supersaiyansubtlety

Poor Download Speeds to Wi-Fi-Connected External Hard Dirve

3 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I recently set up a new modem/wireless router combination in part to have the convenience of a hard drive accessible on my network. Unfortunately I've been sorely disappointed by the transfer speeds to the drive. 

Here is all the relevant information I can think of:

Router: Linksys EA6300 AC1200

Modem: ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0

Hard Drive: Seagate Packup Pluss 8TB USB 3.0 (STDT8000100)

Laptop: MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X 10.11.4

Download speeds are 50-90Mbps, here is a link to a test I did while writing this: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5315226729

Also the router is sitting below the desk my laptop is usually on, so they are literally feet apart from each other. 

The primary source of speed disappointment has been with torrents through Vuze. With the hard drive connected via USB port, total download speeds were usually 5-8 MB/s, and now they only rarely get up to 1 MB/s and are often in the area of 50KB/s. 

Does anyone know of anything I can do to improve upon this? 

Thanks

Advertisement

El Capitan has given me so much trouble with WiFi, in my Hackintosh, but my girlfriend's Macbook Pro 8,1 with OS X 10.11.4 experiences the same. Random WiFi hangs, random loss of connection... They seem to have messed up a lot with the drivers... That's why I downgraded to Mavericks which is stable as a wall of bricks.

There were WiFi issues in El cap I beleive, try updating, if that doesn't work, try Yosemite.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By End3rPower50
      Hi, is Qualcomm Atheros AR956x compatible with MacOS Mojave 10.14.3?
    • By Bushi93
      Finally Manage to make on of the most powerful and compact Hackintosh available with > the i9-9940X 14 cores + the AsRock X299e motherboard and Vega RX 64 8GB.
      Used for Editing, Motion Design and VFX on Mojave 10.14.3
      Exports time >Four time faster compared to my last i7 6 cores hackintosh.

Need to add a lot of parameters to get the config.plst to work but once it's right it Works very smoothly!
      Turbo Boost up to 4.2 Ghz all core

Geekbench scores
      Multi core : 54000 (above the iMacPro 18 cores)
      Single core : 5200
      GPU : 186 800

Ethernet & Audio work without kext

GPU : The Gygabite VEGA RX 64 required a lowfanspeed.kext otherwise it will always have the fans running in full speed mode (and it can get really noisy).

Bluetooth & wifi (you can get a blue tooth dongle - the Azus works but you may experience some issue or lag sometime so the best solution is to replace the Bluetooth/Wifi card with the Bcm94360cs2 AC + its adaptor:
      https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07HFQKC2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B073XHY68N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      With this card you won't need any kext to make it work : you will get native bluetooth and wifi support and even be able to control your bios and clover with your bluetooth magic mouse / keyboard !

USB3 PORTS : need to add some kext
      1 of the 2 USB 3.1 WORK in full speed > USB C  in 3.1 and for some mysterious reson the other USB type A in 3.1 work as USB 2 only
      The other 4 USB3 work fine and the 2 USB3 of my front IO (NCASE M1) work fine too 

XRP RAM OVERCLOCK : YES
      CPU Overcloking to 4.5GHz may work but did experience some freeze/crash and didn't notice any increase in render time when activated.

Here is a quick overview of my setup

• By valueimagery
      Hello,

I've updated via system preference fro 10.14.2 to 10.14.3 successfully. However, I've lost location services for Siri and Maps.

Anyone else?

I've tried a little trial and error troubleshooting but no luck...
      SysPref->Privacy->Location Services is enabled with all settings checked. I've tried to disable and enable, but not luck.

I tested booting from previous backup of 10.14.2 install/uefi (pre update) and Location Services worked.

Prior to OSX update I also updated to latest clover, WEG, Lilu, AirportBrcmFixup, AppleALC.

So I tested by downgrading all of the above one at a time to the previous state, and still no Location services on 10.14.3

I've used kext utility to repair any broken kexts.

I've also tried forcequiting from activity monitor:
      com.apple.geod

And I've Try Deleting:
      Library/Preferences/com.apple.GEO.plist
      Library/Containers/com.apple.geod

I've booted into a guest user and this did not allow location services either.

My build is using a native Broadcom BCM94352Z Dell DW1560 and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext + BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext

Any thoughts?
    • By ucif19
      Hi, First of all, sorry for my English.
      I want to buy a WiFi/bt card for my hackintosh. I want a card that have a native support for MacOS because I need to use Handoff and AirDrop. I saw the card in the link below: anyone could tell me if the card have the requirements I mentioned before?

wifi/bt card  Broadcom 94352Z DW1560: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.it%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272204993348

my build
      macos Mojave 10.14.3
      mobo: H170N-WiFi 
      cpu: i5-6500
      gpu: gtx 1060 6gb (not work on Mojave)
      Ram: 16Gb ddr4 2133 MHz