Jump to content
vit9696

AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

4,767 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dear @vandroiy2012, could you please check this codec dump.

My system is DELL Inspiron 5370. It has ALC295.

Issue: 
Internal Speakers: Working
Internal Mic: Working
Headphones/Headset : Detected as Headphones but NO audio


Using layout id-13. (Same result with 28. Layout-id 3 does not work)

codec#0.txt

Edited by aylamrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
8 minutes ago, twsps said:

Same here. Mine isn't working. What macOS version are you on?

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk
 

10.13.6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, aylamrin said:

Dear @vandroiy2012, could you please check this codec dump.

My system is DELL Inspiron 5370. It has ALC295.

Issue: 
Internal Speakers: Working
Internal Mic: Working
Headphones/Headset : Detected as Headphones but NO audio


Using layout id-13. (Same result with 28. Layout-id 3 does not work)

codec#0.txt

Every resource have author. I didn't make resources for this codec.

Look in info.plist to see authors. @daliansky and @vusun123 are here. @Mirone is retired. 

 

54051810_ScreenShot2018-08-06at2_42_48PM.thumb.png.b70a0ee14754c5d1c7b808ef09f11daa.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Every resource have author. I didn't make resources for this codec.
Look in info.plist to see authors. [mention=1543600]daliansky[/mention] and [mention=1171430]vusun123[/mention] are here. [mention=702532]Mirone[/mention] is retired. 
 
54051810_ScreenShot2018-08-06at2_42_48PM.thumb.png.b70a0ee14754c5d1c7b808ef09f11daa.png
But based on what I've researched, it seems like the kext may have some degree to make my cpu temp and frequency go up.

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, twsps said:

But based on what I've researched, it seems like the kext may have some degree to make my cpu temp and frequency go up.

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk
 

Use old method such DummyHDA or AppleHDA patch with the same resources from AppleALC Master to confirm that AppleALC.kext affects on your CPU temperature and frequency. If patched AppleHDA will give same results ask author of resources to help you with this, if CPU temp and frequency will be normal i'll ask @vit9696 help... For now i didn't see problem. Only your hardware have such behavior with this codec... It could be anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vandroiy2012 Hey! It' been a while. I thought you guys abandoned this thread forever. :)))

 

When you have a bit of time, would you, please, take a look at my post here? I would love to know your opinion.

 

Many thanks. Keep up the good work.

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@vandroiy2012 Hey! It' been a while. I thought you guys abandoned this thread forever. :)))

 

When you have a bit of time, would you, please, take a look at my post here? I would love to know your opinion.

 

Many thanks. Keep up the good work.

 

Hello. 

Sorry but i can't help. Shame, but i don't know nothing in resource making. Try to ask resources guru @MacPeet , @vusun123, @insanelyDeepak etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Use old method such DummyHDA or AppleHDA patch with the same resources from AppleALC Master to confirm that AppleALC.kext affects on your CPU temperature and frequency. If patched AppleHDA will give same results ask author of resources to help you with this, if CPU temp and frequency will be normal i'll ask [mention=1135927]vit9696[/mention] help... For now i didn't see problem. Only your hardware have such behavior with this codec... It could be anything...
Look at this post over here, I've tried plenty setups and it seems like it's kext issue
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applealc-high-cpu-temp-system-usage.256574/

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, twsps said:

Look at this post over here, I've tried plenty setups and it seems like it's kext issue
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applealc-high-cpu-temp-system-usage.256574/

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk
 

If you have same behavior with patched AppleHDA with same resources then it is not AppleALC.kext issue. As i told you earlier ask author of resources you are using to determine the problem. Also according to IOReg files your EFI is a mess, but this not a place to discuss it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you have same behavior with patched AppleHDA with same resources then it is not AppleALC.kext issue. As i told you earlier ask author of resources you are using to determine the problem. Also according to IOReg files your EFI is a mess, but this not a place to discuss it.  
Besides the efi partition, id=3 with AppleALC represents as AppleHDAPatcher. However, all three ids 3, 13, and 28 will have the same issue. I have tried a clean install with no kexts but only AppleALC and Lilu but I still have the same problem.

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, twsps said:

Besides the efi partition, id=3 with AppleALC represents as AppleHDAPatcher. However, all three ids 3, 13, and 28 will have the same issue. I have tried a clean install with no kexts but only AppleALC and Lilu but I still have the same problem.

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk
 

I told you try patched AppleHDA with SAME resources from AppleALC master. Without this tests we have nothing to speak about. Only you have such problem. Maybe your Clover setup is incorrect? Maybe your config.plist is a mess? Maybe you use broken/from another laptop DSDT? Maybe your DSDT patched incorrectly? Maybe you use bad/old kexts? Thousand variables... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Look at this post over here, I've tried plenty setups and it seems like it's kext issue
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applealc-high-cpu-temp-system-usage.256574/

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk


I believe this is your laptop issue as I told you before, but you still have to make request for same efi files folder, that other users who owned the same laptop as yours, and test! So if you still have same problem with these files, then you’ll believe that it’s only your laptop issue!
And I already told you to make update for the bios and even check with all bios version of your laptop, but excuse you don’t listen to all things, to fix your laptop problem, and still cry for the problem that persists, do all the possible checks and all the logical things first, try everything that we tell you, because a fix maybe will be one from them or at least you can know what really is the problem instead of telling us it’s AppleALC problem, that i believe it’s not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@aylamrin
I looked at your codec_dump.

 

alc295.png.453c35dbabd67d07410e250a785252e9.png


Your HP device is on node 33, just like layoutID 13 and 28.
Is not different.

What headphones are you trying? 3 pin 3.5 jack or 4 pin 3.5 jack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many messages, Release 1.3.0 is broken, I did not try.
Current AppleALC Master 1.3.1 and Lilu Master 1.2.6 here with no problems with Yosemite, Sierra, HS and Mojave. Inject Layout ID without change as before in the DSDT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

Many messages, Release 1.3.0 is broken, I did not try.
Current AppleALC Master 1.3.1 and Lilu Master 1.2.6 here with no problems with Yosemite, Sierra, HS and Mojave. Inject Layout ID without change as before in the DSDT.

New release will be this week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, MacPeet said:

@aylamrin
I looked at your codec_dump.

 

alc295.png.453c35dbabd67d07410e250a785252e9.png


Your HP device is on node 33, just like layoutID 13 and 28.
Is not different.

What headphones are you trying? 3 pin 3.5 jack or 4 pin 3.5 jack?

 

Thanks @Macpeet.

 

I have tried both types of headphones. Let's call the 3 Pin (TRS) as Headphones, and the 4 pin (TRRS) as iPhone Headset . So I have tried both Headphones and Headset.

 

In both cases, the Sys Preferences detects as Headphones, unfortunately there is no actual audio through the headphones. Audio is back to Internal Speakers again on unplugging.

 

I also tried different values of apple-layout-id (from 0 to 0x0F). Same result.

 

Everything works well in Ubuntu/Windows with Input device type (Headphone, Headset, Mic ?) prompt.

Edited by aylamrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I told you try patched AppleHDA with SAME resources from AppleALC master. Without this tests we have nothing to speak about. Only you have such problem. Maybe your Clover setup is incorrect? Maybe your config.plist is a mess? Maybe you use broken/from another laptop DSDT? Maybe your DSDT patched incorrectly? Maybe you use bad/old kexts? Thousand variables... 
 
What do you mean by same resource? I've tried AppleHDAPatcher with id=3 and it has the same result as AppleALC id=3.

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MacPeet said:

alc295.png.453c35dbabd67d07410e250a785252e9.png

 

Hmm...this seems like a really nice tool! :D Unfortunately I wasn't able to find it anywhere. Could you please, point me to the right direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@arsradu

 

PinConfigurator.zip

 

pinconfig.png.a010e9a3ce069f135b5ff8547ee279fa.png

 

1. Insert verbs from the codec_dump and click "parse data"

 

2. Here any adjustments if necessary

 

3. codec address (usually 0 or 2 / is in the codec_dump) and click Get ConfigData

 

You may have to set EAPD here (see codec_dump):

 

Example add EAPD:
01471c10 01471d00 01471e17 01471f90 01470c02 02171c20 02171d10 02171e21 02171f00 02170c02 01271c30 01271d00 01271ea6 01271fb0

This is the finished PinConfig (example) for info.plist (PinConfigs.kext) for AppleALC master source.

 

Credits:
thanks saxmms for PinConfigurator

Edited by MacPeet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

@arsradu

 

PinConfigurator.zip

 

pinconfig.png.a010e9a3ce069f135b5ff8547ee279fa.png

 

1. Insert verbs from the codec_dump and click "parse data"

 

2. Here any adjustments if necessary

 

3. codec address (usually 0 or 2 / is in the codec_dump) and click Get ConfigData

 

You may have to set EAPD here (see codec_dump):

 

Example add EAPD:
01471c10 01471d00 01471e17 01471f90 01470c02 02171c20 02171d10 02171e21 02171f00 02170c02 01271c30 01271d00 01271ea6 01271fb0

This is the finished PinConfig (example) for info.plist (PinConfigs.kext) for AppleALC master source.

 

Credits:
thanks saxmms for PinConfigurator

 

What an AWESOME tool!! Thank you so much!

 

I had to do this the old fashion way... Manually. :))) I wish I knew about this earlier.

 

By the way, when you have a bit of time, would you be able to take a look at my attempt to make a new layout ID for ALC 892 (motherboard: MSi Z97S SLI Krait Edition)? Link here. I feel like it should....(at least in theory, please don't hit me...) work? It just...doesn't. I haven't tried the newer AppleALC sources... I thought I'd wait for someone to take a look first. I've had so many attempts. Some of the Layout IDs already added (and not by me) to ALC892 (such as Layout 12) didn't work for me... Sooo....at this point, I'm not even sure it's because of the resources I've made... Maybe it's something else entirely.

 

I would greatly appreciate that.

 

Once again, many thanks for this! This is awesome!

Edited by arsradu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can take a look
What's the plan? None of these LayoutID's (1, 2, 3, (4 for laptop), 5, 7, 28, 31, 92, 98, 99) in AppleALC for alc892 works with your MSi Z97S SLI Krait Edition ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, MacPeet said:

1. Insert verbs from the codec_dump and click "parse data"

2. Here any adjustments if necessary

3. codec address (usually 0 or 2 / is in the codec_dump) and click Get ConfigData

 

You may have to set EAPD here (see codec_dump):

 

Example add EAPD:
01471c10 01471d00 01471e17 01471f90 01470c02 02171c20 02171d10 02171e21 02171f00 02170c02 01271c30 01271d00 01271ea6 01271fb0

This is the finished PinConfig (example) for info.plist (PinConfigs.kext) for AppleALC master source.

 

@MacPeet,

 

Many thanks for posting the info on the pin configurator utility ... it looks like it could be a vey useful tool for adding custom codec pin config's to AppleALC
I have a 2017 15" HP Spectre X360 laptop that has ALC295 codec, currently running MacOS 10.13.6 and using AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 (layout-id 3) for HDA Audio all Audio Input and Output devices work perfect.

However in anticipation of MacOS10.14.X tried using AppleALC version 1.3.0 and 1.2.8 but without much success, see this post for more information

 

I'd like to send the AppleALC Devs the pin config for this laptop and tried following your short guide, however i ran in to a few issues ...

Can you please expand on the following questions I have or point me to a more complete usage guide:-

 

1. I've created a codec dump under linux, however when i copy and paste the contents into pin configurator and click on parse data, it correctly identifies the source as Linux but does not fill the data out in the table section (marked as 2 in your example) ... I've attached my HDA Codec dump to this post.

 

2. Can you explain how you derive the two hex strings for the EAPD data ?

 

Alternatively if the attached codec dump is enough for the Dev's to work from then maybe i don't need to extract the Pin Config ?

 

Cheers

Jay

 

HP Spectre X360 Codec Dump.zip

Edited by jaymonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jaymonkey

If AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 (Layout ID 3) works perfectly then it will work with Mojave 1.2.8 or 1.3.0.
Did you set the boot flags for Mojave (-alcbeta -lilubetaall)?
KextInject "YES" in the Clover, not "Detect"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

@jaymonkey

If AppleALC Ver 1.2.7 (Layout ID 3) works perfectly then it will work with Mojave 1.2.8 or 1.3.0.

 

Unfortunately AppleALC version 1.28 and 1.3.0 have issues on my laptop see my post here

 

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×