Performance improvement for Core Duo on 10.4.8 kernels?

guiyoforward

12 posts in this topic

I remember that someone pointed out that kernel 10.4.4 was done before the introduction of core duos. Have you guys playing with Core Duo on the 10.4.8 kernel seen any major performance improvements?

Thanks

Uhmm no,

10.4.4 came out with the introduction of the iMac CoreDuos in Jan 06.

My memory may fail, but I remember that the OSX developer version (from which the kernel was used as base for maxxus' hacked version) came out before first Intel iMacs. Apple Developer Machines used that and they didn't have Core Duos or EFI inside.

My memory may fail, but I remember that the OSX developer version (from which the kernel was used as base for maxxus' hacked version) came out before first Intel iMacs. Apple Developer Machines used that and they didn't have Core Duos or EFI inside.

Ahm... But the Kernel we use is the one from 10.4.4! And The first Intel Macs came with 10.4.4 :thumbsdown_anim:

nonsense, this kernel is especially geared toward Core Duo 2

i have seen information about that.

BTW Core Duo 2 has SEE4 support....

I know this but there are no SSE4 instructions in any programs, I think! So there is no need for SSE4 atm! :thumbsdown_anim:

Aperture 1.5 is said to have see4 functions...

FCp 5.1.2 too

maybe more...

Oh, didn't know this! Where did you get this info?

So some instructions are NOT working on core duos??? uh...

That's very odd.

The last patched kernel from 10.4.3 8F111a was around the beginning of Jan 06.

The 10.4.4 patched kernel didn't surface until late Feb, then finalized on Mar 1, 06.

The 10.4.4 release did not run on the DTK, at least it didn't on the one I had. It only ran on the Intel iMac CoreDuo.

Kiko just told me and i investigate, is right theres no sse4 in Core Duo 2, they originally anounced SSE4 in Conroe thats why everybody keep thinking it was, Anyway, Conroe has SSE3 Extra code a Suplemental SSE3, by all menas its only for conroes so yes, the new pro apps are optimized to use that extra SSE3 instructions.

(BTW 6300 and 6400s are Conroe not allendale, allendale is a future intel project.)

look here:

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/fall-idf/index.x?pg=2

Quoting:

.."Many of you familiar with the Core 2 Duo may be surprised to learn that Intel announced a new bundle of instruction set extensions at IDF called SSE4. The Core microarchitecture brought with it a handful of new SSE instructions that folks have casually dubbed SSE4, but Intel now insists the proper name for those instructions is actually Supplemental SSE3. This may be an egregious case of transmogrification, but we'll just have to roll with it.

SSE4 proper won't arrive until the 45nm Penryn core does, and Intel is deviating from its usual course by revealing its plans for SSE4 this early. The company has released a whitepaper that gives an overview of SSE4 and its instructions, but exact implementation details won't be available until they've been proven in 45nm silicon. Intel's decision to show at least some of its hand early here is fortunate, because SSE4 may be the most sweeping change to SSE since the introduction of the Pentium 4."...

About the REAL Allendale:

.."If various rumors originating from Asia are to be believed, Intel is preparing a serious offensive in the sub-$250 processor segment for the first half of next year. Together with some Pentium-branded Conroe-L processors and a cheap Core 2 Duo E4300, loose lips over in Hong Kong are now whispering that Intel will introduce Core 2 Duo chips with cores that feature 2MB of L2 cache natively. Current Core 2 Duo E6300 and E6400 models already have 2MB of cache, but they use the same 4MB core as their more expensive siblings—just with half the cache disabled. The rumored 2MB-native chips would enjoy a smaller die, which should allow Intel to slash its prices. HKEPC says the E6300 and E6400 will both be moved over to the new core in February of next year, likely in order to better compete with upcoming die-shrunk 65nm Athlons from AMD."...