Help with brightness patch intel hd5500

mendietinha

14 posts in this topic

i got it all working on an acer e5-471 but the internal display.

here are the scenarios>

>without pnfl patch: monitor show up with 20% brightness, no slider of course

>with haswell/broadwell brightness pnfl: monitor fades out in second boot stage, can see only shadows, there is slider but no effect

>with haswell/broadwell brightness pnfl modified removing all values but the last 3. the max, the battery and one lower to serve as the first valid value: boot fine, slider has no effect, and the laptop goes to sleep every 30 secs.

im using acpibacklight kext, but the intel one also from rehabman didnt work. 

ill attach all my dsdts/ssdts/config.plist to see if something can be done to fix this issue. display fading to zero brightness, only shadows and cant control the slider. thank you so much any help.

ps: the only way the internal monitor is recognized is using 16160000. 0002 gives me only hdmi. 0000 both.

i3 5005u

hd5500

8gb

1tb

dsdtssdt.zip

i got it all working on an acer e5-471 but the internal display.

here are the scenarios>

>without pnfl patch: monitor show up with 20% brightness, no slider of course

>with haswell/broadwell brightness pnfl: monitor fades out in second boot stage, can see only shadows, there is slider but no effect

>with haswell/broadwell brightness pnfl modified removing all values but the last 3. the max, the battery and one lower to serve as the first valid value: boot fine, slider has no effect, and the laptop goes to sleep every 30 secs.

im using acpibacklight kext, but the intel one also from rehabman didnt work. 

ill attach all my dsdts/ssdts/config.plist to see if something can be done to fix this issue. display fading to zero brightness, only shadows and cant control the slider. thank you so much any help.

ps: the only way the internal monitor is recognized is using 16160000. 0002 gives me only hdmi. 0000 both.

i3 5005u

hd5500

8gb

1tb

IntelBacklight.kext (latest version) + "Brighness Fix" (or AddPNLF with Clover) is reported working on Skylake.

will try, but its broadwell.

ps. no results. same thing. fades out, there is slider but no effect. only shadows.

IntelBacklight.kext (latest version) + "Brighness Fix" (or AddPNLF with Clover) is reported working on Skylake.

no results at all. idk what can it be. this is my first broadwell lappy. others guides didnt help either. it works but fades to shadows and i cant use slider to increase.

will try, but its broadwell.

Also works on Broadwell.

ps. no results. same thing. fades out, there is slider but no effect. only shadows.

No idea what you mean.

no results at all. idk what can it be. this is my first broadwell lappy. others guides didnt help either. it works but fades to shadows and i cant use slider to increase.

You will need to provide more details... ioreg.. EFI/Clover, kextcache output, etc.

• Like 1

ioreg, kextst and efi/clover...

thanks a lot!

Need APCI/origin. Press F4 in Clover to collect.

Note: The ioreg shows using ACPIBacklight.kext, not IntelBacklight.kext. Your DSDT is not patched with "Brightness Fix".

Preferred combo: "Brightness Fix" + IntelBacklight.kext.

Might be better with ig-platform-id 0x16260006 (you're using 0x16160000).

• Like 1

Need APCI/origin. Press F4 in Clover to collect.

Note: The ioreg shows using ACPIBacklight.kext, not IntelBacklight.kext. Your DSDT is not patched with "Brightness Fix".

Preferred combo: "Brightness Fix" + IntelBacklight.kext.

Might be better with ig-platform-id 0x16260006 (you're using 0x16160000).

i have tried all those variants. none worked. and with the final 0006 doesnt recognizes the internal lcd, only hdmi. in order to have lcd, it needs to be 0000, in case 16260000. anyway, i have tried all variants with intel backlight instead of acpibacklight.

here is what i test as soon as i read your post:

dsdt> brightnessfix+intelbacklight+16260006 and 16260000(ssdt with no pnfl patch as it hangs if both have.)

ssdt>brightnessfix+intelbacklight+16260006 and 16260000(dsdt with no pnfl patch as it hangs if both have.)

it gave me the very same results as before.

the only two ways to have image in my lcd are:

>no pnfl patch at all and platform ending with 0000, but with screen at 20% brightness and no slider, of course.

>modified haswell/broadwell brightness fix using only high values for high brightness, but as with all other options, no slider control and the computer goes to sleep every 30 seconds.

let me try to explain what happens: the lcd boots fine, but when the second stage boot logo appears, the screen starts to fade, as if something was putting the brightness down till the minimum. after that i can only see a shadow, like when you put the monitor at the minimum level and has no backlight. something is pushing the brightness to the lowest level and the slider is not working to bring it back.

follows my origin tables. thanks again.

origin.zip

i have tried all those variants. none worked. and with the final 0006 doesnt recognizes the internal lcd, only hdmi. in order to have lcd, it needs to be 0000, in case 16260000. anyway, i have tried all variants with intel backlight instead of acpibacklight.

If you want to provide files with the suggested configuration, please do.

here is what i test as soon as i read your post:

dsdt> brightnessfix+intelbacklight+16260006 and 16260000(ssdt with no pnfl patch as it hangs if both have.)

ssdt>brightnessfix+intelbacklight+16260006 and 16260000(dsdt with no pnfl patch as it hangs if both have.)

it gave me the very same results as before.

You can have only one PNLF object. It does not matter where you put it.

You will need to provide files that show what you're doing and clarify what you mean by "same results".

• Like 1

well, i have tried several platform ids with brightness fix and with brightnessfix for haswell/broadwell. all of them that dont have a hdmi conector show only the hdmi and lcd is not recognized, and all the platforms-id that have hdmi i have both, but lcd starts with right brightness but fades to minimum. with acpibacklight or intelbacklight.

i have tried all combinations. all gave me same results. if platformid has hdmi, monitor is properly recognized but as soon as it boots fades to shadows, like i can see the image is there but no backlight. and slider didnt work in any scenario too.

if i dont apply the pnfl and use a plat-id with hdmi, i have internal lcd but at 20%. if i modify your broadwell pnfl patch to use only the higher levels, i have full brightness but no slider control and the laptop sleeps every 30 seconds for some reason.

any other info i can provide. but there must be something with the dsdt, or ssdt, or some small adjustment to the patch in order to not set the level to minimum right at boot and the slider doesnt work later to set up.

If you want to provide files with the suggested configuration, please do.

the files i sent you where booting with 16160000, since with 16160002 and all others with no hdmi on it, the lcd is not recognized.

well, i have tried several platform ids with brightness fix and with brightnessfix for haswell/broadwell. all of them that dont have a hdmi conector show only the hdmi and lcd is not recognized, and all the platforms-id that have hdmi i have both, but lcd starts with right brightness but fades to minimum. with acpibacklight or intelbacklight.

i have tried all combinations. all gave me same results. if platformid has hdmi, monitor is properly recognized but as soon as it boots fades to shadows, like i can see the image is there but no backlight. and slider didnt work in any scenario too.

Not possible to provide help if you can't/won't provide the files associated with the attempt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqtw21jerx6evo9/VID_20160413_164040.mp4?dl=0

here is a short clip of what happens with every possible scenario that has hdmi on platform id therefore lcd is recognized.

what files do you need for other attempts? so i can go on trying and collecting.

thanks again, mate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqtw21jerx6evo9/VID_20160413_164040.mp4?dl=0

here is a short clip of what happens with every possible scenario that has hdmi on platform id therefore lcd is recognized.

what files do you need for other attempts? so i can go on trying and collecting.

thanks again, mate.

Video not requested.

Please provide EFI/Clover, ioreg, kextcache output...