HFS/FDisk/Dualboot ...so close

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm so close to getting this thing booted, it's driving me bonkers. :)

I have two partitions, one for NTFS which is the primary and the other where I've installed Mac OSX.

I know the following has to be done:

* set Mac OSX parition as primary (AF)

* fdisk in the terminal

* copy Win XP item in Acronis and activate Mac OSX partition

Here's the problem though:

Booting directly into Mac OSX partition throws an HFS+ error.

I can't boot into Mac OSX from VMware cause I get an error saying the file system has changed (obviously).

When I try to boot off the DVD from the physical boot menu it stops at this:

Kernal loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI(2.4.0)@0x3ba2700

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(2.4.0)@0x3b5be000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.8)@0x35274000

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1 Tue Jan 3 18:23:53 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.7.90.obj~/RELEASE_I386

So at this point I can't even get to the terminal to do an FDISK.

I tried going into Acronis boot selector and copying the Win XP parition and then setting the Mac OSX parition as active but when I boot into this new parition it just boots Win XP.

If I was to use FIXMBR in Win XP what kind of parameters should I throw the cmd?

I'm a long time reader of this board and I know you guys are the best.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks!

When I try to boot off the DVD from the physical boot menu it stops at this:...

So at this point I can't even get to the terminal to do an FDISK.

I tried going into Acronis boot selector and copying the Win XP parition and then setting the Mac OSX parition as active but when I boot into this new parition it just boots Win XP.

When you boot the install DVD, there are two things you can do:

1. Press F8 and get a Darwin bootloader menu where you choose the OSX partition and boot your OSX installation. I understand this gives you errors and hangs.

2. Instead of pressing F8, just press Enter and go into the installer. Once in the installer, go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

When you copy the Windows icon in Acronis, you then right-click on the icon and select Properties. Give the icon a new name. Then under Partitions, click the partition you want the icon to boot and then check the "active" box. This doesn't set that partition "active" now. It only sets the partition "active" when you double-click the icon to boot the partition.

Other things to check out are here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=216319

I'm going to take the easy way and try to do the install again.

I'm already at the install screen and erasing the old Mac OSX parition.

One question though--

I've noticed that my partitions for the MBS are labelled disk0s1 (windoze) and disk0s2 (mac partition)...

do I still do

> fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

> f 1

> write

> y

> exit

or would I do

>fdisk -e /dev/disk0s2

?

I've noticed that my partitions for the MBS are labelled disk0s1 (windoze) and disk0s2 (mac partition)...

do I still do

> fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

or would I do

>fdisk -e /dev/disk0s2

You are telling the boot sector on the disk which partition to make "active". So, you modify the disk (rdisk0) boot record not the partition (rdisk0s2).

Oh, and "f 1" sets the first partition (Windows) active. Typing "f 2" sets the second partition active (OSX).

Thanks Rammjet.

On the install DVD I did fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 before I customized the packages, then I did a full install.

It asked me to reboot, at this point it came right back to Darwin and it loaded the setup ALL OVER again so I stopped the VMware machine. (Should I have left it to reboot and try the install again?)

I opened Acronis, removed all unnecessary items (only Win XP and Floppy remain).

Did an OS Seletector Wizard: selected the Mac OSX partition as "Bootable" and "Active". Doubled clicked the icon to reboot. HFS+ error! :poster_oops:

Now I'm back in Acronis and I'm coping the Win XP item, setting Mac OSX parition as active and double click (This always takes a while).

I'm almost certain it will throw another HFS even with this.

Apart from trying confusing app you suggested in the last post, should I possibly be trying the chain0 method instead? Or maybe even GRUB?

Thanks again

Are you saying that I should've done > fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > f 2 > write > y > exit ?

Because I tried > fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > f 1 > write > y > exit and it said I needed to reboot first because the volume was in use?

So instead I did >fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 > y > exit and this seemed to work.

lol. So confusing.

Are you saying that I should've done > fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > f 2 > write > y > exit ?

Because I tried > fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > f 1 > write > y > exit and it said I needed to reboot first because the volume was in use?

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 rebuilds the MBR on the hard drive

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 puts you into an interactive mode to modify disk0 (the 1st hard drive)

If you type "p" for print, it will display all of your partitions so you can be sure to select the correct one.

"f" stands for "flag" which is used to set the partition active. Your Windows partition is partition 1 and your OSX partition is partition 2. So, to set the OSX partition active, you type: f 2

But if you are trying to set the Windows partition active (to use Acronis), you would type: f 1

"write" writes the change to disk

But if you are trying to set the Windows partition active (to use Acronis), you would type: f 1

I tried > fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > f 1 > write > y > exit and it said I needed to reboot first because the volume was in use?

> f 1

Device could not be accessed evlusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK [n]

lol wtf?

I tried > fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > f 1 > write > y > exit and it said I needed to reboot first because the volume was in use?

it loaded the setup ALL OVER again so I stopped the VMware machine.

I'm not sure how VMWare fits into what you are doing. Are you running OSX in VMWare? Are you installing it to a virtual disk? Or are you installing it through VMWare to a partition on your hard drive?

I'm not sure how VMWare fits into what you are doing. Are you running OSX in VMWare? Are you installing it to a virtual disk? Or are you installing it through VMWare to a partition on your hard drive?

Sorry.

I'm using VMware to install to a physical disk (per JaS 10.4.7 instructions by bezeek).

Device could not be accessed evlusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK [n]

First, I would answer yes and then reboot. However, if you are running the installer through VMWare on Windows and using OSX to write to the disk MBR, it might be pissed off to find that two different OS's are trying to use the drive at the same time. That is what it means my "exclusively". OSX thinks it should have control of the disk but finds that Windows is also booted and using it.

It might be time to try some of these:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=30322&hl=

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=29859&hl= Start at so what now?