All the SSDT.aml files in the installation pack are generated on my laptop with Pike R. Alpha’s ssdtPRGen.sh script (the latest version at the time of writing was 18.2). Although I ran the script with -p parameter to specify the target processor, running the script again on your computer is recommended. The steps are as follow:

Step 1: Connect to the Internet. Open Terminal and execute the following commands:

curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh
chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh
~/ssdtPRGen.sh

The script will automatically detect your CPU and generate the SSDT.aml.

• If it showed any warning, you may choose Yes.
  • When it ask Do you want to copy /Users/nguyen/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml to /Extra/ssdt.aml (y/n)?, answer No.
  • For the later questions you may choose No.

jYxCnGfm.png?1

Step 2: Open Finder, click menu Go -> Go to Folder…, enter ~/Library/ssdtPRGen, then click Go. You will see your generated SSDT.aml in the opened ssdtPRGen folder.

Step 3: Mount the EFI partition with EFI Mounter, then copy the SSDT.aml file to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder for use.
To check whether P-States are fully recognized, you can:

• Use AppleIntelInfo.kext (you may have to install XCode to build the kext).
  • Or open IORegistryExplorer, browse into CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/X86PlatformPlugin and check the CPUPStates entry in the right list.

2. Configure the resolution and display color
On Windows 10, I usually scale the display to 150% at native resolution (1920x1080) so that I can better see the texts and objects. However, Mac OS X doesn’t support the same scaling method on Windows but only allow you to lower the resolution, which will cause everything blurred out.

Luckily, Mac OS X does support a mode called HiDPI (that combine several pixels into one, which is the display method on MacBook Pro Retina). To turn on this mode, you should do the following steps:

Step 1: Open Terminal, run the following command to enable HiDPI mode, then restart your computer:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Step 2: Install SwitchResX. Then click on the app’s icon on the menu bar and select the 1280x720 HiDPI entry. That will scale up everything to 150%, but details are still sharp like at native resolution.

3KVjj0hm.jpg

In addition, ASUS has a utility called Splendid that makes the display color more dynamic or eye-friendly. The utility’s mechanism is to activate the proper color profile for your display, and it can be brought to Mac OS X. The steps are as follow:

Step 1:

• Open SwitchResX Preferences, then go to the Unknown Monitor section at the bottom of the left sidebar.
  • Get your monitor’s Vendor ID and Product ID. Then byte-flip the Vendor ID and combine with the Product ID.
    • For example, the monitor on my laptop is produced by AU Optronics with Vendor ID 0x06AF and Product ID 0x38ED. Therefore the final result would be 0xAF0638ED.

v1aww6qm.png?1

Step 2:

• Install Splendid Utility on Windows.
  • Browse into C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Splendid\icm folder, you will see a lot of color profiles (.icm files) in there.
  • Select the .icm file that corresponds with your laptop model and monitor, then save it to a backup place.
    • For example, the appropriate color profile for my monitor should be K501LX_8086_AF0638ED.icm.

Step 3: Boot into Mac OS X, then copy the saved .icm file to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder to install the color profile.
Finally click the SwitchResX icon in menu bar, select Color Profile menu, apply the installed color profile and enjoy.

H8vysMum.jpg

3. Fake Card Reader and Webcam to Apple’s built-in devices
To fake your SD Card Reader into Apple’s Built-In Card Reader, and Webcam into FaceTime HD Camera, we will use CustomPeripheral.kext. The steps are as follow:

Note: This kext doesn’t help you to make card reader and webcam working, its purpose is faking information only. You should rather check if there was any issue with your USB controller.

Step 1:

• Open System Information.
  • Go to Hardware -> USB section, you will see all the devices connected to USB interface.
  • Select the USB2.0-CRW entry (which is your Card Reader), get the Product ID and Vendor ID of the device, then convert them to decimal number.
    • For example, my card reader has Product ID of 297 (0x0129) and Vendor ID of 3034 (0x0BDA).
  • Do the same things for USB2.0 VGA UVC Webcam entry (which is your Webcam).
    • For example, mine has Product ID of 46211 (0xB483) and Vendor ID of 1266 (0x04F2).

pA0dEY5m.png?1CGieQGDm.png?1

Step 2: Right-click the CustomPeripheral.kext, select Show Package Contents. Then open Info.plist file in the Contents folder.

Step 3: Expand the IOKitPersonalities property, and you will see a bunch of sub-properties inside it.

• Change the value of idProduct and idVendor keys inside the following sub-properties to the converted Product ID and Vendor ID of your Card Reader:
    • Any_Internal_SD_Card_Reader_1_00
    • Fake Apple Card Reader Device
    • Fake Apple Card Reader Interface
    • Fake Apple Card Reader SBC Inject
    • Fake Apple Card Reader UMC Inject
  • Change the value of idProduct and idVendor keys inside the following sub-properties to the converted Product ID and Vendor ID of your Webcam:
    • Fake Built-in FaceTime HD Camera Device
    • Fake Built-in FaceTime HD Camera Interface A
    • Fake Built-in FaceTime HD Camera Interface B

After editing, save the Info.plist file and install CustomPeripheral.kext to /Library/Extensions.

3TD8Kv0m.png?1cr283kzm.png?1Bhic3UIm.png?1

4. Configure Touchpad and Keyboard
To do this, you have to open the Info.plist file inside ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext or AsusNBFnKeys.kext, browse into IOKitPersonalities -> Smart-Pad / AsusNBFnKeys -> Preferences property, then change the configuration. For details about the meaning and possible values of each property, please read the following guides:

• Details about the Smart Touchpad driver Features
  • Details about the Enhanced Keyboard for Smart Touchpad driver

The original preferences of these kexts are kept originally, except for the following keys:

• ApplePS2SmartTouchpad - Preferences/Keyboard:

1Ux7QYDl.png

• AsusNBFnKeys - Preferences:

XhWOYEel.png

5. Modify the wifi card’s ROM to fix ATHR: Unknown Locale 60 warning
This fix is optional and is only applied to Dell DW1702 card or other Atheros wifi cards that have the issue. Details can be found in the guide AR9280 ATHR: Unknown locale: xx - EEPROM Mod.

6. Improve performance by modifying FakeSMC.kext
By default, FakeSMC will emulate SMC at version 1.3f3 and compatibility setting of smc-napa. This is not correct for the newer PCs and Mac models, and I recommend you to modify these settings to improve the system’s performance (usually GPU will be benefited more than CPU). Details can be found in the guide Performance tuning with FakeSMC & SMBIOS plist.
The FakeSMC.kext included in the installation pack was tweaked to SMC version of 2.28f7 and smc-huronriver compatible.

7. Modify X86PlatformPlugin.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to to reduce idle frequencies of CPU and iGPU
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (for Sandy Bridge and older CPUs), X86PlatformPlugin.kext (for Ivy Bridge and newer CPUs) and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext contain power profiles for every Mac model, which affects power settings and policies, CPU and iGPU frequencies, App Nap settings, etc. By modifying the profile corresponding with your Board-id in SMBIOS, you can reduce the idle frequencies of your CPU and iGPU, thus will save more power, and will make your Hackintosh cooler and quieter.

For the case of Broadwell laptops, we have to look at the power profiles of MacBookPro12,1 (Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6) and MacBookAir7,2 (Mac-937CB26E2E02BB01). Although the three supported CPUs in this guide can reduce their clock to 800MHz at idle, the power profile will force them to run at 1300MHz instead, as it is designed for the CPUs used in real MacBook Pro Early 2015 and MacBook Air Early 2015. The HD5500 iGPU also suffers a similar situation that it will be forced to run at above 300MHz at idle. Therefore we should modify the entries that affect these floor frequencies to the right value.

The steps that need to be performed are:

Note: Always backup the kexts before making any changes to them.

For X86PlatformPlugin.kext:
Step 1: Browse into the kext’s resource folder at:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

You will see a bunch of plist files here, which are power profiles for new Mac models.

Step 2:

• Open the plist file corresponding with the Board-id you are using.
    • For example, if you are using MacBookPro12,1 SMBIOS configuration, you should open Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6.plist.
  • Navigate into IOPlatformPowerProfile -> FrequencyVectors property.
  • Change the second word of the data in FrequencyVectors from 0D000000 to 0800000, and make sure the value of CPUFloor property is 800. This will enable CPU to run at 800MHz at idle.

For AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext:
Step 1: Browse into the kext’s content at:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents

Step 2:

• Open Info.plist, then navigate into IOKitPersonalities -> AGPM -> Machines -> [Your Board-id] -> IGPU -> Heuristic property.
  • Change the value of GT2Floor and GT3Floor properties to 6. This will enable iGPU to run at 300MHz at idle.

Finally save the plist files, rebuild kext cache and restart. You can use Intel Power Gadget (it has a bug that will display the triple of your real iGPU frequency) or AppleIntelInfo.kext to verify if the changes are in effect.

Actually, I included 2 dummy kexts in the installation pack namely AppleGraphicsPowerManagement_K501LX.kext and X86PlatformPlugin_K501LX.kext, which contain the modified power profiles. You just have to install these two kexts to get the effect, thus no need to modify the original kexts.  :D

A-2. How to patch DSDT for ASUS K501LX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tOr27_C0lc&list=PL28WpAHlndGCSJ5lkX_AajKctCqoSnidU&index=4

Although the DSDT.aml file included is already patched, you may want to manually patch DSDT by yourself if:

• Your laptop model is K501LB, which seems to use a very similar motherboard like the one used in K501LX.
  • You want to learn about the DSDT/SSDT patching procedure for K501LX model.
  • You want to apply some patches that are not included in the installation pack to your DSDT.
  • When ASUS releases a new BIOS version, and you want to update your DSDT to that version by yourself instead of waiting for my updates.
  • The FixRegion option in Clover seemed not work well, which made your Hackintosh suffer some stability problem.

To patch DSDT, we will use MaciASL. In the Preferences of MaciASL, remember to set the Compiler Options to ACPI 6.1 (without that, decompiled DSDT would be buggy).

1. Extract DSDT, SSDT and decompile into .dsl files
Step 1: When Clover Bootloader starts, press F4 (no feedback message will be shown). All the ACPI tables will be dumped into /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Step 2: Boot into Mac OS X. Mount the EFI partition, then copy the origin folder above to your Desktop.

Step 3: Open the copied origin folder. Except the DSDT and SSDT files, delete all the other .aml files.

Step 4: Right-click the MaciASL.app, select Show Package Contents. Browse into /Contents/MacOS folder, then copy the iasl61 executable to the origin folder and rename it to iasl.

Step 5: Open Terminal and run the following commands:

cd ~/Desktop/origin/
./iasl -da -dl *.aml
cp ./DSDT.dsl ~/Desktop

The DSDT.aml and SSDT-x.aml files will be decompiled together into .dsl files with the same names, and the original DSDT.dsl will be copied to your Desktop.

From now on, you will work with that DSDT.dsl file, while the origin folder will serve as a backup.

2. Patch DSDT
Browse into /ACPI/Patches folder in the installation pack, you will see a lot of DSDT patches in this folder:

• Some of the patches are basically kept unchanged from the original version.
  • Some are modified to work on K501LX’s DSDT (all the modifications are listed in the changelog at the beginning of the patches).
  • A few patches are made for specific hardwares (like Ethernet_RTL8111, WiFi_DW1702, etc.).

All the patches are selected, modified and tested by me, so there’s no need to apply any other patches, just using them is enough to successfully patch your K501LX’s DSDT.
It is worth mentioning that many of the patches became deprecated, as I migrated the rename patches and IOReg injection patches to config.plist. The benefits of this movement are:

• As Clover applies the rename patches to not only DSDT but also SSDT tables, the SSDT files are not needed to be manually patched anymore.
  • The problem that the Clover’s FixRegion patch is not applicable to custom SSDT files is now eliminated.
  • The number of required patches decreased considerably. 
  • It is now easier to modify the IOReg properties to be injected, as they are now in config.plist.

The deprecated patches are kept in a subfolder for learning purpose, and should not be applied to your DSDT.
The patching steps are as follow:

• Open DSDT.dsl file with MaciASL.
  • Click Patch, click Open, load the patch file and click Apply to apply the patch.
  • After each patch, you should compile to check for any error. If the log displayed no error, you should save the file so that you could revert back if any error happened later.

The effects of the patches and the recommended apply order are listed in the table below:

AyUZvKOh.png

After completing the patch process, compile and save the file as DSDT.aml to your Desktop. Finally copy the patched DSDT.aml file to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched so that Clover will use it.

Note: If you applied Generic Fixes patch but still got compilation errors, then it could be because you didn’t decompile the .aml files together, but only open the DSDT.aml file with MaciASL.

A-3. How to generate proper serials for use in SMBIOS

SMBIOS (System Management BIOS) can be understood as a collection of data tables that describe your system (e.g: model, serial number, CPU information, RAM information, etc.). Here are some important information that can be retrieved from SMBIOS:

HjgnNuH.png

To make your computer look like a real Mac in Mac OS X, Chameleon/Clover allow you to inject SMBIOS information from a configuration file. In the case of Clover, SMBIOS values are read and injected from config.plist -> SMBIOS section. It is highly recommended that these values should be persistent and unique to your computer, otherwise many of Apple services that require verification of system information may not work (e.g: iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime). The SMBIOS properties that affect these above services are:

Di11Ii3.png

At the time of writing, the method to generate a proper system serial has been found out, while in contrast, the correct pattern of MLB serial is still a matter of research. However, Apple seems to have relaxed their strict MLB verification check, so a board serials generated by the currently available tools on the Internet may work with iMessage/FaceTime. However, it is likely that you still have to contact Apple Support to whitelist your MLB and ROM values.

Here in this installation pack, I included 2 scripts written in Python to help you generate system serial and board serial for 2 Mac models: MacBookPro12,1 and MacBookAir7,2. Depending on which model you prefer to use in SMBIOS configuration, you will have to run the corresponding script. In the future, maybe I will convert the script to Swift language and extend the script so it could generate serials for other Mac models.

It is worth mentioning that the deployed serial generation algorithm is based on knowledge and discoveries shared by many people at the thread Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board) on InsanelyMac, as well as my own hypothesis about the pattern of MLB serial. Therefore, I do not guarantee that these scripts could generate a 100% correct MLB serial, but I hope that the serial will work with iMessage/FaceTime on your Hackintosh.

If my explanation is still ambiguous, or if you want to clearly know how to activate iMessage/FaceTime on Hackintosh, please visit the thread How to fix iMessage.

The steps to generate unique serials with the script are:

Step 1: Open Terminal, then run the script with the following command:

python [path to SerialGen_xxx.py]

For example, if you already extracted the installation pack to Desktop, and you want to generate serials for MacBookPro12,1 model, then the appropriate command should be like this:

python ~/Desktop/el-capitan-k501lx/Config/SerialGen/SerialGen_MBP121.py

Step 2: In Phase 1, the script will generate 5 random system serials for your Mac model. Follow the instruction to check if any of the serials is available for your Hackintosh. Then enter the index number of the serial you choose and press Enter to proceed to Phase 2.

Step 3: In Phase 2, the script will generate 5 random board serials corresponding with your selected system serial. Just choose the one you prefer, as they are generated by the same algorithm.

Step 4: In Phase 3, the script will ask if you want to generate a partial config.plist containing SMBIOS information for your Mac model on your Desktop. Just simply choose Yes, the script will do the work and finish.

Step 5: Open both your config.plist in the /EFI/CLOVER folder and the generated config.plist on Desktop. Then replace the SMBIOS section of your config.plist with the generated SMBIOS data in Desktop's config.plist.

Step 6: As the SMBIOS of ASUS K501LX suffers from SId bug (inaccessible System ID), it is recommended to use a custom UUID:

• Open Terminal, then run uuidgen several times to get your own UUID.
  • Apply it to config.plist -> SMBIOS -> SmUUID key.
  • Set config.plist -> SystemParameters -> InjectSystemID to Yes.

Step 7: After editting, save your config.plist and remember to make a backup of it so that you can use the old serials in case of OS X reinstallation.

A-4. Information about patching AppleHDA

Codec: Realtek ALC233
Codec ID: 0x10EC0233
Layout ID: 3
PathMap:

LcRN1mu.png

Pin Configuration:

01471C10    01471D00    01471E17    01471F90
01971CF0    01971D00    01971E00    01971F40
01B71C30    01B71D00    01B71EA0    01B71F90
02171C20    02171D10    02171E21    02171F00
01470C02

Note: At this moment, Line In is temporarily disabled due to causing cracking sound in case of plugging and then replugging headphone.

How to set MuteGPIO?

Look at VREF caps of Node 0x19 and Node 0x1B in codec dump:

Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80 100

The correct MuteGPIO value for Node XX is: 0x500100XX (replace XX with the Pin Complex Node ID)

• IntMic: MuteGPIO = 0x5001001B = 1342242843
  • LineIn: MuteGPIO = 0x50010019 = 1342242841

MuteGPIO for IntSpeaker should always be set to 0.

• Like 5

FAQ

Q: Why is this guide so long and detailed?

A: When I wrote the original Vietnamese guide, our country's Hackintosh community was growing. At that time there were only a few good Hackintosh experts in our community, the number of high-quality guides were pretty small (including the great AIO guides by pokenguyen), and not many of them were carefully written for beginners. So I wrote this guide with the intent to help newbie at installing Hackintosh. Therefore the guide's content is carefully explained and includes nearly all my Hackintosh knowledge.

Sorry if the length of this guide made you feel unpleasant.  :blush:

Q: When I mount the EFI partition with EFI Mounter, I got this error message: Finder got an error: AppleEvent handler failed (-1000). How can I mount the EFI partition?

A: You can use other tools or Terminal commands to mount EFI partition, or just restart your computer and EFI Mounter will work normally.

Q: I used Clover Configurator to change the boot timeout, but when I restarted and booted into OS X, audio was disabled and my system got some graphics issues. How should I fix it?

A: Never use Clover Configurator to edit your config.plist as it doesn't support all of Clover configurations (e.g: Devices/Arbitrary section). To solve this issue, please remake your config.plist (remember to migrate SMBIOS data from the old config.plist).

Q: When I completed the post-installation section and reboot into OS X, audio was not recognized. What should I do?

A: You should rebuild kext cache by using the command in Section IV - Step 2, then restart your computer. If audio still does not work, then the possibilities are as follow:

- You did not install AppleHDARealtekALC233.kext.
- Your config.plist was messed up (e.g: used Clover Configurator to edit).
- The original AppleHDA.kext was deleted or updated, which made the dummy kext not work (e.g: update El Capitan from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4).

Q: Why is the screen glitched when starting Clover?
A: It is due to Clover loading CsmVideoDxe.efi. This driver allows custom boot resolution and partially resolve the 'second stage graphics glitch' on Yosemite and later OS X versions. However, as this glitch is not harmful, I usually disable CsmVideoDxe (by adding entry into config.plist/DisableDrivers) and set config.plist/GUI/TextOnly to Yes to reduce Clover's load time.

Q: After installing OS X, I felt that the multitouch gestures was not smooth, and sometimes the cursor moved automatically or did not move at all. How can I fix these issues?
A: To make the multitouch gestures smooth, open System Preferences/Trackpad, untick and tick again the "Use two fingers to scroll" checkbox, then adjust the scrolling speed.
The second and third issues are caused by ApplePS2SmartTouchpad driver. Unfortunately, there is no complete resolution to these issues at the moment, just a workaround by pressing Fn + F9 twice to disable and reenable the touchpad.

<FAQ will be continuously updated, based on the feedbacks from users.>
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, thank you very much for this guide. It was really useful. However I have the black screen issue after wake. You wrote:

"RehabMan for helping me solve the black screen issue after wake and suggesting the methods to deal with some problems such as disabling discrete graphics card and USB 3.0 on El Capitan."

Can you let me know how to solve it?

I also have this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuWScWLXY4

Next time posting questions in this topic, please include your hardware specs in the signature or question's content.

Did you follow my guide exactly? If not, then I simply cannot help you about your issues. And even the video seems not belong to you.

I guess it's because you set ig-platform-id to 0x1616002 instead of 0x16260006.

Sorry, I'm new here. These are my specs:

ASUS K501LX / i7 5500U / Intel AC7260 / Bios 206. It's the 256GB SSD version.

I followed the guide up to Post Optimization A-1.5 as I think the other optimizations were included in the Installation pack. And yes, video is not mine, but just wanted to show what happens.

I'll see if ig-platform-id is the problem. Thanks for all, this guide is what made me go ahead and install hackintosh, appreciate all your effort.

EDIT: It solved the both issues, but now I think it doesn't detect my GPU, as everything's choppy, and lot of graphic issues.

Hmm, if you already followed my guide, then ig-platform-id should be already set to 0x16260006 in config.plist/Devices/Arbitrary section, so there's no need to set it again elsewhere. Could you give more details about your current GPU issues and what did you do after my previous reply?

And could you send me your IOReg dump + original ACPI tables + current config.plist?

EDIT: Could you go to BIOS Settings -> Boot tab and see if 'Launch CSM' option is enabled or not. If not, please enable it.

Ok, I enabled CSM, everything's still the same. I see white lines when something in the screen moves. I noticed that SwitchResX doesn't recognize the same "Unknown monitor",  it was something similar to what's in the guide and now its vendor is:  unkn - 75...

I used Clover Configuration, mounted EFI partition and loaded my config.plist. Went to the graphic option (where ig-platform-id appears) it was blank, and I changed  to 0x16260006, restarted and now I have these issues. If I remove ig-platform-id, still the same.

EDIT: config.plist https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_aerrbcX1neV29OVF9aZXlLdTQ

Your config.plist was messed up because of using Clover Configurator, please remake it (remember to migrate SMBIOS data to the new config.plist). Next time always use a plist editor to edit config.plist.

You did not send me your IOReg dump + ACPI tables.

No need to set ig-platform-id in config.plist/Graphics, as it was already set in config.plist/Devices/Arbitrary section.

Remove SwitchResX before trying to solve any graphics issues. All the optimizations in Appendix A-1 are optional, you can do them later.

Ok, recreated config.plist. Didn't set ig-platform-id anywhere. I don't have the previous issue shown in the video, so that's something. but I still have the black screen after wake sometimes.

New config: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_aerrbcX1neX2h4UjAxVXNkSUE

Can you let me know how to get the ACPI tables?

EDIT: I'm booting from an external hdd. Could that be related to the wake issue? Sometimes it wakes, but I can't open any app nor restart the system. It stops working

I looked at your config.plist and it seems ok. About the 'black screen after wake' issue, in fact Mac OS X resumes after wake but the monitor displays nothing because of problems related to graphics drivers. I'm not sure if booting from external HDD caused the issue or not, but I think you should reinstall OS X to your internal HDD (keep your config.plist) and check if the problem still persists.

To get ACPI tables, please look at Appendix A2 - 1. - Step 1.

Note: it is easier for me to read a IOReg dump from IORegistryExplorer (open the app, click File -> Save a Copy As) instead of a text file, so please resend it.

And next time you should include every file (config, ioreg, acpi tables) in a zip file and attach to the post instead of uploading them to different hosts.  ^_^

Yes, I'm planning to mount another SSD to install OSX there, just wanted to try it first without having to partition my primary disk which is only 256gb. I found this in reddit about external HDDs

"When OS X sleeps, for some reason it ejects anything plugged in via USB then reconnects it when you wake from sleep. This means that your drive will be disconnected when you sleep. This, obviously, isn't good because that is where your operating system is installed. Its basically ripping out the hard drive while your computer is on."

Attached (config, ioreg, acpi tables) 

If so, then you should install OS X on your internal HDD and report if the problem still persists.  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE v1.1
The installation pack and support tools was updated to version 1.1. Details can be found in CHANGELOG.md.

The guide was also updated according to the changes in the installation pack. These are minor changes, so the steps to install OS X are basically the same as before, and the videos do not need to be updated.

You can apply the updated files in the installation pack to your current system. Be sure to backup your system before making any change.

A new ACPI patching method was introduced for experiment: 'Hotpatch' method using SSDT-HACK.aml. Details are covered here below.

HOTPATCH (EXPERIMENTAL)

First, I would like to say thank to @@RehabMan for his awesome collections of tiny SSDT samples, which helped me to make this method become possible.

1. Overview
In the updated installation pack, I included a new folder named Hotpatch with 3 files inside:

- SSDT-HACK.dsl: The original source code of SSDT-HACK.aml. Its content is based on the DSDT patches for ASUS K501LX.
- SSDT-HACK.aml: The add-on SSDT to be used with native ACPI tables.
- config.plist: This includes the necessary fixes/patches applying to native ACPI tables to make SSDT-HACK work.

The 'hotpatch' method uses SSDT-HACK.aml and an appropriate config.plist as replacement for the old method using custom DSDT.aml. This will bring you these benefits:

- No need to patch/repatch DSDT anymore.
- SSDT-HACK usually will work with further BIOS updates without having to be modified.
- Floating region issue will be completely eliminated.
- SSDT-HACK can be applied to K501LB model.

2. How to apply
If you haven't installed Mac OS X yet, then In Step 4 of Section II. Preinstallation, instead of copying ACPI/DSDT.aml and Config/config.plist, now you have to copy:

- Hotpatch/SSDT-HACK.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
- Hotpatch/config.plist to /EFI/CLOVER/

then just continue the guide as normal.

If you have already installed Mac OS X, then you have to do the following steps:

- Mount the EFI partition of your hard drive.
- Remove DSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, then copy Hotpatch/SSDT-HACK.aml in the installation pack to that folder.
- Remake your config.plist based on Hotpatch/config.plist (remember to migrate SMBIOS data to the new config.plist). Replace the old config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER with the new one.

Remember to backup your old DSDT.aml and config.plist before doing the above steps.

3. Reporting
Although I tested this method on my laptop and it worked perfectly, I'm not sure that it will work on yours. So I would be grateful if you guys could test this method and report the result to me. The hardest patch I implemented in this SSDT-HACK is battery status recognition, so please test this carefully. I would be more grateful if you could give me a detailed report, which includes the following things:

- Model, hardware specs and the test result.
- Original ACPI tables (dumped by Clover F4).
- IOReg dump (by IORegistryExplorer).
- Clover boot log (you may use bdmesg or DPCI Manager to retrieve the log).

If I receive many successful reports, this will become the official method for ACPI patching in the next release (of course I will still keep the legacy patches for reference purpose).

And btw, have a nice day  :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally cloned the installation to the new SSD, but unfortunately, I still have the black screen after wake issue  :(.

I updated to 1.0.1 and it's booting fine.

You should make a new installation instead of cloning.

It's glad to hear that v1.0.1 worked on your laptop. Is the black screen issue solved? Are there any other issue?

My model Asus k501LX-EB71 i7 5500U / Bios 206. 256GB SSD version. I just flashed new bios 260 , with v1.0.1 i was able to install 10.11.5, only issue is the same as the youtube video, i have to close the lid for 20 seconds, problem solve.  I just copied ACPI/DSDT.aml kext my EFI. Do i need to patch 1 my own DSDT?

sleep works for me , after wakeup everything works great =) i can live with the start boot issue for now.   iMessage and FaceTime worked perfectly , add new FAKESMC with CPU sensor, 38-49 c nice temps without the nvidia 950m.

Thank you for you guide, works great i just need to go back to find out how to fix boot start video issue.

My model Asus k501LX-EB71 i7 5500U / Bios 206. 256GB SSD version. I just flashed new bios 260 , with v1.0.1 i was able to install 10.11.5, only issue is the same as the youtube video, i have to close the lid for 20 seconds, problem solve.  I just copied ACPI/DSDT.aml kext my EFI. Do i need to patch 1 my own DSDT?

sleep works for me , after wakeup everything works great =) i can live with the start boot issue for now.   iMessage and FaceTime worked perfectly , add new FAKESMC with CPU sensor, 38-49 c nice temps without the nvidia 950m.

Thank you for you guide, works great i just need to go back to find out how to fix boot start video issue.

1. There's no BIOS ver. 260 for K501LX.

2. About video issue, go to BIOS setting -> Boot tab and enable CSM.

3. There's no need to patch your own DSDT. You may want to try the hot-patch method I described in v1.0.1  ^_^

and how did you successfully activate iMessage and FaceTime? Please let me know  :D

• Like 1

With windows 10 Asus flash it to Version 206. 

Description BIOS 206 Fix the system can't boot with SAMSUNG memory 04/11/2015. AsysTek https://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/3/788/0/1/cgSxMlZWmrvUbTYS/41/ 

I going to try the hot-patch method

add 

/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched   SSDT-HACK.aml Remove SSDT.aml too ?

Remove DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml ? in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched both need to be here SSDT-HACK.aml SSDT.aml 

I fallowed How to generate proper serials for use in SMBIOS added my serial of old 2010 macbook air (Died 2015) for use in SMBIOS I was able to use imessage Facetime =) 

Do you have BIOS 205?

Going to try this after i get home. 

BIOS setting -> Boot tab and enable CSM.

Thank you again, failed too many times before until fallowed your guide, 

add 

/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched   SSDT-HACK.aml Remove SSDT.aml too ?

Remove DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml ? in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched both need to be here SSDT-HACK.aml SSDT.aml 

1. Always backup your DSDT.aml and config.plist before making any change.

2. Keep SSDT-HACK.aml and SSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, remove DSDT.aml.

3. Remake your config.plist based on Hotpatch/config.plist, remember to migrate SMBIOS data.

2. Keep SSDT-HACK.aml and SSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, remove DSDT.aml.

3. Remake your config.plist based on Hotpatch/config.plist, remember to migrate SMBIOS data.

enabled CSM no more video issue at booting, sleep still works. 

already backup files , I going to try the hot fix tomorrow. Thanks 

The hot patch hack works for me too, sleep , wake, sound ,Wifi card was replace native ,  so far no more issues.  had to login again to face time and iMessage iCloud to make it work after i migrate SMBIOS confit.plist info. Thanks 

I can confirm Asus k501LX with BIOS 206 works with you guide. Thanks again 

enabled CSM no more video issue at booting, sleep still works. 

already backup files , I going to try the hot fix tomorrow. Thanks 

The hot patch hack works for me too, sleep , wake, sound ,Wifi card was replace native ,  so far no more issues.  had to login again to face time and iMessage iCloud to make it work after i migrate SMBIOS confit.plist info. Thanks 

I can confirm Asus k501LX with BIOS 206 works with you guide. Thanks again 

Glad to hear all of those.  :lol:

Update to clover V2.3K_r3642 to be able to install macOS 10.12 Sierra Public Beta, same process. So far looking forward to the full release.  Siri is a plus  :thumbsup_anim:  10.12 loads 1 sec faster   :D

nguyenlc1993 Thanks again for detailed guide. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your very detail guide :) I have been successful hackintosh my Asus K501lx. Everything works correctly except turbo boost function. I checked CPU frequency with Intel® Power Gadget. Max frequency was 2.20 Ghz but I know it could reach 2.70 Ghz in turbo boost. I've searched google pretty much and found some information related to smbios. They said that smbios macbook pro could not turbo boost. Is it right? If not so how can I activate turbo boost? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your very detail guide :) I have been successful hackintosh my Asus K501lx. Everything works correctly except turbo boost function. I checked CPU frequency with Intel® Power Gadget. Max frequency was 2.20 Ghz but I know it could reach 2.70 Ghz in turbo boost. I've searched google pretty much and found some information related to smbios. They said that smbios macbook pro could not turbo boost. Is it right? If not so how can I activate turbo boost? Thanks in advance.

You can remove DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext and test again if TurboBoost work or not. Better use Pike's AppleIntelInfo.kext to check for P-State.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello- I have the K501UX which is similar but 4k screen (probably more differences than that). For months I've tried to get OS X running on it, and did at one point, but without trackpad/internal HD and with choppy graphics. So I was thrilled when I saw this post, thinking maybe this computer was close enough to mine to work, but alas, following this tutorial I can't even get the installer to appear, keep getting stopped during the white text for unknown reasons.

Knowing more than me, should this tutorial be at all relevant to my computer, or should I keep looking?

Hello- I have the K501UX which is similar but 4k screen (probably more differences than that). For months I've tried to get OS X running on it, and did at one point, but without trackpad/internal HD and with choppy graphics. So I was thrilled when I saw this post, thinking maybe this computer was close enough to mine to work, but alas, following this tutorial I can't even get the installer to appear, keep getting stopped during the white text for unknown reasons.

Knowing more than me, should this tutorial be at all relevant to my computer, or should I keep looking?

Your hardware platform is Skylake, so this guide won't work.

Hi, my hackintosh is working flawlessly now except for wifi speed. I replaced my unsupported ar9462 with ar9285. I can connect to wifi and use internet with the AtherosARPT.kext you provided, but the internet speed seem to be very slow. I tested it using speedtest.net. My other laptop (with replaced ar9462 card) was easily to get speed around 20mbs while my hackintosh only 1 to 2mbs. That's pretty unusual for me. Do you have any idea how to fix that? Thanks in advance.